The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 3 May 2021, 07:57 AM   #2521
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutchki View Post
That’s a beauty.

What kind of discount should one expect on a standard Lange second hand? Standard model. Not the hot ones.
Which are the standard models for you?

They can offer decent discounts on Lange AD, so why buy second hand?
Old 3 May 2021, 08:27 AM   #2522
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario1971 View Post

Really? Discounts are getting to be a thing if the past now they are moving to a Boutique sales model.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 09:01 AM   #2523
ansharma
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Moonphase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ansharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 10:13 AM   #2524
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Not many pics of these watches directly in the sunlight but the depth of the dial is truly amazing!

Old 3 May 2021, 12:04 PM   #2525
lutchki
Banned

Quote:

Lange 1 and the like. With moonphase and without.
lutchki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 12:22 PM   #2526
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

I think discounts will go. ADs may still offer discounts but unless you buy from a Boutique, the purchase won't count towards a Datograph, Zeitwerk or Odysseus request. Heard of a big watch owner being declined by ALS Germany for a salmon dial Lange 1 PC because most of the watches were from non-boutique sources.
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 03:54 PM   #2527
Toproll85
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Filmed and set - time to admire.
I am showing too much chauvinism towards Switzerland, but it must be recognized, with a certain watchmaking maturity, this is perfection (if it exists).

I think one day I will come there...

As an anecdote, a watchmaker told me that it is so well designed, meticulously, that any micro-part touched, disassembled, unscrewed, must be replaced like new, because it would be seen afterwards. This is the case on almost no other watch where the movement can be disassembled / reassembled as it is.

Grönefeld 1941 RCF ¦ H. Moser Heritage Dual Time ¦ JLC Q1308470 ¦ L&S 1815 Up/Down ¦ L&S Zeitwerk Date ¦ UN Freak X carbonium
Toproll85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 01:01 PM   #2528
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexSimon View Post
I think discounts will go. ADs may still offer discounts but unless you buy from a Boutique, the purchase won't count towards a Datograph, Zeitwerk or Odysseus request. Heard of a big watch owner being declined by ALS Germany for a salmon dial Lange 1 PC because most of the watches were from non-boutique sources.
Nobody needs a purchase history to buy a Datograph, a Zeitwerk, or a white gold Datomatic (Odysseus). Only the steel Datomatic and the limited edition Lange models (such as the salmon dial Lange 1 PC) require a purchase history from the selling boutique. Anyone can walk in off the street and order/purchase all the others. This is according to Lange corporate and was still true as of last week.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 05:14 PM   #2529
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post
Nobody needs a purchase history to buy a Datograph, a Zeitwerk, or a white gold Datomatic (Odysseus). Only the steel Datomatic and the limited edition Lange models (such as the salmon dial Lange 1 PC) require a purchase history from the selling boutique. Anyone can walk in off the street and order/purchase all the others. This is according to Lange corporate and was still true as of last week.
+1
Old 11 May 2021, 01:08 AM   #2530
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
I am thinking of entering Lange.
What you guys think of Zeitwerk 140.029? In terms of availabity, pricing, value, etc.
Old 11 May 2021, 01:39 AM   #2531
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
I am thinking of entering Lange.
What you guys think of Zeitwerk 140.029? In terms of availabity, pricing, value, etc.
This model is discontinued from Lange, but I believe there may be a few still available via an AD/Boutique.

There are quite a few on the secondary market so availability isn't an issue at all, but prices have certainly firmed up. A year ago you could have gotten a nice pre-owned example in the low/mid $50s. Now, you're likely to see them well into the $60s if you want a newer example or a complete set.

Note, there was a slight change in the movement in mid-2017 that "fixed" the "minute triggers" as I called them. On those older movements, the minute number "triggers" a few seconds before the actual change. Some people like this and others don't. Lange said it was not a fault of the movement, but they must have decided to improve upon it. It's up to you to determine if this is an issue or not.

In terms of value at today's prices, I really don't think you're going to make money but I don't think you'll lose money either as Lange seems to be taking actions to firm up secondary values. I think it will depend on what Lange does to replace this "entry level" Zeitwerk. If the new one is larger than 42mm, I think you could get some price appreciation on the 140.029. If the new one is the same size and deemed to be better (i.e., they introduce a date wheel or something like that), I could see the 140.029 taking a hit on secondary values. But then again, what the hell does anybody know. Jumbos are $100k, SS Daytonas are $40k, so clearly the world has gone mad

One other note...This watch costs a FORTUNE to service at Lange. I believe it's almost $4,000 if I remember. I think it's almost certain this watch requires a service to keep it humming along so if it is pre-2016 or so I'd ask about service history and make my offers accordingly.

It is an amazing watch and remains on my wish list for sure. There is nothing else quite like it and would be a huge addition to any collection in my humble opinion. Good luck finding one that works for you!
Old 11 May 2021, 02:19 AM   #2532
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
This model is discontinued from Lange, but I believe there may be a few still available via an AD/Boutique.
I understand the stories of it being discontinued were incorrect, it is still a current model.
Old 11 May 2021, 02:56 AM   #2533
Gibraltar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
I understand the stories of it being discontinued were incorrect, it is still a current model.
I was told it was discontinued directly by the staff at the boutique in Hong Kong. Could incorrect information have been distributed to the boutiques?
Gibraltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 03:12 AM   #2534
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:

There are quite a few on the secondary market so availability isn't an issue at all, but prices have certainly firmed up. A year ago you could have gotten a nice pre-owned example in the low/mid $50s. Now, you're likely to see them well into the $60s if you want a newer example or a complete set.

Note, there was a slight change in the movement in mid-2017 that "fixed" the "minute triggers" as I called them. On those older movements, the minute number "triggers" a few seconds before the actual change. Some people like this and others don't. Lange said it was not a fault of the movement, but they must have decided to improve upon it. It's up to you to determine if this is an issue or not.

In terms of value at today's prices, I really don't think you're going to make money but I don't think you'll lose money either as Lange seems to be taking actions to firm up secondary values. I think it will depend on what Lange does to replace this "entry level" Zeitwerk. If the new one is larger than 42mm, I think you could get some price appreciation on the 140.029. If the new one is the same size and deemed to be better (i.e., they introduce a date wheel or something like that), I could see the 140.029 taking a hit on secondary values. But then again, what the hell does anybody know. Jumbos are $100k, SS Daytonas are $40k, so clearly the world has gone mad

One other note...This watch costs a FORTUNE to service at Lange. I believe it's almost $4,000 if I remember. I think it's almost certain this watch requires a service to keep it humming along so if it is pre-2016 or so I'd ask about service history and make my offers accordingly.

It is an amazing watch and remains on my wish list for sure. There is nothing else quite like it and would be a huge addition to any collection in my humble opinion. Good luck finding one that works for you!

This post is excellent. I made a bit selling my Zeitwerk after buying it brand new in April or May of 2020 just FWIW. I'm guessing prices will keep going up. A Zeitwerk is still WAY more watch for the money than what you can get from other brands at the price point.
WatchEater666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 03:57 AM   #2535
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Old 11 May 2021, 04:35 AM   #2536
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibraltar View Post
I was told it was discontinued directly by the staff at the boutique in Hong Kong. Could incorrect information have been distributed to the boutiques?
Yes, the HK boutique was I believe the source of the incorrect info. According to Lange factory it is still a current piece.
Old 11 May 2021, 06:43 AM   #2537
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Thanks for info. Appreciate it much, fellow Chicagoan :)
Old 11 May 2021, 07:03 AM   #2538
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Thanks for info. Appreciate it much, fellow Chicagoan :)
You're welcome!!

One thing I'll add. Lange's are still languishing in terms what you can expect to get out of them if/when you sell. Sure, we currently see better prices, but dealers will throw every excuse at you that they don't move, it's a tough brand, etc, etc. When I say "I don't think you'll make money", that's why.

As an example, if you paid $65k for a Lange and over the next year you see it at a solid $75k in the secondary market, you'll never get anything close to that $75k unless you can move it privately. You'd be hard pressed to get your money back. Dealers still are not paying premiums for Langes unless it is truly a special reference. If you want any evidence of that, call Watchbox or European. They'll lowball the living hell out of you if you want cash. Trading in or trading up may yield different results...
Old 11 May 2021, 08:12 AM   #2539
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
Very nice!
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 01:24 PM   #2540
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
Very nice!

Many thanks!
Old 11 May 2021, 01:26 PM   #2541
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You're welcome!!

One thing I'll add. Lange's are still languishing in terms what you can expect to get out of them if/when you sell. Sure, we currently see better prices, but dealers will throw every excuse at you that they don't move, it's a tough brand, etc, etc. When I say "I don't think you'll make money", that's why.

As an example, if you paid $65k for a Lange and over the next year you see it at a solid $75k in the secondary market, you'll never get anything close to that $75k unless you can move it privately. You'd be hard pressed to get your money back. Dealers still are not paying premiums for Langes unless it is truly a special reference. If you want any evidence of that, call Watchbox or European. They'll lowball the living hell out of you if you want cash. Trading in or trading up may yield different results...
Interesting. Good to know.
Thanks!!
Old 11 May 2021, 07:34 PM   #2542
drgoro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post

That’s pure class right there.

drgoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 09:04 AM   #2543
Oryx
"TRF" Member

Guys - I am a new joiner to this thread - a day late and a dollar short!

I have been looking to add a Lange 1 (ideally Moonphase) to my collection for some time now and was very surprised to see how prices have recently popped in the secondary market.

As others have mentioned it appears that there is some major supply glut somewhere which may obviously be by design.

Has anyone had any experience with ALS servicing - is the lead time similar to Patek (3-6 mths). Has anyone had a case polish / refurb. If so are they able to do a good job without impacting the original contours of the case?

Thanks in advance
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 09:49 AM   #2544
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx View Post

I have been looking to add a Lange 1 (ideally Moonphase) to my collection for some time now and was very surprised to see how prices have recently popped in the secondary market.

As others have mentioned it appears that there is some major supply glut somewhere which may obviously be by design.

Has anyone had any experience with ALS servicing - is the lead time similar to Patek (3-6 mths). Has anyone had a case polish / refurb. If so are they able to do a good job without impacting the original contours of the case?

Thanks in advance
Better late than never.

I’m only seeing prices strengthening on the secondary in recent months, so the opposite of your suggestion.

Lange does laser weld to repair cases and I have heard great reports over the quality but no personal experience.
Old 12 May 2021, 02:27 PM   #2545
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryx View Post
Has anyone had any experience with als servicing - is the lead time similar to patek (3-6 mths). Has anyone had a case polish / refurb. If so are they able to do a good job without impacting the original contours of the case?
Service time is probably closer to 3 months than 6 months. Case refurbishment is top-notch: The watch will look factory-fresh after laser-welding any places that need metal added and then restoring the polished and brushed finishes. One thing they can't really do is restore overpolished lugs that have lost their distinctive chamfering.
Old 12 May 2021, 07:10 PM   #2546
ansharma
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Moonphase
Quote:

Thanks in advance

Hi mate,

As others have said ALS will be able to a good job without losing precious metal. This may however be costly so I would ask them about that.

L1 moonphase is a great choice, I am biased as you know!

ansharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 10:45 PM   #2547
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansharma View Post
As others have said ALS will be able to a good job without losing precious metal. This may however be costly so I would ask them about that.
Nice watch!

Lange publishes their service prices (in Euro) both with and without case refurbishment here.
Old 13 May 2021, 01:56 AM   #2548
justcruisin
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks in advance
Get the moonphase!! Though...sometimes I'm happier when the moon disappears and I have a full view of the day/night disc. Since most days of work end before I get a full starry night, I appreciate the weekends out when I'm wearing it to dinner :).

IMG_3055.jpg
justcruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 09:11 AM   #2549
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You got some great other replies to this.

The 140.029 is widely available both preowned and new. There are a lot of them out there. Given their wide availability and the significant price difference between new and preowned, I'd never buy a new one. I'd buy only preowned. The miniscule jump/"preloading" that happens a few seconds before the minute changes never bothered me. Also, I prefer a deployant buckle with a Zeitwerk. Good luck!
Old 13 May 2021, 01:15 PM   #2550
Toffeeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5164A

I still think 1815 chrono has the best bang for the buck.

Toffeeman is offline   Reply With Quote