The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 January 2022, 12:40 PM   #31
arcampado
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
I have a lot better but I thought the simple red band would pull out the “Daytona” on the face. It was a artistic choice. I’ll take you up on the cigars though.
Haha love it! I was channeling my inner Mystro earlier lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 51B86602-FE98-40B8-BBF3-0651754349F4.jpeg (289.9 KB, 425 views)
File Type: jpeg 5932227D-2057-4241-9D2A-0A190A29CCB3.jpeg (285.2 KB, 419 views)
arcampado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2022, 12:42 PM   #32
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcampado View Post
Haha love it! I was channeling my inner Mystro earlier lol
Lookin good…….
Old 1 January 2022, 01:17 PM   #33
FLGatorM5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Growth stock. Paying for future hyp..Err growth.

Respectfully, of course.
FLGatorM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2022, 02:32 PM   #34
MAINEZX10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
I think the 116520 is under appreciated. If past is prologue, then all SS Daytonas will appreciate, and probably at a clip that exceeds inflation. Since the in-house, they’ve been tough to come by at ADs.

I agree with you about the 116520. With the 116520 being discontinued, I would think it would fetch a little more
MAINEZX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2022, 08:26 PM   #35
speedbird
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintMickey View Post
Let me guess your wanting to buy one at $37,000 and make money

When you lose your house I'll rent you a room...got three extra bedrooms.
Not quite, I am not an investor in watches. Not sure I would pay over retail by such a margin too.

This conversation was driven by an observation.

Congratulations on the excess accomodation and Happy 2022 !
speedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2022, 08:31 PM   #36
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbird View Post
Not quite, I am not an investor in watches. Not sure I would pay over retail by such a margin too.

This conversation was driven by an observation.

Congratulations on the excess accomodation and Happy 2022 !

Investor huh?
SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2022, 08:31 PM   #37
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I think it's overvalued at MSRP, never mind the market. But I'm not the market. The market will please itself.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2022, 08:47 PM   #38
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintMickey View Post
Let me guess your wanting to buy one at $37,000 and make money

When you lose your house I'll rent you a room...got three extra bedrooms.

In 5 years will reach 100k and todays price will be cheaper…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2022, 11:37 PM   #39
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexfanforlife View Post
If OP Tiffany’s are going for 35k, and 5711s/15202s are > 100k, a Daytona should certainly be way more. So I would say yes, given the crazy market, they are
Well said and pretty much where I land on this

I personally would never pay the kind of prices on the secondary market for one, but to some people it’s “worth it”.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 12:27 AM   #40
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I have no idea. I can tell you I’d hedge by buying a mint unpolished zenith 16520 if you want to play that game.
I agree!
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 12:33 AM   #41
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Based on other items in the market the Daytona is under valued. Where does it go? Who knows, except it will be up.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 12:37 AM   #42
Golfbone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachopc View Post
In 5 years will reach 100k and todays price will be cheaper…..

If you believe that then stock up. Lots of these on Chrono24. 30-35 K becoming 100K in 5 years is a great return.

I think it's possible but very unlikely that we will see a watch that's still in production and selling for under 14K be priced at 100K by aftermarket. The 5711 is no longer in production (except for limited special "encore" runs) while the Daytona is mass produced (relatively speaking)....Rolex makes over 10 thousand a year. If the Daytona were discontinued there would still be 10s of thousands of these pieces out there....but it's not discontinued and likely will not be. I think it's just as likely that prices will go down a bit as they will go up a significant amount. I think it's very reasonable to invest at AD list prices on a Daytona, a SS blue Sky D, an OP in desirable color etc. but at aftermarket prices I would not be so bold.
Golfbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 12:41 AM   #43
Anton911
Banned

Watch: Daytona,hulk
Bought two 116520’s 4 years ago for around 8k each,one a white panna dial and two 116500’s around 9 k each.Price of these now is mind blowing. Can’t see rising value stopping any time soon.
Look what happens when watches like the 116520 are discontinued.
Anton911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 01:12 AM   #44
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton911 View Post
Bought two 116520’s 4 years ago for around 8k each,one a white panna dial and two 116500’s around 9 k each.Price of these now is mind blowing. Can’t see rising value stopping any time soon.
Look what happens when watches like the 116520 are discontinued.

I bought grey 116500 as soon as they came out…….16k was the cheapest period….and retail was 12.4……..where did you get a few 116500 for 9k call bs
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 03:40 AM   #45
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbone View Post
If you believe that then stock up. Lots of these on Chrono24. 30-35 K becoming 100K in 5 years is a great return.

I think it's possible but very unlikely that we will see a watch that's still in production and selling for under 14K be priced at 100K by aftermarket. The 5711 is no longer in production (except for limited special "encore" runs) while the Daytona is mass produced (relatively speaking)....Rolex makes over 10 thousand a year. If the Daytona were discontinued there would still be 10s of thousands of these pieces out there....but it's not discontinued and likely will not be. I think it's just as likely that prices will go down a bit as they will go up a significant amount. I think it's very reasonable to invest at AD list prices on a Daytona, a SS blue Sky D, an OP in desirable color etc. but at aftermarket prices I would not be so bold.

I have already 2 !

nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 03:49 AM   #46
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Rolex, as a whole, is still comparatively undervalued compared to other top shelf passion assets. so to the moon with the Daytona-C!
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 03:51 AM   #47
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

I think Daytona prices will creep to 50K, not sure when but if things continue why not even higher?
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 04:54 AM   #48
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
All of the current Daytonas are overhyped. Even the past one broke no new ground. People don’t like to hear it, it outside of simply celebrity affiliation, it has 0 heritage. 0. As mark twain commented, to make a boy covet a thing, all one has to do it make it hard to attain. Hype almost has to positive connotation for what’s happing with the Daytona. Game stop comes to mind.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 04:57 AM   #49
malba2366
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbird View Post
Sounds crazy to say it. But this is likely the most iconic current model and given values of some other hyped models recently it does feel that the ceramic steel Daytona is relatively reasonable value on the grey market.

Can see it exceeding 50k before long and hence a good investment buy at current values.

Thoughts?
I wouldn't take the bet of buying a grey Daytona at the moment for investment purposes, nor would I do the same with a 5711 or RO at the moment. To me a $14,500 watch selling for $40,000 on the Grey Market is not a reasonable value or investment....plenty of better places to put my money. Remember that even if you buy the Daytona at $40,000K - it costs you minimum 20% to sell your watch so you don't break even unless it goes to $50K. Obviously if you can get it at retail it is a no brainer all day long.
malba2366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 04:57 AM   #50
karleone
"TRF" Member

The Daytona is overvalued on secondary market vs retail price. But the 15202 and 5711 that are steel sport watches without any complication are way more overvalued!
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 05:19 AM   #51
Anton911
Banned

Watch: Daytona,hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
I bought grey 116500 as soon as they came out…….16k was the cheapest period….and retail was 12.4……..where did you get a few 116500 for 9k call bs
For your information the 116500 was £9600 list in 2016 and was bought from a foreign country with other pieces for around 9k as I said.
Should get your facts straight before spouting off,fool.
Anton911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 05:32 AM   #52
rmwill
2024 Pledge Member

There is no such thing as an over or undervalued Rolex. A person can disagree with what the free market values a watch at, but that is not "over or undervalued".
Rolex Explorer II 226570 Polar
Omega Moonwatch Sapphire Sandwich
Panerai PAM00111

2 Factor Authentication
rmwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 06:55 AM   #53
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Daytona under valued?

Hmm, no. It and a good few other watches are overhyped and over priced. We are in a bizarre situation whereby a select group of watches has become so so popular that they have become a market all of their own.

I think that this is reflected in moves by brands to dampen some of the hype that is all but out of control and in some respects damaging the brand.

We will see what happens in the months and years ahead but I believe that some of the changes that have been proposed on the forum may get to see the light of day in the not too distant future.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 07:05 AM   #54
Golfbone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwill View Post
There is no such thing as an over or undervalued Rolex. A person can disagree with what the free market values a watch at, but that is not "over or undervalued".
I'm not sure I agree with this because I'm not one who always agrees with the free market. I mean....is a turquoise Patek 5711 worth 6.5million because some idiot with more money than he knows what to do with shelled out on a whim? Does that not drive up the price of the OP 41 Turquoise? But really....for how long? The free market on these things is rather capricious and I don't think there's a whole lot of logic or reason behind it. As such....impossible to predict. If half of us say it will go up and half of us say it will go down......half will be correct.
Golfbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 08:59 AM   #55
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Is the 116500 undervalued?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
outside of simply celebrity affiliation, it has 0 heritage. 0.
Zero heritage, eh?

There are pilot watches, diver watches, mountaineering watches, spelunking watches, and watches for many different activities and sports.

The Daytona is the de facto, iconic racing/motorsports watch. Please name me one racing/motorsports watch that is more revered than the Daytona?

Oh, and if you are going to say the Monaco because it was on Steve McQueen’s wrist during a racing movie … think again son.

So, what racing watch has more pedigree/heritage than the Daytona?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 09:24 AM   #56
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post
Zero heritage, eh?

There are pilot watches, diver watches, mountaineering watches, spelunking watches, and watches for many different activities and sports.

The Daytona is the de facto, iconic racing/motorsports watch. Please name me one racing/motorsports watch that is more revered than the Daytona?

Oh, and if you are going to say the Monaco because it was on Steve McQueen’s wrist during a racing movie … think again son.

How did it become the defacto racing watch. I may suggest you look into the monaco, which was one of the first auto chronos, or what was the watch that was the racing watch before the Daytona, um let me see. It’s called the Speedmaster. The monaco was one of the first automatic chronos ever made. Full stop son.

You say pedigree, so im assuming you mean not hype. The Speedmaster existed before the Daytona. Now, unlike the sub,gmt, navitimer that were tools used as tools to do a job, the Daytona is and was not used by the drivers. Rolex called the watch the Daytona and sponsors racing events.

The el primero, navitimer, chronomat, monaco, and seiko chrono are far more important watches. The Daytona is famous because the salad dressing guy. Sorry.

Old 2 January 2022, 09:27 AM   #57
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
How did it become the defacto racing watch. I may suggest you look into the monaco, which was one of the first auto chronos, or what was the watch that was the racing watch before the Daytona, um let me see. It’s called the Speedmaster. The monaco was one of the first automatic chronos ever made. Full stop son.

You say pedigree, so im assuming you mean not hype. The Speedmaster existed before the Daytona. Now, unlike the sub,gmt, navitimer that were tools used as tools to do a job, the Daytona is and was not used by the drivers. Rolex called the watch the Daytona and sponsors racing events.

The el primero, navitimer, chronomat, monaco, and seiko chrono are far more important watches. The Daytona is famous because the salad dressing guy. Sorry.

not disagreeing with you but the speedmaster is mostly known for being the moon watch, not so much a racing watch lol. i'm a fan of the daytona and would definitely pay a premium but nothing over low 20s imo. i disagree with people saying it's the most iconic rolex now though, that to me makes no sense
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 09:36 AM   #58
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
not disagreeing with you but the speedmaster is mostly known for being the moon watch, not so much a racing watch lol. i'm a fan of the daytona and would definitely pay a premium but nothing over low 20s imo. i disagree with people saying it's the most iconic rolex now though, that to me makes no sense

It is known for being the moon watch and I think folks forget the versatility of that watch and it’s history. In my estimation the sub/gmt and Date Just are their most iconic models.

Old 2 January 2022, 10:19 AM   #59
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post
Zero heritage, eh?

Here is heritage: heuer created the autiva in 1962 (year before the Daytona). They created the first board chronograph for cars in 1911, worlds first stop watch with 1/100 of a second capability…in 1916. 1933 heuer developed the first board watch for race cars and then with the first automatic chronograph the caliber 11. So, full mic drop in 3, 2, 1. That’s heritage.

Old 2 January 2022, 12:11 PM   #60
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Here is heritage: heuer created the autiva in 1962 (year before the Daytona). They created the first board chronograph for cars in 1911, worlds first stop watch with 1/100 of a second capability…in 1916. 1933 heuer developed the first board watch for race cars and then with the first automatic chronograph the caliber 11. So, full mic drop in 3, 2, 1. That’s heritage.

Chester none of that means anything. The Daytona is named after a nascar race. Can you top that? Checkmate yeeeeeeehaw