The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 1 May 2020, 04:30 AM   #1
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post
Standards too high?

You're down here was us, pal. Standards have nothing to do with it.
Second time you've quoted that same post of mine. I think you may have misunderstood my comment, and I apologize if it wasn't stated well. I believe you when you say that you are aware of a "tell" for Tudor lume.

I only meant to say that I normally expect that watches from a good manufacturer will have reasonably well-aligned lume plots and not be mis-printed like that. But that perhaps I am asking too much from Tudor. I am not so familiar with Tudor, but I certainly wouldn't expect something like that from Rolex.

Or maybe you're just joking and saying you agree with me? I don't know, I guess I don't understand your comment. Are you pissed off at me for some reason?
Old 1 May 2020, 05:43 AM   #2
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Second time you've quoted that same post of mine. I think you may have misunderstood my comment, and I apologize if it wasn't stated well. I believe you when you say that you are aware of a "tell" for Tudor lume.

I only meant to say that I normally expect that watches from a good manufacturer will have reasonably well-aligned lume plots and not be mis-printed like that. But that perhaps I am asking too much from Tudor. I am not so familiar with Tudor, but I certainly wouldn't expect something like that from Rolex.

Or maybe you're just joking and saying you agree with me? I don't know, I guess I don't understand your comment. Are you pissed off at me for some reason?

Hahaha - Probably accidentally quoted you twice - I am multitasking a/k/a the Fine Art of Doing Multiple Things Poorly ; ) . Not upset at all.

Rolex had printing issues with lume as well over time. They resolved some of that by moving to the White Gold Surrounds. Late 1950s Rolex would take a Rolex Submariner case off the assembly line, cross it out, and place Tudor inscriptions on it and ship it as a Tudor - not often but it is documented. 1960s Rolex has dials where they printed on top of embedded gilt writing, where they added extra lume dots (Exclamation Dials ; ) ) to signify something different.

Too many people make the mistake of putting 2010-2020 Rolex Quality concerns / standards and applying them to 50s - 80s Rolex or Tudor quality. 1960 Rolex and Tudor were Tool Watches with a more extreme Sport line and a more dress line. In 1963 Rolex or Tudor would take a dial (incidentally made by a separate company that also made parts for Omega and countless other companies) and mod it. 2020 Rolex would throw the dial out and put in another dial, made by its own internal manufacturing processes.

Tags
tudor submariner , vintage tudor