The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 October 2020, 04:09 PM   #1
829maxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: GO Sixties Fiery O
Grand Seiko help in a 3 watch collection

Thinking of finalizing my 3 watch collection. My collection consists of the GO Sixties Orange, a Tudor BB58 Blue, and a Grand Seiko SBGR019.

I’m currently thinking of upgrading my GS but having trouble figuring out what model to go with to round out my Collection, so I need a little help. I’m going to buy pre-owned and I want to keep it under $5k. I’d prefer it to be either a white/silver or black dial. I also have small wrists (6.25”) for the record so keep that in mind.

Here are the current models I’m considering:

They each have their own positives/negatives and I’m having a hard time making a decision or even just narrowing the list further.

So what you say? Which do you think rounds out my collection the best? Any other suggestions you want to make?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
829maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 05:41 PM   #2
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Nice photo montage.

For me, the choice is between the SBGA285 and the SBGA211.

Let me explain why:
* SBGM227 is out because you already have a sports watch. Also, if you only have one GS, it should have either a Spring Drive or Hi-Beat, IMO.
* SBGA227 is out because it is not a true black dial. You say you want white/silver or black. With two colorful dials in your stable, privilege a true black (or white/silver).
* SBGA225 is out because its white dial is a bit special/unusual. Nothing wrong with that, but as your GO already fills that niche, go for something more classic.

Between the SBGA285 and the SBGA211? That’s a tough one. One has the nicer bracelet and the blued hands are great, but the other has a crisp black dial, which every collection should have, IMHO. If you go SBGA211, which is a very fine choice, I think you’ll inevitably get a fourth watch (this one with a black dial). Can’t go wrong either way.

Personally, I’d go SBGA211 and risk “needing” a 4th watch. It’s just such a nice watch and the best of the bunch, IMHO.

Good luck with the choice!
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 06:10 PM   #3
829maxx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Nice photo montage.

For me, the choice is between the SBGA285 and the SBGA211.

Let me explain why:
* SBGM227 is out because you already have a sports watch. Also, if you only have one GS, it should have either a Spring Drive or Hi-Beat, IMO.
* SBGA227 is out because it is not a true black dial. You say you want white/silver or black. With two colorful dials in your stable, privilege a true black (or white/silver).
* SBGA225 is out because its white dial is a bit special/unusual. Nothing wrong with that, but as your GO already fills that niche, go for something more classic.

Between the SBGA285 and the SBGA211? That’s a tough one. One has the nicer bracelet and the blued hands are great, but the other has a crisp black dial, which every collection should have, IMHO. If you go SBGA211, which is a very fine choice, I think you’ll inevitably get a fourth watch (this one with a black dial). Can’t go wrong either way.

Personally, I’d go SBGA211 and risk “needing” a 4th watch. It’s just such a nice watch and the best of the bunch, IMHO.

Good luck with the choice!

Thank you for the well written reply! My only hesitation with the snowflake is it’s size of 41mm. I have small wrists and for this to be a frequent wearer, I’m worried I’ll wish I had something a touch smaller? Here it is on my wrist from when at the AD.

Old 21 October 2020, 07:11 PM   #4
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

The lugs don’t overhang, so I think you’re good to go. As for the thickness, I think it’s a non-issue and personally like the look/feel - the case & lugs are beautifully sculpted.

That being said, if you have a doubt now, it might never be “right” for you?
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 08:10 PM   #5
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Grand Seiko help in a 3 watch collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by 829maxx View Post
Thank you for the well written reply! My only hesitation with the snowflake is it’s size of 41mm. I have small wrists and for this to be a frequent wearer, I’m worried I’ll wish I had something a touch smaller? Here it is on my wrist from when at the AD.

I have a small wrist and own two GSs. One is 37mm and uses their quartz movement and the other is 41mm with the spring drive movement. I like them both and really like the accuracy of the 37mm. It is a great grab and go watch not to mention extremely comfortable. Below are photos of both on my 6.5in wrist.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 08:18 PM   #6
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Properly sized the 221 will work and has the most interesting dial to me.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 11:48 PM   #7
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

I'd go with the 285. That's not just any old boring black dial. It is a beautiful matte black/charcoal grey that is incredibly versatile. It is a size (39mm) that should work well for you. Just an all around beautiful watch and a Spring Drive for under 4k USD - what a bargain.
mgsooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 02:41 AM   #8
829maxx
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the feedback. This is beginning to be helpful

Old 22 October 2020, 02:46 AM   #9
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I like the new bamboo model for you in the grey or silvery white
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 02:50 AM   #10
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I would prefer SBGM221, one of the most beautiful GS out there!

Maxy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 12:43 AM   #11
R.bartlett
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these as my dress watch (assuming the cream dial isn't too cream) but want to change the strap.

Q :I'm looking to go tan suede ideally with the quick release

Any thoughts and/or recommendations welcome

TIA

Richard
Tenerife
R.bartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 05:49 AM   #12
Moose500
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post

I would vote for this as well, thinking that a GMT will fit nicely into your collection and I love the dial.
Moose500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 07:30 AM   #13
mbc
2024 Pledge Member

That 225 is gorgeous...that would be my vote...
mbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 04:15 PM   #14
nm4710
"TRF" Member

I’d go SBGA211 snowflake. I don’t care for dress watches with crown guards. The GMTs are beautiful but I can’t force myself to like the busy dial with the Arabics. Agree with others that you need a black watch…but GS www a Rolex do it’s lighter colors better (the exception being their limited edition textured dark dials). My wrist is just 7” and the SBGA211 looks great on it.

If you can stomach the GMT dial business I think the SBGJ249 has the best dial color and texture. Horologico in vegas had a limited edition hand wind spring drive that was around 39mm and drop dead gorgeous. Wish I knew the reference.

N
nm4710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 12:58 AM   #15
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm4710 View Post
I’d go SBGA211 snowflake. I don’t care for dress watches with crown guards. The GMTs are beautiful but I can’t force myself to like the busy dial with the Arabics. Agree with others that you need a black watch…but GS www a Rolex do it’s lighter colors better (the exception being their limited edition textured dark dials). My wrist is just 7” and the SBGA211 looks great on it.

If you can stomach the GMT dial business I think the SBGJ249 has the best dial color and texture. Horologico in vegas had a limited edition hand wind spring drive that was around 39mm and drop dead gorgeous. Wish I knew the reference.

N
The SBGJ249 is special (see my other post). Speaking from a collector that has owned 20+ GS. It's more pricey in the high 6 though...
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 12:59 AM   #16
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
The SBGJ249 is special (see my other post). Speaking from a collector that has owned 20+ GS. It's more pricey in the high 6 though...

Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2021, 01:44 PM   #17
Pattymac
Banned

Watch: BLNR
I recommend trying one with the 44GS case - it's very cool. Maybe the SBGA373. The case may be a bit large for your wrist but I would definitely try one on.
Pattymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2021, 04:01 PM   #18
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Agree it should be a Spring Drive or Hi Beat, along with the unbeatable dials, they're the essence of GS...
I've seen the gorgeous SBGA413 "Spring" at around the $5K mark and the SBGA429 "Soko" at around $4k.
I love the Iwate dials, but your GO kinda has that covered.

"Spring"

Soko: ( yes, it is grey rather than black or white...)