The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 12 August 2020, 08:55 AM   #1
EUguy
"TRF" Member

Dangerous question: 5164 vs 5524

Hi all you watch / Patek lovers,

I know I am in dangerous terrain with asking this question — probably will get some comments like you cannot compair apples with pears... Nevertheless, I’m gonna do it.

Have been in love with the 5164 for quite some time. However, I was lucky enough to try on the 5524 today and fell absolutely in love with it. Where I expected the 5524 to feel like a dress watch with its leather strap and gold finish, it felt on my wrist like a watch that could be my new daily watch... I am attracted by the versatility of the 5164, being an under the radar watch, but I get the feeling that the 5524 could do the same trick... Wearing it with a suit, wearing it casually, maybe even on shorts. Okay, the 5164 could also be worn on swim shorts or on the tennis court which is not the case with the 5524 due to its leather strap, but for the rest the 5524 seems very versatile to me as well.

Just interested what you guys think. Thank you all for sharing your thoughts with me.
EUguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 09:03 AM   #2
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
I’ll tell you from the beginning that in this forum , 5164 will win. I had both , and I am happier with the 5524.

If you want the watch with more demand and more sought after , then that’s easy go for 5164.

It’s just too much wrist awareness for my happiness with the 5164

Can’t go wrong ,
With 5164 if you buy from AD you are golden , now 5524 will sink like the titanic but it’s such a great watch

Enjoy the hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 09:17 AM   #3
EUguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
I’ll tell you from the beginning that in this forum , 5164 will win. I had both , and I am happier with the 5524.

If you want the watch with more demand and more sought after , then that’s easy go for 5164.

It’s just too much wrist awareness for my happiness with the 5164

Can’t go wrong ,
With 5164 if you buy from AD you are golden , now 5524 will sink like the titanic but it’s such a great watch

Enjoy the hunt

Thank you for your kind reply and love reading that you love your 5524. Is it white or rose gold? Although it is nicer to be a watch that is Immediately doubled in value when you exit the store, I never ever sold a watch to date and would not sell either of them. In that respect I do not care too much about the value.

What do you mean with this sentence (apologies but English is not my mother tongue): “It’s just too much wrist awareness for my happiness with the 5164”
Old 12 August 2020, 09:22 AM   #4
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Both are great watches but I much prefer the 5164 and has nothing to do w hype - I just like the way it sits on the wrist better, the rubber strap, the under the radar look. 5524 just didn’t feel right on me and just wasn’t my style . That doesn’t mean it isn’t a great watch though. I would pick the one that feels more “right” when you try it on , not the one that is more readily obtainable .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 09:23 AM   #5
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUguy View Post
Thank you for your kind reply and love reading that you love your 5524. Is it white or rose gold? Although it is nicer to be a watch that is Immediately doubled in value when you exit the store, I never ever sold a watch to date and would not sell either of them. In that respect I do not care too much about the value.

What do you mean with this sentence (apologies but English is not my mother tongue): “It’s just too much wrist awareness for my happiness with the 5164”

It means that the Bezel of the aquanaut is very easily scratched, so you have to wear the watch in complete awareness so you don’t mess it up.
I like to enjoy the watch , without worrying to much about it , but that’s me , there’s plenty of people that don’t care about that.

I had both metals on the 5524, 5524G first and now I have the 5524R. For my only patek it makes more sense to me the rose gold version. The white gold is more under the radar , but for my patek I don’t want to see it that simple , just preference I guess.

Albert Einstein
Old 12 August 2020, 09:25 AM   #6
EUguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Both are great watches but I much prefer the 5164 and has nothing to do w hype - I just like the way it sits on the wrist better, the rubber strap, the under the radar look. 5524 just didn’t feel right on me and just wasn’t my style . That doesn’t mean it isn’t a great watch though. I would pick the one that feels more “right” when you try it on , not the one that is more readily obtainable .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks for your reply. Makes a lot of sense. Problem though is that the 5164 is not readily available so I cannot try it on where you can just get the 5524 at the AD. A friend of mine has the 5167 but I read that the 5164 wears very differently from the 5167.
Old 12 August 2020, 09:27 AM   #7
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

I had both and for my wrist 5164 is perfect. 5524 is a beautiful watch but too big for me.
GeraldGentaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 09:28 AM   #8
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

To me the 5164 is much better but it's a personal choice. The main thing I've noticed owning the 5164 is how truly balanced/symmetrical it is. The pushers in this case gives that extra balance compared to the crown guard side and the globe in globe balanced dial is all part of the package. The 5524 is cool but I personally can't get past those pushers.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 09:45 AM   #9
EUguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It means that the Bezel of the aquanaut is very easily scratched, so you have to wear the watch in complete awareness so you don’t mess it up.
I like to enjoy the watch , without worrying to much about it , but that’s me , there’s plenty of people that don’t care about that.

I had both metals on the 5524, 5524G first and now I have the 5524R. For my only patek it makes more sense to me the rose gold version. The white gold is more under the radar , but for my patek I don’t want to see it that simple , just preference I guess.

Thanks. Read that before about the Aquanaut scratching very easily. Although I know that the first scratch hurts most, I would hate to check my watch several times a day for new scratches on the besel. I am working at my desk most of the day, but still it would bother me to be too careful. However, I know people wearing the 5167 and 5065 everyday as their daily beater. Would that be possible with the 5524 as well? I have read people saying that a gold Patek is too delicate to wear everyday. I wore a gold Reverso for many years as a daily watch and did not have problems with it. Very curious to know if that would be the same with the 5524?
Old 12 August 2020, 10:00 AM   #10
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks. Read that before about the Aquanaut scratching very easily. Although I know that the first scratch hurts most, I would hate to check my watch several times a day for new scratches on the besel. I am working at my desk most of the day, but still it would bother me to be too careful. However, I know people wearing the 5167 and 5065 everyday as their daily beater. Would that be possible with the 5524 as well? I have read people saying that a gold Patek is too delicate to wear everyday. I wore a gold Reverso for many years as a daily watch and did not have problems with it. Very curious to know if that would be the same with the 5524?

Yeah people can wear it as their daily beater (5164) I just personally hate to see the swirls on the bezel even when you are careful. Hate the pushers of the 5164 because you press them accidentally all the time and then if you are in a different time zone you don’t know if that’s really the gmt time you set up or you mess with it accidentally. 5524 pushers can be locked so that’s doesn’t happen , that’s a feature 5164 lacks.

5524R has cooper (rose gold) so it’s harder to scratch than 5524g. But no matter what , any 5524 it’s easier to be a daily than the 5164.

Here are pics of my previous 5164R and 5524G, and my current 5524R

Albert Einstein
Old 12 August 2020, 10:12 AM   #11
EUguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah people can wear it as their daily beater (5164) I just personally hate to see the swirls on the bezel even when you are careful. Hate the pushers of the 5164 because you press them accidentally all the time and then if you are in a different time zone you don’t know if that’s really the gmt time you set up or you mess with it accidentally. 5524 pushers can be locked so that’s doesn’t happen , that’s a feature 5164 lacks.

5524R has cooper (rose gold) so it’s harder to scratch than 5524g. But no matter what , any 5524 it’s easier to be a daily than the 5164.

Here are pics of my previous 5164R and 5524G, and my current 5524R

Thank you. Gorgeous watches, all of them. Very helpful to learn from your fist hand experiences. Don’t know if you are located in a hot area but can you wear the leather strap of the 5524 all year around, as possible with the tropical Aquanaut strap? Was quite surprised by how soft and flexible the 5524 strap was. I once ruined a Reverso crocodile strap during a three day trip to NYC in summer... Would hate that to happen to the 5524 strap.
Old 12 August 2020, 10:19 AM   #12
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

Personally, I’d say 5524. Not a fan of 5164a. I much prefer the 5167. I think the dial has a cleaner look. So if you were just choosing between those two, I’d go with 5524.
Old 12 August 2020, 10:28 AM   #13
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you. Gorgeous watches, all of them. Very helpful to learn from your fist hand experiences. Don’t know if you are located in a hot area but can you wear the leather strap of the 5524 all year around, as possible with the tropical Aquanaut strap? Was quite surprised by how soft and flexible the 5524 strap was. I once ruined a Reverso crocodile strap during a three day trip to NYC in summer... Would hate that to happen to the 5524 strap.

Yeah not a problem, but remember we you can change straps, I was just saying this on another thread and I posted this pics there:

Albert Einstein
Old 12 August 2020, 10:35 AM   #14
EUguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah not a problem, but remember we you can change straps, I was just saying this on another thread and I posted this pics there:

Amazing. Love it and thanks for all the pictures. Can the straps be removed easily? Do they have a quick release like many Cartier watches or do you need a watch tool?
Old 12 August 2020, 10:41 AM   #15
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Dangerous question: 5164 vs 5524

Quote:
Amazing. Love it and thanks for all the pictures. Can the straps be removed easily? Do they have a quick release like many Cartier watches or do you need a watch tool?
If you look hard enough you can find straps with quick release. Two of those straps have quick release , the other ones require spring bar tool.

Albert Einstein
Old 12 August 2020, 10:50 AM   #16
martinr
"TRF" Member

You can wear either watch with anything you want, don’t even think twice about what either will go with, nobody will ever notice anyway. Buy the one you prefer.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 11:10 AM   #17
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I prefer the 5524, it’s just a touch too big for me sadly.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 11:36 AM   #18
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

If you looking for a solid travel time watch, both the 5164 and 5524 would serve that purpose. However they fit differently on the wrist. Aquanaut with the rubber strap is quite comfortable and you can swim with it on, whereas you probably should not with a 5524 with leather straps. The 5524 is larger in size and it may or may not work for those with smaller wrists.

The 5524 is reasonably priced nowadays. For the first couple of years after its release, it was a "hot watch" and sold over retail in the pre-owned market. Now the market has reversed and you can get it for a discount.

In today's crazy market, the Aquanaut is overpriced, just like the Nautilus. But the 5164 is a nice watch and you may want to try and find one to try on, maybe at a gray dealer, before making your final decision.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 12:48 PM   #19
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

If it’s not an aquanaut or a nautilus you pass
Old 12 August 2020, 12:58 PM   #20
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi all you watch / Patek lovers,

I know I am in dangerous terrain with asking this question — probably will get some comments like you cannot compair apples with pears... Nevertheless, I’m gonna do it.

Have been in love with the 5164 for quite some time. However, I was lucky enough to try on the 5524 today and fell absolutely in love with it. Where I expected the 5524 to feel like a dress watch with its leather strap and gold finish, it felt on my wrist like a watch that could be my new daily watch... I am attracted by the versatility of the 5164, being an under the radar watch, but I get the feeling that the 5524 could do the same trick... Wearing it with a suit, wearing it casually, maybe even on shorts. Okay, the 5164 could also be worn on swim shorts or on the tennis court which is not the case with the 5524 due to its leather strap, but for the rest the 5524 seems very versatile to me as well.

Just interested what you guys think. Thank you all for sharing your thoughts with me.

I own both. I’d give the slight edge to the 5164 since I like to swim and run when I travel. I also think the 5164 is a very under the radar piece. That said, the linkage to aviation with the 5524 makes it a fun companion when flying.

UmichNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 07:54 PM   #21
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
For a travel watch I prefer steel and rubber. The 5164a works well as a travel watch and as daily during warmer periods of the year. Wears very comfortably and with a bit more wrist presence than a 5167.

Sure you will get a few small scratches to the bezel if your wear as a daily, but life is short and fine watches here to wear and enjoy. Scratches can always be removed at service, if you prefer so.
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 12:11 AM   #22
helloworldies
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Vacheron
The 5164a is a lot more flexible for daily wear if a little understated which may or may not appeal.
helloworldies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 01:16 AM   #23
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
I think both are beautiful but are different watches. From a value perspective, you can pick up a a 5524G in the low $30s if you are careful. The 5164 is a good $20k higher. The 5524 is a bit of a better value on the grey and of course the 5164A has good value retention if you get it from the AD.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 01:20 AM   #24
m56
Banned

The 5164 fits perfectly on the wrist IMO, thus that'll always be preferred.
m56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 04:29 AM   #25
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
My visceral reaction to wearing both watches was very different, I really loved the 64 and thought about it regularly for a couple of years before the price situation became favourable to a buy; the 5524 never wowed me, felt a bit flat on me, bit like the 67.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 02:35 PM   #26
Jareddad
"TRF" Member

5164 all the way. It's my favorite watch and I wear it daily. Can wear it anywhere for any occasion pretty much.
Jareddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 06:00 PM   #27
Pateks
Banned

Get both.
Pateks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 10:27 AM   #28
EUguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pateks View Post
Get both.
That would be a dream come true. Getting either one of them as well btw!
Old 14 August 2020, 11:21 PM   #29
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
Fratello just published a feature on the awesomeness of the 5164: https://www.fratellowatches.com/pate...t-travel-time/
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 08:35 AM   #30
ibr123
2024 Pledge Member

I like 5524 for its versatility, especially with different straps.

ibr123 is offline   Reply With Quote