The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 February 2020, 03:24 AM   #1
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
“Bundling” in the UK

Anyone in the -UK been offered bundle deals? To get a sought after steel watch by buying a PM one with it? I have used a few AD’s in the UK and never had this offered to me, have asked once and was told no. Wondering if it’s just a US thing?
JSolution is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 03:44 AM   #2
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Bundling happens but dispersed bundling.

If you are known to your AD, you have purchased a lot you obviously are going to get your hard to get pieces quicker. I've purchased several watches in a few months and I get offered some hard to get or limited pieces. You could class that as bundling (purchases happen quickly but not immediately).

In the truer sense, going in a buying a few watches (this has happened - not me) an explorer, a DD and DJ for the wife, if you ask the question, the Daytona in the safe is yours.

This happens again if you are known to an AD.

I've been collecting for years and I've had the bundle conversation plenty of times. It won't be entertained by AD's you are unknown to. Reason? Because watch tourists and even UK nationals who have grouped together are looking to buy many hot pieces in a lump to flip and the last thing an AD wants is a cold unknown buyer getting a bundling deal where all of those serials end up on the market at inflated prices. Plus the AD gains nothing, they don't want short term hits, they want long term loyal customers that keep coming back.

I only asked with good intentions over the years but every time I've tried with other dealers, the answer is no.

My preferred route these days is just be loyal to the local AD. I've been burn't doing this, as my local AD closed down and I lost all my history and had to start again. Having started again, I choose the wrong one locally who have been disgusting to deal with, but now I have a new AD and they are the best I have ever experienced and will stay with them for as long as they are trading.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 04:01 AM   #3
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
As another said, bundling can be achieved by just spending. Whatever it takes to get known and noticed, is all you need.
mykii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 05:12 AM   #4
newu5er
"TRF" Member

Before I was forced to "bundle" anything, I would do grey. I honestly don't know how bundling is even a thing considering for the right money, you can buy almost any watch you want. All you need to do is the simple math (Watch you want + price of bundled items) compared to known Grey Market price for same watch.
newu5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 05:16 AM   #5
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by newu5er View Post
Before I was forced to "bundle" anything, I would do grey. I honestly don't know how bundling is even a thing considering for the right money, you can buy almost any watch you want. All you need to do is the simple math (Watch you want + price of bundled items) compared to known Grey Market price for same watch.
I buy 90 per cent of my watches grey. But in same cases to buy a pm and a steel piece they can offset each other.
JSolution is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 05:27 AM   #6
Mr Naultilus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
Anyone in the -UK been offered bundle deals? To get a sought after steel watch by buying a PM one with it? I have used a few AD’s in the UK and never had this offered to me, have asked once and was told no. Wondering if it’s just a US thing?

Wempe and Pragnall do
Mr Naultilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 05:28 AM   #7
Mr DateJust
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
Bundling happens but dispersed bundling.

If you are known to your AD, you have purchased a lot you obviously are going to get your hard to get pieces quicker. I've purchased several watches in a few months and I get offered some hard to get or limited pieces. You could class that as bundling (purchases happen quickly but not immediately).

In the truer sense, going in a buying a few watches (this has happened - not me) an explorer, a DD and DJ for the wife, if you ask the question, the Daytona in the safe is yours.

This happens again if you are known to an AD.

I've been collecting for years and I've had the bundle conversation plenty of times. It won't be entertained by AD's you are unknown to. Reason? Because watch tourists and even UK nationals who have grouped together are looking to buy many hot pieces in a lump to flip and the last thing an AD wants is a cold unknown buyer getting a bundling deal where all of those serials end up on the market at inflated prices. Plus the AD gains nothing, they don't want short term hits, they want long term loyal customers that keep coming back.

I only asked with good intentions over the years but every time I've tried with other dealers, the answer is no.

My preferred route these days is just be loyal to the local AD. I've been burn't doing this, as my local AD closed down and I lost all my history and had to start again. Having started again, I choose the wrong one locally who have been disgusting to deal with, but now I have a new AD and they are the best I have ever experienced and will stay with them for as long as they are trading.

Same thing happened to me. My preferred AD where I had bought almost all of my watches closed down. I lost my full history with them and will never get this back elsewhere as I only bought a piece every year or two but had been going there for years. Sadly when this happens unless you are in a position to buy a bunch of watches from a new AD then that’s it.
Mr DateJust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 08:14 AM   #8
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
While on business in Germany in 2018, I was offered a Daytona if I purchased a DD at full MSRP. I suppose even a DD bundle wouldn't be enough these days in some markets to get a sought after model.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote