The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 March 2019, 01:18 PM   #1
lhawli
"TRF" Member

Why Didn’t the SUB Get An Updated Movement?

Based on the outcome from Rolex this Basel, you would have thought the easies and most logical one was an updated Sub with the 3235 caliber!

Why did this not happen? I don’t care and I’m quite happy with my LV with the iconic 3135 “proved the test of time” caliber but still doesn’t make any sense!

Lastly, I realized (please calibrate me here), Rolex doesn’t just update the caliber without even making the slightest of esthetic changes, even if it’s just as silly as discontinuing a oyster bracelet for a jubilee. So what does that mean for the Subs? I’ll be dammed if they get a bracelet other than a brushed oyster - so could be a new case, thinner lugs, or even a 41?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
Rolex Cosmograph Daytona [116500LN]
lhawli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 01:19 PM   #2
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Because rolex didnt feel like doing it

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 01:20 PM   #3
RolexEDC
"TRF" Member

SMH, even the date just gets the 3235 updated movement. I guess we have to wait till the 75th sub anniversary LOL
RolexEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 01:27 PM   #4
Juan Luis
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Undecided
If it ain't broke....
Juan Luis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 01:32 PM   #5
MinMay
Banned

because they have 100+ more years to make it happen LOL... Look at their business and release strategy....they know what they're doing... Only Rolex can question their strategy.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 01:32 PM   #6
shapa
"TRF" Member

Yes I agree with you. It's very odd. They are getting a little too cute with their styling. Jubilee bracelets on sport models? A jubilee on a sub will be horrendous. It's gonna be a blah Rolex year and a more blah TRF year of postings.
shapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 01:37 PM   #7
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
It’s for next year, Basel 2020.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 01:46 PM   #8
Shamorai
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16523, 116610LV
Because it’s not really that important.
Shamorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 01:48 PM   #9
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Updates are not necessarily a yearly thing for all brands. If I am not mistaken in the past Rolex has always been pretty slow to do updates.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 01:55 PM   #10
Burbank90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Because rolex didnt feel like doing it
And now I don't feel like buying a 114060 anymore... the Seamaster 300 w/ co-axial, 55 hr power reserve, and 15K gauss resistance is looking pretty fine all a sudden.

All we wanted was a 70 hour power reserve Rolex!
Burbank90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 01:57 PM   #11
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhawli View Post
Based on the outcome from Rolex this Basel, you would have thought the easies and most logical one was an updated Sub with the 3235 caliber!

Why did this not happen? I don’t care and I’m quite happy with my LV with the iconic 3135 “proved the test of time” caliber but still doesn’t make any sense!

Lastly, I realized (please calibrate me here), Rolex doesn’t just update the caliber without even making the slightest of esthetic changes, even if it’s just as silly as discontinuing a oyster bracelet for a jubilee. So what does that mean for the Subs? I’ll be dammed if they get a bracelet other than a brushed oyster - so could be a new case, thinner lugs, or even a 41?

Because it isn't relevant to Rolex
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 01:58 PM   #12
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by shapa View Post
Yes I agree with you. It's very odd. They are getting a little too cute with their styling. Jubilee bracelets on sport models? A jubilee on a sub will be horrendous. It's gonna be a blah Rolex year and a more blah TRF year of postings.
The Jubilee on GMTs is a blast from the past, my friend.

There's nothing new about this conceptually.

Don't hold your breath for a Jubilee on a Sub, although anything is possible.

The Oyster predates the Sub, but it was designed to be robust, even in the folded link, "tuna-can" days of yore.

The Jubilee is a more refined, dressy design that would truly be out of place on any Submariner.

I wouldn't complain, but I'd be scratching my head.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 02:00 PM   #13
w2m3c
"TRF" Member

Next year, Subs, year after, Explorers get modernized perhaps?

There are probably some supply chain and manufacturing concerns, but I bet it's mostly stringing out enhancements to sustain hype and demand over the years.
w2m3c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 02:02 PM   #14
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Lastly, I realized (please calibrate me here), Rolex doesn’t just update the caliber without even making the slightest of esthetic changes, even if it’s just as silly as discontinuing a oyster bracelet for a jubilee.
The 14060 and the 14060M are examples of Rolex updating a movement without changes to the rest of the watch, except for the text on the dial regarding the chronometer rating.

There are other examples.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 03:06 PM   #15
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
"Rolex doesn’t just update the caliber without even making the slightest of esthetic changes"
Actually, they do. The last of the 16710 GMT-ll's and 16570 Explorer ll's had the new (at the time) caliber 3186 movement and the watches had no other changes to them. It's very possible the 3235 may just start showing up in the Submariner without notice.
toolr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 03:08 PM   #16
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbank90 View Post
And now I don't feel like buying a 114060 anymore... the Seamaster 300 w/ co-axial, 55 hr power reserve, and 15K gauss resistance is looking pretty fine all a sudden.

Enjoy your Seamaster 300, it's a great watch!
toolr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 03:18 PM   #17
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
Quote:

If Rolex updates all at once what would you be talking abount next year?
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 03:19 PM   #18
wolffram
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
What? A Sub on Jubilee is my dream watch...
wolffram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 05:12 PM   #19
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Why most will end up on one of these winding machines so the extra power-reserve in many cases will be irrelevant.And the average now power-reserve is fine and all Rolex have a round thing called a winding crown thats used to wind the watch if needed.If Rolex does change to the 32 series movement in the sub doubt if there will be any fanfare from Rolex as its just a simple drop in refit,the 32 series movement is the same size as the 31 series.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 07:01 PM   #20
daytonastl
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Seriously?
daytonastl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 07:32 PM   #21
Montremoi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And now I don't feel like buying a 114060 anymore..
This !!!

And it makes the BB58 more appealing than ever.
Montremoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 07:54 PM   #22
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:

Worth remembering the 16710 became the 116710 in 2007. The 16610 became the 116610 in 2010. So the current Submariner is (albeit slightly) younger.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 07:56 PM   #23
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolr View Post
Actually, they do. The last of the 16710 GMT-ll's and 16570 Explorer ll's had the new (at the time) caliber 3186 movement and the watches had no other changes to them. It's very possible the 3235 may just start showing up in the Submariner without notice.
The 3185 and 3186 are effectively the same calibre though. No case change needed.

The 32xx differs from the 31xx. It is not a direct swap/fit so would require a new case.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 08:14 PM   #24
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
If they ever bring out a jubilee on a sub that will have me checking out

The loss of the black gmt and the jubilee only gmt is a travesty

I reckon they will reintroduce the black GMT next year to great fanfare and a 10 year waiting list

It’s all tactics
colonelpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 08:36 PM   #25
AdamW
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:

I have a sub and last year picked up the 300. The Omega is a pretty impressive watch. Especially as you can get one for around 4.2K. It still doesn't "feel" like Rolex, (clasp is unfinished in parts), but it's a damn fine timepiece.

" I don't have a microwave oven but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks $h!t" - Mitch Hedburgh
AdamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 08:39 PM   #26
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Just not time for the update. Rolex will do it, the question is, when?
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 08:54 PM   #27
Rokoru
"TRF" Member

Omega and Tudor have a technically "better" movement in their divers and at a much sharper price point...
Rokoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 09:09 PM   #28
lawrence1
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Surely Rolex will be devastated to hear you won’t be buying one.
lawrence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 09:10 PM   #29
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Rolex has the most saught after watches in the world with the modern (and vintage) Daytona, gmt and certain professional diver models. This is dating back many years of Basel releases. People are assuming that subtle releases in 2019 will somehow impact that. It won’t. Also, the ceramic 3135 imo is very collectible (though not rare) it will retain value after the next sub is out. Rolex doesn’t need this event to stay relevant. It is just a platform to release watches. They use practically all 364 days (outside of Basel) to grow brand equity and desirability.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 10:05 PM   #30
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
I have a sub and last year picked up the 300. The Omega is a pretty impressive watch. Especially as you can get one for around 4.2K. It still doesn't "feel" like Rolex, (clasp is unfinished in parts), but it's a damn fine timepiece.
I had a recent Seamaster, and I agree, it's a darn fine timepiece, especially since I was able to snag a new (gray) one for under $3K. I got rid of it because I rarely wore it, why would I when I can wear a Rolex? But compare 3K to 9K and it's really hard to justify sometimes.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote