The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 March 2018, 11:21 PM   #31
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
41mm, 22mm BB may very well be a market test for appetite for next Sub cases. Consider Tudor, and the Rest of Rolex’s Diver line, it would be strange for the Sub to sit lonely at 40/20
I hope you're right, but it seems to me they like to keep Rolex and Tudor from competing against one another. Having the Black Bay at 41mm with a 22mm bracelet helps it stand out from the Sub. If they were the same size folks would pick one or the other. This way maybe they get both!

Drives me and my >7" wrist absolutely crazy that (to me) the Sub is too small and the Deep Sea/Sea Dweller too big, but nothing in between in the Rolex Sub/GMT lineup
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2018, 02:03 AM   #32
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Interesting. I haven't seen a tall F on the 114060 or 116610lv until late last year. All dials that I've run across up until then have had short Fs. Images on rolex.com all show short Fs as of this post. Maybe it's just the LN that has had tall Fs?
From what I've noticed over the years, it seems the LNs used to be more likely to have the fatter font and numerals, while taller ft dials were on Hulks. At least at initial launch. Haven't payed close attention to the 13lb though, so can't speak to them other than Sunburst dial switch. Since then, it's been a mix, but from what I've seen still not too common on the LNs. More recently it's seemed to switch the other way around. I don't know perhaps Rolex had a larger supply of one LN dial on hand and then next batch made the other and we're seeing that now. Either way, I like both and think it's cool they put small variations out there

Here's an older thread from when more and more 6 digit Subs started being delivered

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=250929

904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2018, 02:10 AM   #33
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
I hope you're right, but it seems to me they like to keep Rolex and Tudor from competing against one another. Having the Black Bay at 41mm with a 22mm bracelet helps it stand out from the Sub. If they were the same size folks would pick one or the other. This way maybe they get both!

Drives me and my >7" wrist absolutely crazy that (to me) the Sub is too small and the Deep Sea/Sea Dweller too big, but nothing in between in the Rolex Sub/GMT lineup
It is kind of a strange range Rolex has right now isn't it? I thought for sure the SD would upsize, but not to 43mm. It does wear more small, but i thought we would see a more modest increase like a large 41mm SD, not the SD43 as is. I definitely like it though. I don't think the 41mm and 22mm bracelet would make the Sub compete with the BB, though just how I would buy. I think the Glidelock, ceramic and Date Cyclops (some don't like it, but i like how it's easy on the eyes reading the date) will stay Sub and help separate.

For those of you that wanted a watch in the range you're thinking, I'm surprised Rolex didn't make the new SD more Explorer 2 sized. Though I don't think the SD43 is anything obnoxiously sized by any means. Seems the pieces are in place to slightly upsize the Sub. Personally, I hope they do not upsize, but I think it may be good news for everyone wanting upsize after looking at the recent releases Rolex put out, with the now longer established Diver release pattern. I think Rolex may further differentiate the Sub and GMT Master, just as they did the Sub and SD, and shocked everyone.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote