The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 15 May 2021, 02:46 AM   #31
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breizh View Post
Get what you like, if not available at AD go grey.
You never know what piece will retain its value.

This was me trying to decide which one I preferred 6 years ago, both available at every AD I visited...
Crazy times haha.

Minus the craze, the 5205 looks nicer. The Nautilus looks so bulky due to the complication.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 12:14 PM   #32
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
The watch you can get at an AD that will lose the least is a 5196 but that's just because it is the cheapest. I would recommend finding something in the Patek catalog that YOU like and establish a relationship with a local dealer. Maybe some day that will get you either a Nautilus or whatever is the next popular thing.
Or, trade your existing collection for the perfect 1 watch collection that is the 5726.
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 01:52 PM   #33
lovewatches1987
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chute View Post
The watch you can get at an AD that will lose the least is a 5196 but that's just because it is the cheapest. I would recommend finding something in the Patek catalog that YOU like and establish a relationship with a local dealer. Maybe some day that will get you either a Nautilus or whatever is the next popular thing.
Or, trade your existing collection for the perfect 1 watch collection that is the 5726.
So far i think that itís the best idea to establish relationships buying the piece I really like. 5196 is elegant and classy, but a bit too simple imho. I donít love Nautilus more than my RO and or other Rolexes so trading several watches for 1 is not an option:)
lovewatches1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 01:54 PM   #34
lovewatches1987
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breizh View Post
Get what you like, if not available at AD go grey.
You never know what piece will retain its value.

This was me trying to decide which one I preferred 6 years ago, both available at every AD I visited...
5205 looks even nicer than Nautilus on that picture)

Which one did you choose then?
Old 18 May 2021, 03:20 PM   #35
Breizh
"TRF" Member

I ended up deciding on the Nautilus, but by the time I had made my choice, they were gone from ADs.
And to make matters worse, I sold my Aquanaut to finance the purchase for a fraction of what they're worth now.
So my timing was wrong on all counts

I do not regret my decision as I am truly happy with the watch. And that's my advice: get what you like, you can't predict the market (at least I wasn't )
Breizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 12:16 AM   #36
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovewatches1987 View Post
When ask AD a question if they can give me a Nautilus if I buy any of available Patek pieces, they always say the same fairytale - that the last time they saw Nau it was somewhere in 1987 and it was sold to man who has spent 17 million in their store in the past and bla bla... Just doesn't sound promising at all :(

And at they same time, greys have all of them in stock
Lol so accurate
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2021, 10:04 AM   #37
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Unless you have spent or are willing to spend unconditionally at the Patek AD, then that route to the Nautilus just isn’t there.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2021, 01:09 PM   #38
QuantumOceanLawyer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Last one I bought
My first PP was a 5167 last year. Waited about six months. Didnít buy anything else from them. I was pretty persistent that I just love watches from a horological standpoint and was going to keep it. He knew I had a good collection and I was serious about just shopping at that AD. It meant a lot that this SP got it for me and I havenít bought a watch from another AD since. He got me as a customer for life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QuantumOceanLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2021, 01:27 PM   #39
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
Quote:
So far i think that itís the best idea to establish relationships buying the piece I really like. 5196 is elegant and classy, but a bit too simple imho. I donít love Nautilus more than my RO and or other Rolexes so trading several watches for 1 is not an option:)
I get it, I always say I'll sell or trade some watches if something I want more comes along, but I can't bring myself to do it.

If you don't like the 5196, look for something else in the catalog.

If the 5726 is the only Patek you want, you're going to have to get it in the Grey market as getting one with no history is impossible.

I will say, I was on the list for a stainless Patek for years with no purchase history, but once I bought the 5196, I was allocated a very desirable stainless PP six months later because the AD got the correct impression that I am really into watches and am not a flipper.

If you want to go the AD route to get a 5726, you need to spend time and money at a dealer and establish a relationship with a Sales associate you get along with.
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2021, 01:55 PM   #40
lovewatches1987
"TRF" Member

In your opinion, is it okay to ask AD a question like “if i get available watch from your showcase (let’s say 5235 or 5205 or 5196) will you be able to get me a Nautilus”? I can show them pictures of current collection if they want
Old 23 May 2021, 02:40 PM   #41
Robine
Banned

Its, like, totally ok.
Robine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2021, 03:36 PM   #42
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5231J-001
Quote:
In your opinion, is it okay to ask AD a question like ďif i get available watch from your showcase (letís say 5235 or 5205 or 5196) will you be able to get me a NautilusĒ? I can show them pictures of current collection if they want
Yes but u wonít get any SS sport with 1 purchase or a 5235 or 5205 unfortunately.
Old 7 June 2021, 02:44 AM   #43
fixinbones
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118206
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonVivantGems View Post
I think the 5930G is a sleeper here. Very unpopular as most ADs have been sitting on one for months if not over a year. You will be helping them get out of a watch that hasn't moved and they will likely give you a deal on it. I think it also has all the hallmarks of a watch that will be worth much more in the long-term. And frankly, the watch is freaking gorgeous.
Yeah the 5930g is a beauty! Itís on my list of possible future watches and at a reasonable price.
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2021, 04:13 AM   #44
dchang81
2021 Pledge Member

one watch bundle there's no way. i mean if you get a nautilus the dealer is basically handing you 50k cash if not more. everyone gets mad at dealers but would anyone in their right mind hand anyone 50k just because.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote