The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 25 May 2021, 02:27 AM   #1
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Thoughts and Reviews on the new CE CODE Chrono

Like many of the other collectors on TRF, I hated this line when it was first released -- however, I became intrigued with this model when I saw the Monochrome announcement.

Bottom line up front: I ended up taking the plunge (value be darned!) and here are my thoughts after a few weeks.

I always thought the case had the potential to be iconic, but the dial was always horrible. While I don't think the brushed texture of the dial will be iconic, I do find it to be dynamic enough to draw an emotional response when I wear the watch, and hold enough DNA with the Royal Oak that I consider the watch close enough in design language to be an AP branded product to buy. I felt the previous iterations, any watch maker could have actually made and had no connection to the brand from a design point of view.

The CE mid part of the case gives the illusion of a thin watch, but this watch wears FAT. Visually looks smaller than a 44 Panerai, but that's kind of what it feels like under a shirt cuff. The biggest downside personally are how long the lugs are which hit my wrist bone and make the watcha bit uncomfortable.

I first thought this watch was a real bargain versus a Patek Chrono. but upon a closer, extended time with the movement, it finally dawned on me it doesn't have the same gold finishing. Duh. Just overlooked for some reason. For context, I once considered a Patek 5070G my grail watch, but side by side now in contemporary times, I find myself surprised to say I would take the Code over the 5070G. Blasphemy I know. Flame suit on.

Is it worth the price tag? Probably not. Beyond the fact that there's no secondary market for the watch (note I said NO secondary market, not a bad secondary market, but NO secondary market), a heads up between this and the new ROC on strap at the same price point, and I think WIS and non-WIS pick ROC 10/10 times. However, after you've scratched the itch on a gold RO, I think this is a true luxury purchase to continue to diversify the collection.

I DO, think this watch will be 'rare' and hard to come across in the wild. My guess is that the ceramic material will be used in limited quantities, much like how many CE RO there are vs steel and gold RO. I also do enjoy being able to see the use of ceramic up close instead of just looking at photos of other elusive unicorn ceramic watches. Event a visit through 47th street, I couldn't find a single example to hold in my hand to see in person.

Photos to follow when I get time to upload because yes I know, this thread is useless without photos.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 03:31 AM   #2
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Nice write-up! Did you say whether you got WG or RG? I agree, if one has a couple of SS/RG RO/ROC already this is a great way to stay with AP, but break up the octagonal monotony a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Beyond the fact that there's no secondary market for the watch (note I said NO secondary market, not a bad secondary market, but NO secondary market)...
@Dauster will buy it from you for $25k
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 03:48 AM   #3
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Congratulations on your new watch! A little harsh saying there’s no secondary market though but true that you will take a significant hit when you sell it. I don’t think the chronograph was too bad (the initial blue dial, blue strap was the best) but the 3 hander (especially the one in RG) was seriously bad in terms of the dial. And secondly the price was ABSURD, especially for a new line that was kinda a replacement for the Jules Audemars line that never really took off itself.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 07:31 AM   #4
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Nice write-up! Did you say whether you got WG or RG? I agree, if one has a couple of SS/RG RO/ROC already this is a great way to stay with AP, but break up the octagonal monotony a bit.

@Dauster will buy it from you for $25k
lol
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 10:37 AM   #5
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

@VogelPhoenix, went with the RG.

@HMHM, I meant it sincerely as a descriptive statement of fact. And also highlighting despite that fact, I still decided to take the plunge because of what it brought to the collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (88.2 KB, 652 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (94.7 KB, 656 views)
Old 25 May 2021, 11:38 AM   #6
kimwizzzuuu
"TRF" Member

Congrats, Similar thought as I’ll get a lot more Royal oak down the line, but I could get the ceramic code to diversify my current AP collection.
kimwizzzuuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 11:43 AM   #7
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimwizzzuuu View Post
Congrats, Similar thought as I’ll get a lot more Royal oak down the line, but I could get the ceramic code to diversify my current AP collection.
I blame 90% of my decision on you. Lol.
Old 25 May 2021, 11:57 AM   #8
kimwizzzuuu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I blame 90% of my decision on you. Lol.

This boutique is probably sold out on those ceramic code in both materials for the year as far as I know
Old 25 May 2021, 04:28 PM   #9
grievor
"TRF" Member

Congrats! Nothing says commitment to the AP brand more than a Code 11:59 purchase
grievor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 09:41 PM   #10
Mainewatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Patek
Quote:
Like many of the other collectors on TRF, I hated this line when it was first released -- however, I became intrigued with this model when I saw the Monochrome announcement.

Bottom line up front: I ended up taking the plunge (value be darned!) and here are my thoughts after a few weeks.

I always thought the case had the potential to be iconic, but the dial was always horrible. While I don't think the brushed texture of the dial will be iconic, I do find it to be dynamic enough to draw an emotional response when I wear the watch, and hold enough DNA with the Royal Oak that I consider the watch close enough in design language to be an AP branded product to buy. I felt the previous iterations, any watch maker could have actually made and had no connection to the brand from a design point of view.

The CE mid part of the case gives the illusion of a thin watch, but this watch wears FAT. Visually looks smaller than a 44 Panerai, but that's kind of what it feels like under a shirt cuff. The biggest downside personally are how long the lugs are which hit my wrist bone and make the watcha bit uncomfortable.

I first thought this watch was a real bargain versus a Patek Chrono. but upon a closer, extended time with the movement, it finally dawned on me it doesn't have the same gold finishing. Duh. Just overlooked for some reason. For context, I once considered a Patek 5070G my grail watch, but side by side now in contemporary times, I find myself surprised to say I would take the Code over the 5070G. Blasphemy I know. Flame suit on.

Is it worth the price tag? Probably not. Beyond the fact that there's no secondary market for the watch (note I said NO secondary market, not a bad secondary market, but NO secondary market), a heads up between this and the new ROC on strap at the same price point, and I think WIS and non-WIS pick ROC 10/10 times. However, after you've scratched the itch on a gold RO, I think this is a true luxury purchase to continue to diversify the collection.

I DO, think this watch will be 'rare' and hard to come across in the wild. My guess is that the ceramic material will be used in limited quantities, much like how many CE RO there are vs steel and gold RO. I also do enjoy being able to see the use of ceramic up close instead of just looking at photos of other elusive unicorn ceramic watches. Event a visit through 47th street, I couldn't find a single example to hold in my hand to see in person.

Photos to follow when I get time to upload because yes I know, this thread is useless without photos.
Thanks for the review, very helpful! I love the looks of this piece and the Code in general. I have been thinking about getting one but your line that it fits like a Panerai now has me thinking twice about it. What is retail on the RG?
Mainewatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 11:26 PM   #11
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grievor View Post
Congrats! Nothing says commitment to the AP brand more than a Code 11:59 purchase
There is so much truth in this statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutch View Post
Thanks for the review, very helpful! I love the looks of this piece and the Code in general. I have been thinking about getting one but your line that it fits like a Panerai now has me thinking twice about it. What is retail on the RG?
I think around 45-46k USD.

Just to be on the safe side, I looked it up since I haven't worn a Panerai in ages. This watch is 12.6 on the thickness while base Panerai is 15. So Panerai is still very clearly larger. Please take my observation more as that's how I personally felt trying to slide the watch under a shirt cuff. It does get caught half the time sliding under unlike a RO or Daytona.

Ultimately, I am just very surprised by how much I have enjoyed the watch several weeks in.
Old 26 May 2021, 09:48 AM   #12
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Congrats!!

That ceramic pieces makes much better use of the complicated case design, especially with the skeletonized lugs, than using the same metal material all the way around
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 12:59 AM   #13
FSK7
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
Congrats and nice write up! I wanted to ask what material the strap was. On the website they say rubber but it looks like it’s rubber from the inside and a canvas material on the out ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FSK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 01:03 AM   #14
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSK7 View Post
Congrats and nice write up! I wanted to ask what material the strap was. On the website they say rubber but it looks like it’s rubber from the inside and a canvas material on the out ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe it's texturized rubber outside, with a calf leather backing inside.

I know some non-watch people and some watch people (but non AP people) like the style of the strap. Personally I don't like it and am in the hunt for a different strap but haven't settled on one I like. I've been thinking about a cordura style like the Omega Snoopy 2 or a different kind of rubber. I really would have perfered the weaving to be much tighter on the rubber pattern. Kind of looks like frayed nylon from far away.
Old 27 May 2021, 01:47 AM   #15
kimwizzzuuu
"TRF" Member

On rubber strap would be fun.
Old 27 May 2021, 01:50 AM   #16
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

One on the right would be so HAWT. Lol.

Who makes the one on the left?

Any other suggestions that you've liked on yours? Also, I think herein is where the WG shines vs the RG since I find the RG/Black more restrictive on straps that will match properly.
Old 27 May 2021, 05:43 AM   #17
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimwizzzuuu View Post
On rubber strap would be fun.
You may or may not be looking for fashion advice on TRF, but the sparkly pink strap on the Millenary works much better than the yellow one on the CODE. There's nothing (color, material, shape etc) connecting that strap to the WG CODE.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 11:29 PM   #18
Mainewatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Patek
The looks of the strap from photos looks awesome, I would keep that. That rubber and color shown above would be a hard pass for me!

Show us some more pics of the CODE CE!
Mainewatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 12:36 AM   #19
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

One updated expierence here now a few weeks in. My wrist ran into the side of a door yesterday. Usually an 'ouch' inducing moment ready to assess how bad the RO took it the the proverbial chin (case or bezel). But actually didn't' see anything at all on the Code.

It dawns on me that there is just very little surface area to ding. The lugs sure, but they are very thin unlike an entire RO case on the side. More useful of an observatoin for non-code owners, the bezel actually goes all the way to the end meaning that gold case around the bezel largely rests under the bezel and only peeks out a little bit, so surprisingly (versus say a Patek calatrava) this is a very worry free watch to wear.