The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 October 2020, 11:13 AM   #1
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Why SBG?

So i just learned the other day that all GS models start with SBG, then the next letter determines the type of movement. I have the SBGE257, so E for the GMT Spring Drive movement.

So that lends the questions... why SBG? Anyone know?

Any if all GS models start with SBG... why not get rid of it... would be a lot easier for new comers to remember E257.

Also I’ll add - personally I think GS needs a new model scheme. I could understand the appeal for all the different model numbers for Seiko. It’s like a “gotta catch them all” attitude with Seiko. But it’s not the same with GS. Most people aren’t going to buy 10 GS watches like they do with Seiko.

Trim down to the kick ass models, give them easier names to go by, and maybe even give them some nicknames for people to remember. Everyone loves the snowflake.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 12:50 PM   #2
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
They do need better model line cohesion and better naming. They aren’t sure if they want to be like Omega and have a thousand variants of dozens of watches or more like a Rolex where it’s a very consistent lineup of few models.

I’d like to see them cut down the number of models. Pick some simple good names. And stop putting grand Seiko and GS on their dials and switch to their Lion logo only
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote