The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Closed Thread

Old 20 June 2018, 08:22 AM   #31
JPMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyktestolpe View Post
I think the seller has more to answer for then just the hack. I’m an IT security professional, and can confirm that this way if scamming a business is common. But the information that was given over phone never reached the hacker, so something is off here!
Just my 2cents I don't think there was a hack. Just think the seller either did not want to send pics of the watch or the watch not in their possession.

In one of the emails there is a bank act# if that matches the Sellers acct then there is no hack if it doesn't then there was a hack
Old 20 June 2018, 08:45 AM   #32
Lime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, JLC, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMD View Post
Just my 2cents I don't think there was a hack. Just think the seller either did not want to send pics of the watch or the watch not in their possession.

In one of the emails there is a bank act# if that matches the Sellers acct then there is no hack if it doesn't then there was a hack
OP or seller can you confirm regarding the bank account? On the other hamd if it doesnt match it could still be the seller except a different bank account
Old 20 June 2018, 03:37 PM   #33
Chewyyy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lime View Post
OP or seller can you confirm regarding the bank account? On the other hamd if it doesnt match it could still be the seller except a different bank account
Yep, legit-looking bank details in the name of Avi & Co NY were definitely shared with me at some point but another email followed shortly after saying the account is actually being closed by the accounting team and that bitcoin is the only payment option for now.
Old 28 June 2018, 07:31 AM   #34
Tourbeon
"TRF" Member

Interesting post, I have been talking to them on and off on a 15450 gold they have for sale.
Old 28 June 2018, 10:59 AM   #35
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourbeon View Post
Interesting post, I have been talking to them on and off on a 15450 gold they have for sale.

Let us know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 June 2018, 08:06 AM   #36
DARK_KNIGHT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier
Icon12

Take the safest route. Travel directly to their store.

P.S. For me the bitcoin was the giveaway. Our accounting team is closing down our bank account?
Old 29 June 2018, 12:37 PM   #37
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

IMHO the thread title might be better as: “Avi & Co hacked - Close Call for me”.

The whole thing screams 47th St. bazaar hawker. But Joe Cohen at least proffered a plausible cause for this strange email exchange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 6 July 2018, 02:24 AM   #38
NeoDough
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT2
I've been registered for a long time but haven't posted until now -- to thank Chewyyy for this! I saw a couple watches I was very interested in on Avi & Co's web site -- and of course the first place I go to research them are the good ol' Rolex Forums.

I appreciate you sharing this and possibly saving me a big mistake/headache. In my opinion a "hack" doesn't credibly fully explain what you experienced. Until Avi/Joe clear this up further, I'll definitely steer clear.

Have a great summer everyone.
Old 8 July 2018, 01:12 PM   #39
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
This must be a scam because Joe the owner of Avianne and co his last name is not cohen. Avianne is his last name he is a personal friend of mine.
Old 8 July 2018, 02:15 PM   #40
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
This must be a scam because Joe the owner of Avianne and co his last name is not cohen. Avianne is his last name he is a personal friend of mine.
So you saying post #24 is from the scammer? There is no Joe Cohen associated with this company?
Old 8 July 2018, 08:21 PM   #41
DARK_KNIGHT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
Not even Hollywood could make this up.

1. Hacking emails.

2. Hacking SMS.

3. Going on forums. Imagine how much care they had, to even go on a forum to pose as a Rep or the "owner".........

4. Hijacking telephone calls.

Immense attention to detail(s)..........but then they **** up the owner´s last name?? The hacker(s) are able to run a super sophisticated scam - but can´t get the owner´s name right? Pffffffffffffff.

Lol. Lol. Lol. Better than NetFlix and Amazon Prime ................
Old 8 July 2018, 11:13 PM   #42
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Wow, this is unreal!

This is the exact reason I work with a local Grey and its always a face to face transaction. No surprises this way.
Old 8 July 2018, 11:46 PM   #43
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

I knew something didn't smell right with that 'Aviandco' post to the thread. Account was 18 months old, yet they only post once to respond here. Last time 'Joe' logs in was 6/19 to create some smoke and mirrors.
Def not the MO of your typical Nigerian prince. This took some serious forward planning.
Old 7 August 2018, 06:17 AM   #44
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
I got a bad vibe when I called these guys last year and just decided to go AD route. Every question was quickly answered in a "yes, don't worry" kind of way if that makes sense. "Everything" was in stock but I got a feeling nothing was. I have contacts on that street (jewelry district NY) I could have asked to drop by to make sure everything is legit before making a large purchase and I could have stopped by myself during one of my trips but at the end of the day I decided it's just not worth it.
Old 7 August 2018, 06:24 AM   #45
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Last login of scammer 'Aviandco' was 6/19 to post his deflection routine. Vigilance pays off
Old 10 August 2018, 03:30 AM   #46
///armin
"TRF" Member

When an email account is hacked, typically hackers use a phishing attempt to get the password, once obtained, they can send emails on your behalf using multiple different ways, and read all incoming emails, and but incoming emails will also go to the victim's inbox, that's actually how most realize their account is hacked. Unless they change the password in which the victim would no longer get any emails.

They must have known something was wrong by either starting to get several emails that they did't recognize OR not getting any emails at all. Which for any business that that communicates through email on a daily basis, they should have known something was wrong.

Most of these phishing attempts are from hackers hacking thousands of emails in order to distribute ransomware. In the case of Avi and co, a hacker had to know their watch business inside out and targeted them directly, this is very sophisticated hack and a bit of a stretch.

If it's really in fact the case, I would be very worried right now if I were them as their entire IT system needs a close security analysis starting with their Wifi as they are going to continue to be a target.
Old 10 August 2018, 03:30 AM   #47
///armin
"TRF" Member

When an email account is hacked, typically hackers use a phishing attempt to get the password, once obtained, they can send emails on your behalf using multiple different ways, and read all incoming emails, and but incoming emails will also go to the victim's inbox, that's actually how most realize their account is hacked. Unless they change the password in which the victim would no longer get any emails.

They must have known something was wrong by either starting to get several emails that they did't recognize OR not getting any emails at all. Which for any business that that communicates through email on a daily basis, they should have known something was wrong.

Most of these phishing attempts are from hackers hacking thousands of emails in order to distribute ransomware. In the case of Avi and co, a hacker had to know their watch business inside out and targeted them directly, this is very sophisticated hack and a bit of a stretch.

If it's really in fact the case, I would be very worried right now if I were them as their entire IT system needs a close security analysis starting with their Wifi as they are going to continue to be a target.
Old 17 June 2020, 11:02 AM   #48
Silverbluedial
"TRF" Member

Avi & Co Warning - Bait and Switch Audemar Piquet Royal Oak Chronograph Blue Dial

Hi Everyone,
I wanted to alert everyone to a disturbing interaction I had with Avi & Co, an online watch retailer with a physical store in New York. They listed an AP26331 - Royal Oak Chrono Blue Face on their website for $27.8 (wire price). I sent them an email expressing interest and the response was, “Sorry, this watch is no longer available but we have one for $39K”. I’ve never purchased from them but had heard they were good so was willing to give them a shot. However, employing the old bait and switch routine out of the gate was so unexpected. Then, one of the salesmen started texting me that I was mistaken and the listing was for the Black dial variant (which, while also a great watch, is far less valuable). Clearly, I was not “mistaken” and the tact of making me prove on their website where I saw the watch after an employee already took down the listing was so slimy. Finally, the salesperson called me and accused me again of being misinformed because the price on their website was too low for a Blue dialed version. The watch retails for $26,800 (prior to 2020 it retailed for $24K). He then tried to sell me another one he can locate for $33K. After I balked at that, he said he can get me a Blue dial 15400 Royal oak for $25K but it’s used and they’re going to polish it. I asked to speak with Avi to discuss and was told he was in a “meeting” and doesn’t speak to customers but that he would have a manager call me and I could explain the situation to him. Like, why would I bother? I told them they just trashed their reputation with a potential new customer and I assume Avi is 100% aware of this practice, which is likely why he doesn’t want to speak to customers. Anyway, wanted to share here so you guys know to avoid this shady aftermarket dealer. There are so many reputable dealers out there, but this one clearly shows why you need to buy the dealer, not the watch.
Old 18 June 2020, 12:06 AM   #49
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
FYI , I have dealt with AVI & company and was very impressed with ALL of my dealings w them. I purchased a timepiece from them ,I think for around $30,000 last time. As always I paid by AMX and received the piece the next day! Just don’t understand why on earth anyone would wire money ( means send a box of cash ) to Anyone you don’t know - then to have them tell you they want bit coins - ha! I laugh at that one ! Op if the piece is what you want, purchase it thru Chrono 24.Use a CC and you are Doubly protected. AVI is a great company and I recommend them whole heartedly but still would say CC or no deal . JMO
Old 18 June 2020, 02:52 AM   #50
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
wow thats crazy
Old 5 January 2024, 12:47 PM   #51
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

i know im late

I know its weird adding to a 5 yr old thread, but I stumbled across this site and wow........no need to scam people, just look at the prices....some are double the graymarket prices which are themselves sometimes 2x-4x retail. CRAZY
Victorinox Swiss Army 24221 - circa 1985
Sold but wish I didn't
Rolex DateJust 1603 - 1972
Closed Thread