The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 12 May 2021, 05:34 AM   #1
lovewatches1987
"TRF" Member

Available in store Patek models/price holding?

Hello all, I currently have Rolex steel and steel AP RO in humble collection and thinking about adding Patek. My favorite is 5726 blue, but unfortunately unobtainable at retail. So my question is which of Patek models that are obtainable or available in PP stores would hold value best or at least will have relatively small loses?
lovewatches1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 06:09 AM   #2
CastorKrieg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovewatches1987 View Post
Hello all, I currently have Rolex steel and steel AP RO in humble collection and thinking about adding Patek. My favorite is 5726 blue, but unfortunately unobtainable at retail. So my question is which of Patek models that are obtainable or available in PP stores would hold value best or at least will have relatively small loses?
Honest answer - impossible to tell. Sports watches are a sure lock-in, but as you mentioned everyone knows that so you cannot get them in store.

5205 variants should hold value well. Also if you are feeling a bit out of the ordinary 5235 will for sure become a cult classic, it's just so different than the rest of the collection.
CastorKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 06:38 AM   #3
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Are you asking for a bundle piece? Not even sure a basic AC does it these days. I’d focus on something you like and would wear in the hopes you score some candy too
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 09:42 AM   #4
lovewatches1987
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastorKrieg View Post
Honest answer - impossible to tell. Sports watches are a sure lock-in, but as you mentioned everyone knows that so you cannot get them in store.

5205 variants should hold value well. Also if you are feeling a bit out of the ordinary 5235 will for sure become a cult classic, it's just so different than the rest of the collection.
I tried both 5205 and 5235, they are beautiful, but considering 53k$ and 55k$ retail and about 37k$ grey market that's more than 30% loss. And I will probably have to go with one of them if no one advise a better alternative)

Also, they both come with tangle buckle. So Patek logo buckle should be purchased separately?
Old 12 May 2021, 09:50 AM   #5
lovewatches1987
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Are you asking for a bundle piece? Not even sure a basic AC does it these days. I’d focus on something you like and would wear in the hopes you score some candy too
When ask AD a question if they can give me a Nautilus if I buy any of available Patek pieces, they always say the same fairytale - that the last time they saw Nau it was somewhere in 1987 and it was sold to man who has spent 17 million in their store in the past and bla bla... Just doesn't sound promising at all :(

And at they same time, greys have all of them in stock
Old 12 May 2021, 09:57 AM   #6
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
When ask AD a question if they can give me a Nautilus if I buy any of available Patek pieces, they always say the same fairytale - that the last time they saw Nau it was somewhere in 1987 and it was sold to man who has spent 17 million in their store in the past and bla bla... Just doesn't sound promising at all :(

Sounds like the typical answer they give to new clients. Nowadays I don’t even think a perpetual is a guarantee for a Nautilus.
Vipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 09:58 AM   #7
SBC1986
"TRF" Member

I would say if the only PP you love is the nautilus then buy it grey. It is cheaper than buying 2-3 watches you don't really enjoy to maybe get what you want. All PP hold their value pretty well. The watches that lag behind will come up in price, so if you buy what you like and hold for a long time you can hardly go wrong IMHO.
SBC1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 10:30 AM   #8
lovewatches1987
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC1986 View Post
I would say if the only PP you love is the nautilus then buy it grey. It is cheaper than buying 2-3 watches you don't really enjoy to maybe get what you want. All PP hold their value pretty well. The watches that lag behind will come up in price, so if you buy what you like and hold for a long time you can hardly go wrong IMHO.
Omg 2-3??!! I was hoping 1 would help) I was thinking to get 5130 or 5235 or 5205 or 5396 and hopefully get offered a Nau later
Old 12 May 2021, 10:51 AM   #9
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Omg 2-3??!! I was hoping 1 would help) I was thinking to get 5130 or 5235 or 5205 or 5396 and hopefully get offered a Nau later
No chance tbh…. I was told to stand a chance to get a Nautilus in any variation the pathway is 5 Patek - with minimum of a calatrava, complication and a grand complication out of the 5. Then the wait time is 1 year.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 10:55 AM   #10
usnwfu
"TRF" Member

yeah 1 won't do it unless maybe if you buy a grand comp. AD knows the resell, they won't talk about it but they do. for example if they know a 5726 will net you a profit of 50k, there's no way they will let you take a 40k "loss" on 2-3 watches but a net of a 10k gain if you just flip all the pieces including the 5726.

if you want 1 watch, just buy grey your time is worth something. Also don't buy a dress watch just to get on the 'list' ... buy it if you like it and build towards a Nautilus. 5205 in blue is nice, market value when I looked was almost 90% so not a huge loss.
usnwfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 11:26 AM   #11
lovewatches1987
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
No chance tbh…. I was told to stand a chance to get a Nautilus in any variation the pathway is 5 Patek - with minimum of a calatrava, complication and a grand complication out of the 5. Then the wait time is 1 year.
You were told that in Patek AD or by someone else?
Old 12 May 2021, 02:07 PM   #12
David001
Banned

You'll lose 40% of the value of anything out of the case as soon as you walk out of the door. People might tell you different because the grey dealers have high tags on their watches, but ignore them, when you try and sell it that's what you'll get.

Buy it because you want it.

If this is an attempt to get a Nautilus then just buy grey, you're not getting a Nautilus these days unless you've spent $250k previously.
David001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 05:43 PM   #13
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You were told that in Patek AD or by someone else?
By someone working within the management of an AD. I asked them realistically what’s the deal to get a Nautilus and that was the given answer. Watch to be allocated within a year once the target is met.
Old 12 May 2021, 07:42 PM   #14
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Buy a 5227 or a 5524. Both are great watches and the loss is around 20% but with the complete unavailability of stainless Pateks, this could change.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 08:54 PM   #15
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622
With the way things are going, i won't be surprised if even models that used to take a hit out the stores start becoming unobtainable and sell above retail in the near future.
Old 12 May 2021, 09:34 PM   #16
liljctl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
By someone working within the management of an AD. I asked them realistically what’s the deal to get a Nautilus and that was the given answer. Watch to be allocated within a year once the target is met.
Really interesting. Is this THG or Cortina?
liljctl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 09:42 PM   #17
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljctl View Post
Really interesting. Is this THG or Cortina?
The one which is used to time things with sand hahaha. And they don’t do bundles.
Old 12 May 2021, 10:43 PM   #18
CastorKrieg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Quote:
I tried both 5205 and 5235, they are beautiful, but considering 53k$ and 55k$ retail and about 37k$ grey market that's more than 30% loss. And I will probably have to go with one of them if no one advise a better alternative)

Also, they both come with tangle buckle. So Patek logo buckle should be purchased separately?
Go for 5235 as it is the one most likely to increase in price over the years and be in demand (do note I am talking about 10+ years). It's not in demand now, the production is low = less watches out there.

Regarding the buckle - I don't know if you are aware but 5235 has a unique Art Deco buckle, present only with this model, same goes for movement. For that reason I would stick to it and not purchase a different one.
CastorKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 11:52 PM   #19
BonVivantGems
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: RX/AP/PP
I think the 5930G is a sleeper here. Very unpopular as most ADs have been sitting on one for months if not over a year. You will be helping them get out of a watch that hasn't moved and they will likely give you a deal on it. I think it also has all the hallmarks of a watch that will be worth much more in the long-term. And frankly, the watch is freaking gorgeous.
BonVivantGems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 11:54 PM   #20
Toffeeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5164A
Looks like Nautilus is beyond me although I have two PP from The ‘time things in the sand’ shop. One more WT from them at best.
Toffeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 12:42 AM   #21
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toffeeman View Post
Looks like Nautilus is beyond me although I have two PP from The ‘time things in the sand’ shop. One more WT from them at best.
Hey! Nice to meet a fellow Malaysian!
It’s hard these days when even Datejust are waitlisted across all ADs. I tried calling all of them in KL and Penang and none had SS Datejust. All had two tones and even then those two tone ones have diamond in their dial or bezel.

Congrats on your two Patek! Which ones are they?
Old 13 May 2021, 12:46 AM   #22
Toffeeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5164A
Available in store Patek models/price holding?

5235 and 5164a.

And I agree with u; they don’t do bundles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Toffeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 09:18 AM   #23
MrBigSmiles
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/PAM/Rolex
I love my 5235R...never bored with the brushed dial and unique dial layout.

MrBigSmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 01:40 AM   #24
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
To be honest, its cheaper to buy at grey market.
Why? In order to buy hot watches at AD or Boutique: you have to spending close to half a mil to mil. On top of it their stories and fake waitlist.

Rather goto grey dealer and grab it. Save money and hassle.
Old 14 May 2021, 03:17 AM   #25
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would take your time to check out as many Patek watches you can and try them on your wrist. There is no rush and watch collecting is a lifelong venture. You will find something you like. If you are solely focused on value retention or making a profit, you will find it tough as a Patek newcomer.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 07:11 AM   #26
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Quote:
If you are thinking bout 1 piece. No chance. There are more than thousands of willing individuals that would swing that kind of deal.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 10:40 AM   #27
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Are you getting a 5205 or 5235 because you like it or just to bundle? If you really like the watch and plan to add to your collection, I guess you answered your own question already. Grey is 30% lower and it should hold up at resale.

But if you are planning to bundle with a Nautilius and resell the 5205/5235, that's probably a more complicated question...
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 11:24 AM   #28
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622
Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
Are you getting a 5205 or 5235 because you like it or just to bundle? If you really like the watch and plan to add to your collection, I guess you answered your own question already. Grey is 30% lower and it should hold up at resale.

But if you are planning to bundle with a Nautilius and resell the 5205/5235, that's probably a more complicated question...
No way he's getting a nautilus just from purchasing a 5205/5235 tbh.
Old 14 May 2021, 06:17 PM   #29
Breizh
"TRF" Member

Get what you like, if not available at AD go grey.
You never know what piece will retain its value.

This was me trying to decide which one I preferred 6 years ago, both available at every AD I visited...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 07DE5F6A-314D-4196-93B5-505BE903E1D7.jpeg (217.5 KB, 2038 views)
Breizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 07:17 PM   #30
lukey77
"TRF" Member

Quote:

If you’ve already got a RO on bracelet, and you like the look of 5726, I’d go for the underrated 5726 on leather. I have it and absolutely love it. The leather really adds quality to the watch in my opinion.

lukey77 is offline   Reply With Quote