The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 10 August 2020, 09:18 AM   #31
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
Tiffany’s doesn’t charge a premium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m referring to grey market premium.
Old 10 August 2020, 09:41 AM   #32
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westoque View Post
Good point. Definitely beating a dead horse with regards to getting a PP SS and didn’t want my post to specifically point this out. If it’s pay to play then it looks like it’s where we’re going. The 5396R and 5524G isn’t looking bad at all. If I can at least try those at the Tiffany store then it would be worth. They have both those models online so hope they have it in-house.

Actually you raised an interesting question in regards to PP salon/ Tiffany but I think a 5524G with Tiffany logo would be a great first watch. Been considering it for a while but feel like I get more bang for buck at AP. I’m not necessarily sure if it will be available but I would just call them about it...
dauster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 09:43 PM   #33
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Visiting Patek at Tiffanys in 5th Ave NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
Tiffany’s doesn’t charge a premium.

Funny thing is we use to talk about paying the Tiffany premium here because all Pateks sans 5711 blue were available with a discount and tax free whereas Tiffany was full boat. I recall the 5164A and 5726A in the case when I visited Tiffany the first time.

OP I have serious doubts the 5524G is readily available at Tiffany. Maybe the 5396 though. Cant hurt to ask!
Old 10 August 2020, 10:18 PM   #34
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Funny thing is we use to talk about paying the Tiffany premium here because all Pateks sans 5711 blue were available with a discount and tax free whereas Tiffany was full boat. I recall the 5164A and 5726A in the case when I visited Tiffany the first time.

OP I have serious doubts the 5524G is readily available at Tiffany. Maybe the 5396 though. Cant hurt to ask!
I remember those days. Who knew.

Agree on the 5524, still a relatively hot watch.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 10:21 PM   #35
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yup. Read that article. It was interesting although not surprising that influence/genuineness is more valued at this level especially for Tiffany marked pieces. Was more curious if there are at least watches I can try there? I've read that some places have pieces but are not for sale like in the Geneva salon.

Go to 47th st. You'll find any "hot" watch you want to try out there. No games, no one will try to make you feel special and no ass kissing. Market price, of course.
KBM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 12:51 AM   #36
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Westoque,

Tifany has many great products, so build up a relationship by buying diamonds, peals, etc. You really should get their silverware too as we use it daily and love it. You'll never go back to flatware, that's for sure
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 01:24 AM   #37
Reign
"TRF" Member

I called today to ask about an appointment and to ask about an allocation for a lowly 5205 - sold out and no stock for the rest of the year. We pretty much left it at that sigh...
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 02:06 AM   #38
Watchflair
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
I've been there a few times. Kelly is very accommodating and welcoming. I haven't made a purchase yet but did talk watches and check out a few pieces.

I jokingly brought up the stainless sports pieces and she was candid with her response.

Definitely worth a visit - plenty of pieces to drool over. I would just go in and meet the staff - express your interest and go from there. Sold out the rest of the year - it's August and a new year is on the horizon.

I've been contemplating my first PP. I was at first leaning towards an AP but there's an annual calendar that's been catching my eye.
Old 11 August 2020, 02:53 AM   #39
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
I've been there a few times. Kelly is very accommodating and welcoming. I haven't made a purchase yet but did talk watches and check out a few pieces.

I jokingly brought up the stainless sports pieces and she was candid with her response.

Definitely worth a visit - plenty of pieces to drool over. I would just go in and meet the staff - express your interest and go from there. Sold out the rest of the year - it's August and a new year is on the horizon.

I've been contemplating my first PP. I was at first leaning towards an AP but there's an annual calendar that's been catching my eye.

Cheers. I’ve been exclusively buying APs for awhile and want to make a small move to PP and thought a 5205 was a reasonable first step. I’ll follow up accordingly and maybe just drop in
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 04:27 AM   #40
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek

They offer me a 5960 and I turn it down.........^^^...... The closest Patek sport watch that I could get...^^^...

