The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 3 October 2012, 07:37 AM   #1
raf823
"TRF" Member

Panerai help

Greetings...

I am a Rolex fan that is looking to buy a Panerai. I have a Sub C and a DateJust but think a nice strap watch would be fun. Looking at two Panerai Luminor Marina Stainless Steel Watch PAM 005 - on Ebay. I like the simplicity and the logo markings on the dial. I do not know much about this brand and don't want to make any big mistakes. What should used PAM 005s go for? Any suggestions on simple Panerais and tips on the brand itself would be much appreciated. I have no idea what the differences are between the models other than the obvious such as chrono, date etc. THANKS....
raf823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2012, 08:07 AM   #2
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

Do your homework....do some searching here & in paneristi.com. Stay away from Ebay!.....there are reputable sellers here & in p.com.

Good luck!
nauticajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2012, 08:18 AM   #3
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
The "logos" are the 000 (base, €3.5K new), 005 (seconds subdial, €3.7K) and 380 (Radiomir case, €3.3K). The logos are great PAMs and a great way to introduce yourself to OP!

Two things you need to know about the logos; they have solid casebacks and they have stuffed dials (not the "classic" sandwich) dials. A "stuffed" dial is a dial with beveled numbers and indices which are filled with lume. Do not confuse this with contemporary* PAMs, which are simply painted (lume is applied to the surface of the dial).

*If you don't know the difference between historical and contemporary (and specialized) PAMs, please take the time to review OP's official website

This is just a small piece of the big picture - you'll need half a year to fill in the rest. Be happy, because as you probably know, with Rolex you'd need at least a few years...
Travelller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2012, 08:23 AM   #4
raf823
"TRF" Member

thanks for your help. can you direct me to some rep sellers on here? RAF
Old 3 October 2012, 08:30 AM   #5
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raf823 View Post
thanks for your help. can you direct me to some rep sellers on here? RAF
Oscar (bodybump) is a BIG time fan of PAM's. You also have DavidSW. Peruse thru the FS section. It's all about the thrill of the hunt!
nauticajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2012, 11:06 AM   #6
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

005 a great choice for a 1st PAM
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2012, 12:19 PM   #7
raf823
"TRF" Member

Thanks
Old 3 October 2012, 12:34 PM   #8
DiverAsia
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16014 16610 372
I would say, once you know you want a 005, start looking at other models as well, like the 112 and 111. Then go back to see if you still feel the same way about the 105. I found that once I decided on a model I wanted as my 1st Pam, I started to look at other models and my choice changed as I could then compare the new models against what I thought I wanted. If you try on the 005 and end up liking it best, then you should be happy with your choice for a long time to come.
Good luck in your search.
Cheers!
Wants to run the big machine
DiverAsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2012, 12:54 PM   #9
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverAsia View Post
I would say, once you know you want a 005, start looking at other models as well, like the 112 and 111. Then go back to see if you still feel the same way about the 105. I found that once I decided on a model I wanted as my 1st Pam, I started to look at other models and my choice changed as I could then compare the new models against what I thought I wanted. If you try on the 005 and end up liking it best, then you should be happy with your choice for a long time to come.
Good luck in your search.
Cheers!

Good advice Rich

Also, Richard should be aware that none of these models hack i.e. the hands keep moving when you pull out the crown to set the time