The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 March 2019, 10:47 AM   #121
Dlong
Banned

Watch: Black sub Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedy617 View Post
I agree with this guy And for the one guy above who said, "yeah Omegas are fine...but they don't compare to Rolex sport models" I mean subjectively the Omegas are more advanced in the movement department by a fair bit, and finishing on them is comparable, they are both for the most part mid level luxury swiss watches. I absolutely understand liking the aesthetics of a sports Rolex more than an omega, I really do. However on the most part quality of finish on both are very similar, while Omega edges Rolex out on innovation.

That's not to say one is better than the other, even if Omega has more tech in their watches, or Rolex is more popular and harder to get a hold of. Watches are a matter of taste. I have had Rolex, now I have Omega, and I'm planning on adding another Rolex back in.
Rolex just has better marketing. Period.

While I’m waiting for my Pepsi which may never come, I’m probably going to pull the trigger on an Omega Speedmaster FOIS. It really is a handsome watch. Also loving the Zenith Primiro Open. The Omega is more classic.....and less expensive. Both can be had for about 30 points off which doesn’t hurt.
Dlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 10:53 AM   #122
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
The two can not compare at all imo

Oh they sure do--Omega has been making tremendous watches and having had both-I regard the Omega as every bit the equal in all substantive metrics.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 10:58 AM   #123
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Loving my Seiko Alpinist blue, only $600, add $89 for a SS solid end link bracelet...

It replaced the SS SkyD blue as a true daily beater. Seiko is easier to read and great for when not traveling. SkyD will prob be used during travels to safe places, except in Europe as no need to be targeted by robbers on scooters / motorcycles.

Nice looking!
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 11:21 AM   #124
Case61
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I have several Omegas, both modern and vintage, and think the world of them. But I genuinely don't think Rolex gives a tinker's dam (love that expression) what Omega does.

Case61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 11:35 AM   #125
EGrunt
"TRF" Member

I enjoy both Rolex and Omega

I do more reading on the forum then posting but I had to reply to this thread. I own both a Rolex and Omega and enjoying wearing them equally. To say Omega is junk is ridiculous but everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect that.

This past weekend I was at South Coast Plaza (Coast Mesa CA) and the Rolex store and the Omega store is separated by one store. Inside the Rolex store several display cases were empty and limited sales staff was present. I am not loyal to just one brand and the same applies to cars. Once inside the Omega store the cases were full of watches and I almost purchased the Omega Apollo 8. I also witnessed two customers buy Omega Planet Oceans since the Rolex store had no sport / dive watches in stock.

I thought the Batman GMT was going to be my next watch but not at the price they are selling for. The Omega Apollo 8 is looking appealing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex3.jpg (154.0 KB, 320 views)
EGrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 12:01 PM   #126
y2jdmbfan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post
My money is safe from Rolex yet again, unless ad calls with a ss Daytona or maybe another hulk?
Omega recently took my money on this beauty though. Loving it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Awesome watch. I had the original Dark Side of the Moon bit sold it to fund my DBlue. Now I saw the Apollo 8 and want one!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
y2jdmbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 12:01 PM   #127
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Yes! But wait!?! Is Rolex allowed to release something new after Basel? Hmm 🤔
Jostack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 12:16 PM   #128
Hchhon
"TRF" Member

Omega is now laughing at Rolex

Grand Seiko will be laughing at Rolex and omega!! 20 years from now Grand Seiko will be the next King

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hchhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 12:16 PM   #129
hon
"TRF" Member

With the Rolex craze that going on with no sign of stopping or slowing. Whatever Rolex launch will trigger more hype and speculation. It's good that Rolex showing some self control and keep thing simple. In the past there were brands riding the hype wave and keep launching new products non stop to milk more money from consumers and ended up screwing themselves.
hon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 12:29 PM   #130
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2jdmbfan View Post
Awesome watch. I had the original Dark Side of the Moon bit sold it to fund my DBlue. Now I saw the Apollo 8 and want one!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Thanks. I highly recommend the Apollo 8 50th anniversary. Although not LE, it's harder to find than the LEs. Pics don't do it justice. I love its size, movement history, dial or lack of, colors, lume, manual wind, and just a fun watch to wear, which is what it's all about regardless of brand. Love my dblue as well, so I think u would love this apollo 8. Of all the Basel releases, I think another Breitling Navi is on my radar....pan am on mesh. Rolex, Tudor, etc. just wasn't my cup of tea this year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 12:34 PM   #131
hon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post
So your average guy decides to buy a watch to celebrate something. He walks into Rolex store "I'd like to buy a chronograph or a GMT please".
"Yes sir we have these in precious metal or you can wait ten years for one in steel"
Man laughs assuming it's a joke as the GMT is on the cover of the catalogue and in lots of advertising.
After being told this is not a joke he leaves.
Next door in omega....
Or he might end up going to grey market for the Chrono or GMT.
That why we keep seeing the ridiculous grey prices because people are paying.
hon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 12:41 PM   #132
MSchott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcentaur View Post
Well Omega watches don’t have fancy nicknames, so checkmate Omegatards.
Like Speedy Pro or First Watch on the Moon? Or Bond?
MSchott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 12:49 PM   #133
Lord Hectic
Banned

Watch: Pepsi
This thread in a brief sentence. When Rolex fanboys get hit with reality by watch enthusiasts.
Lord Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 01:34 PM   #134
juanwinston
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo05 View Post
This.

But Omega are really annoying me with all their LEs. Come on... ST1, ST2, Hodinkee, Bond, Railmaster/Seamaster/Speedmaster Reissue, New York BTQ, Paris BTQ,...

I'm not a Rolex fan boy but a watch lover yet Omega is just crapping LE by the ton. At least Rolex is not trying to cover up the fact that they are making the same watches for years by making small iterations that make them very "special" and "unique".

A Snoopy Speedmaster is imho truly special. Because of its looks and as it was before they started their mambojumbo marketing.

Envoyé de mon ONEPLUS A6003 en utilisant Tapatalk
Yes I agree that LEs dilutes the brand but Rolex is not helping the case when they make non LE models aka regular models that are somehow limited to VIPs or worse.. grey dealers.

I have massive respect for Rolex but from my point of view (a watch lover too), it is somehow exhausting and frustrating to not be able to walk in and buy a supposedly non LE model.
juanwinston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 01:35 PM   #135
Juan Luis
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Undecided
Omega I love. But laughing at ROLEX? The only laughter I can imagine is the sad laughter with tears in eyes knowing Rolex can do anything, and still be much more successful and unreachable in sales. Unlike them....
Juan Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 01:40 PM   #136
Cesium137
Banned

I’m sure the next limited edition speedmaster is right around the corner. They always are...
Cesium137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 01:54 PM   #137
InitialAndPitch
Banned

Watch: GMT-II BLRO PEPSI
I love the heritage of the Omega MoonWatch. I can’t fathom why they keep putting their watches in display boxes the size of shipping containers. I think the whole package is in the 3.5 to 4kg range. I know it’s a bit cynical but why do they try to differentiate in the basis of the box?

I’d also hazard a guess that in brand perception terms - on the prestige scale - you’d have probably find Rolex generally ranks more highly. Just a guess but I’ll do some research to see if there’s any substance to that.
InitialAndPitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 02:08 PM   #138
Bobby100
Banned

Watch: Breitling Avenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesium137 View Post
I’m sure the next limited edition speedmaster is right around the corner. They always are...
Rolex makes a million plus watches a year and their entire professional range is limited.
Bobby100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 02:10 PM   #139
Vanmarsenille
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatScott View Post
This is like a dream come true for them. They get a year with no new hot releases from the crown. Yeah yeah, I know Rolex will sell a ton of watches, but if Omega has a huge release this could represent a banner year for them!
Oh dear.
Vanmarsenille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 03:25 PM   #140
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
With the TT Apollo XI some people making a hint for, Omega would be lagging behind. Quite interesting is that Zurich event was supposed to take place just before Basel and so far no hint of anything from the backyard of Omega. I presume they just now started working on the novelties. ::::)
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 03:35 PM   #141
arcentaur
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
Like Speedy Pro or First Watch on the Moon? Or Bond?

Not fancy enough for my taste.
arcentaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 04:03 PM   #142
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I hate these types of threads. Stupid and irrational. It devolves into a bunch of petty knocks on both brands.

Nothing has changed. Rolex still is king. Omega is great too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 06:00 PM   #143
Boba Fett
"TRF" Member

Watch: Star Wars
Quote:
Originally Posted by hon View Post
Or he might end up going to grey market for the Chrono or GMT.
That why we keep seeing the ridiculous grey prices because people are paying.
With SS grey prices he might get the PM, but in a grey store the Omega is probably even more appealing.
Boba Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 07:32 PM   #144
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Omega's need to put "Professional" on their watch faces.
What is a professional watch exactly?..is it like, professional toothpaste, professional dishwasher liquid, suntan lotion etc, etc,etc..totally spurious?

....and another thing, Omega's "2nd rate marketing"....er, the Broccoli family and Sony/Hollywood might have an opinion.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 08:53 PM   #145
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Virgil Hilts View Post
Omega's need to put "Professional" on their watch faces.
What is a professional watch exactly?..is it like, professional toothpaste, professional dishwasher liquid, suntan lotion etc, etc,etc..totally spurious?

....and another thing, Omega's "2nd rate marketing"....er, the Broccoli family and Sony/Hollywood might have an opinion.
One that has been to the moon. It’s almost as stupid as putting Superlative on your watch face . The best thing about Omega is when you see someone wearing one, chances are there into watches, Rolex owners... well just read some of the comments in here. They buy because of the name. Threads like this remind me why I spend less time on this side of the forum

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 09:01 PM   #146
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Lol. People are so narrow sighted. One of the most powerful brand names (of any company, not just watches) on the planet, released subtle modifications (which is fairly common) - who also has an existing lineup of watches most of us would sell our first born (or dog) to get, along with tons of vintage references we’d sell our souls for. Slightly over dramatic, but I’d consider both above.

Yet the OP thinks that if one of the many swatch owned companies has a good year, then what... goodbye Rolex?

I respectfully disagree...
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 09:05 PM   #147
bobby75
"TRF" Member

I own both Omega and Rolex watches and like both for what they are. I have not been overly impressed by what Rolex have brought out this year or Tudor for that matter. The main benefit for Rolex though is they still have plenty of variety in their line up to keep anyone occupied and the other thing, they have not changed things so dramatically that they have put off customers (Why fix what isnt broke?)

Omega on the other hand seem to be caught between a rock and a hard place. They chop and change so many watches that would otherwise be classics and those that are classics are churned out with so many "limited editions" it just puts me as a customer off. I really dont like what they have done to the new seamaster and the endless speedmaster limited editions hold absolutely no interest for me.

The one brand that has brought out a few interesting things has been Grand Seiko. I do like their new hand wind watches.
bobby75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 09:33 PM   #148
captainron62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King 40mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby75 View Post
I own both Omega and Rolex watches and like both for what they are. I have not been overly impressed by what Rolex have brought out this year or Tudor for that matter. The main benefit for Rolex though is they still have plenty of variety in their line up to keep anyone occupied and the other thing, they have not changed things so dramatically that they have put off customers (Why fix what isnt broke?)

Omega on the other hand seem to be caught between a rock and a hard place. They chop and change so many watches that would otherwise be classics and those that are classics are churned out with so many "limited editions" it just puts me as a customer off. I really dont like what they have done to the new seamaster and the endless speedmaster limited editions hold absolutely no interest for me.

The one brand that has brought out a few interesting things has been Grand Seiko. I do like their new hand wind watches.

Well said, I own both and in all honesty I probably have more of a love for Omega, but as a company ROLEX is on another level. I agree the frequent changes Omega makes does more harm than good, I was really dissapointed in the new SeaMasters, the bulbous helium valve is hideous. I have an old 2254.50 that is quite possibly my favorite watch and my Aqua Terra is my daily. My next watch will be a Tudor BB 58, I don't have a ROLEX on my radar currently, other than maybe an old Bullseye DJ 36 as a dress watch. I think my Aqua Terra is on par with any ROLEX DJ as far as quality and the movement is far superior. A similar DJ would cost be about 6K or so and I bought this AT for less than 3K in like new condition. You can't argue the value proposition, but at the end of the day it will never have the brand recognition ROLEX does. I have gotten over that and now just enjoy the watch.
captainron62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 09:44 PM   #149
Exploradori
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270, 1803
Omega will take a lot of business out of Rolex this year
Exploradori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 09:55 PM   #150
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf617 View Post
Why can’t Rolex be Rolex and Omega be Omega. Both manufacture fine watches at their respective price points.
Best quote and was along the lines with what i would of posted.

I think both manufacturers have their own special place in the market.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote