The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 21 February 2023, 03:39 PM   #1
bmaier
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14790ba
Typical patek experience?

I went into patek a few years ago looking to get a watch. They told me they could not get me anything that is not in the cases at the current moment. Is that typical? I have one Patek and it’s my grandfathers that was passed down to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 February 2023, 06:15 PM   #2
Rushne
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: White 116500LN
How many years ago?

It’s kind of been like this since about, 2018? Someone can correct me if I’m wrong

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A
A. Lange & Söhne: 1815 Annual Calendar

@mechanicaltom Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2023, 07:06 PM   #3
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

It’s worse now. None of the display pieces are for sale, and some places don’t even have display pieces.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2023, 08:25 PM   #4
Partekular
"TRF" Member

I was told that the Ads are being forced to hold some stock in order to have something to show - but they cannot sell them unless they have received new stock as replacements. Probably to end the absurdity of large PP showrooms with not a watch to be seen in them!
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2023, 08:32 PM   #5
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Now the poor salespeople have been trained in ‘expectation management’ - ie you are such a nice person, now look at all these great watch photos! You have to be very special to be able to buy one. But I feel sure we can add a person like you to our list! We can’t be sure when new stock will arrive but when it does you will be on the list!!! Lucky special you!!!
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2023, 09:44 PM   #6
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
I was told that the Ads are being forced to hold some stock in order to have something to show - but they cannot sell them unless they have received new stock as replacements. Probably to end the absurdity of large PP showrooms with not a watch to be seen in them!
This is correct.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2023, 10:58 PM   #7
Smy404
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO OS
Quote:
My SA told me this same thing. They have couple in the case I would love to be offered to buy.
Smy404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2023, 11:27 PM   #8
londonpilgrim
"TRF" Member

18 months ago in London you could buy anything that wasn't a sports watch or a > 100k watch or a rare Grand Complication; perpetuals, Calatravas - now you can't buy anything off the street... not sure if it is a supply chain issue (pre-owned prices have slipped since then)
londonpilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2023, 12:28 AM   #9
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I am told they are holding sold stock in the cases for display. When I was in an AD all the watches in the case were actually sold to customers, but they could not collect their watches until more came in to take their place in the case. Are these crazy times in the watch market? When will things ever return to some semblance of normalcy?
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2023, 01:24 AM   #10
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Some of them purposely have locked movements. They are not proper watches.

People are hard to satisfy. When you go into a store with no watches, you can't try them on, and you don't know the watch you are waiting for 2 years, is actually the watch that looks good on your wrist.

You have the watches there, for display, for people to experience before commiting to any time of waiting, and people are upset for not being the special customer to take that watch home.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2023, 10:39 AM   #11
h.to
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
Some of them purposely have locked movements. They are not proper watches.

People are hard to satisfy. When you go into a store with no watches, you can't try them on, and you don't know the watch you are waiting for 2 years, is actually the watch that looks good on your wrist.

You have the watches there, for display, for people to experience before commiting to any time of waiting, and people are upset for not being the special customer to take that watch home.

I agree with what is said here. Double edged sword about having pieces in store as "Display Only".

With that said, my Patek experience varied with the AD. There is an AD in central where I initially wanted to start my Patek relationship. The watch I wanted to look at was sitting in the shop window. I asked to see it and the SA told me we can't touch it. I wasn't quite sure where to go from there. So I voted with my feet and tried another AD in Kowloon where they let me try on a plethora of watches on display. I expressed interest in 3 pieces and received my first Patek 3 weeks later (a humble 6119). Experience was good although there was some "salesman talk" to sift through but at least they saw me as a customer.
h.to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2023, 01:12 AM   #12
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of Patek

LJubel328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2023, 01:34 AM   #13
Vasco
"TRF" Member

Patek really is in a difficult situation. They have a strong demand and they don't have the watches. When facing a Salon, it's a very different experience. When facing ADs, you really find every kind of sellers: good (trusty) and bad ones (exploiting the situation). The bad experiences hurt Patek's image. I believe this is strongly weighing in the network changes we're witnessing.

I don't bother seeing watches in stores that are not available for purchase. I prefer being able to see them, try them than not being able to purchase one and not being able to see any in the mean time (because if the ones we see in the shwocases were for sale... there wouldn't be any in the first place).

There are products which you can see (furnitures for instance) but you have to order. I remember 10 years ago I didn't want to get a display model but wanted my AD to order a new one (at that time watches could have remained exposed for several months/years before finding a buyer).
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2023, 02:28 AM   #14
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaier View Post
I went into patek a few years ago looking to get a watch. They told me they could not get me anything that is not in the cases at the current moment. Is that typical? I have one Patek and it’s my grandfathers that was passed down to me.

Unfortunately, this has been true for many years now . Pretty much everything is a waitlist , not just at PP but at other top brands too. If you are interested in a new PP, make friends w the SA and have him/her add you to a list but expect wait times of years to many years to never (for ss sports) since you are starting a new relationship. Check in periodically to let them know of your continued interest. In the mean time, check out some other brands . Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2023, 04:55 AM   #15
bmaier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Unfortunately, this has been true for many years now . Pretty much everything is a waitlist , not just at PP but at other top brands too. If you are interested in a new PP, make friends w the SA and have him/her add you to a list but expect wait times of years to many years to never (for ss sports) since you are starting a new relationship. Check in periodically to let them know of your continued interest. In the mean time, check out some other brands . Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the advice! At the moment I love AP, they treat me very well. They got me a royal oak first time I contacted them in 2020. They then got me a 50th anniversary royal oak as well. My SA/boutique now have a client for life and seeing that I’m 26, they have a client who will most likely buy a lot of pieces from them in the future as I’m still pretty going. Also going to the AP hotel this year. Very loyal to them, but I have the itch for another Patek.

I guess I say all that to say sometime I feel like some brands need to serve the younger audience who will buy with them for years to come rather than older clients who have already had their shot. Ap does this very well. They understand the next (younger) generation is important to survival.

Old 24 February 2023, 08:27 AM   #16
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I think older clients with a lot of pieces should be highly coveted by watchmakers due to their experience, knowledge, and greater access to funds.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2023, 08:53 AM   #17
mitchie41
"TRF" Member

Watch "sold"?

I've been told every now and then at PP ADs (and other non-PP ADs) that a watch in the case has been "Sold" already to a client and I never really knew what to make of it.

Sometimes they showed me the watch. Sometimes they didn't.

Are there really watches sitting in display cases that have been paid in full by a client and the AD keeps them on display until the client drops by to pick them up? And they even let other customers try them on?

I always assumed these pieces are for sale, but only to VIPs, etc.
mitchie41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2023, 09:47 AM   #18
codecow
"TRF" Member

When I got my 5712 it was kind of in the case, but it was only for sale to a list of people. I knew about it because an acquaintance of mine who was an even better customer already passed on it.

Generally if a watch is sold I’d be surprised if it was in the case. I have handled watches (in the box) that were ordered for other customers if it was something rare but that’s not in the case it’s still in the packaging.
Old 24 February 2023, 11:16 AM   #19
Smy404
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was at the AD today and I was told these (not in those words) pieces in the case were already allocated and once (hopefully my 5968 is in there) the next allocation arrives, they will swap out. And then I have to wait till the next batch comes before I get mine.

But who knows. The wait is all part of watch collecting. If I could buy every watch I wanted every time, I would be in the red. New ones come out every year.
Old 24 February 2023, 11:42 AM   #20
Tachycardia
"TRF" Member

The real question is if someone here has bought the watch and were told it has to sit in case. And if so how long

Of if it is the other scenario. These are only available to vvvip clients and just everyone else is told it’s “sold” therefore people walking by can’t try them on or buy?

For these display pieces, are ADs letting people try them on? Kinda like Rolex AD exhibition pieces
Tachycardia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2023, 12:17 PM   #21
Smy404
"TRF" Member

The SA did hand me the 5990 but I just looked it and gave it back. Already allocated to someone.
Old 25 February 2023, 12:27 AM   #22
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
Are Calatrava's available these days? I have been out of the loop.
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2023, 01:33 AM   #23
Smy404
"TRF" Member

Mine has a R in the case but it could be spoken for.
Old 25 February 2023, 04:15 AM   #24
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Let's be honest, whether real or manufactured, the hot watches are impossible to get whether you are talking Rolex, AP, Vacheron, or Patek, even ALS.

BUT, not all Pateks command a premium in the secondary markets. ALS is the same. It depends on the model.

Look around and you will see many many models at below retail in the used/secondary market.

Frankly, if I can avoid the "AD experience", which sadly is not really the feel good experience it used to be, I will do it. If I can get a discount on the watch I really want with no wait, even better.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2023, 04:20 AM   #25
bmaier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
Let's be honest, whether real or manufactured, the hot watches are impossible to get whether you are talking Rolex, AP, Vacheron, or Patek, even ALS.

BUT, not all Pateks command a premium in the secondary markets. ALS is the same. It depends on the model.

Look around and you will see many many models at below retail in the used/secondary market.

Frankly, if I can avoid the "AD experience", which sadly is not really the feel good experience it used to be, I will do it. If I can get a discount on the watch I really want with no wait, even better.

Fair. However, I want to build a relationship with an AD so I don’t have to buy secondary all the time. And even the calatrava I want is selling above retail…

Old 25 February 2023, 06:02 AM   #26
bmaier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
I think older clients with a lot of pieces should be highly coveted by watchmakers due to their experience, knowledge, and greater access to funds.
Not at the expense at a younger person with passion, knowledge, and spending power who have a long buying trajectory ahead of them.
Old 25 February 2023, 06:56 AM   #27
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovannibravo View Post
Are Calatrava's available these days? I have been out of the loop.
Not really, no.
Old 25 February 2023, 07:21 AM   #28
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykii View Post
Not really, no.
That's really sad. This is the entry level piece into high horology. I hope to purchase on in the next few years. Hopefully things change.
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2023, 07:22 AM   #29
bmaier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovannibravo View Post
That's really sad. This is the entry level piece into high horology. I hope to purchase on in the next few years. Hopefully things change.

It’s dumb. Thierry stern has repeatedly spoken about calatravas and aquanauts being entry level pieces and they’re nothing of the sort. It’s lame.

Old 25 February 2023, 12:53 PM   #30
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaier View Post
It’s dumb. Thierry stern has repeatedly spoken about calatravas and aquanauts being entry level pieces and they’re nothing of the sort. It’s lame.

A good entry level is a used perpetual calendar IMO.