The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 January 2022, 09:29 AM   #1
eyalbou
"TRF" Member

Submariner wait list and Cartier Santos

Hey people,
So my partner been browsing for a watch for some time now with her reaching a huge career milestone.
Recently she's been hooked on the Santos model 35mm and I decided I'll get it for her. The question is wether to get it from a Cartier shop, or from an AD where I'm on a waiting list for a no date sub for nearly 3 years, with no purchase history. Will it make a real difference?

Thanks!
eyalbou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 09:31 AM   #2
illiguy
2024 Pledge Member

I would go through AD. Sub should be gettable, maybe with some lag time, after the wait and that purchase.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 09:33 AM   #3
Potawatomi
"TRF" Member

100% the AD.
Potawatomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 09:34 AM   #4
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

don't wanna sound harsh but 3 years for a no date sub? they likely either forgot about you or don't care for you. a no date sub shouldn't be that hard to get even today if you play your cards right. i don't know if i'd want to go with that AD personally. are there any others around you that sell both?
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 09:39 AM   #5
dannyp
Banned

Well, let's start with: I see no advantage to buying at a Cartier boutique, especially since it doesn't sound like you're looking to build any kind of relationship there. That said, doesn't sound like you're making much headway with the Rolex dealer, ether.

Personally, I'd consider going to another dealer that sells both, expressing interest in both at the same time ("hey, looking to get a Santos 35 and Sub, do you/when will you have those in stock?").
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 09:58 AM   #6
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Tell the AD you will buy that Cartier if they get you a Sub at the same time, both one purchase, go elsewhere if that doesn't work.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 10:02 AM   #7
DRS Enabled
Banned

100% the AD. In economics they would call this a "dominant option" lol. There is zero point buying this at the Cartier store.
DRS Enabled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 10:18 AM   #8
Zuger
"TRF" Member

Watch: me set the time
Definitely not from the Cartier store since your favor is going no where there.
Zuger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 10:54 AM   #9
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
Did you keep in regular contact with the AD or just went once and are waiting… then Maybe give them another chance by asking for both… now if you kept in regular contact and they kept stringing you along then you probably wouldn’t have much luck even with buying the santos…. From what I hear on here the UK can be very difficult to get a watch..Not every AD sell Cartier so I wouldn’t burn any bridges unless I had to.. if you have several ADs nearby that sell Cartier I would visit them all and get a feel for the one you have the best chance with and get the Cartier there. Good luck
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 11:12 AM   #10
Alex71168
"TRF" Member

Definitely the AD it will help 100%
Alex71168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 11:16 AM   #11
Greg.A
"TRF" Member

35mm Cartier santos is on waiting list where i am..doubt it is going to gain much brownie points as it is a popular model
Greg.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 04:41 PM   #12
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex71168 View Post
Definitely the AD it will help 100%
This
Can’t do any harm and might speed up your sub
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 07:06 PM   #13
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I’m surprised it’s been a 3 year wait for a Submariner. But maybe I’m miscalculating the amount of time there has been such a huge demand vs supply disparity. Either way, I’d definitely get it at the AD to build up a purchase history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 07:32 PM   #14
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
The AD kept you on a string for three years and you still want to do business with him ?
I’d go to the Cartier boutique. The Mrs experience with Cartier customer service is second to none. It’s really pleasant to shop there
Old 23 January 2022, 07:58 PM   #15
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
That AD couldnt case less about your business. Go both places and buy the place that will ensure you have the watch in time for her big day
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 09:17 PM   #16
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Don't reward the AD for keeping you on the hook for three years. Go to the Cartier shop.
Old 23 January 2022, 09:21 PM   #17
bp1000
"TRF" Member

I will not be surprised if this year was the year Rolex followed Patek and issued a "strong" advisory to ask AD's to allocate watches to people based on Rolex brand loyalty.

I know this is a controversial topic so I don't want to go down a rabbit hole with this thought. But OP I doubt very much whether it will make much difference at all.

I think any AD that says 3 years for a sub is probably trying to put you off. They use to say that about the steel daytona in 2015.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 09:42 PM   #18
JMGoodnight369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
I will not be surprised if this year was the year Rolex followed Patek and issued a "strong" advisory to ask AD's to allocate watches to people based on Rolex brand loyalty.

I know this is a controversial topic so I don't want to go down a rabbit hole with this thought. But OP I doubt very much whether it will make much difference at all.

I think any AD that says 3 years for a sub is probably trying to put you off. They use to say that about the steel daytona in 2015.
100% can confirm this. In order to try and combat flippers a little they try to weave them out and prioritize clients with history buying Rolex. I don’t believe it necessarily has to be from that particular AD tho. As long as you go in regularly and have on a Rolex I do believe it gets you brownie points. Which doesn’t help in OP’s case. I would agree with everyone and say go in once a month or so and try to always speak with the same SA every time. Talk about why you want the sub. Where does it fit in to your lifestyle. You’ve been waiting 3 years because you went and asked for the most popular watch that’s ever been made and didn’t leave an impression. Make your presence known and that this watch means something to you and you’ll get it.
JMGoodnight369 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 10:15 PM   #19
arcampado
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Don't reward the AD for keeping you on the hook for three years. Go to the Cartier shop.
I agree with Adam on this given your 3 year wait. I would say either try to find a new AD that sells both Rolex and Cartier or just go to the Cartier boutique
arcampado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 10:32 PM   #20
Lewi777
"TRF" Member

My wife bought a battery Cartier from a Cartier boutique and to cut a long story short we weren't happy with the battery life and in the end they let us swap the heavily worn watch (over a year old) for a more expensive automatic. We paid just the difference between the two new prices. It was AMAZING customer care. I don't believe that if we'd bought the watch from an AD that would have happened. I always buy direct where I can, e.g. its much better to buy direct from Apple, for the same reason; when there is an issue you will get much better customer care.

Here in the UK, I've been repeatedly told by the WOS group (who make 80% of Rolex sales in the UK) that only a purchase history in Rolex will help you to purchase a Rolex. So buying a Cartier from them won't make any difference.

So, if I was buying a Cartier, I would go direct to Cartier.

P.S. as a point of principle I also wouldn't want to validate the AD games of making you buy other stuff first; I'd just feel better inside for not rewarding this approach that they take
Lewi777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 10:47 PM   #21
Woody
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyalbou View Post
Hey people,
So my partner been browsing for a watch for some time now with her reaching a huge career milestone.
Recently she's been hooked on the Santos model 35mm and I decided I'll get it for her. The question is wether to get it from a Cartier shop, or from an AD where I'm on a waiting list for a no date sub for nearly 3 years, with no purchase history. Will it make a real difference?

Thanks!
Hate to tell you this but I am pretty certain that you are not on any "waiting list" for a Submariner. If I was in your shoes I would pick-up a new model Submariner from a reputable "grey" dealer or look to source a nice 5 digit pre-owned example such as a late model 16610 or 14060M. As for the Santos then I would follow the advice received from many members here and head straight to Cartier. Hope all works out well for you and your partner
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 10:56 PM   #22
Roosterfish5
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1971/72
I am not sure the AD have any stock to sell!

I commute to Heathrow Airport once a week and always look into the Rolex store. It now looks like it has been ransacked after a riot. More staff than watches for sale. Some are marked display only.

Just before COVID at the same store I tried a Platinum daytona , blue white gold and black white gold daytona on the same day but too expensive and too new IF i had the cash. Well my excuse. I think the white gold were around £23,000.00. They also had subs and GMT II. Yup what a fool if I was a speculator, but I now like the Platinum but the price was too rich then now, wow crazy.

They will not even let you order a sports model!!
Roosterfish5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 10:58 PM   #23
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
I would go to had the best price. Typically Cartier are not discounted much. I wouldn’t be as concerned with a future Rolex purchase.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 11:17 PM   #24
stark1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/ALS/Omega
Not adding much new here, but definitely go the AD route in your case. The spend at the Cartier boutique will not bring you any closer to your sub. That's a certainly. With the modest spend at an AD that offers both brands, you'd at least be entered into the lottery. it won't be immediate, but at least it's better than the first scenario.
stark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 11:30 PM   #25
travisb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes..
I'd visit the AD and see what they have to say. 3 year wait for a Sub seems extreme even with no purchase history.
If they don't seem willing to help you go to Cartier.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2022, 12:52 AM   #26
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Good advice so far. I would see if there was an alternative AD to the one you are working with now that caries both brands. If so, pay them a visit and see what they can do. I would believe they would discount the 35mm Cartier at the least. If full retail and no Submariner in the near future then I would go to the Boutique and have the experience of buying there. I would then find the watch I wanted in the Gray market and negotiate my best deal and get the Submariner and move one. Good luck and let us know how it plays out.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2022, 01:03 AM   #27
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I would buy from the AD, only if they will commit their next Sub to you. Otherwise, I would find a new AD. Three years for a Sub is too long.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2022, 01:06 AM   #28
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Good advice so far. I would see if there was an alternative AD to the one you are working with now that caries both brands. If so, pay them a visit and see what they can do. I would believe they would discount the 35mm Cartier at the least. If full retail and no Submariner in the near future then I would go to the Boutique and have the experience of buying there. I would then find the watch I wanted in the Gray market and negotiate my best deal and get the Submariner and move one. Good luck and let us know how it plays out.
Good advice. Currently, the mark up on the Sub is not crazy. Buy it now, have it immediately and be done with all the frustration. life is too short. Buy the Cartier at a nice discount somewhere.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2022, 03:37 AM   #29
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewi777 View Post
My wife bought a battery Cartier from a Cartier boutique and to cut a long story short we weren't happy with the battery life and in the end they let us swap the heavily worn watch (over a year old) for a more expensive automatic. We paid just the difference between the two new prices. It was AMAZING customer care. I don't believe that if we'd bought the watch from an AD that would have happened. I always buy direct where I can, e.g. its much better to buy direct from Apple, for the same reason; when there is an issue you will get much better customer care.

Here in the UK, I've been repeatedly told by the WOS group (who make 80% of Rolex sales in the UK) that only a purchase history in Rolex will help you to purchase a Rolex. So buying a Cartier from them won't make any difference.

So, if I was buying a Cartier, I would go direct to Cartier.

P.S. as a point of principle I also wouldn't want to validate the AD games of making you buy other stuff first; I'd just feel better inside for not rewarding this approach that they take
cartier customer care is top tier. probably the best i've seen out of all luxury goods brands, along with the AP boutique here but not sure if that's an isolated experience. the only problem is there's absolutely no discounts at boutiques but not like there are discounts elsewhere right now anyway
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2022, 04:22 AM   #30
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
cartier customer care is top tier. probably the best i've seen out of all luxury goods brands, along with the AP boutique here but not sure if that's an isolated experience. the only problem is there's absolutely no discounts at boutiques but not like there are discounts elsewhere right now anyway
My experience at most high-end/boutique places (Cartier, Tiffany, Coach, Omega, etc) is exceptional customer care. Rolex is a bit more all over the map. Being outright lied to is something I don't think I have encountered anywhere else...
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote