The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 January 2019, 09:42 PM   #1
Sailaway
"TRF" Member

Rolex at London Heathrow advice

Hi all.

I'm just seeking advice regarding an emotional purchase in the near future...

A bit of background. I am 55 years old.I have a smallish collection of watches - 2 Subs, an Omega Moonwatch, Brietling SO Heritage II, Tudor Black Bay GMT, and a Tudor BB S&G are the headlines -so some nice pieces but something is missing. Basically I bought all of these watches for myself and although I like them all for different reasons none have any sentimental value to me......

My father passed away over the new year holidays, and I have lovely memories of my life with him . Dad was not a WIS - in fact didn't wear a watch at all in old age. But there is a modest inheritance and I'm thinking of using some of it to get a watch with which I will always be reminded of him. I'm thinking a DJ would be timeless and grow old with me without going out of fashion.

So, the question....... Do the AD's at LHR still keep a reasonable stock of DJ's, and are they still offering the VAT refunds (or equivalent discount) for inter- European flights (as I believe they were)? Which terminals are the big displays in?

Any recent experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sailaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 09:59 PM   #2
Strummer25
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K Dj41 SubC YM
Sorry for your loss. My mother isnt well and contemplating doing same with whatever I inherit. Rolex at Heathrow have been excellent for me in the past and am sure they will be able to source you a DJ, you may have to wait a while for the 41mm fluted with blue dial but suspect the others should be fairly easy to obtain, certainly in comparison to other references. Good luck and enjoy when you land it. Try calling them
Strummer25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 10:11 PM   #3
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
I don‘t think that any shop at Heathrow has ever offered a VAT refund for inter-european flights. And I‘d not want to tarnish the connection to that watch with taxevasion, as you likely return to the country and legally have to declare it.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 10:25 PM   #4
Sailaway
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
I don‘t think that any shop at Heathrow has ever offered a VAT refund for inter-european flights. And I‘d not want to tarnish the connection to that watch with taxevasion, as you likely return to the country and legally have to declare it.
Ah, my apologies - I seemed to remember reading that this was legally done at some point - if an EU flight that items were reduced so that the new price including VAT was the same as the tax free price. I seem to remember this was also done at the AD's in Amsterdam . My father was a tax accountant so he certainly would not have endorsed anything under the radar
Old 10 January 2019, 10:26 PM   #5
stevo55
"TRF" Member

I passed through Heathrow T5 and stopped for a chat at the Rolex shop there. Basically they will offer a VAT discount (20%) on outside of EU travel.
I asked them about models such as BNLR and the waiting list is around 5 years! They occasionally get models in and their advice was if you see one grab it there and then and don’t wait as they don’t hold a stock of Daytona’s Batman’s etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stevo55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 10:40 PM   #6
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo55 View Post
I passed through Heathrow T5 and stopped for a chat at the Rolex shop there. Basically they will offer a VAT discount (20%) on outside of EU travel.
I asked them about models such as BNLR and the waiting list is around 5 years! They occasionally get models in and their advice was if you see one grab it there and then and don’t wait as they don’t hold a stock of Daytona’s Batman’s etc etc

Maybe best to wait till April then EU travel gets the VAT too.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2019, 12:19 AM   #7
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo55 View Post

VAT free is around 16% not 20%
Rolex Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2019, 12:35 AM   #8
Fleegle
"TRF" Member

You may be confused with the the WoS shop in T5. They allow a discount equivalent to VAT, on all flights - even on internal UK flights.

But they exclude Tudor as the Rolex group doesn't allow it.

Similarly, the Rolex shop a few doors down (which is also owned by the WoS/Aurum group) won't allow discount on Internal/EU flights, just VAT saving on non-EU.

Both stores can be contacted by phone and asked about stock levels and reservations before you travel. I've had WoS reserve a watch for me - very helpful. Rolex in Heathrow: (T5) 020 8757 2115, (T4) 020 8745 5145, (T2) 020 8976 7516.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailaway View Post
Ah, my apologies - I seemed to remember reading that this was legally done at some point - if an EU flight that items were reduced so that the new price including VAT was the same as the tax free price. I seem to remember this was also done at the AD's in Amsterdam . My father was a tax accountant so he certainly would not have endorsed anything under the radar
Fleegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2019, 04:09 AM   #9
Sailaway
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the useful replies....appreciated.
Old 11 January 2019, 04:10 AM   #10
Sailaway
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleegle View Post
You may be confused with the the WoS shop in T5. They allow a discount equivalent to VAT, on all flights - even on internal UK flights.

But they exclude Tudor as the Rolex group doesn't allow it.

Similarly, the Rolex shop a few doors down (which is also owned by the WoS/Aurum group) won't allow discount on Internal/EU flights, just VAT saving on non-EU.

Both stores can be contacted by phone and asked about stock levels and reservations before you travel. I've had WoS reserve a watch for me - very helpful. Rolex in Heathrow: (T5) 020 8757 2115, (T4) 020 8745 5145, (T2) 020 8976 7516.

Thank you.... yes, I think this is the source of my confusion.
Old 11 January 2019, 04:13 AM   #11
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailaway View Post
amsterdam did this heathrow does not. I don't think AMS does this any longer though.

Tax free (equivalent pricing) is available at LHR for all brands minus rolex/tudor for intra european flights and you don't have to declare because its basically a discount. I bought an AP that way once.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2019, 04:27 AM   #12
Sailaway
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
amsterdam did this heathrow does not. I don't think AMS does this any longer though.

Tax free (equivalent pricing) is available at LHR for all brands minus rolex/tudor for intra european flights and you don't have to declare because its basically a discount. I bought an AP that way once.
Thank you Tyler
Old 11 January 2019, 04:57 AM   #13
Compo
"TRF" Member

You might be better off buying a DJ from a normal UK AD and negotiating a discount - given this will be such a special piece, could be a bit of a pain buying at LHR and flying to a non-EU destination to get some VAT back. Switzerland might be the shortest/cheapest destination if you are thinking of doing a round trip - but sounds a bit out of keeping with the purpose of the watch to go through this for a bit of VAT and a slightly sweaty walk through customs.
Compo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2019, 07:21 AM   #14
Sailaway
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compo View Post
You might be better off buying a DJ from a normal UK AD and negotiating a discount - given this will be such a special piece, could be a bit of a pain buying at LHR and flying to a non-EU destination to get some VAT back. Switzerland might be the shortest/cheapest destination if you are thinking of doing a round trip - but sounds a bit out of keeping with the purpose of the watch to go through this for a bit of VAT and a slightly sweaty walk through customs.
Thanks. Yes, I was asking as I definitely want a guilt free watch. I had heard some watches are available discounted to a non VAT level but VAT paid, but it seems not Rolex or Tudor. I think you k=make a good point. I have a relationship with an AD so maybe I should start there. The man I will remember with this watch was one of the most honest men I have ever met. He worked all his life after national service and uni as a tax accountant in the City so there are two pre-requisites for this purchase: It must be whiter than white on any tax question and I should get the best deal available (he was a true accountant in this regard!) All of your advice is appreciated from this lovely forum.
Old 11 January 2019, 07:46 AM   #15
12MP
"TRF" Member

Sorry for your loss. First thing to know is that duty free is NOT a 20% discount. Here is the maths: £1 + 20% = £1.20. But £1.20 - 20% = £0.96p. So it is actually about a 17% discount: £1.20 - 17% = £1

I bought an OP at T5. Talk to Zabi at T5 and he can order several watches in for you and even send them over to whichever terminal you are leaving from. You will need to place a 10% deposit, which can be done either by setting up an account with WoS or when you next go through LHR.

At the time of purchase WoS will ask for your boarding pass and will check that its destination is outside the EU, and then enter it into the system. Presumably this is to ensure that you don't print one up yourself! Flights to Norway and Switzerland qualify as non-EU.

Final point- the receipt you get from WoS states clearly that you must declare the watch if you re-enter the U.K. (as a U.K. resident) within 6 months of buying it duty free. I doubt anyone actually does this, and most of the customers I saw were Chinese, on their way back home, but it's something to bear in mind.
12MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2019, 11:04 AM   #16
rsflint
"TRF" Member

Is it possible to get a little discount for DJ from Heathrow duty-free? I understand that it is already VAT free but if they have many DJs sitting around perhaps it is possible to negotiate a little more? Also, I heard they keep warranty card for sports models even for TT.
rsflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2019, 01:33 PM   #17
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

My favorite Heathrow Rolex story:

While in the Navy, I was flying from the Persian Gulf back to the states through Heathrow. I had a few hour layover, so I stopped in the Rolex shop. The TT GMT IIC was the new hot model at the time. The SS GMT IIC had not yet come out, but was announced, which was the model I really wanted. But, heh I was there so I tried on the TT and OMG it was beautiful (still love that watch)!

Anyway, the SA said, “What’s holding you back?” I told him my wife would kill me, plus I really was waiting for the SS version. His line sticks with me today ... “How long can she stay mad?”

Just too funny!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2019, 02:18 PM   #18
Jackumi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB, 116713LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex Essex View Post
VAT free is around 16% not 20%
This is a pic I took at the Rolex AD at Heathrow T2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex T2.jpg (134.8 KB, 428 views)
Jackumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2019, 02:54 PM   #19
rsflint
"TRF" Member

The correct way to calculate VAT-free price is dividing the normal retail price (incl VAT) by 1+VAT%. For example, UK VAT is 20%, so for a GBP10,000 watch (incl VAT), the VAT-free price is 10,000/1.20=8333.33 which is the same as getting 16.67% discount.
Old 11 January 2019, 06:42 PM   #20
zeeww
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsflint View Post
Is it possible to get a little discount for DJ from Heathrow duty-free? I understand that it is already VAT free but if they have many DJs sitting around perhaps it is possible to negotiate a little more? Also, I heard they keep warranty card for sports models even for TT.
Not true. I bought SS professional model (and heard others who bought at Heathrow) and had everything when I left the store. The only requirements are sizing the watch and stickers off.
zeeww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2019, 06:47 PM   #21
rsflint
"TRF" Member

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...light=heathrow

This guy said they kept his card. Comment #21.
Old 11 January 2019, 06:48 PM   #22
rsflint
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeww View Post
Not true. I bought SS professional model (and heard others who bought at Heathrow) and had everything when I left the store. The only requirements are sizing the watch and stickers off.
Old 11 January 2019, 06:49 PM   #23
12MP
"TRF" Member

I bought an OP at Heathrow a few months ago (I’m selling actually- see my post in watches for sale) and they gave me everything.
12MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2019, 06:53 PM   #24
timedate
-

a great tribute to your fathers memory would be a new yg 36mm daydate,

they are pricey, but in my opinion, the quintessential rolex.

best wishes.
timedate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2019, 07:53 PM   #25
zeeww
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsflint View Post
Fair enough. My experience (and people I know) are only T5. Maybe it depends on the salesperson.
Old 11 January 2019, 11:16 PM   #26
Left_at_the_lights
"TRF" Member

Or depends on the watch. Why bother for a DJ or OP. In fact I'm surprised they did itfor a TT Daytona - they aren't that hard to find...
Left_at_the_lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 01:10 AM   #27
zeeww
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left_at_the_lights View Post
Or depends on the watch. Why bother for a DJ or OP. In fact I'm surprised they did itfor a TT Daytona - they aren't that hard to find...
Absolutely agree. Although they didn’t hold the cards for my ExpII and a LN submariner that someone I knew bought at T5 recently.