The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 4 January 2022, 05:45 AM   #121
N&M
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712+RO+3 Daytona
When I first read the title of the topic, I thought it was completely crazy. But then I thought and remembered the gray prices for a simple AP chronograph, such as the 26331. Similar design and functionality, regular watches in the line. I think the SS daytona has a chance to double in 2022
N&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 07:56 AM   #122
Xtralarg
"TRF" Member

I paid MRSP for mine and there's no way I'd sell it, even for >100k. I'm only going to ever get one of these from my AD so I'd have to go grey to get another and there is about a 20-25% difference in what the trade will pay you vs the sale price.
Xtralarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 08:24 AM   #123
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfa View Post
I agree, the bang average 5711 has proved this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, I was going to say that
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2022, 12:15 AM   #124
speedbird
"TRF" Member

Well, since this thread was started 3.5 weeks ago, the value seems to have shot up again to new highs. No idea what is going on in this market !
speedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2022, 12:48 AM   #125
Saintos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbird View Post
Well, since this thread was started 3.5 weeks ago, the value seems to have shot up again to new highs. No idea what is going on in this market !

I really don’t know if people are buying at that price. And how this will end, god’s knows…
Saintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2022, 12:55 AM   #126
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Old 24 January 2022, 01:10 AM   #127
Saintos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post

Interesting! Thx
Saintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2022, 01:45 AM   #128
Feb_29
"TRF" Member

From eBay:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (99.4 KB, 325 views)
Feb_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2022, 02:08 AM   #129
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

I literally just posted eBay screen shots lol
Old 24 January 2022, 02:10 AM   #130
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
When the 126500 launches with the new movement the current Daytonas will crash. That's my word dog.
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2022, 02:10 AM   #131
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

This thread like many from years back on the SS Daytona will be fun in another year. When the ceramic SS Daytona was $25k many lost their minds swearing up and down it wasn’t a permanent or “sustainable” price. They were kinda right. Like when it hit $25k we will look back now at $45k and say it was a bargain.
Old 24 January 2022, 02:13 AM   #132
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
When the 126500 launches with the new movement the current Daytonas will crash. That's my word dog.
I will bet just the opposite. The cal.4130 movement will go nuclear.

This will be another fun prediction down the road to look back on.
Old 24 January 2022, 06:17 AM   #133
speedbird
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You mean like when the 126610 launched and the 116610 crashed !?????
Old 24 January 2022, 06:21 AM   #134
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I can't think of any recent example where unobtainable new versions crashed the value of prior generation hot models.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2022, 07:22 AM   #135
speedbird
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
I can't think of any recent example where unobtainable new versions crashed the value of prior generation hot models.
Kind of the point I was making !
Old 24 January 2022, 05:29 PM   #136
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
I don’t see that happening
Plus the 116500 has the latest movement
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2022, 05:55 PM   #137
ce027772
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbird View Post
Sounds crazy to say it. But this is likely the most iconic current model and given values of some other hyped models recently it does feel that the ceramic steel Daytona is relatively reasonable value on the grey market.

Can see it exceeding 50k before long and hence a good investment buy at current values.

Thoughts?
At this point it's pure speculation. Same as asking if it's a good time to buy Bitcoin now.
ce027772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2022, 05:57 PM   #138
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
So far, what really caught my eye in this thread is that an Omega Speedmaster was Steve McQueen's first choice for a wristwatch in "LeMans", a movie that was very special to him given his own interest in racing. He was a movie star...and a very serious actor, who strove for authenticity when portraying characters like race car drivers and detectives. So, his preference for Omega is intriguing is something I hadn't heard before.

I have almost no interest in racing, but I am a movie fan, and a Steve McQueen fan.

I read, actually fairly recently, that the Speedmaster was originally developed with auto racing in mind. It later found appreciation by Mercury Program astronauts, and by NASA, which tested a few chronographs purchased at a Houston jewelry shop (including the Daytona), the winner of those tests being the Speedmaster Professional. Anyway, it seems the Speedmaster has been well appreciated in the racing world, probably what drew McQueen to it. McQueen particularly valued professionalism, and portraying that character, he would want his gear to be a pro's choices.

Paul Newman is mentioned a lot. Of course, apart from being a great film actor, he was a serious race car driver, too. Perhaps that's why his wife chose that model to give him, over all others.

Clearly, the Daytona is an icon to the racing world, and to the watch world, too.

Amusing to hear it described as "undervalued", given that the ceramic IS still in production and grey market prices rise, rise, rise.

I'd say it's doing just fine. Earlier, someone said it would hit $100K in five years. I think it will hit that mark sooner, unless other economic forces shut down the party. Anyway, it's a fine watch and handsome, too. Think I'll keep mine!
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2022, 06:31 PM   #139
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing and waiting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Archer View Post
So far, what really caught my eye in this thread is that an Omega Speedmaster was Steve McQueen's first choice for a wristwatch in "LeMans", a movie that was very special to him given his own interest in racing. He was a movie star...and a very serious actor, who strove for authenticity when portraying characters like race car drivers and detectives. So, his preference for Omega is intriguing is something I hadn't heard before.

I have almost no interest in racing, but I am a movie fan, and a Steve McQueen fan.

I read, actually fairly recently, that the Speedmaster was originally developed with auto racing in mind. It later found appreciation by Mercury Program astronauts, and by NASA, which tested a few chronographs purchased at a Houston jewelry shop (including the Daytona), the winner of those tests being the Speedmaster Professional. Anyway, it seems the Speedmaster has been well appreciated in the racing world, probably what drew McQueen to it. McQueen particularly valued professionalism, and portraying that character, he would want his gear to be a pro's choices.

Paul Newman is mentioned a lot. Of course, apart from being a great film actor, he was a serious race car driver, too. Perhaps that's why his wife chose that model to give him, over all others.

Clearly, the Daytona is an icon to the racing world, and to the watch world, too.

Amusing to hear it described as "undervalued", given that the ceramic IS still in production and grey market prices rise, rise, rise.

I'd say it's doing just fine. Earlier, someone said it would hit $100K in five years. I think it will hit that mark sooner, unless other economic forces shut down the party. Anyway, it's a fine watch and handsome, too. Think I'll keep mine!
So far, what really caught my eye in this thread is that an Omega Speedmaster was Steve McQueen's first choice for a wristwatch in "LeMans",

Not sure what you are saying here? Didn't he only feature and wear the HEUER MONACO in the film? (Sorry I've never watched it BTW)

https://quillandpad.com/2018/06/26/t...er-don-nunley/
Daveclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2022, 07:14 PM   #140
grimps
"TRF" Member

I read, actually fairly recently, that the Speedmaster was originally developed with auto racing in mind.

It makes sense as I'm guessing the watch market for Astronauts was pretty small
grimps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2022, 07:25 PM   #141
Alliy
Banned

The Daytona has doubled it's price since it was released and with the help of the grey market it will triple that price this year. Undervalue is not a thought that comes to mind when I think of the Daytona
Alliy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2022, 07:35 PM   #142
Neom
Banned

I think it's widely overvalued since the MSRP is already a price including a hefty profit margin made by Rolex (cost them roughly 60% of that to produce)
Neom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2022, 07:54 PM   #143
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Is the 116500 undervalued?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveclock View Post
So far, what really caught my eye in this thread is that an Omega Speedmaster was Steve McQueen's first choice for a wristwatch in "LeMans",

Not sure what you are saying here? Didn't he only feature and wear the HEUER MONACO in the film? (Sorry I've never watched it BTW)

https://quillandpad.com/2018/06/26/t...er-don-nunley/

There is an earlier post in the thread that stated certain legal/contractual issues precluded using the Omega, so the Heuer got the part…I’d never heard that before reading it here.
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2022, 08:43 AM   #144
malba2366
"TRF" Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OjJGgrwpbI
malba2366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2022, 09:29 AM   #145
1665fan
"TRF" Member

116520 are the bargains now…….
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2022, 09:38 AM   #146
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Considering what other watches are going for such as the Patek 57xx references and OP41 color dial references, the Daytona is undervalued, especially in SS and looking at historical Daytonas. The 116520 is even more underrated so to speak. Underrated/undervalued Rolex is rare to find, an undervalued Daytona even more so. I think 116520s will cross $100k over the next 10 years and 116500s will cross $75k and be even more limited. The only reason for the difference in prices imo is because one will be farther away from production years and the other will have more under its belt by then. Cycle repeat with the 116500 successor and 116500.

The level of pricing though currently I think says a lot more about "smart money's" thoughts on financial assets and inflation. The very wealthy I think are stocking up on hard assets right now if I had to guess. Currency valuations look like crap across the board with interest rates that are 12 years late on a rate hike and fiscal spending that looks like some are trying to make monopoly money.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2022, 11:13 AM   #147
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

Is the 116500 undervalued?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
Considering what other watches are going for such as the Patek 57xx references and OP41 color dial references, the Daytona is undervalued, especially in SS and looking at historical Daytonas. The 116520 is even more underrated so to speak. Underrated/undervalued Rolex is rare to find, an undervalued Daytona even more so. I think 116520s will cross $100k over the next 10 years and 116500s will cross $75k and be even more limited. The only reason for the difference in prices imo is because one will be farther away from production years and the other will have more under its belt by then. Cycle repeat with the 116500 successor and 116500.

The level of pricing though currently I think says a lot more about "smart money's" thoughts on financial assets and inflation. The very wealthy I think are stocking up on hard assets right now if I had to guess. Currency valuations look like crap across the board with interest rates that are 12 years late on a rate hike and fiscal spending that looks like some are trying to make monopoly money.

I don’t think you’re far off, but I Would not be surprised to see the 116500 go to 100K in the next five years.

If you really compare the Daytona to other models, it’s a hard watch the beat.
Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2022, 11:37 AM   #148
TomLou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx 1807 President
Definitely undervalued
Price should increase to $200.000 for exclusivity. Now at $45.000 every Tom..etc. can buy one
TomLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2022, 12:00 PM   #149
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Wait…Daytonas are worth more than MSRP? I just got one at MSRP? Should I sell it….

Let’s stop the constant Daytona pricing talk and being over valued / under valued.

What we should really be talking about is the overall state of the market and economic drivers of these trends. Is this sustainable? Why? Where is the ceiling / support levels?

If we can’t stop talking about the price of watches, can we please start giving some real perspectives of economics here?

My thoughts - watches have completely blew past any normalized economic theory - stock markets, interest rates and Bitcoin mean nothing - these are officially a new asset class that is very defensible.
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2022, 12:16 PM   #150
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
This thread like many from years back on the SS Daytona will be fun in another year. When the ceramic SS Daytona was $25k many lost their minds swearing up and down it wasn’t a permanent or “sustainable” price. They were kinda right. Like when it hit $25k we will look back now at $45k and say it was a bargain.
I do agree with you. People are getting pissed off about the price for the wrong reasons. So if you purchase the piece at a good price they are pissed because they didn't. Members should be happy when other members purchase a piece regardless of the price that is the way it used to be. We are collectors that love the pieces that we purchase regardless of price. If you are pissed about that go elsewhere. If you like the piece buy it regardless of price. Happy New Year !!
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote