The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 3 November 2017, 08:31 AM   #1
7Kenhinho
Banned

Watch: Datejust
GMT Pepsi - NYC

Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase my first Rolex (the other being a midsize datejust from my father), and would like to purchase a GMT pepsi, been scouring everywhere for the agreeable price + authenticity, what's the deal with this guy and the watch, is it legit?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-GMT-M...53.m1438.l2649

Thank you very much for the insight,
Ken
7Kenhinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2017, 01:17 PM   #2
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Watch is genuine as is bezel in my opinion.

Some strange "corrosion" on back of bracelet, that you should ask/request better photos
But movement is genuine
adam
Old 4 November 2017, 06:52 AM   #3
7Kenhinho
Banned

Thank you Gladiator, it looks like the 501 endlinks match with the 78360 bracelet with the ref no. 16700, as the seller noted in the listing.

However, I also see that ref 16700 should have 501B endlinks?

Was it the way the hands were stacked that made you say the movement is legit?
Old 4 November 2017, 01:09 PM   #4
jcatt
"TRF" Member

I'd walk away from this one. There's just nothing to feel good about with it. Very rough, lots of unknowns.

I don't know the seller, but he has decent feedback on some spendy watches, most of which look like he accepted a best offer- so he's obviously willing to take less than asking. It looks like there is some corrosion inside the dial, too- look at the base of the hands as well as the second hand. I am not an expert in the history of earlier GMT's, but it looks in these pics like the 24hr hand is on the bottom, below the hour hand, make sure that's legit for the vintage of this watch, as on later watches, the red hand should be between the hour and minute hand. Could be fine, but that's just the beginning. You need to get inside this one.

At a minimum this watch needs a full RSC service, and with parts (crystal, hands, dial, who knows what else inside, and possibly a new bracelet as it looks like the stainless is torn on the clasp on the left side of the 3rd picture) you're looking at a hefty bill. Factor that into negotiations. Given all of that, I'd say this one is risky. And it's not the only one out there, but it is maybe the cheapest, and that should tell you something.

This isn't a good choice for your first Rolex. Your first Rolex should be a sure thing- take a look at the Explorer II's from the early 2000's. Rock solid, great value today.
JCATT
jcatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2017, 01:29 PM   #5
7Kenhinho
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcatt View Post
I'd walk away from this one. There's just nothing to feel good about with it. Very rough, lots of unknowns.

I don't know the seller, but he has decent feedback on some spendy watches, most of which look like he accepted a best offer- so he's obviously willing to take less than asking. It looks like there is some corrosion inside the dial, too- look at the base of the hands as well as the second hand. I am not an expert in the history of earlier GMT's, but it looks in these pics like the 24hr hand is on the bottom, below the hour hand, make sure that's legit for the vintage of this watch, as on later watches, the red hand should be between the hour and minute hand. Could be fine, but that's just the beginning. You need to get inside this one.

At a minimum this watch needs a full RSC service, and with parts (crystal, hands, dial, who knows what else inside, and possibly a new bracelet as it looks like the stainless is torn on the clasp on the left side of the 3rd picture) you're looking at a hefty bill. Factor that into negotiations. Given all of that, I'd say this one is risky. And it's not the only one out there, but it is maybe the cheapest, and that should tell you something.

This isn't a good choice for your first Rolex. Your first Rolex should be a sure thing- take a look at the Explorer II's from the early 2000's. Rock solid, great value today.
JCATT
JCATT, I see what you're saying. I looked pretty hard at the pics, it does look like the hour hand is closest to the dial and not the GMT hand, so that's reassuring. What is not reassuring is that you have some legitimate points here regarding the structure of the watch, and being a rookie at this game even if he were to show me the movement inside I wouldn't know for certain whether something is sh*t or shinola. It's true - you get what you pay for. Thank you for your input.
Old 4 November 2017, 01:40 PM   #6
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

As I say
Movement, bezel and case are genuine
A
Old 4 November 2017, 01:52 PM   #7
2th_doc
"TRF" Member

I dont think a 1st time Rolex buyer should buy his 1st on Ebay. AD or trusted seller is where you should be looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2th_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2017, 02:12 PM   #8
jcatt
"TRF" Member

7Kenhinho, no not despair! Your first Rolex is out there. Don't rush it, or as others have added, buy from an unknown. I'll send you a PM now.
JCATT
jcatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2017, 05:37 PM   #9
Metal
"TRF" Member

That watch looks like crap, there's a reason it's still on eBay.
I know it's been mentioned but correct hand stack is no longer a sure fire way to tell a real GMT II.
Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2017, 07:10 PM   #10
Too Old
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

First picture seems to be of a different watch.
Scratches on bezel, fit of end links etc.
Too Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2017, 11:02 PM   #11
ancientmariner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Old View Post
Agree, looks like 2 watches. Watch with '4' date could be circa 1989.
ancientmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2017, 01:45 AM   #12
7Kenhinho
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Old View Post
I concur, I kept looking and looking and noticed the same thing about the scratches - it's like swapping an earlier stock photo and then seeing the real watch after pic #3.

I can always stop by the jeweler who owns the ebay store - just a subway ride away.
Old 5 November 2017, 01:49 AM   #13
7Kenhinho
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal View Post
That watch looks like crap, there's a reason it's still on eBay.
I know it's been mentioned but correct hand stack is no longer a sure fire way to tell a real GMT II.
Really? That's terrible news to me. I thought the conunterfeiters only fixed the handstacking on the new ceramic ones. Saw a Sub online yesterday for over $1,200 dollars - they even fixed the decoration on the movement inside to mimic that of a real watch. It was unbelievable. That said, I also believed the reason it looked so good was probably because they used pictures for a real Sub and then switch to a crappier looking fake once you purchase.
Old 5 November 2017, 10:04 AM   #14
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Kenhinho View Post
Really? That's terrible news to me. I thought the conunterfeiters only fixed the handstacking on the new ceramic ones.
They do, but nothing to stop them putting it into a previous version or explorer II
Old 5 November 2017, 02:07 PM   #15
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
OP: Look at good sellers on this forum. Be smart. Stay out of the eBay clown show
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2017, 02:09 PM   #16
vintagewatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sport 4digit ref#
Since your in NYC you should go to the Diamond District (47th Street). I was there last week and there are hundreds of Rolex watches for sale. I'm sure you'll be able to find a number of GMT's to view and possibly purchase. Don't be afraid to ask many questions, if a dealer doesn't want to help you another one is just a few feet away.
Good Luck!
vintagewatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2017, 09:01 PM   #17
CaveDweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Timex
Scratch on the 12 on the bezel in the first pic- no scratch on the other pics - walk away ....
CaveDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 01:19 AM   #18
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570
I agree that there's no reason to take a chance on this watch when there are plenty out there.

At the very least there are two different watches in the photos.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 01:30 AM   #19
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Be careful in NYC diamond district (47th street)
Buy from a trusted seller on TRF
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 08:44 AM   #20
ttnpb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
They do, but nothing to stop them putting it into a previous version or explorer II
Doesn't happen.

I'll previous 5 digit GMT fakes were built using 2836 ETA movements w/GMT function.

A new correct hand sequence ETA clone is not campatible with the 2836 cases. Different stem height.

So yes, correct hand stack IS still a good way of authenticity.
ttnpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 08:52 AM   #21
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnpb View Post
Doesn't happen.

I'll previous 5 digit GMT fakes were built using 2836 ETA movements w/GMT function.

A new correct hand sequence ETA clone is not campatible with the 2836 cases. Different stem height.

Interesting. I have a fake correct hand stack with ceramic bezel.
If they can make that they will make an explorer or metal version, if they want.
So although I fully agree its on new ceramic models that hand stack is not definitive, I am not brave enough to say it wont happen on metal bezel.
Why would the stem height stop it?

Thanks
adam
Old 6 November 2017, 02:56 PM   #22
ttnpb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Interesting. I have a fake correct hand stack with ceramic bezel.
If they can make that they will make an explorer or metal version, if they want.
So although I fully agree its on new ceramic models that hand stack is not definitive, I am not brave enough to say it wont happen on metal bezel.
Why would the stem height stop it?

Thanks
adam
There are correct hand stack explorer 2's. The newer 6 digit reference. Not the older 5 digit.

The new correct hand stack (CHS) movement used is based on 2824, the old school ichs movement was based on 2836.

A 2824 has a stem height very similar to 3135/6/0 etc. 2836 sits much lower. About a MM or so.

To me it's visible from the wrist, as a genuine 313x crown will be about half way up the bezel ring, and a 2836 fake will be almost completely under the bezel.

Let me find a picture
Old 6 November 2017, 02:58 PM   #23
ttnpb
"TRF" Member

Old 6 November 2017, 03:02 PM   #24
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There are correct hand stack explorer 2's. The newer 6 digit reference. Not the older 5 digit.

The new correct hand stack (CHS) movement used is based on 2824, the old school ichs movement was based on 2836.

A 2824 has a stem height very similar to 3135/6/0 etc. 2836 sits much lower. About a MM or so.

To me it's visible from the wrist, as a genuine 313x crown will be about half way up the bezel ring, and a 2836 fake will be almost completely under the bezel.

Let me find a picture
Thanks
I can tell you the fakes are using a modified ASIAN movement NOT ETA or SWISS
Old 6 November 2017, 06:41 PM   #25
Metal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Doesn't happen.

Thanks, I didn't know that!
Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 01:38 AM   #26
ttnpb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks
I can tell you the fakes are using a modified ASIAN movement NOT ETA or SWISS
Yes, keep in mind when I say ETA i also include asian ETA clones.

They are almost the exact same, differences in tolerances but 99% same.

Sellita, soprod, a few others are all ETA clones no different than Chinese, higher quality but still a clone.

In theory, the gears and plates used to convert the 2824 to the CHS movement could be fitted to a elabore ETA. I just dont think anyone is doing that.