The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 April 2021, 12:59 AM   #1
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

Everest watch roll, alternative?

Hi there,

I just received a two-watch Everst watch roll in the mail that I had ordered based on reviews and because of some upcoming travel.
They are not cheap but nicely made. Wondering though if they are $285 nice given that the little removable cushions seem awfully tight on my watches.
I have a ca. 19mm wrist, so pretty average - yet the I can see how for example the band on my Speedmaster gets visibly stretched, even after squeezing the cushion all the way. Don't have my Sea Dweller here to compare.

Anyone have any experience, found a solution? Will those cushions become softer over time? Otherwise my alternatives are sending it back or trying to find a homemade solution for a smaller/softer cushion.

Any other recommendations that are otherwise similar in size and quality but have better cushions?
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 01:08 AM   #2
JodyHighroller
Banned

Read my review which answers all your questions. The search function is your friend.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=780420
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 01:18 AM   #3
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
Read my review which answers all your questions. The search function is your friend.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=780420
Bingo. Thanks. Zip ties. Always come in handy when duct tape, superglue or WD40 aren’t working. I’ll give that a try.
Old 30 April 2021, 01:59 AM   #4
sj24k
"TRF" Member

yeah - i was originally concerned due to the same issue you mention, but have found the cushions definitely soften over time, and the zip tie trick will indeed speed up the process. also, i found that just giving them a good, tight squeeze on occasion helps soften them too. i have a three watch roll and a four watch roll, both in their heritage brown, and have come to really enjoy them.
sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 02:55 AM   #5
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenj24k View Post
yeah - i was originally concerned due to the same issue you mention, but have found the cushions definitely soften over time, and the zip tie trick will indeed speed up the process. also, i found that just giving them a good, tight squeeze on occasion helps soften them too. i have a three watch roll and a four watch roll, both in their heritage brown, and have come to really enjoy them.
Thanks.
Old 30 April 2021, 04:12 AM   #6
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Check out watch rolls from Mirage; I have 2 bought on Amazon and quality is excellent at a fraction of the price.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 04:28 AM   #7
cts
"TRF" Member

Louis Vuitton
cts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 04:51 AM   #8
JodyHighroller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cts View Post
Louis Vuitton
Highly suggest against unless you like your watches banging into each other.
Old 30 April 2021, 04:53 AM   #9
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robf52 View Post
Check out watch rolls from Mirage; I have 2 bought on Amazon and quality is excellent at a fraction of the price.
+1 Same design principle as Everest and Carapaz (sliding cushions) with excellent customer service. Synthetic materials keep the cost down. My wrist is smaller than yours and the cushions have enough give (once broken in) to not stretch my bracelets.
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 06:15 AM   #10
cts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Highly suggest against unless you like your watches banging into each other.
Have you personally experienced this of are you just assuming?
Old 30 April 2021, 08:00 AM   #11
rdragon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And you are recommending one without having tried one? The rolls don't appear to have dividers where as the cases do. OP asked for a similar sized roll alternative.

https://us.louisvuitton.com/eng-us/p...-nvprod530001v
rdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 08:04 AM   #12
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
Love My Eleven:11 Pelican case .
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 08:28 AM   #13
cts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdragon View Post
And you are recommending one without having tried one? The rolls don't appear to have dividers where as the cases do. OP asked for a similar sized roll alternative.

https://us.louisvuitton.com/eng-us/p...-nvprod530001v
I do have one. Watches fit very tight, no movement. That’s why I’m asking you since obviously you don’t have one..
Old 30 April 2021, 08:35 AM   #14
JodyHighroller
Banned

Quote:
I’ve spent $3k on various watch rolls and cases. I’ve personally experienced this on the LV and similarly designed ones. The single cylinder rolls don’t compress either for smaller bracelets nor provide dividers. Thus, leading to my Everest roll review posted above.

What have you contributed to the forum besides various threads asking about what a DD40 weighs and when price increases occur?
Old 30 April 2021, 08:36 AM   #15
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Been happy with this,
https://www.wolf1834.com/blake-watch-roll#93=9
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 10:18 AM   #16
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I like my Bosphorus, no claims to being the best as it's the only one I've ever owned. Great quality in and out. Ya, it's cushy..May be better for travel as you have to unsnap the sections to remove a watch. They make many variations.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 11:10 AM   #17
cts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ve spent $3k on various watch rolls and cases. I’ve personally experienced this on the LV and similarly designed ones. The single cylinder rolls don’t compress either for smaller bracelets nor provide dividers. Thus, leading to my Everest roll review posted above.

What have you contributed to the forum besides various threads asking about what a DD40 weighs and when price increases occur?
Don’t shoot the messenger jody. It really doesn’t matter to me what you have or what you spent. I commented on this post given my experience with the product I’ve been happy with. Your opinion, which I still believe is based solely on assumption, is as important or unimportant as mine is my friend. You are no better or worse than any member of this forum, regardless of what you post.
Old 30 April 2021, 01:22 PM   #18
stidr
"TRF" Member

I have the everest 2 watch roll as well. With my 6.5" wrist my watches are pretty tight on the cushions. I put the cushions in a bench vise. Sides of the cushion are protected with a cotton towel. I tightened the vise until the cushion "wings" folded in all the way and left it there for several days. Viola! The watches fit perfectly with slight wiggle room. The vise allows for even compression of the wings.
stidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 01:49 PM   #19
ChugachEagle
"TRF" Member

Carapaz is better. More secure sliders. Better service. High quality.

Mirage is cheaper and very nice.

Everest rolls have a new design. Changed sometime in the last several months. Earlier rolls the sliders held securely. But they have loosened them, changed the internal tolerances. New rolls I received this year did not even hold the inserts securely. Everest said that was the new “design”...I will not buy again.
ChugachEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 03:17 PM   #20
MannySDG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChugachEagle View Post

Everest rolls have a new design. Changed sometime in the last several months. Earlier rolls the sliders held securely. But they have loosened them, changed the internal tolerances. New rolls I received this year did not even hold the inserts securely. Everest said that was the new “design”...I will not buy again.
I noticed that on my new 2 watch roll too. As mentioned the slider part now moves back and forth inside the cushion, the cushions slide about more as well and the cushions feel bigger compared to my older 3 watch roll. It's still fine though and the leather feels nice.
Old 30 April 2021, 03:40 PM   #21
ChugachEagle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannySDG View Post
I noticed that on my new 2 watch roll too. As mentioned the slider part now moves back and forth inside the cushion, the cushions slide about more as well and the cushions feel bigger compared to my older 3 watch roll. It's still fine though and the leather feels nice.
Yup, they told me that was the new design... they wanted them to be “loser” because people had complained the sliders were “too tight”. I told them my watches literally fall out of the slides and flop around inside the roll with virtually any movement of the roll at all. They said it was supposed to be that way and the actually refused to give me a refund. I have two of their older rolls, which aside from being overpriced, are excellent. But after the way I was treated and the way they are defending such an obviously flawed new “design”, I will never buy anything from them again. Many other companies now make better products for less and know how to treat customers.
ChugachEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 04:37 PM   #22
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Just do a search for "watch roll" or "watch stand" or whatever on aliexpress.com and you can find unbranded products direct from the Chinese suppliers for about $20 to $30 each.
Old 30 April 2021, 04:39 PM   #23
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7enderbender View Post
Hi there,

I just received a two-watch Everst watch roll in the mail that I had ordered based on reviews and because of some upcoming travel.
They are not cheap but nicely made. Wondering though if they are $285 nice given that the little removable cushions seem awfully tight on my watches.
I have a ca. 19mm wrist, so pretty average - yet the I can see how for example the band on my Speedmaster gets visibly stretched, even after squeezing the cushion all the way. Don't have my Sea Dweller here to compare.

Anyone have any experience, found a solution? Will those cushions become softer over time? Otherwise my alternatives are sending it back or trying to find a homemade solution for a smaller/softer cushion.

Any other recommendations that are otherwise similar in size and quality but have better cushions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Sauce View Post
+1 Same design principle as Everest and Carapaz (sliding cushions) with excellent customer service. Synthetic materials keep the cost down. My wrist is smaller than yours and the cushions have enough give (once broken in) to not stretch my bracelets.
Bracelets can be extended to full length but can't be stretched by fabrics. In a hardness comparison of steel versus cloth the cloth will compress and not the steel expand. As for a strap, that's a totally different issue as it is also either cloth or a polymer of some sort, it can be stretched. As for value, I have a wolf which has spacers between the watches. I also have a cheap one from Amazon both of which due just fine for my purposes. Never saw a need to spend the sort of money that anteing up for the Everest required. They've always seemed more useful for bragging rights than the additional protection they provide for a watch..

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2021, 12:38 AM   #24
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChugachEagle View Post

+1 here. Especially on Carapaz.

On Everest, I think you’ll fine the cushion loosens up over time so would not be overly concerned about that.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2021, 02:20 AM   #25
Jfumia
"TRF" Member

Watch: Divers / Chronos
I have one from Amazon (brand name beautgreen). It was cheap $36, but has been great for my watches. Cushions snap into the dividers.
Jfumia is offline   Reply With Quote