The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 January 2022, 10:51 PM   #331
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
OC Rolex Guy here on TRF just listed a 2020 ceramic LN in new condition for $36895 that lasted a few hours it looks.
Old 21 January 2022, 11:12 PM   #332
telesquire
Banned

Chrono is nonsense, most Daytonas never get on there.
telesquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 11:36 PM   #333
rlx123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohuti02 View Post

One's gotta respect when a man tries to put a bread on the table for his family though

It’s more like him putting another prancing horse in his garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rlx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 12:04 AM   #334
Deppe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rnold View Post

And now my answer to your question:

Why do I think that this is not a normal market: the explanation you give yourself is a basic answer, that completely misses the deeper understanding of the economy. We should first define a normal market, but for the argument's sake, let's say that you see the prices on the grey market are what the watches are worth, and I say they are not. I know what you think now, you will say: if people pay this, it's worth it. Again, too simple. In a market that has grown in a healthy way, I would say you are right, but the prices have risen tremendous in 3 years. If you see how long Rolex exists, this is out of proportion.

My idea is this: the prices on the grey market have gone trough the roof, I suppose we can agree on that? why? because the demand has gone way up and supply stayed (more or less the same). Now we have to look if the demand is justified.
As Rolex is a luxury product, it does not have the same intrinsic value as for example, food, real estate,... so when people overpay (and from here on its speculation) they do it for the wrong reasons, mostly because it's a status symbol.
My proof for it is that one moment a steel watch was more worth than a watch with gold. That is just a agreement between people. Now I do agree that a watch is a real thing, and it has intrinsic value. To a certain level. And that level is (more or less) the retail price. And that is acceptable. But now we created a bubble, by pushing the price to the sky, artificially.
Mostly because there is a growing number of people wanting it as a status symbol. So if a 'mass produced' product, with an intrinsic value lower (or equal) than the retail price is sold for 3times it's price on the grey market. I think we are dealing with an artificial high price. Wich is in my opinion strange. So does the price of bitcoin appears strange to my.

And with the same reasoning I think that for example stocks from a decent company that grew steadily over the years, that price is more a real indicator of the intrinsic value of that company than a some unknown company whose stocks skyrocket in a few hours (however this is no certainty)
So in my opinion, the price is artificially high, but will it be corrected? That is hard to say
I can follow your thinking but I do not agree on a number of points.

1. You mention that a watch does not have the same intrinsic value as food or real estate and that we should look at the intrinsic value to see if something is overpriced or not (or that is how I read your comment).
With this in mind, how do we explain the rise in real estate prices? A lot of places people have simply been priced out the last couple of years - mainly in larger cities. So how do we come to the conclusion that real estate have more intrinsic value than a watch? I know - real estate if often housing which provides a utility. But does that explain that the exact some house/apartment at the exact same location how risen substantially over the last number of years? Or is this also a bubble? And how do we find the correct intrinsic value for real estate since this do not have a retail price? And that leads me to my next point.

2. You mention that the intrinsic value of a mass produced product should be more or less its retail price. Am I to understand this as if Rolex raised the price of a Daytona tomorrow to current market prices, then you would agree that this would be the intrinsic value of the watch? I cannot say what the correct intrinsic value is, but binding it up to retail price seems arbitrary, and as a not well thought out argument. For one because the retail price might differ depending on the companies strategy - eg. do they have low margins but high volumes, or do they have smaller volumes but higher margins? Second because the company can raise prices as they please.

3. You think that the price of stocks from a decent company that grew steadily over the years, is more a real indicator of the intrinsic value of that company. Maybe/maybe not. The problem with that is that you use the past to predict the present. Simplified, the current value of a stock should be the present value of the companies future cash flows instead of the company's results in the past.
Imagine seeing Kodak around 2008/2009 and thinking "Wow, this company has a really solid past with solid results" - by thinking that way you would ignore the implications that the surge in mobile camera phones would have on the company's business model and future profits.
Deppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 01:34 AM   #335
Tensai
"TRF" Member

Watch: all the good ones
The members who always posted about their crytpo profits are strangely silent this past week. Hmmmmm...
Tensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 01:42 AM   #336
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensai View Post
The members who always posted about their crytpo profits are strangely silent this past week. Hmmmmm...
Sold all my shi*coin and bought Cryptona!!!!!!! To the moon!!!!
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 01:44 AM   #337
Screwly
"TRF" Member

Watch: “Pepsi”
Quote:

I’m excited! It’s time to load up on more!
126613lb
326934 jubilee/blue dial
Screwly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 01:48 AM   #338
joejet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlx123 View Post
It’s more like him putting another prancing horse in his garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David drives a Mclaren.
joejet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 08:19 AM   #339
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
What's happened to crypto?
I don't pay attention. I figure when it crashes I will see it on mainstream news.
Fools and their money are usually parted eventually.
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 08:22 AM   #340
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Sold all my shi*coin and bought Cryptona!!!!!!! To the moon!!!!
......Mars !!!
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 08:22 AM   #341
bmrk
Banned

Never thought that day would come
bmrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 09:15 PM   #342
lava flow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well what do you expect now when Rolex watches are nothing more than £££$$€€ objects and nothing more.
in reality that is all they are

i mean who in hell started that Rolex are for enthusiasts with no regards to market value retention?

they are watches pure and simple - ie jewellery nothing more or less

pay if you want one if not walk away - your choice

i have five inc new Daytona and Hulk - and yes, they were bought at RRP from an AD but they are most certainly investments that i can wear whilst they appreciate in value - win win scenario
lava flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 09:34 PM   #343
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Bitcoins at a high converted to current market on Daytona ,seems like a bargain .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 11:33 PM   #344
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Please bitcoin disappear and finally end this waste of energy and stop creating annoying crypto millionaires.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2022, 03:43 AM   #345
ALF61
"TRF" Member

Just checked his only Panda at almost 49K and not even a New or Unworn. Even the black dial is crazy price at 43K.
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote