The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 10 December 2020, 04:42 AM   #61
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

a lot of us in this sub forum got into Panerai during its hayday...and nice to see some old familiar faces on this post...
I have reduced my Panerai collection and I agree with the above and have the following:

1) stop trying to be a watch for everyone..they are honestly trying too hard
2) new material is fine but the price points are just out of line with the market
3). embrace their history
4). go back to exclusivity...tho the days of early 2000s are never coming back...

Panerai is still moving and its in the usually sub $10K market...they sell plenty to younger folks (I am old fart now)
Old 10 December 2020, 06:49 AM   #62
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
If you wanted to make Panerai a "hype" brand again, then this I what I think should be done.

1) Stop or drastically limit production..that's right...go as far as stopping production. This is what Ray-Ban did for one year when Luxottica acquired them to clean things up.
They would have to make the market miss them. Create a longing. A void to be filled.

2) Cut Doors. Too many customerless boutiques and dealer displays with dusty Panerai's in them. Every single time I go to a Panerai boutique, I am the only customer. I have personally seen DUST on Panerai's in a major AD display. The watches have sat untouched for so long they have DUST on them. Awful... AP, ROLEX, PATEK do this religiously and seem to be accelerating their culling of dealers as their demand INCREASES. The usual thought is "we are popular, let's give them MORE"....well that doesn't work with luxury goods.

3) Reset the product line. There are too many models and too many built of each model. Most of the new smaller models reek of "me too" appeasement. Panerai was never about appeasing the masses. It was about individualism and expression of that individualism.

4) Pricing. High Retail combined with low value retention is NOT what the luxury market craves. I fully understand how angry that makes the WIS community, but it's VERY important to the general public buyer (and I have seen so on TRF via poll numbers).
Call a dealer about selling or trading a Pam. It's usually a HARD PASS, except for the most desirable models. Those are bad vital signs for the health of the brand, whether the WIS likes it or not. Panerai needs to get the pricing in line. It's too high.

5) Re release the pared down offerings with better pricing and less doors. The market will go crazy and hype will be back again! That's if you want that..
Strongly agree. I authored a post below without reading yours first. I agree with most of what you are saying and elaborated a little on some of your points. I think the most important thing Panerai could do among their "regular" production or entry level or whatever you want to call it core line is to simplify. There's just too much out there right now.

The Luminor line should be mostly 44mm models consistent with the pre-V offerings/cases. Base models, black dials, rare option for DLC case or white dial. Radiomirs should run 45-47mm and follow a similar pattern. Rare options for California/SLC dial. The Luminor 1950 and Radiomir 1940 models will be your larger cases. Clearly historically inspired like the 372. Offer 44mm "modern" Luminor 1950 automatic models like we have now with maybe 5-6 configurations and complications present (GMT, power reserve, etc). Then Panerai can build and experiment off of that with novel materials, limited production, etc. I think the Submersible line is probably fine as it is, but it would be nice to get more wearable 44mm models like the 024/025 back. Once again, pair down the number of offerings to 5-6.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2020, 11:04 PM   #63
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocwatching View Post
1) stop trying to be a watch for everyone..they are honestly trying too hard
Agreed, too many models / SKUs.

Quote:
2) new material is fine but the price points are just out of line with the market
Not really, as currencies have been devalued ~6% annually for the past eight or so years. Perhaps ~8% each year for the past two years alone, and it'll get worse as central banks are scrambling to save their monetary system and banking partners.

If Panerai wants to go couture, offer a customization service where you can choose the movement, case, dial, etc.

Personally, am enjoying where Panerai is now and love / respect their history too. Customer service is excellent and their products are very reliable. Yes i get the whole 'bring back vintage', yet a company also needs to move forward too.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2020, 11:48 PM   #64
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
Panerai is working well, new models new movements P3000 P5000 P9000 it is very desired in Europe, except the Luminor 2 line (ugly) the rest is in demand

With Rolex it is my favorite
Old 10 May 2021, 05:03 PM   #65
morgman
"TRF" Member

1) Too many models. I remember when there were like 15 or 20 models in total or something in the mid 2000's. That made it a lot easier to hone in on one. Today it seems like analysis paralysis. Go back to the simpler models, with a strong, uniform lineup.

2) Reduce production, remove some boutiques and dealers.

3) Fix the Luminor Bettarini 44mm bezel dimensions. The new Luminor cases look the same at first glance, but the bezels are actually thinner than the older models.

4) Stop with the bright blue hands on everything. I would love a 389, but not the new one with the blue text and second hand. Color can be polarizing. If you're going to go for color, make some neat dial colors and offer the same watch in a few colors.
Old 11 May 2021, 05:45 AM   #66
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
I came to Panerai late in the game and for me I love them. Perfect example I am on vacation and I have seen a ton of rolexes but guess what I am the only Panerai. Wrist presence is amazing and strap change is a plus.
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 07:35 AM   #67
mg18
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
I think they're producing way too many different watches and trying to cater to everyone's tastes while producing a fairly love or hate/niche watch, it just doesn't make sense to me. Almost every model comes in every colour now. There needs to be a bit more differentiation and fewer pieces. Similar to tje Rolex strategy (took away yellow gold from 2 tone and full PM GMT and replaced with rose gold, different bezel colours between certain models, etc.).

I do think it's a good thing, from a certain perspective, to produce something for everyone, but I feel that luxury brands, especially ones trying to rely on a solid history and enthusiastic collectors, lose their way with this type of strategy.

I also hate the new e steel line - tacky...
mg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 12:34 PM   #68
lowmandfl
"TRF" Member

I love Panerai, have owned a 1305 and a 1024. In my opinion they should bring back 44mm dive watches. The 47mm appeals to many, but I'd say not most. I've tried to get on board with the 42mm, but I'm just not a fan. Classic Panerai dimensions are 44mm, and that's what I miss, like the classic PAM243.
lowmandfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 10:08 AM   #69
Watch Expert
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by woowoo View Post
Happy Thanksgiving to those celebrating.

Was trying to think of fun interesting discussion and this question came to mind:

What would you do to revive Panerai?

A little more context for those unfamiliar, back in the day, say ~20 years ago, Panerai was such a hot brand: I remember when there were hot new releases, waiting lists, many models almost impossible to get, would sell above retail, used models would hold their value, Panerai were one of the must have watches, there was a buzz about them, you looked cool in them, you felt cool, people noticed you had the hot new thing on your wrist. For lack of better wording, they were cool and popular.

And to a certain extent they still are kinda cool and popular. But nothing like before.

Disclaimer: you might be saying to yourself that you are happy with the current state of the brand, you don't care about any of the above, in fact you may be glad Panerai doesn't have the hype of other luxury brands like Rolex or AP and you prefer there not being hard to get new Panerai models you want to be seen in that everyone wants. Great!!! This thread is not for you.

Just posing this question to maybe generate a fun discussion about what you would do. New models? Advertising idea? Fix the old scandals better? Sizing? Pricing? What would you do to revive Panerai to its former glory?
The aim should not be to “revive the brand” but to support Panerai collectors with more variety strap options as in the past, give plenty of rooms to discuss and show their creativity in designing the straps. To be honest, Panerai is so unique because of the straps design. Concentrate on straps development and the Panerai community will grow. I don’t like brand to be focused on price and profit; as a brand yes you should make profit and pay attention that the secondary market is not speculative or stagnant (unsellable); both way will hurt buyers at retail. But the focus should be to entertain buyers and make them satisfied with what they buy. I hate to know so many brand make exclusive sport watches and force buyers to spend 2x retail price or spend like crazy amount of dollars on watches they don’t like just to be eligible to acquire the desired time piece.
Watch Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 08:07 PM   #70
ppfl
"TRF" Member

I realize that I must be the minority here, but the 47mm stuff just doesn't fit me.

I would like a PAM560 in brushed titanium, maybe in a slightly smaller 43/42mm case, with sandwich dial.

I think Panerai can appeal to both the die-hard collectors with 47mm stuff nonstop, but for the rest of us, something more wearable would be really nice, with the distinctive crown protector, sandwich dial, 8-day movements (and whatever it is Panerai).

There is no engineering/technical issue making the Due 100m of WR. I think it's only 30m due to purely marketing concerns, that they don't cannibalize the 100m stuff. But that's a wrong move to begin with, every serious Pam should be at least 300m, with the Due at 100m?

A 40mm Due with 100m of WR, no date, no sub seconds, at 11mm ish, that could be a real competition against some of the Aqua Terras or Explorers.
ppfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 10:31 PM   #71
itsjknight
"TRF" Member

I would love to see a re-release of the 1950 "Fiddy" with in-house movement, patina case finish, polished bezel, and a strap like the one on the 931.
itsjknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2021, 12:25 AM   #72
burneyr
"TRF" Member

I would love to get a no date submersible.
burneyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 03:02 PM   #73
ks58
Banned

I've come to the brand late as well and definitely love it. Have had great customer service from everyone I've worked with. And I love the watches. Some are so light I barely know they're there. They're very cool and I know I don't see many of them in the wild. Distribution has to be key to revive the brand. Most people don't live near enough to a boutique. But the ADs can't even get the latest and hottest models. The dealers that have Panerai probably are discounting. It needs to be thought about how to do away with that. Next, more marketing, more brand recognition globally and definitely in the US.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 03:35 PM   #74
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
Panerai is in a difficult situation. I don’t think there are routes to grow. They should stick to their heritage and get newbies to like the design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 10:44 PM   #75
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc8p View Post
I don’t think there are routes to grow. They should stick to their heritage and get newbies to like the design.

They could do more for movements imho. Tudor just added METAS, and that's a route Panerai could take for reliability as would higher quality movement decoration. Of course when Panerai purposefully hides movement details... so I doubt they're caring about that direction. Think they're seeking reliability first, which is a good direction yet when you remove features from a movement pricing needs to reflect this lower cost top manufacturer.

Considering Panerai's pricing direction upwards, they need to do more than just case materials experimentation imho, yet maybe that's the direction they want to try for now. To be fair, they do have 'low-priced' models for entry-level buyers.

Heritage is a good thing and agree they could promote the overall design / aesthetic more to the younger generation. Smaller case timepieces as they're doing now is a good start to help with sales in Asia.

So it's kinda a mixed bag nowadays and let's see where PAM goes in the next few years. i predict more smaller pieces to increase sales in Asia and other parts where smaller wrist size is the norm.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 08:08 PM   #76
Shazbot302
"TRF" Member

Pan is done. It had its moment, and people have moved on. There’s nothing that can be done to revive it.
Shazbot302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 07:08 AM   #77
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Own the right models and there is nothing to revive ....

127,217,232,249,671,382 etc ....
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 09:03 PM   #78
Foxiness
"TRF" Member

Panerai's are a money grab and their warranties are shit.

Panerai charging like 5k more for same watch, same movement, same case, different color dial... FU

I sent in a PAM for warranty service twice and both times came back unfixed with new scratches... FU again

unloaded all my Panerai's... never again will I purchase another Panerai
Foxiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 09:25 PM   #79
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct79 View Post
I also think, Panerai has done a lot more right than wrong. If you look at all watch brands, then only a very small hand full of them can charge msrp for their products, no matter what the sales channel is, official or grey. So this can be a bench mark to reach, a very lofty one in my opinion, or simply one of many goals to strive for.
What I miss at Panerai is, however, some sensible evolution. Rolex had lugholes, now they don't. Lugholes look cheap, destroy a case line design, they become filthy and also wear out. Blancpain for example uses lugholes in some models, but then relies on nicely built screws. This, in turn, speaks to me, even though I normally like closed lug holes.
Obviously increased water resistance or screwed down case backs instead of press fitted ones should be standard features.

Even more specifically:

My dream Panerai would be a Radiomir with:

- wirelugs
- between 42 and 45mm in width
- less than 14mm in thickness
- simple 12, 3, 6, 9 sandwich dial with plain Panerai and Radiomir writing, indices can be in white or in aged lume style
- dial color options: matte black or the current olive green
- keep inhouse automatic or manually wound movements, the latter with power reserve indicator on the back
- always use open caseback
- no "OP" symbols on the dial
- in brushed steel or even better titanium
- offer it by default with two straps, one leather, one no nonsene rubber with no ornaments

I am still hoping...
Would my 231 in rose gold suit you?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2021, 01:19 PM   #80
swink6112
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio Robot Watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by woowoo View Post
What would you do to revive Panerai?
To proudly wear my 111 no matter what anybody thinks. That enough on my part?
swink6112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2021, 07:07 AM   #81
Greglaw
Banned

