The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 7 March 2023, 06:25 PM   #1
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Deciding on a 2nd Patek

I got my first Patek, a 5205g-013 last week from an AD I got introduced to after a 2 1/2 month wait. I'm really thrilled with the piece and amazed at the elegance of Patek. I haven't taken it off the wrist. lol.

I'm new to the brand and just don't know enough about the different references other than reading through threads and watching Youtube videos.

I'm starting to do a deep dive into the brand and looking to build a collection in the coming years. I spoke with my AD today about my fascination with the brand and what I should be looking at next to add to the collection all the while building a stronger relationship with him. He has been super transparent and upfront on what is possible and when. I really appreciate his approach and see myself purchasing many watches from him for many years to come.

I was given some reference numbers to consider that would be possible this year of which these two references sparked my interest. 5230P-001 Worldtimer and the 5235/50R-001 Regulator.

I was able to find some threads about the 5235, but not much on the 5230. I figured the 5230P is a new release and not much is out there yet. I would love to hear from others who may own these references on how they wear. From some videos I've seen the 5235 seems to wear a little bigger than the dial size might suggest?

I think both complications are pretty cool and would bring some diversity to my collection. If given a choice, which would you choose and why?

Any input is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg [email protected] (33.8 KB, 798 views)
File Type: jpg [email protected] (30.8 KB, 793 views)
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2023, 06:54 PM   #2
anx21
"TRF" Member

Big congrats on the 5205. If you are buying pieces through an AD and building up a profile, I imagine you’ll eventually want to apply for an enamel world time. In that case, 5230P might become a redundant piece (I turned down a 5930 for this reason). Just something to consider, unless you see yourself having multiple world times in a rotation
anx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2023, 07:21 PM   #3
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Personally I'm not crazy about world timers so I would go for the 5235. The annual calendar regulator is more interesting to me and it's one of the few watches from Patek's advanced research division.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2023, 07:51 PM   #4
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Since you already have the annual calendar, I'd say, go for the 5230p.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2023, 09:05 PM   #5
Parapraxis
"TRF" Member

It's good you have an AD who is transparent. But if you're going to buy a bunch of watches from them, you should be transparent too and tell them right now what your goal watch is. No point buying 5 pateks and then when you tell them which dream patek you want, they make you buy another 5. Have some vision and direction in your purchasing is what I'm saying, take a step back and envision what the greater collection should be and work towards that. Rather than thinking about them one by one.
Parapraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2023, 09:06 PM   #6
Vasco
"TRF" Member

I think you have undertaken the right path in taking time to read and watch about watches. Most of us have followed that process. You can be certain that in the first months/years your tastes and interests will evolve quite significantly.

Maybe you'll have to aim at a more long term goal because buying only among the available references for sale at the AD isn't always the perfect choice. There are discontinued watches (like a 5235G) and there will be future novelties that might correspond better to what you want/like. If you want to get for instance a 5231 one day or a Nautilus or any hard-to-get piece, you may need to stick to an AD's offer. But otherwise, you may also consider "like new" grey offers.

Browsing what existed and the current offer is a good way to see a little better what you really want. A little piece of advice, always see the watch in the metal to judge.

Back to your question, the 5235 is a great watch to consider, quite unique on the mechanical side (you can have a look here https://www.hightime-reviews.com/pat...-and-pictures/). A rose gold watch is very different in the spirit. The 31-260 movement is the nicest automatic one in their catalogue (aside minute-repeaters of course).

However, the 5230P is quite special indeed. Because of the Pt material that holds a different place in a collection and how this model works in terms of color coherence.

You should maybe select one now but definitely keep making your list evolve continuously.

Enjoy your journey :)
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2023, 09:18 PM   #7
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

5205 is gorgeous and I think any variant of a PP WT would be a great pairing.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2023, 11:25 PM   #8
ts3
"TRF" Member

I'd go 5230P by a mile.

The WT is a classic Patek complication and an area where Patek stands out (maybe together with Andersen Geneve). Also the P is the prettiest 5230 in my eyes. The guilloche pattern of the G and R wasn't for me (neither the grey color nor the pattern itself). Personally I'd be torn between 5230P and 5110P though but the latter is no option if you want to buy new from AD.

At the same time I am neither a big fan of regulator watches nor of Patek's ACs. For a calendar complication I'd go 3940 but you just got an AC anyway.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 12:19 AM   #9
Armis
"TRF" Member

A Patek WT is a cornerstone of any PP collection, and this modern version is well executed…plus being platinum. Great addition.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 12:42 AM   #10
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

I don't have any concrete suggestions (other than perhaps a chronograph (ref. 5172, blue dial, if still available?)), but unless this is some sort of quid pro quo for a grail Patek, buy what you want not what your AD wants to sell you. That may seem obvious, but many seem to fall into the role of taking what the AD offers rather than waiting for a piece they really want.

As to the 5320P -- cool watch, very dressy, doesn't do daylight savings time (if that matters to you). Platinum PPs always seem to be viewed as special, but you sure pay for that specialness.

The Regulator? Really cool movement, but I've never liked the time readout on regulator dials. It seems compromised to me and unnecessary (cf. to large clock regulators where visibility was an issue, which I believe is the reason for the regulator layout).

All that notwithstanding, you like what you like...these are merely my own preferences.

Take your time and enjoy the journey; and in the meantime, enjoy your great 5205 for a while.
vitalsigns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 12:56 AM   #11
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Get the 5230P. It's a spectacular release and I wish I have it. That's such an eye candy.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 02:53 AM   #12
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anx21 View Post
Big congrats on the 5205. If you are buying pieces through an AD and building up a profile, I imagine you’ll eventually want to apply for an enamel world time. In that case, 5230P might become a redundant piece (I turned down a 5930 for this reason). Just something to consider, unless you see yourself having multiple world times in a rotation
The enamel WT is not something I'm interested in. It could just be that I haven't come around to appreciating it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtButt View Post
Personally I'm not crazy about world timers so I would go for the 5235. The annual calendar regulator is more interesting to me and it's one of the few watches from Patek's advanced research division.
Thanks for the input. I didn't realize the advanced research division part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
Since you already have the annual calendar, I'd say, go for the 5230p.
Thanks for the input Don.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
I think you have undertaken the right path in taking time to read and watch about watches. Most of us have followed that process. You can be certain that in the first months/years your tastes and interests will evolve quite significantly.

Maybe you'll have to aim at a more long term goal because buying only among the available references for sale at the AD isn't always the perfect choice. There are discontinued watches (like a 5235G) and there will be future novelties that might correspond better to what you want/like. If you want to get for instance a 5231 one day or a Nautilus or any hard-to-get piece, you may need to stick to an AD's offer. But otherwise, you may also consider "like new" grey offers.

Browsing what existed and the current offer is a good way to see a little better what you really want. A little piece of advice, always see the watch in the metal to judge.

Back to your question, the 5235 is a great watch to consider, quite unique on the mechanical side (you can have a look here https://www.hightime-reviews.com/pat...-and-pictures/). A rose gold watch is very different in the spirit. The 31-260 movement is the nicest automatic one in their catalogue (aside minute-repeaters of course).

However, the 5230P is quite special indeed. Because of the Pt material that holds a different place in a collection and how this model works in terms of color coherence.

You should maybe select one now but definitely keep making your list evolve continuously.

Enjoy your journey :)
Thanks for your input. I've been collecting for a long time and my taste has evolved for sure over the years. What I'm looking to do is establish a relationship with a brand and build up a profile to be able to obtain special pieces like I do with AP. I realize that journey will take time and many purchases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
I'd go 5230P by a mile.

The WT is a classic Patek complication and an area where Patek stands out (maybe together with Andersen Geneve). Also the P is the prettiest 5230 in my eyes. The guilloche pattern of the G and R wasn't for me (neither the grey color nor the pattern itself). Personally I'd be torn between 5230P and 5110P though but the latter is no option if you want to buy new from AD.

At the same time I am neither a big fan of regulator watches nor of Patek's ACs. For a calendar complication I'd go 3940 but you just got an AC anyway.
Thanks for your input. I agree the G and R versions never really had me. The P however has my interest now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalsigns View Post
I don't have any concrete suggestions (other than perhaps a chronograph (ref. 5172, blue dial, if still available?)), but unless this is some sort of quid pro quo for a grail Patek, buy what you want not what your AD wants to sell you. That may seem obvious, but many seem to fall into the role of taking what the AD offers rather than waiting for a piece they really want.

As to the 5320P -- cool watch, very dressy, doesn't do daylight savings time (if that matters to you). Platinum PPs always seem to be viewed as special, but you sure pay for that specialness.

The Regulator? Really cool movement, but I've never liked the time readout on regulator dials. It seems compromised to me and unnecessary (cf. to large clock regulators where visibility was an issue, which I believe is the reason for the regulator layout).

All that notwithstanding, you like what you like...these are merely my own preferences.

Take your time and enjoy the journey; and in the meantime, enjoy your great 5205 for a while.

Thanks for the input. I won't be buying everything my AD serves up for sure. I'm looking to build a collection of pieces that I can enjoy while working towards some grail pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Get the 5230P. It's a spectacular release and I wish I have it. That's such an eye candy.

Eye candy for sure. I just wish I could see it in person or at least some good wrist shots in different lighting.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
Old 8 March 2023, 03:11 AM   #13
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parapraxis View Post
It's good you have an AD who is transparent. But if you're going to buy a bunch of watches from them, you should be transparent too and tell them right now what your goal watch is. No point buying 5 pateks and then when you tell them which dream patek you want, they make you buy another 5. Have some vision and direction in your purchasing is what I'm saying, take a step back and envision what the greater collection should be and work towards that. Rather than thinking about them one by one.

Yeah, I hear ya. I've been in this game a long time. My AD knows what my end goal is and I've been very clear on that. What he is laying out for me is a path with possible references over time that will help me to where I want to go. It's up to me to decide which pieces I like and ask for references I have interest in. At the end of the day, it's about spend and relationship that gets to the grail pieces and I fully understand that. He's a friend of a good friend of mine and I'm confident he won't play games. He's been super professional, responsive and transparent and I appreciate that considering my prior PP AD experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
5205 is gorgeous and I think any variant of a PP WT would be a great pairing.

Thanks my friend. I appreciate your input.
Old 8 March 2023, 04:22 AM   #14
dauster
"TRF" Member

personally I love the new platinum WT, especially since it comes on a more casual blue strap.

I do like the regulator but can never really can convince myself to pay retail of over $60k USD with tax. If anything, I do prefer the RG regulator and would buy it at a a steep discount if I ever saw it at in my ADs pre-owned section.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 04:52 AM   #15
AHG
"TRF" Member

5230P for sure. I have a 5230G and can attest to how beautifully it sits on the wrist. Its lugs are gorgeous and harken to the 2523 lugs. The WT watches are not hyped but, in my opinion, represent an elegant and romantic complication. I haven't seen the Platinum in person but I'm a sucker for blue dials.
AHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 05:21 AM   #16
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
I would add a world timer out of those two. The other is just a hard to read annual calendar with a sick movement. I don’t know about you but the more watches I get, the more I gravitate to the simple time only versions when I want to wear something new.
Best of luck on your Patek journey. If you do as well with Patek as you’ve done with AP and Rolex, you’ll eventually get the really good stuff.
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 05:28 AM   #17
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

I’d go with the 5235R. The 5230 is one of many worldtimers that Patek does, and has done. The 5235 is unique, has a much more beautiful movement that benefits from some of the great work by the AR department and has these lovely lugs you won’t find anywhere else. It will also be quite a bit cheaper while still getting you towards that grail piece.
ChetBaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 04:44 PM   #18
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Agree with ChetBaker, I would go with the 5235 in a heartbeat. Tremendous watch for the price, I think it is the best watch Patek makes under 70-80k. The world timer has seen many iterations throughout the years and will continue to do so, while the regulator is very unique in the catalogue.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 07:14 PM   #19
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
Yeah, I hear ya. I've been in this game a long time. My AD knows what my end goal is and I've been very clear on that. What he is laying out for me is a path with possible references over time that will help me to where I want to go. It's up to me to decide which pieces I like and ask for references I have interest in. At the end of the day, it's about spend and relationship that gets to the grail pieces and I fully understand that. He's a friend of a good friend of mine and I'm confident he won't play games. He's been super professional, responsive and transparent and I appreciate that considering my prior PP AD experiences.
What is your end goal? Is it a Nautilius/sports? Or an application piece?
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2023, 01:52 AM   #20
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
What is your end goal? Is it a Nautilius/sports? Or an application piece?

At some point, pieces like a 5712/1a, 5990/1a, and 5270p.
Old 9 March 2023, 03:12 AM   #21
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Serious suggestion, hope on plane, go to a Geneva for Patek museum. Good assortment of styling to see what sings to you. Then hop in car to see AP museum, because let’s admit it, that museum will be more fun. On transfer flight back from London, take long layover to go into the city to see more example from gray market dealers.

Bottom line, I find looking through photos much less useful to decide on style vs seeing real pieces. Or an aqua or one of the new calatravas is always a safe choice!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2023, 04:36 AM   #22
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Out of those 2, I would get the 5230p. I had a 5230g and really liked it. It wore nicely on my small wrist and was comfy. I tried on the 5230p couple of months back and it was super nice. I’d love to get one but I have other pieces to get first.

I find the 5235g nicer than the r version. I like the color scheme better.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2023, 05:41 AM   #23
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Between those two, 5230 for me, and it wouldn’t be a hard decision.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2023, 07:47 AM   #24
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Serious suggestion, hope on plane, go to a Geneva for Patek museum. Good assortment of styling to see what sings to you. Then hop in car to see AP museum, because let’s admit it, that museum will be more fun. On transfer flight back from London, take long layover to go into the city to see more example from gray market dealers.

Bottom line, I find looking through photos much less useful to decide on style vs seeing real pieces. Or an aqua or one of the new calatravas is always a safe choice!

I agree with your suggestion. We did a Geneva trip before COVID and got to look at all the pieces I was interested in at that time at the Patek boutique, but not the WT and Regulator. The staff was fantastic. We also did a tour with Laurent Ferrier and got to polish some pieces with the watchmakers and that was super cool.

I do plan on doing another trip in the future to visit both museums and also stay at the AP hotel.
Old 9 March 2023, 10:17 AM   #25
Vasco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
We also did a tour with Laurent Ferrier and got to polish some pieces with the watchmakers and that was super cool.
LF makes so beautiful and elegant watches, that must have been a nice experience :)
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2023, 11:20 AM   #26
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
5230p by a wide margin if I was picking between the two. WT is classic Patek and they went back to the classic formula aesthetically for this one.
Old 9 March 2023, 01:04 PM   #27
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
This thread needs a wrist pic in the sun.

IMG_20230309_110343_(800_x_1080_pixel).jpg
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2023, 02:48 PM   #28
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Or a close cousin, the 5930?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2023, 04:01 PM   #29
anx21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
Sadly it has been discontinued
anx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2023, 04:39 PM   #30
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
5230p by a wide margin if I was picking between the two. WT is classic Patek and they went back to the classic formula aesthetically for this one.
Thanks , your input carries a lot of weight for sure.

Attachment 1353264[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lovely piece!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
LF makes so beautiful and elegant watches, that must have been a nice experience :)

Yes, it was a great experience. At that time, the entire organization had 4 watchmakers. I don't know how many they have now. Once I get a decent PP collection under my belt, the next stage of my collecting journey will be into independents like LF and FPJ. Luckily, my PP AD is also an LF dealer, so that should work out well.