The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 14 June 2021, 01:34 AM   #1
BoilerRxZ06
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Premier B01 Chronograph

I'll admit up front that I have blatantly ignored Breitling since about 2008. Paid no mind to the case at my AD, gave no consideration to the brand as a contender for my dollars. Not because the watches were trash or made in an inferior way. I wanted to like Breitling. Multiple times I tried on the Montbrillant Datora and the Emergency Mission, even the Navitimer. But they were always simply too big, too flashy, and too busy, for my tastes and size. So, like most situations, it was simply a matter of taste and preference.

Fast forward to the beginning of April. Being in the market for a new chronograph, and having just seen the new Tudor Black Bay Chronos, I immediately placed an order with my AD for the reverse panda. During a watch event in late April, I was even able to try them on, both the panda and reverse panda. It seemed to solidify my decision on the watch. Though I preferred the look of the panda, I had recently purchased a white dial Omega SMP, so I wanted to stick with the reverse panda for this chrono.

A few days ago, I took a friend of mine into my AD to meet my SA. As they were chatting and introducing themselves, coincidentally at the Breitling display counter, I looked down and saw these gorgeous premier watches. I had to do a double take to confirm they were in fact Breitlings. There was a panda dial, a blue sunburst dial, and a green dial in the case. I was immediately drawn to the panda dial and had my SA pull it out of the case for me to try on.

Sleek, elegant, dressy but not overly so, this watch is pure beauty in my eyes. The white stitching on the black leather strap, the beautiful touches on the sides of the case, the combination of polished and brushed steel on the case, I can't quit obsessing over its beauty. And at 42mm it doesn't wear at all big on my 6.75" flat wrist.

The only negative is the price. Though the AD offered me a significant discount, it's still quite a bit more than the Tudor will be. As a WIS, I'm not at all concerned about retaining value, so it's rather a moot point. And there's no denying, at least in my mind, that the Breitling is a much nicer watch, despite being the same movement.

I guess I'm pretty much sold on the Premier B01 Panda, and I'm just looking for confirmation/validation from those of you who own one. Again, the money is not really part of the equation, despite being a significant difference. I simply want the better watch and the one that speaks to me the most, which is clearly the Breitling.

So let's hear some thoughts, opinions, and reviews on the Premier B01 from those of you who own one. Pics are a bonus! Thanks in advance.
BoilerRxZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 02:09 AM   #2
sambb
"TRF" Member

i like the green one, but yeah its nice.
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 02:17 AM   #3
BoilerRxZ06
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
i like the green one, but yeah its nice.
The green was quite stunning. Just not versatile enough for my purposes. Only other issue I had with it is the "Bently" on the case back obstructing the view of the movement. And the "Bently" plate on the side of the case Wish they'd just leave it alone, but I get it's a special edition.
Old 14 June 2021, 03:47 AM   #4
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

I don’t own one, but I’ve tried them on several times. I agree with you, it’s a beautiful watch. Personally I’d buy the Premier over the Tudor any day, but that’s just down to personal taste. The Breitling does feel and look like the more premium watch, though.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 05:22 AM   #5
Reelandy
"TRF" Member

I got mine last fall and can’t say anything bad about it. Originally was looking at the Bentley green but once I tired the brown on, it spoke to me more. I’ve got a back alligator strap for it as well making it much more versatile than the green imo. You are still able to see the movement given this is the Bentley edition, no complaints here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reelandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 05:31 AM   #6
BoilerRxZ06
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
I don’t own one, but I’ve tried them on several times. I agree with you, it’s a beautiful watch. Personally I’d buy the Premier over the Tudor any day, but that’s just down to personal taste. The Breitling does feel and look like the more premium watch, though.
I agree 100%. The Breitling just has a very luxury look/feel to it. The fine little details and refinements make it such a classy watch.
Old 14 June 2021, 05:34 AM   #7
BoilerRxZ06
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelandy View Post
I got mine last fall and can’t say anything bad about it. Originally was looking at the Bentley green but once I tired the brown on, it spoke to me more. I’ve got a back alligator strap for it as well making it much more versatile than the green imo. You are still able to see the movement given this is the Bentley edition, no complaints here.

Thanks for the reply....and the stunning photos! I'm sure the pics don't do this one justice. And you're right, the Bentley stamp isn't as obstructive as I recall. Still think it's a little cleaner without. The dial on the brown is just "WOW." I imagine I'll be picking up the panda soon.
Old 14 June 2021, 06:37 AM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
It's a stunning piece, hard to find a better dressy chrono in that price bracket.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 12:07 PM   #9
Reelandy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
It's a stunning piece, hard to find a better dressy chrono in that price bracket.

Thanks - it’s got sentimental value as well. My first luxury watch and the start of my collection.

Reelandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 08:04 PM   #10
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Thanks - it’s got sentimental value as well. My first luxury watch and the start of my collection.

A Breitling was my first proper luxury watch as well... so be careful where it leads... (see my crazy post count)
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 09:44 PM   #11
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have owned several and have always liked them. I put one on a bracelet and found it to be very fun. I sold one to a friend who was on me for a while to buy it. I regretted it and bout it back from my AD. I own a new Tudor Chronograph and it is a fine watch but completely different than the Breitling. If you can make it work get the Breitling and continue to wait on the Tudor. There might be enough time between the delivery of the two that you can make it work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191013_104830 (002).jpg (256.6 KB, 539 views)
File Type: jpg 20191013_104848 (002).jpg (177.4 KB, 537 views)
File Type: jpg 20210409_175117 (002).jpg (193.0 KB, 536 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2021, 02:02 AM   #12
BoilerRxZ06
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I have owned several and have always liked them. I put one on a bracelet and found it to be very fun. I sold one to a friend who was on me for a while to buy it. I regretted it and bout it back from my AD. I own a new Tudor Chronograph and it is a fine watch but completely different than the Breitling. If you can make it work get the Breitling and continue to wait on the Tudor. There might be enough time between the delivery of the two that you can make it work.

Thanks for the pics and the great assessment. Nice to hear from someone who owns both. I think there will be ample time to have funds for both if I purchase the Breitling now, as it will likely be Nov/Dec before I'm even given the opportunity to purchase the Tudor. I just don't think I'll want both to be honest. Really just want one nice chrono and have my eyes on a blue dial JLC Polaris. But I'm heavily leaning towards the Breitling at this point. This months begins month number 4 of waiting for a rhodium dial YM40 that I ordered from my AD as well. I was told 3-6 months, so it should be here relatively soon. I think the Breitling and the YM would be a perfect two-watch year for me.
Old 15 June 2021, 05:30 PM   #13
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
A Breitling was my first proper luxury watch as well... so be careful where it leads... (see my crazy post count)
Me too! I’ll always have a special place in my heart for Breitling, it was my first mechanical watch.
Old 17 June 2021, 09:38 AM   #14
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I haven't seen the new Black Bay Chronos in person but I have seen the previous one with the steel bezel as well as the Breitling Premier B01 in person and the Breitling Premier is definitely the nicer watch, as is reflected by the list price. That written, the street price of the two should be about the same, as the Black Bays are selling for MSRP while you should get a substantial discount on the Premier B01.

The Black Bay is more of a sport chronograph while the Breitling is more of an everyday chronograph and I think there's room in a collection for both, especially if you go for different dial colors. Whichever one you go for, I don't think you'll go wrong, but I think the Breitling is more versatile and a higher quality watch. Definitely get whichever one you choose on a bracelet, even if you want to put it on a strap.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 03:33 PM   #15
Becweb
Banned

IMO Tudor was and is the poor man's Rolex - Breitling for the win
Becweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2021, 02:28 AM   #16
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becweb View Post
IMO Tudor was and is the poor man's Rolex - Breitling for the win
My husband has a WG Sub, an exp 2, RG Datora and some other watches. The watch he wears daily is a Tudor BB blue. So I find your comment to be odd.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 11:59 PM   #17
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
Great thread! I’m in a similar position, OP. I’m theoretically on the list for a Tudor Panda but who knows when it’ll show up. Plus, I’m not 100% convinced I’ll like it on my wrist because of the chunkiness.

I tried on the green Premier and really like it. The salmon Datograph was also outstanding. But the AD didn’t have a B01 to try on. The dimensions seems pretty decent and the comparison photos above show the aesthetic differences between the Breitling and Tudor.

The Tudor looks to me to have much more of a tool watch vibe than the Breitling. Both look great in those photos.

How does the wearability compare between the two?

I’m also considering a Bucherer Heritage Annual, which looks great.
Slimpee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2021, 11:40 AM   #18
Duckman25
"TRF" Member

Breitling has a certain amount of class. The aviator heritage really draws me in and it always looks so stunning when one sees it in a Bentley. I am eyeing a navtimer.
Duckman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2021, 04:07 AM   #19
Golfpaul66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600
I’ve wanted one for a few years now and finally bought one last week. I’m having a hard time taking it off with the exception of taking a picture of the new Weil Freelancer I bought the other day (I needed a beater).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Golfpaul66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2021, 08:16 AM   #20
edyu

I REALLY like the new Breitling. I especially like the new bracelets even though the new pistachio chronograph doesn't come with it, it is nice in person. I like it except that it's manual wound and I have too many manual wound watches already.
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2021, 03:03 AM   #21
BoilerRxZ06
"TRF" Member

Sorry to leave you all hanging! I actually went back and picked up the Breitling and have been wearing it like crazy. I am in love with this watch! I'll told my SA to still reach out to me when my number is called for the Tudor reverse panda. If I have the funds available, I'll likely buy it as well. But this Breitling is so nice. Here's some pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4711.JPG (138.9 KB, 317 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4713.JPG (105.3 KB, 307 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4714.JPG (117.6 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4715.JPG (135.5 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg XBDE0472.JPG (157.7 KB, 308 views)
Old 1 July 2021, 03:19 AM   #22
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerRxZ06 View Post
Sorry to leave you all hanging! I actually went back and picked up the Breitling and have been wearing it like crazy. I am in love with this watch! I'll told my SA to still reach out to me when my number is called for the Tudor reverse panda. If I have the funds available, I'll likely buy it as well. But this Breitling is so nice. Here's some pics:
Congratulations! That is one beautiful watch. I have been looking at the Premier for quite some now and have owned the Tudor Panda Chronograph. IMO, there is no comparison. The Breitling is a winner hands down.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2021, 05:07 AM   #23
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

In my opinion, Breitling is doing everything right at the moment. I owned a Navitimer back in 2009 and flipped it when I became disillusioned with the direction the brand was headed. Since Kern has taken over, Breitling has done a great job of bringing back heritage inspired design and merging it with modern watchmaking. The Premier and Chronomat lines are the most obvious examples. I bought a silver dial 42mm Chronomat B01 a few months back and couldn't be happier. I am now eyeing their new Premier Calendar Chronograph Datora with the copper dial in stainless steel. Personally, at the discount I expect to get from my AD, I think this watch is a steal at that price point. The only thing close in terms of complication and value is JLC's Master Calendar Chronograph.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2021, 05:17 PM   #24
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Congratulations. The Breitling Premier panda and the Tudor Black Bay reverse panda would make a great duo.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2021, 05:18 PM   #25
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Huge congrats, such an absolutely stunning watch!
Old 3 July 2021, 10:39 PM   #26
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2021, 06:38 AM   #27
Fort Rolex
"TRF" Member

I tried several of the Premiere Chrono color combos on today and the watch really is fantastic, hard to decide which I’d pick but leaning toward the Green (even with the Bentley side plate)
Fort Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote