The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 11 April 2023, 01:12 AM   #61
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
For a few months I would eat healthy fats. No low fat anything or sugar. Nothing white or processed. It turns out new research puts into question a lot of which was assumed to be true from the 1950's. New research show eggs like other healthy fats reduce the bad cholesterol and the overall numbers. Scientists in the 1950s really just assumed eating any fat dumped it into the bloodstream, made sense right. Animals in the wild eat other animals raw, fat and all and they have normal fats levels in their blood, yet feed animals' grass and hay and they fatten right up. It's an interesting topic and there is so much new information out there to research and consider.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2023, 02:46 AM   #62
philipgv
"TRF" Member

I've been on statins for ca 20 plus years. Never had any trouble or side effects. Could not get my cholesterol down with a vigorous diet and have a high risk since my father was a heart patient. Happy to have a good cholesterol level and be able to enjoy food!!
philipgv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2023, 11:29 AM   #63
Rbdport
"TRF" Member

I have familial hypercholesterolemia. My total cholesterol has been well above 200 since I was first tested in my 20s. I refused statins for a good 20 years but as I hit menopause my numbers kept rising. I tried 4 different statins and while they slightly lowered my cholesterol I had terrible myalgias and severe weakness in the quads, gastrocs, gluts and triceps. I’m a cardiac PT. I was eventually referred to the Lipid Clinic at Boston Medical. Full work up, including cath, revealed that despite my shockingly high numbers, I have no cardiac disease. I’m on Repatha now…have been for about 6 years (no statin). My numbers are about half what they are untreated but I’m still well over 200 total cholesterol. I live in FL now. I have a good cardiology team here but they still recommend I see the Lipid Clinic team in Boston every 12-18 months. And for the record, in the last 5 generations on both my maternal and paternal side I’ve had exactly 3 family members die before 100 years of age…my maternal grandfather who drank himself to death at 77, my paternal grandmother who died of metastatic colon cancer at 90 and my father who died at 80 from agent orange induced leukemia. Genetics can be a good thing or a bad thing.
Old 31 May 2023, 12:26 AM   #64
JSol1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Well I’m about to join the club. I’ve had slightly elevated panels for about 10 years and diet and exercise definitely helped keep me on the cusp, but after having a conversation with my Dr we both agreed it was time.
Going to start a 5mg dose of generic Crestor around June 5th. I have a dental procedure coming up and want to be clear of antibiotics etc so I can gauge how I react.
One question for those on Statins, it is now recommended to take them at night although taking them at the same time is most important, what have you found to be the ideal time of day?
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 10:18 AM   #65
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
I’ve been on 40 mg. Of Atorvastatin for quite awhile, with no adverse side effects. I do take CoQ10 every day, and Krill oil, both of which I decided to do, on my own. As a retired RN, I know a thing or two about Cardiac medicine. I also work out daily, and try to watch what I eat, but that last part isn’t always easy.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 10:22 AM   #66
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSol1 View Post
Well I’m about to join the club. I’ve had slightly elevated panels for about 10 years and diet and exercise definitely helped keep me on the cusp, but after having a conversation with my Dr we both agreed it was time.
Going to start a 5mg dose of generic Crestor around June 5th. I have a dental procedure coming up and want to be clear of antibiotics etc so I can gauge how I react.
One question for those on Statins, it is now recommended to take them at night although taking them at the same time is most important, what have you found to be the ideal time of day?

Once a day, doesn’t matter when. I also have read that most folks take it at night. I asked my doctor about it, and he said it didn’t matter what time. Just be consistent.

Kat

KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 10:36 AM   #67
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Since you all are driving my hyphocondrianism (is that a word? ) to new levels, I have another story for you. First, and foremost, those of you that have had heart attacks or other issues, I sincerely wish all of you a happy and healthy future

My parents had five (count em, 5!) heart attacks between them. I was about four when my father had is second. I remember the ambulance coming to the house, it was very traumatic; he was 45.

When I turned 45, I started having panic attacks. I had no idea what they even were, no clue as to WHY they were happening. Me?! Have anxiety?! I flew 38 missions over Iraq during Desert Storm, what do I have to be afraid of. Finally, I am not ashamed to admit I needed help and saw a psychiatrist. First question he asked was to tell him about my childhood. I thought it was rather cliche but the first words out of my mouth were about my Dad’s second heart attack. He looks at my record and says: “He was 45? And you just turned 45?” Then he just stared at me. OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH… NOW I get it.

The subconscious mind is a powerful controller.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 01:38 PM   #68
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Cholesterol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Once a day, doesn’t matter when. I also have read that most folks take it at night. I asked my doctor about it, and he said it didn’t matter what time. Just be consistent.

Kat

Yeah, I take mine at night right after I brush my teeth. It’s my nightly ritual, but I think I read somewhere that it’s best to take statins at night. I suppose a Google search can answer this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 09:53 PM   #69
JSol1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post

Kat

Thanks Kat, this was my Dr said as well. The research shows that night is most impactful but consistency is most important. I also work out daily and eat healthy without depriving myself of guilty pleasures occasionally (well except for Ice Cream which is more than I’d like to admit).
I’ve been thinking through my lifestyle and trying to figure out the most logical time of time to start.
I’m the type of person who’s always considering ‘ideal’ with this kind of stuff, but don’t want that to get in the way of consistency
Old 31 May 2023, 09:54 PM   #70
JSol1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
Yeah, I take mine at night right after I brush my teeth. It’s my nightly ritual, but I think I read somewhere that it’s best to take statins at night. I suppose a Google search can answer this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks…this is the time of day I’m leaning toward as well.
Old 4 June 2023, 05:58 AM   #71
erhein
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
Anyone here been told they should start taking Statins because of a "blood test indicating high cholesterol?"

I've just been reading about possible 'side effects'...(probably a mistake).

I realise the side effects of high cholesterol, could be more worrying, but....
I'm 74 and not keen on taking more meds than really necessary.

Thoughts/experiences anyone?
Steve--May suggest you read this as a starting point. Then, of course, discuss it with your doctor. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...-calcium-score