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 04:36 AM   #41
westoque
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Apple Watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Westoque,

Tifany has many great products, so build up a relationship by buying diamonds, peals, etc. You really should get their silverware too as we use it daily and love it. You'll never go back to flatware, that's for sure

You’re really up-selling that silverware on me. Lol As long as there’s no waitlist then I’m in! :D

westoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 06:13 AM   #42
Phrank
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post

Yup - my first will be the Patek 5135 Gondolo, there is a YG/RG version with a red second hand, it's a big watch with lots of presence, annual calendar with a moonphase, ticks all the boxes for me - plan is within the next 3 years hopefully.

Which one are you thinking of?
Phrank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 07:23 AM   #43
Watchflair
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post
Yup - my first will be the Patek 5135 Gondolo, there is a YG/RG version with a red second hand, it's a big watch with lots of presence, annual calendar with a moonphase, ticks all the boxes for me - plan is within the next 3 years hopefully.

Which one are you thinking of?
The 5146 does it for me - I think it can be dressed up and down fairly easily.
Old 11 August 2020, 09:03 AM   #44
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
i must be completely out of it, i thought they stopped marking Tiffany (among others) pieces long ago.
but definitely check them out. can't possibly be a waste of time, even if you don't walk out with a watch.
not sure about the rest of you, but i personally never leave the zoo with an animal.
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 09:48 AM   #45
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoPico View Post
i must be completely out of it, i thought they stopped marking Tiffany (among others) pieces long ago.
but definitely check them out. can't possibly be a waste of time, even if you don't walk out with a watch.
not sure about the rest of you, but i personally never leave the zoo with an animal.
Alexandre in SF PP/ Tiffany is a great guy and fun to talk watches with. Definitely check in there.

Chatted with him a few times when the wife had some issues/ repairs with her jewelry. He told me the last guy "new guy" that actually had a shot at getting "hot watches" started in early 2019 and spent 50-100k a month for a few months in a row and now I think he had a realistic shot at a 5712.

I asked him straight up and he said 350-500k gets the conversation started preferably in PP watches but if I would start buying jewelry for the wife that would also be fine but not count as much towards hot pieces or enamel application stuff. I kind of liked his real talk and that he did not beat around the bush but was still friendly and cordial and you could talk about anything even my measly Moonwatch that I was wearing.
dauster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 12:06 PM   #46
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Honestly, the hype around Tiffany Pateks over the past few years (starting with that one time someone flipped a brand new Tiffany 5711 or 5712 for double++ at auction) ruined it for the true enthusiasts like us.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 01:08 PM   #47
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
First time visiting this place. Was wondering if anybody has been to this place and how the experience was and any other things to do (besides checking out watches)?

For context, I want to check out a Patek Aquanaut 5167 so I can see it in person and other pieces if they have it.

It takes quite a while to build a relationship with them (or any AD for that matter). That said, they are highly knowledgeable and if you are patient and loyal, your turn will come up.

UmichNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 01:50 PM   #48
westoque
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmichNJ View Post
It takes quite a while to build a relationship with them (or any AD for that matter). That said, they are highly knowledgeable and if you are patient and loyal, your turn will come up.

Great answer! You said patient and loyal, does that imply you have to spend a lot as well? Honestly, if it takes 300-500k range to get an SS model then that’s a lot money for loyalty I would say.

I’d still go either way because I always like to see what happens and it stimulates my general curiosity.

Old 11 August 2020, 06:18 PM   #49
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Honestly, the hype around Tiffany Pateks over the past few years (starting with that one time someone flipped a brand new Tiffany 5711 or 5712 for double++ at auction) ruined it for the true enthusiasts like us.
Agree - this is all unhealthy hype and nothing to do with WISdom (only exception being retailer stamps on vintage pieces that tell part of the watch's history).
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 06:31 PM   #50
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMartiny View Post
Agree - this is all unhealthy hype and nothing to do with WISdom (only exception being retailer stamps on vintage pieces that tell part of the watch's history).
Agreed.

GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 09:48 PM   #51
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You’re really up-selling that silverware on me. Lol As long as there’s no waitlist then I’m in! :D
Do it! Seriously, it really is great using it as daily silverware.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 08:35 AM   #52
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Alexandre in SF PP/ Tiffany is a great guy and fun to talk watches with. Definitely check in there.

Chatted with him a few times when the wife had some issues/ repairs with her jewelry. He told me the last guy "new guy" that actually had a shot at getting "hot watches" started in early 2019 and spent 50-100k a month for a few months in a row and now I think he had a realistic shot at a 5712.

I asked him straight up and he said 350-500k gets the conversation started preferably in PP watches but if I would start buying jewelry for the wife that would also be fine but not count as much towards hot pieces or enamel application stuff. I kind of liked his real talk and that he did not beat around the bush but was still friendly and cordial and you could talk about anything even my measly Moonwatch that I was wearing.
I guess I can always go in just because I love watches. But that is a bit disheartening. Feel like I'll never get a Nautilus now.
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 08:56 AM   #53
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Great answer! You said patient and loyal, does that imply you have to spend a lot as well? Honestly, if it takes 300-500k range to get an SS model then that’s a lot money for loyalty I would say.

I’d still go either way because I always like to see what happens and it stimulates my general curiosity.

I’m not sure that there is a fixed dollar amount, per se. I don’t think a first time buyer can walk up and buy a steel sports watch (at Tiffany or any AD, for that matter). Someone who’s patient (think multiple years), friendly, and has a demonstrated purchase history at Tiffany (and/or Patek boutique) has a solid shot.

Old 12 August 2020, 09:16 AM   #54
westoque
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmichNJ View Post
I’m not sure that there is a fixed dollar amount, per se. I don’t think a first time buyer can walk up and buy a steel sports watch (at Tiffany or any AD, for that matter). Someone who’s patient (think multiple years), friendly, and has a demonstrated purchase history at Tiffany (and/or Patek boutique) has a solid shot.

Agreed, thinking about this more I believe you probably have a good shot getting a steel sports watch if you buy a watch at least once every year (any model) and who knows by by year 3 you’d have a decent shot.

For getting the watch you want, I figured it boils down to some scenarios:

1. You are famous/influential. Giving you the watch will increase the brands/watches value by people just seeing you wear it. Also means they will give you the watch with minimal to 0 wait.
2. You are a big spender, you spend a lot of money with them, therefore it would be easier for you to get the watch you want albeit a small wait time (weeks/months)
3. You are loyal to the brand. What I mentioned above, you buy their watches exclusively at a somewhat consistent rate, therefore, you will get the watch in moderate-long (years).

Seems like I’ll be in bucket 3. Unless I go grey of course. Costs more but no wait, easier to get but less meaningful (personally speaking).

Old 12 August 2020, 01:02 PM   #55
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agreed, thinking about this more I believe you probably have a good shot getting a steel sports watch if you buy a watch at least once every year (any model) and who knows by by year 3 you’d have a decent shot.

For getting the watch you want, I figured it boils down to some scenarios:

1. You are famous/influential. Giving you the watch will increase the brands/watches value by people just seeing you wear it. Also means they will give you the watch with minimal to 0 wait.
2. You are a big spender, you spend a lot of money with them, therefore it would be easier for you to get the watch you want albeit a small wait time (weeks/months)
3. You are loyal to the brand. What I mentioned above, you buy their watches exclusively at a somewhat consistent rate, therefore, you will get the watch in moderate-long (years).

Seems like I’ll be in bucket 3. Unless I go grey of course. Costs more but no wait, easier to get but less meaningful (personally speaking).

I’d tell you that you can be in all three buckets and still wait. It probably took about four years for me to get the 5711. During those four years I purchased a 5524, 5522, and 5146.