Nothing. I have owned several and followed the brand for more than 20 years. The complaints never end. They don’t change enough, they change too much, they are too big, then too small, then too dressy, not enough DNA, need to get back to DNA, too much this that and the other thing. There are plenty on the presented market to get what you want if you want the DNA, there are plenty of sizes, plenty of style, you can get the new models now or soon. I am thinking of getting another, as I had several in the past, but, have struggled with several brands over my 24 years of loving watches. I have settled in with a Seiko Proxpex Sky limited edition, only 400 made, it is beyond awesome, just got it, have the SLA033, just awesome, and now I am thinking I need a Panerai. After trying several, I am looking towards a plexi 372, or a preowned titanium 47mm (not a submersible too heavy on my wrist bone even though I have 7.5 inch wrists...I had the Mike Horn pole to pole loved the look but after months it was too painful) so with the preowned market...I have much to choose from. I may even get crazy because I do like the submersible look-actually-love it-so maybe a modern one in a different material. I have never stopped loving the brand, but, some of us need the journey to realize what we have missed. There are so many beautiful models, I will find the right one.
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2021, 06:27 PM   #82
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

You should have a look at the 979 submersible in carbotech. It is very light on the wrist. You will forget you have a watch on. And very under the radar. It’s not for everyone but I sure enjoy mine.
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2021, 12:53 AM   #83
Greglaw
Banned

Oh thank you...it is gorgeous!!! Just checked it out online...love it!
Old 28 June 2021, 12:54 AM   #84
Greglaw
Banned

Btw feel free to post a couple of pics of yours!
Old 29 August 2021, 09:16 AM   #85
Cryptochonos1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky Dweller
Recreate more military dive watches and lower their price
Cryptochonos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2021, 09:18 AM   #86
Cryptochonos1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky Dweller
Agreed with most of the issues you pointed out except the materials, because they are trying to go with the model of Richard Mille etc. in which they innovate extensively to create interest.
Cryptochonos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2021, 02:43 PM   #87
Beto737
"TRF" Member

I’m a new Panarai owner and so far I couldn’t be happier. Granted, Ive been a Rolex owner most of my adult life and not a traditional owner as far as sizing is concerned.

I own a PAM1209 and the only complaint I could make, is the numbers on the bezel being too small to read. Other than that, the watch has been fantastic. A diver and under the radar, almost perfect.
Beto737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2021, 06:08 PM   #88
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
If you wanted to make Panerai a "hype" brand again, then this I what I think should be done.

1) Stop or drastically limit production..that's right...go as far as stopping production. This is what Ray-Ban did for one year when Luxottica acquired them to clean things up.
They would have to make the market miss them. Create a longing. A void to be filled.

2) Cut Doors. Too many customerless boutiques and dealer displays with dusty Panerai's in them. Every single time I go to a Panerai boutique, I am the only customer. I have personally seen DUST on Panerai's in a major AD display. The watches have sat untouched for so long they have DUST on them. Awful... AP, ROLEX, PATEK do this religiously and seem to be accelerating their culling of dealers as their demand INCREASES. The usual thought is "we are popular, let's give them MORE"....well that doesn't work with luxury goods.

3) Reset the product line. There are too many models and too many built of each model. Most of the new smaller models reek of "me too" appeasement. Panerai was never about appeasing the masses. It was about individualism and expression of that individualism.

4) Pricing. High Retail combined with low value retention is NOT what the luxury market craves. I fully understand how angry that makes the WIS community, but it's VERY important to the general public buyer (and I have seen so on TRF via poll numbers).
Call a dealer about selling or trading a Pam. It's usually a HARD PASS, except for the most desirable models. Those are bad vital signs for the health of the brand, whether the WIS likes it or not. Panerai needs to get the pricing in line. It's too high.

5) Re release the pared down offerings with better pricing and less doors. The market will go crazy and hype will be back again! That's if you want that..
100% agree. I would only add that they should focus upon their core historic sizes, offerings and manufacturing materials. All the exotic metals and composites should be ditched (until the secondary market indicates which were really wanted or inspirational) for a while. Basically, as Fleetlord has stated, drastically reduce or even stop production and limit models to just a handful. That strategy would reignite the fire. Richmont is big enough to be able to subtly do this without affecting their overall corporate bottom line too much. Hell, they could then repeat the strategy with another owned brand a few years later after the Panerai fire is successfully restarted
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote