The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 February 2019, 06:13 AM   #1
68camaro
"TRF" Member

Help with BMW problem - dealer failed 3x

Following error message on 2012 528i, 70k miles....car meticulously maintained, looks and drives like new (before this anyway):

"Drivetrain Malfunction
Drive Moderately.....Maximum drivetrain output not available. Consult Service Center"

BMW dealer had it three times:
1. Reset computer, $250;
2. Put in new catalytic converter, $950
3. Installed new turbo - said it will definitely fix problem, cost $3400 minus credit for repair #2.

Warning came on 5 days after getting it out of shop. Wife on 8 hr trip to Atlanta, it seems to come on at around 70mph.

Any one experience this type of error? Does BMW have regional service people we can escalate to? Local BMW's service guy is their "Master" technician but he whiffed on three accounts so not doing too good.

Thanks for help
68camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 06:28 AM   #2
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Do you have a way to read the actual codes that the car is throwing? That would be a good first step. Once you have the actual codes you can search bmw forums for similar expierces and solves.

I feel sometimes the dealerships struggle with diagnosis and they just try to change things. Also, you may want to try to find a local independent repair shop. You’ll save a lot compared to the dealership when it comes to maintenance and fixes

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 06:29 AM   #3
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
could be a cooling issue or perhaps timing related. the above suggestion is excelent get the codes look on google...
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 06:53 AM   #4
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
Do you have a way to read the actual codes that the car is throwing? That would be a good first step. Once you have the actual codes you can search bmw forums for similar expierces and solves.

I feel sometimes the dealerships struggle with diagnosis and they just try to change things. Also, you may want to try to find a local independent repair shop. You’ll save a lot compared to the dealership when it comes to maintenance and fixes
seems weird you would have to search forums to find out what's wrong. Pretty poor form that the service center can't figure it out.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 07:18 AM   #5
Net-man
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky-D, Sea-D
Please get alternator and battery checked, if you stop and restart car does the message go away?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Net-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 07:20 AM   #6
Cryten
"TRF" Member

That's terrible service. The codes are pretty specific so if they're a BMW service centre, they read the code..... but turbo replacement for a drive train issue? That's doesn't sound logical at all.

Sometimes sensors malfunction and throw codes when nothing is wrong. I've had that before and it's hard to diagnose. I would expect a brand specific garage to be able to sort that out by the second time at least
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 07:27 AM   #7
Flyinghunter
"TRF" Member

Best wishes to you. I left the brand due to similar experiences with a 5 series.
Flyinghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 08:00 AM   #8
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68camaro View Post
Following error message on 2012 528i, 70k miles....car meticulously maintained, looks and drives like new (before this anyway):

"Drivetrain Malfunction
Drive Moderately.....Maximum drivetrain output not available. Consult Service Center"

BMW dealer had it three times:
1. Reset computer, $250;
2. Put in new catalytic converter, $950
3. Installed new turbo - said it will definitely fix problem, cost $3400 minus credit for repair #2.

Warning came on 5 days after getting it out of shop. Wife on 8 hr trip to Atlanta, it seems to come on at around 70mph.

Any one experience this type of error? Does BMW have regional service people we can escalate to? Local BMW's service guy is their "Master" technician but he whiffed on three accounts so not doing too good.

Thanks for help

Hi

I had a car once who had a similar message (not BMW), but it turned out to be a bad transmission computer sensor that needed repair.

Don't know if you have seen this on bimmerpost, an interesting series of comments regarding same message you are getting:

" ...... leaking fuel injector for cylinder #4 among other issues described by BMW owners."

" https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1286526 "

DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 08:05 AM   #9
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Is there a check engine light on as well? Sounds to me like a bad wheel speed sensor or a kink in the wastegste valve. Is there a misfire?
If all that has been checked you might have a bad engine/timing chain.
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 08:18 AM   #10
JMtimes5
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36&41 AK LV DJ36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinghunter View Post
Best wishes to you. I left the brand due to similar experiences with a 5 series.
+1
The ultimate driving machine....when not in the shop.
JMtimes5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 08:40 AM   #11
68camaro
"TRF" Member

Thanks all, to answer the above questions:

When we first discovered issue we brought to indy mechanic that specializes in BMW/Mercedes, they said it was turbo and $2,400 for new one. We brought to dealer for second opinion and the dealer master mechanic said it wasn't turbu and "computer just needed to be updated"...so the following progressed:

(When you shut off car error message goes away until you hit or exceed 70mph - to bad wife can't keep it under 70...haha)

1st repair try:
Diagnostic test found turbo boost pressure low, dealer reset computer to fix.
Found no fault with turbo system component
Passed Intake System Leak test
Not a problem but New Battery installed at repair #1, Jan 28.

2nd repair:
Replaced vacuum pressure diverter valve of catalytic converter (?)
Everything else checked out

3rd repair:
MA001 code - replaced turbo charger, waste gate valve warped

After repair #3, I asked my dealer why indy mechanic said it was turbo on first try but they needed three tries to say it was turbo - needless to say they were quite embarrassed.

The car actually runs pretty good, wife thinks there is loss of power when passing at higher speeds but not a lot.
Old 25 February 2019, 08:45 AM   #12
Dyim
"TRF" Member

Agree with asking bimmerpost.

https://f10.5post.com/forums/
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 08:49 AM   #13
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMtimes5 View Post
+1
The ultimate driving machine....when not in the shop.
Old 25 February 2019, 09:40 AM   #14
Net-man
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky-D, Sea-D
On my E65 (745) it came down to alternator voltage regulation, replaced, never saw the warning message again. While you are at it and got new battery, have the alternator checked. Not expensive to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Net-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 10:14 AM   #15
Omnibus
"TRF" Member

Watch: rlx
there'd be no sound troubleshooting just by the general symptoms you posted. a competent mechanic would need to hook up a scan tool to read the trouble codes if the car generates one(s). freeze frame data needs to be collected just the moment the problem occurs. sensors need to be checked using a labscope. wiring integrity also needs to be checked. incompetent mechanics would just be a parts cannon causing money pit situation for you.

your car has Can-bus communication system for control units to talk with each other. sometimes the defective part isn't directly related to the symptom you are having. you need mechanics like Diagnosedan or Scannerdanner on youtube channels although they may not be near your area.

this is an example of transmission won't shift gear because ABS module is defective
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKnQI2IScPU&t=17s
Omnibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 10:34 AM   #16
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Man, I feel your pain. I've had my fair share of BMW issues over the years but nothing like this. The BMW forums can be your most valuable resource in cases like this. Shame on the dealer for not being able to pinpoint this sooner.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 11:58 AM   #17
Rsubnodate
"TRF" Member

Had the same error when I had a 2013 5 series and it occurred at about 40,000 miles. Pulled over, turned car off and on, and the error went away. It never happened after that but luckily lease ended soon after this occurred. Wish I had a solution for you.
Rsubnodate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 02:09 PM   #18
utc66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, PAM112,EZM1
Do you park your car outside or in a garage. There’s been a ton of rain this year in DC/MD/VA. It could’ve moisture affecting something in the CANBUS network system. I had an issue and I fixed it by replacing an electronic part that must have gotten wet.
utc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 05:51 PM   #19
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
I'd start with getting a Code scanner/reset. When I still had Beemers (moved to much more reliable Range Rovers LOL) I realised a 100 buck scanner saved me thousands.

Many codes just need a reset, nothing more. These cars have hopeless electronics.

My wife had an X5M, and I reset codes on it probably 5-6X a year if not more. Every code reset, went away for ever or for a few months minimum. A serious fault would re-code pretty quickly.

So, off to a Car-parts store and get a good scanner, make sure it can read and reset.

Only fault the X5M ever had was a broken vacuum-line which is idiotically drawn right above the turbos, on the S63 the engine is "reversed" with the exhaust in the middle of the "V" thus making the vacuum lines (made of plastic) very hot! I ordered a new line for 50 bucks and installed it myself. So many examples online of the same problem I had resulting in dealers replacing BOTH turbos for close to 10K and fault remained only to find a broken 50 $ vacuum line later...
Old 25 February 2019, 07:49 PM   #20
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
seems weird you would have to search forums to find out what's wrong. Pretty poor form that the service center can't figure it out.
Lemon.
This seems like a car that is just broke. Nothing they do will fix it. It's a lemon. Any normally operating vehicle will get diagnosed and fixed except a lemon and the dealer will give you the run around all day long fixing sh@t just because they make money off of it.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 10:26 PM   #21
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinghunter View Post
Again, same with me.

Sorry to hear this but all too common on the BMW forum.

I will never buy another BMW.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 11:09 PM   #22
Masteryacht
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16622,BLNR,116500
I’ve found that when owning a BMW, a good Indy can save you lots of money. Stay away from the dealer service center.
Masteryacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2019, 02:13 AM   #23
68camaro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by utc66 View Post
Do you park your car outside or in a garage. There’s been a ton of rain this year in DC/MD/VA. It could’ve moisture affecting something in the CANBUS network system. I had an issue and I fixed it by replacing an electronic part that must have gotten wet.
Amazing amount of rain, we are getting tired of it.

Cars is always parked inside only and detailed once a year, car literally looks new inside and out. I have indoor parking at work so if we switched cars it would be inside all day. If really bad weather she takes my jeep if I am around. This thing has been babied big time.
Old 26 February 2019, 02:46 AM   #24
timedate
-

i had to dispose of a perfectly good low mileage van as the abs light came on and it failed its test,

the abs worked perfectly, but nobody could help me, just total rubbish, why are we putting up with it?
timedate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2019, 07:03 AM   #25
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
I'd start with getting a Code scanner/reset. When I still had Beemers (moved to much more reliable Range Rovers LOL) I realised a 100 buck scanner saved me thousands.

Many codes just need a reset, nothing more. These cars have hopeless electronics.

My wife had an X5M, and I reset codes on it probably 5-6X a year if not more. Every code reset, went away for ever or for a few months minimum. A serious fault would re-code pretty quickly.

So, off to a Car-parts store and get a good scanner, make sure it can read and reset.

Only fault the X5M ever had was a broken vacuum-line which is idiotically drawn right above the turbos, on the S63 the engine is "reversed" with the exhaust in the middle of the "V" thus making the vacuum lines (made of plastic) very hot! I ordered a new line for 50 bucks and installed it myself. So many examples online of the same problem I had resulting in dealers replacing BOTH turbos for close to 10K and fault remained only to find a broken 50 $ vacuum line later...
This is SO true. My Autel has saved me a lot of money with regards to diagnostic fees. I've had this happen with 4 different codes in the past year or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I will never buy another BMW.
Neither will I.
Old 27 February 2019, 04:16 AM   #26
fkim011
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sky Dweller
I had this same problem on my 550 before I sold it.

It had to do with the high pressure fuel pump malfunctioning.
fkim011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2019, 06:07 AM   #27
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkim011 View Post
I had this same problem on my 550 before I sold it.

It had to do with the high pressure fuel pump malfunctioning.
How about that, might be the one problem I did not have with my 550
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2019, 09:46 AM   #28
68camaro
"TRF" Member

Talked to service manager today, he has been speaking to BMW Regional Service and they are stumped. When car gets back to town he said they will come pick it up and drop off loaner and get to bottom of it.

Risk is further damage but unless it loses power and goes in limp mode they said it should be fine. We care kinda stuck until car gets back here, will try to get into BMW in Atlanta but not sure if best to start all over again, plus they have have long waits to get car into service.
Old 27 February 2019, 03:42 PM   #29
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

I'm hoping for a positive outcome here, somehow. Hopefully getting to a solution isn't too stressful or costly. Please keep us posted.
Old 28 February 2019, 11:55 AM   #30
68camaro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
I'm hoping for a positive outcome here, somehow. Hopefully getting to a solution isn't too stressful or costly. Please keep us posted.