The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 March 2021, 08:40 PM   #121
saxo3
"TRF" Member

A friend of mine says, philosophically, 'Nobody buys a Rolex to tell the time'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
And that IMO is exactly why things like the 32xx movement issue is not that well known, and (apparently) not very high up on Rolex's list of things to fix. If people don't even set the time on their Rolex, they will obviously never know (or even care) if it loses time.

For me this points to everything that's wrong with Rolex's image these days.
I agree: the 32xx problems are not at all well known and denied by many.

I disagree: it is high up on Rolex's list to solve but (nearly) nobody hears about progress.
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 09:09 PM   #122
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
I disagree: it is high up on Rolex's list to solve but (nearly) nobody hears about progress.
Maybe, and I truly hope so, but 6 years on from inception and the fact we're still seeing issues crop up doesn't strike me as much in the way of urgency. But yes, you're quite correct that we'll never know if/when it's sorted anyway.

It's just that on the 32xx issue thread we have 27-28% registering an issue and that's here on a watch forum where I assumed people would be WAY more likely to be interested in their watch's performance than the average Joe. But as we've seen in this thread, even here there are owners who couldn't care less about telling the time and so they won't even know there's a problem. Consequently outside of WIS-world where a Rolex is literally just a bracelet to "flex" (sorry, I can't stand that word!), then I can't imagine the numbers being reported to Rolex are anything like 30%. And if the numbers are less than say 10% (and again we'll never know), I just can't imagine Rolex being overly concerned. After all, they can sell everything they make 20 times over, so........

I hope I'm wrong and just being cynical.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 09:18 PM   #123
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
well, this is the unspoken word here in TRF.

everybody knows flexing is part of the reason of getting this brand.
but no one wants to admit it.
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 10:22 PM   #124
akop
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124300 / 124060 /
This is why the Air King is jus the perfect watch.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
akop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2021, 04:23 AM   #125
uhren917
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
your friend must have flunked Philosophy.

The time now according to my watch is 11:23 am PST.
uhren917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2021, 04:34 AM   #126
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
Welll...... I'm not sure I agree. If a Rolex DIDN'T tell time, I would not own one. A more accurate statement might be "Nobody buys a Rolex JUST to tell the time".

For me it's the functionality of my Rolexes that appeals to me. They are tools that I use every day. My GMT for travel since I use the multi-timezone feature, and my DJ for everyday use because it tells the time and date and is very comfortable.

Yes, I could get by with a cheaper watch, and I did for years, but I got tired of replacing them every two years because I'd end up beating the hell out of them because I'm hard on my watches. I love that Rolex not only tells the time, but I don't have to baby it. It's waterproof, don't take it off at the beach or pool and risk loosing it. It doesn't need batteries or to be charged at night like an Apple Watch. And unlike my phone (which keeps better time), my Rolex is always visible on my wrist, no fumbling to pull my phone out of my pocket.

Yeah, if I owned a Platinum Daytona then my argument would be invalid, but I don't. I wear a practical tool on my wrist, that does the job well and as a bonus is nice to look at and I'm proud to own.

-Dan
"Wear the watch, don't let the watch wear you!"
dchernikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2021, 07:10 AM   #127
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Pretty much echo what others have said.

I wear a Rolex to tell time, and drive a MBZ AMG to get me from Point A to Point B.

I appreciate fine mechanical precision and style of both to satisfy my utilitarian needs (and, in the case of the MBZ, appreciate the comfort and safety). Of course both are luxury items as well. While I’m not wealthy and need to work for a living, fortunately I’m in a financial position that allows me to have them. If I weren’t, I wouldn’t. I don’t have a lot of jewelry or fine artwork, I don’t own any Hermès scarves or bags, or any Chanel anything, and I fly coach. I’m careful with my money, and when I do spend it, I spend it on high quality things. I’ve worn my Rolex Yachtmaster nearly every day for 20 years, and it continues to serve me well, with precision.

I do expect my Rolex to tell the proper time, which I need on a daily basis. I also “need” the date feature. Years ago I visited the Rolex shop at the Las Vegas Wynn hotel, and a salesman told me that there are people who do wear Rolex watches just for show, and they come in with their watches not even wound to tell the correct time.

If a Rolex stopped telling accurate time, and somehow it couldn’t be fixed, I’d be done wearing it.

Also FWIW I wear my SS Rolex over my YG ladies’ President (6917) because, although the solid gold watch is more expensive (and instantly recognized as a Rolex, unlike my Yachtmaster), its 26mm size is really too tiny for me to see the time clearly (combined with its champagne dial), especially when I’m working. It’s a lovely “black tie event” watch, but because I do need to see the time, I don’t wear the gold Rolex (which does tell accurate time as well).
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2021, 07:57 AM   #128
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
The eternal argument. I bought my first Rolex (34mm OP)over 50 years ago when I was in the Army. I was a field soldier, beat the snot out of it and became a believer. After 13 of them, I'm still a believer. Best tool watch EVER! I currently wear a 42mm Explorer II with black dial. Highly legible and keeps time at +1 second per day. What else do you want or need?
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2021, 08:02 AM   #129
Paul7
Banned

Delete
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2021, 08:22 AM   #130
ROLEX MAN
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: you? "YES PLEASE"!
Oh, O.K. so Joe Biden wants to show of?

"WITH A DATEJUST"!

it's not just about telling the time...

happy rolexing...

I'm just a man with a passion
ROLEX MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2021, 11:44 AM   #131
LazySumday
"TRF" Member

I read this book once that had a passage that resonated with me. It was philosophical in nature and the passage was about a monk that swore off all worldy by possessions that evoked or stroked the ego.

On the one hand people like the monk might think it is virtuous to forgo something very nice, when something very plain would do. On the other hand, the passage made clear that the person swearing off wordly possessions clearly has an ego as well thinking that he or she is more virtuous since they make do without material goods.

Ah the end of the day, the most beautiful designs and materials all come form the ingenuity of men and women. We should be able to enjoy “nice” things. These things all come from the physical world, created by fellow humans.We only get so many spins around this rock any ways, wear your fuckign fancy watch if you want to.

It’s just a watch, should not make you feel better than someone else, but if it makes YOU feel good wearing one, do it if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LazySumday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2021, 09:04 PM   #132
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmasur View Post
Hmmm... perhaps as an illustration of not wearing a Rolex to tell time, I know of a “friend of a friend” (nudge nudge, wink wink) that continued to wear his DJ well after the watch broke and was in real need to get serviced. The watch was like this for years. He wore it because he liked that the watch was like jewelry for his wrist. However, he hated it when somebody asked for the time, only to have to explain why he looked at his mobile phone instead of his watch. Ha! At one point, he made a resolution to finally send the watch to the RSC and voila, it’s as good as new again. He has even rediscovered the convenience of having the time and date on the wrist once again. Anyways, this is extreme proof that buying a Rolex to tell the time is truly only a secondary reason at the most.
It says that about one person...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2021, 09:08 PM   #133
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akop View Post

"This" what?

Old 3 April 2021, 12:06 PM   #134
steveclr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggiamma View Post
and your friend is right from a philosophical point of view. However with the same philosophy one individual should not need to eat some nice food to live, nor drink a nice wine; one could achieve the purpouse of living by just being a rational being that thinks about life as a continuum of basic needs being satisfied in a rational way. However life is in most of cases made by small joyfull moments that make it meaningfull. There is no need for a Rolex, but many here maybe bought one ( or two) to celebrate special moments or achievements in life or for the simple fact that when they check the time on a nice watch something resonates to them. I do not blame all of us that appreciate nice objects and a nice life as long as it is well deserved as results of our hard earned money. enjoy.
This really resonates with me. Great post.
steveclr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 12:46 PM   #135
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:

Wait, why?

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 05:29 PM   #136
polarinda
"TRF" Member

Watch: it
Quote:
Originally Posted by challer View Post
All Rolex are jewelry.
this i agree.
except the 114270
polarinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2021, 04:46 PM   #137
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Y do you feel the need to signal your status??

Just saying how the human mind works for the average person in a group situation.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2021, 08:05 PM   #138
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
All Rolex are jewelry.
Have you seen the Yachtmaster II?

Old 6 April 2021, 09:11 PM   #139
cwill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
All Rolex are jewelry.
EXACTLY! if I want precise time I will look at my phone. My phone is not +- 2 seconds a day and I do not have to manually change the date each month. With that said, I do love my watches, but I do not trust them in critical circumstances.
cwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2021, 09:35 PM   #140
Speedsleev
"TRF" Member

Disagree completely. I've relied on the time on my watch for decades and it is a hard wired habit to look at it, even in the car or when I'm on my computer.

If I was at the point where I bought a Rolex to show off or a status symbol of some sort, its time take a hard look at myself. Yes, it can be associated with a mile marker of success or date of some sort but if its for any reason other than the love of the engineering etc, time for major self reflection because, where I live and the circles I roll, no one cares whatsoever other than trying to understand how stupid one must be to spend more than a few hundred on a good reliable watch.

Can't wait to see what comes out tomorrow, this is the only place I can say that because like I said, no one else cares.
Speedsleev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2021, 12:37 AM   #141
tirefryer
"TRF" Member

Watch: One on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedsleev View Post
Disagree completely. I've relied on the time on my watch for decades and it is a hard wired habit to look at it, even in the car or when I'm on my computer.

If I was at the point where I bought a Rolex to show off or a status symbol of some sort, its time take a hard look at myself. Yes, it can be associated with a mile marker of success or date of some sort but if its for any reason other than the love of the engineering etc, time for major self reflection because, where I live and the circles I roll, no one cares whatsoever other than trying to understand how stupid one must be to spend more than a few hundred on a good reliable watch.

Can't wait to see what comes out tomorrow, this is the only place I can say that because like I said, no one else cares.
Well said!

I, too, have a hard-wired habit of looking at my wrist for time even if I've got my phone in my hand or such. To me, it speaks of the golden age when men shook hands to close a deal, your word was your bond, when people heard your name (or family name) it was equated with character and integrity... Rolex, at least back in the days, embodied refinement and these qualities, while still keeping them affordable for all to enjoy.

The same reason, though writing utensils as ball points, gel pens, and a thousand different iterations can be found, I prefer to use a nicely balanced and weighted fountain ink pen for writing notes to family, friends or clients and signing documents - it requires me to slow down and be purposeful and mindful of at the task at hand, a vast difference from the lightning fast paced of our current world. Don't get me wrong, I still use a variety of pens/pencils in my daily work, however, there are times when it calls for the fountain pen.

Enough pontification and I will end with this: each of mine have a special connection to a memorable event, life event or person and as such, most every time I wear that watch, it will take me to appreciate that moment... while stealing a second to tell the time!
tirefryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 01:38 AM   #142
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazySumday View Post
I read this book once that had a passage that resonated with me. It was philosophical in nature and the passage was about a monk that swore off all worldy by possessions that evoked or stroked the ego.

On the one hand people like the monk might think it is virtuous to forgo something very nice, when something very plain would do. On the other hand, the passage made clear that the person swearing off wordly possessions clearly has an ego as well thinking that he or she is more virtuous since they make do without material goods.

Ah the end of the day, the most beautiful designs and materials all come form the ingenuity of men and women. We should be able to enjoy “nice” things. These things all come from the physical world, created by fellow humans.We only get so many spins around this rock any ways, wear your fuckign fancy watch if you want to.

It’s just a watch, should not make you feel better than someone else, but if it makes YOU feel good wearing one, do it if you can.

I love this, says it exactly. And since we're talking about monks, here's a quote from the scripture of my religious tradition that agrees:

"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." - Phil 4:8

That describes a Rolex to me! Think St. Paul owned one? ;-)

-Dan
"Wear the watch, don't let the watch wear you!"
dchernikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 01:46 AM   #143
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bruce View Post
My philosophy is that time is too precious to measure on a cheap watch.
This is a great post!
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 01:54 AM   #144
PureCoconut
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5711
Just checking back in on this dumpster fire...
PureCoconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 02:00 AM   #145
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirefryer View Post
Well said!

I, too, have a hard-wired habit of looking at my wrist for time even if I've got my phone in my hand or such. To me, it speaks of the golden age when men shook hands to close a deal, your word was your bond, when people heard your name (or family name) it was equated with character and integrity... Rolex, at least back in the days, embodied refinement and these qualities, while still keeping them affordable for all to enjoy.

The same reason, though writing utensils as ball points, gel pens, and a thousand different iterations can be found, I prefer to use a nicely balanced and weighted fountain ink pen for writing notes to family, friends or clients and signing documents - it requires me to slow down and be purposeful and mindful of at the task at hand, a vast difference from the lightning fast paced of our current world. Don't get me wrong, I still use a variety of pens/pencils in my daily work, however, there are times when it calls for the fountain pen.

Enough pontification and I will end with this: each of mine have a special connection to a memorable event, life event or person and as such, most every time I wear that watch, it will take me to appreciate that moment... while stealing a second to tell the time!
Love the fountain analogy, I was going to bring it up. FWIW, my Montblanc is selling for twice what I paid for it 30 years ago, sort of like a Rolex.
Old 9 April 2021, 02:02 AM   #146
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchernikoff View Post
I love this, says it exactly. And since we're talking about monks, here's a quote from the scripture of my religious tradition that agrees:

"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." - Phil 4:8

That describes a Rolex to me! Think St. Paul owned one? ;-)

-Dan

Beauty is a good in itself, if you appreciate and can afford a Rolex while at the same time being generous to other people and causes, why not?
Old 9 April 2021, 02:28 AM   #147
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post

Beauty is a good in itself, if you appreciate and can afford a Rolex while at the same time being generous to other people and causes, why not?

I’ve found every dollar I give comes back at least double one way or another. Completely agree, we all need to help those less fortunate than us. Thanks for making a point of that.

MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 02:40 AM   #148
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bruce
A friend of mine says, philosophically, 'Nobody buys a Rolex to tell the time'.
Your fine is 100% correct!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 02:56 AM   #149
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Even watch websites and companies themselves are moving away from this mindset. They know the longer they harp on time keeping, the quicker they kill this industry. It is now "art on your wrist."

Even Rolex is getting more and more adventurous with their dials, well going back to their old days in a way.

I use my Rolex to tell the time but I'm comfortable enough to accept that I didn't just buy a Rolex to tell the time.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 03:04 AM   #150
ommmjido
"TRF" Member

I don’t rely on my mechanical watches to tell time, it’s always my phone lol
ommmjido is offline   Reply With Quote