The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 25 January 2024, 11:33 AM   #1
Rogerusp
"TRF" Member

Do Patek Philippe boxes have serial numbers?

Do Patek Philippe boxes have serial numbers inside them?
Rogerusp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 11:35 AM   #2
Rogerusp
"TRF" Member

Also is it normal for the felt cover to fit like this? The other ones i saw the sides of the cover sit right at the edge of the box. This one looks a bit shorter on the sides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 January 2024, 11:55 AM   #3
Rogerusp
"TRF" Member

This is how i would expect the felt cover to fit

Old 25 January 2024, 12:33 PM   #4
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

I don't see a difference. Who did you buy the watch from?
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 12:36 PM   #5
Rogerusp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTuna View Post
I don't see a difference. Who did you buy the watch from?
A trusted seller. But the box had to be replaced because it came with a older box
Old 25 January 2024, 12:45 PM   #6
Rogerusp
"TRF" Member

A few more pics

Old 25 January 2024, 12:52 PM   #7
Rogerusp
"TRF" Member

Everything looks good except the fitting of felt cover and no serial number (i read in a couple of places that there is a serial number if you pull the inside insert (but no idea if this is true). I have no reason to doubt the seller but it is my first non AD purchase and i guess i am a bit paranoid. So any inputs would be helpful
Old 25 January 2024, 02:10 PM   #8
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Here’s mine. Different?

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 02:26 PM   #9
kb866
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15416CE
The general boxes are not tied with the watch. So if there is a serial number on the box, it's for the box itself and not related or linked with any said watch. Unless your watch is a very special edition watch (e.g. the cork box for 40th anniversary models), they all come in the same style box and are easily interchangeable. In the cases of perpetual calendars that come with other accessories (PP watch winder), they often give you a second box for the accessory that is packaged separately.

The pics of your box look fine. I assume the shading of the cover is a bit different because of the lighting conditions. Also, I've never been able to get the felt cover to fit perfectly. Perhaps I lack the patience because I have seen it done.
kb866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 06:46 PM   #10
Rogerusp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
Here’s mine. Different?

Maybe i am just being paranoid. Yours the sides align well with the box. Mine the top flip side is maybe 1/4 inch shorter than the box. Another pic below

Old 25 January 2024, 06:52 PM   #11
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Not sure if these boxes are serialized but some boxes have different compartments to house the additional caseback and push adjustors.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 07:53 PM   #12
Partekular
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t concern yourself about the box. If you are worried about authenticity of the watch then go with your gut and get it checked out.

The boxes are very dated, clunky, pretentious and go straight into the attic or cellar storage spaces. The current boxes appear to me to have appealed to a bygone market where I imagine some of the purchasers way back then used them for display or storage in their dressing rooms. I imagine Patek must have bought a massive discounted package of 60,000 x 5 years of boxes and are stuck in the past with them.

If you Google the old cork boxes which the Nautilus originally came in then that is what they ought to be using for marketing now. Patek need a whole new design input for their packaging.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 08:18 PM   #13
Rogerusp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb866 View Post
The general boxes are not tied with the watch. So if there is a serial number on the box, it's for the box itself and not related or linked with any said watch. Unless your watch is a very special edition watch (e.g. the cork box for 40th anniversary models), they all come in the same style box and are easily interchangeable. In the cases of perpetual calendars that come with other accessories (PP watch winder), they often give you a second box for the accessory that is packaged separately.

The pics of your box look fine. I assume the shading of the cover is a bit different because of the lighting conditions. Also, I've never been able to get the felt cover to fit perfectly. Perhaps I lack the patience because I have seen it done.

Pic showing what i mean. I found a few on ebay etc. again not sure

Old 26 January 2024, 12:03 AM   #14
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
I wouldn’t concern yourself about the box. If you are worried about authenticity of the watch then go with your gut and get it checked out.

The boxes are very dated, clunky, pretentious and go straight into the attic or cellar storage spaces. The current boxes appear to me to have appealed to a bygone market where I imagine some of the purchasers way back then used them for display or storage in their dressing rooms. I imagine Patek must have bought a massive discounted package of 60,000 x 5 years of boxes and are stuck in the past with them.

If you Google the old cork boxes which the Nautilus originally came in then that is what they ought to be using for marketing now. Patek need a whole new design input for their packaging.
As someone who spent a morning last weekend organizing my closet, I fully agree. The current PP boxes are a nuisance, but not the worst I’ve seen. By comparison, the Rolex boxes are models of efficiency, IMHO. OP, if I went grey I would expect that there’s a good chance that I got a genuine box, but one that did not come with the watch originally. That could have happened there.
SoylentGreenChi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2024, 12:21 AM   #15
Rogerusp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoylentGreenChi View Post
As someone who spent a morning last weekend organizing my closet, I fully agree. The current PP boxes are a nuisance, but not the worst I’ve seen. By comparison, the Rolex boxes are models of efficiency, IMHO. OP, if I went grey I would expect that there’s a good chance that I got a genuine box, but one that did not come with the watch originally. That could have happened there.
Thats what happened originally. It came with an old model box. So the box was replaced with a new one. Just thinking if down the road i decide to sell the watch and the box is no good that is not ideal. Again i have no reason to doubt the seller. I guess is just my nature. Super careful. I will measure it and see if it matches. Like i said the felt cover fits tight and doesn’t cover the box side to side fully. All other PP felt covers i saw do. Hence the worry

Really appreciate your input
Old 26 January 2024, 12:40 AM   #16
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

To me boxes / papers less important than watch but critical. Yes annoying to store, but part of the story and completeness of the watch. You box looks good. Cloth doesn’t seem to fit right. Maybe meant for different box

Let’s see pics of the watch.

Old 26 January 2024, 12:51 AM   #17
Rogerusp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To me boxes / papers less important than watch but critical. Yes annoying to store, but part of the story and completeness of the watch. You box looks good. Cloth doesn’t seem to fit right. Maybe meant for different box

Let’s see pics of the watch.

Thank you for your input. Watch is 100% got checked with a watchmaker I trust. Felt cover is the only thing bothering me and left me in doubt about the box itself. And then i read somewhere that boxes have serial number and hence my original question
Old 26 January 2024, 01:25 AM   #18
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

I’ll check my box today, I doubt they are serialized but like Rolex I bet they have model numbers

Old 26 January 2024, 01:38 AM   #19
Rogerusp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ll check my box today, I doubt they are serialized but like Rolex I bet they have model numbers

Thank you. Yeah. Model number maybe is the right term here. I looked into mine and couldn’t find anything
Old 26 January 2024, 04:06 AM   #20
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post

I agree. I much prefer a small rectangular wooden box which fits the watch and to actually store it in and not a "presentation" box.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2024, 04:19 AM   #21
Rogerusp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I agree. I much prefer a small rectangular wooden box which fits the watch and to actually store it in and not a "presentation" box.
Out of the “top” brands Vacheron makes the nicer boxes. I was surprised with the so so quality of PP box.
Old 26 January 2024, 06:40 AM   #22
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerusp View Post
A trusted seller. But the box had to be replaced because it came with a older box
What watch did you get and who did you buy it from? Lets see pics too
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2024, 07:08 AM   #23
Rogerusp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTuna View Post
What watch did you get and who did you buy it from? Lets see pics too
I don’t want to give names here since so far everything points to the box being fine. And if it is not i would like to give the person the opportunity to fix it (since i never mentioned anything). So i am just trying to gather opinions from the folks here before I do anything. I would never risk hurting someone’s reputation undeservedly.
Old 26 January 2024, 08:33 AM   #24
Rogerusp
"TRF" Member

Spoke to a Patek AD and he said that he doesn’t remember seeing any number in the wooden box insert itself. Only a sticker on the outer brown box that apparently ADs dont give anymore. He looked at the picture and said it looks good. The felt God knows what happened. Maybe is an older one from a smaller box. No idea.
Old 26 January 2024, 09:02 AM   #25
Rogerusp
"TRF" Member

Wooden box dimensions 23 CM x 15 CM x 10 CM
Outer box dimensions 25 CM x 17.25 CM x 13.25 CM

Approximately. This for the newest model box. Wooden box dimensions seems to match. Outer box i couldn’t find any information. If anyone could help with that information i would appreciate
Old 27 January 2024, 09:32 AM   #26
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Suggest letting it go and just enjoy the watch. In my opinion, as others have said, Patek should supply a nice small box just to hold the watch. I would throw my boxes out if I didn’t know some folks consider them of value.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 06:40 AM   #27
3orkham
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Maybe they have intern ref
3orkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 06:47 AM   #28
3orkham
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Maybe they have intern ref
3orkham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
box set , patek