The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 1 June 2023, 12:31 PM   #1
SolanaWatches
2024 Pledge Member

Icon3 Watch photography tips?

For the past few days, I’ve been looking into amping up my watch photography game. I’ve watched a bunch of YouTube videos on product photography, bought softbox lighting, reflectors, even a Lightbox along with other accessories. I then spent hours shooting hundreds of photos of a watch under different angles, different lighting conditions, etc.

Fast forward 3 days later, and I wasn’t happy with any of the results. Sure, some of them turned out good, but none of them really wowed me.

And then I thought, what about trying to take some photos outside? Because it was overcast, I figured the lighting condition would be perfect (something I had learned from one of the YouTube videos I watched).

These are the results after spending a few minutes in the backyard, placing the watch on the wooden fence.

Note that all photos were taken with an iPhone 14 Pro and were minimally retouched, using the Photos app. Nothing fancy, just some tweak to brightness and exposure.

There is something dramatic about these photos. The light hits right, the sky is very dramatic, and the wood seems to tie it all together.

I’m not coming here to show off, especially because I’m ready to bet this watch that there are heaps of photography enthusiasts in here. I am merely documenting my progress.

More importantly, I’m wondering if any of you have tips to photograph watches, especially using a mobile phone.

I’ve watched every YouTube video and read every blog post on the topic out there, but nothing really clicked. Maybe I just don’t have the eye of a photographer to begin with?

So any watch photography tips you can share?

SolanaWatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 12:54 PM   #2
Sglider
"TRF" Member

photographing watches is no different than photographing any other object

soft light, north facing windows, overcast skies, painting with light, etc.

Learn photography by lighting a sphere. Then you will achieve success.
Sglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 01:47 PM   #3
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Nice photos. My favourite thing you have going on is the brushed steel with the textured wood grain.

I’m no photographer so don’t dare critique except to say maybe play with the focal length in some, to make the bokeh less full on? I am interested in learning more too. There are some great photographers here, so hopefully we can glean some tips. But I like what you have posted up.
White Collar Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 09:42 PM   #4
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Don't kid yourself, we're all here to show off.

As you've discovered, lots of natural light, the right angles, and interesting or neutral backdrops. Then, practice, practice, practice. It ain't the camera, it's the photographer.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone , photography