The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 4 December 2019, 05:50 AM   #1
lukajur
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedy
Hodinkee selling Bvlgari

Hey all, so it seems that Hodinkee is really pushing into becoming an online "AD" type of situation.

What are your takes on Hodinkee moving into the retailing business so fast, first with Omega and now with Bvlgari. Does it make you consider some brands you have not looked at before maybe?

Do you think this will inspire others to maybe start a direct to consumer type of sales situation?

I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Best Luka
Cartier: Midsize Santos
lukajur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2019, 06:07 AM   #2
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Well, the more brands they are an AD for, the less independent they are in reviewing and advising on watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2019, 06:18 AM   #3
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Argonaut View Post
Well, the more brands they are an AD for, the less independent they are in reviewing and advising on watches.

I think they have had an agenda for quite a while now...

As long as Hoodwinky doesn’t make the Octo Finissimo chronograph the next “gotta have” watch, I’m okay. Otherwise, I’m just waiting for the newness to wear off so I can snag one from a grey market dealer for way less than retail.
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2019, 06:34 AM   #4
martinr
"TRF" Member

You can already buy an Octo Finissimo from a legitimate Bulgari AD for way less than retail, like 20% less or more depending on the AD.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2019, 06:38 AM   #5
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Argonaut View Post

On the flip side, if they're an AD for EVERY WATCH BRAND OUT THERE, they can't really be seen as pushing any one over another!

At the same time, I don't remember the last time I read an article from any of the watch blogs slamming a piece; if they were to do so, they would most likely lose any future review opportunities. Hence, why everything is amazing in the watch world and no one wants to tell the Emperor he isn't wearing any clothes...
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2019, 07:00 AM   #6
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

If they can get people to pay retail for ANY of those brands they carry, more power to them.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2019, 07:23 AM   #7
astewartconst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
You can already buy an Octo Finissimo from a legitimate Bulgari AD for way less than retail, like 20% less or more depending on the AD.

So Hodinkee being non brick and mortar maybe can get it 30-40% off....Wishful thinking

astewartconst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2019, 08:27 AM   #8
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astewartconst View Post
So Hodinkee being non brick and mortar maybe can get it 30-40% off....Wishful thinking

What? Hodinkee sells at MSRP. But brick and mortar stores will discount. Not the boutique but a Bulgari AD.
Old 4 December 2019, 09:42 AM   #9
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

unless you dont have an AD nearby i wonder what compels people to buy off the shelf watches from hodinkee.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2019, 09:52 AM   #10
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbaug2 View Post
At the same time, I don't remember the last time I read an article from any of the watch blogs slamming a piece; if they were to do so, they would most likely lose any future review opportunities. Hence, why everything is amazing in the watch world and no one wants to tell the Emperor he isn't wearing any clothes...
Absolutely. I noticed this about the Dink a few years ago. It's still a useful resource, provided one recognizes its limitations. Sad really. I had high hopes when it first started out.
Old 4 December 2019, 11:26 AM   #11
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
I love old school pump and dump lol
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 02:32 AM   #12
J.P.Jones
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Exposure View Post
I think they have had an agenda for quite a while now...

As long as Hoodwinky doesn’t make the Octo Finissimo chronograph the next “gotta have” watch, I’m okay. Otherwise, I’m just waiting for the newness to wear off so I can snag one from a grey market dealer for way less than retail.
Hoodwinky!

When was the last time you've read a negative review of any watch on that site?
J.P.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 03:33 AM   #13
LigerBelair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 50th A
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P.Jones View Post
Hoodwinky!

When was the last time you've read a negative review of any watch on that site?
I can't remember. Hodinkee still has some value but it is obviously a cheerleader for the industry not a critic imo. Going the AD route only makes their bias more obvious.
LigerBelair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 03:41 AM   #14
SROB
"TRF" Member

When I first started getting into watches, more in-depthly, Hodinkee was an amazing source to me. Personally, now they are the worst of the worst... a seller trying to portray itself as a journalistic outlet.

I do like a few of their special editions...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 04:30 AM   #15
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Hopefully they stoke the fire. It will help me on the other end some day when I sell mine on for the next shiny object.
Old 5 December 2019, 07:26 AM   #16
lukajur
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedy
Thank you for your insightful discussion. I agree with some of your points. When I first got into watches, Hodinkee was an interesting source of knowledgable people really passionate about the industry.

It seems to me they are now primarily a business and secondary a real "watch blog" which is fine, as things develop. I am actually happy they carry these watches, so the brands receive more exposure.

Wether their evolution is good or bad is hard to say, but it will be interesting to follow and see how their journalism adapts or not...
Cartier: Midsize Santos
lukajur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 05:13 AM   #17
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

... and cameras too!

rockdrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 08:47 AM   #18
lol2552
Banned

Watch: 1675
Quote:
Is Hodinkee open to discounting?
lol2552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 09:35 AM   #19
LigerBelair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 50th A
Quote:
Originally Posted by SROB View Post
When I first started getting into watches, more in-depthly, Hodinkee was an amazing source to me. Personally, now they are the worst of the worst... a seller trying to portray itself as a journalistic outlet.

I do like a few of their special editions...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Clymer shut down comments today when Hodinkee got called out for their glowing "review" of the latest Bond Omega Seamaster soon after becoming an Omega AD. IMO, Clymer really underestimates the impact his sales efforts are having on the credibility of his website. Now, that is undoubtedly his call to make but to assume his readers are just going to buy his claims in such a naive manner is an unreasonable assumption to make imo. Shutting down comments doesn't enhance his credibility either imo.
LigerBelair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 08:59 AM   #20
astewartconst
"TRF" Member

Hodinkee selling Bvlgari

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigerBelair View Post
Clymer shut down comments today when Hodinkee got called out for their glowing "review" of the latest Bond Omega Seamaster soon after becoming an Omega AD. IMO, Clymer really underestimates the impact his sales efforts are having on the credibility of his website. Now, that is undoubtedly his call to make but to assume his readers are just going to buy his claims in such a naive manner is an unreasonable assumption to make imo. Shutting down comments doesn't enhance his credibility either imo.

Hodinkee released a special edition Nomos today and on their IG page they disabled comments for the post related to this watch.

Hodinkee is also doing a special edition Leica camera on 12/12 after just becoming a Leica dealer very recently and also doing a few recent write ups about how great the Leica cameras are. Also their timing has been really bad. It just asks for people to call them out when they become a dealer, then write glowing reviews then do a special edition all in the first 10 days of December.

If they want to be an online dealer I assume they need to be selling for less than a store front otherwise why wouldn’t I buy from a place I can walk in and see the item in person.

astewartconst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 07:26 PM   #21
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Well I am relieved that people on this thread seem to feel the same way, as the sycophantic hero-worship on that site frankly gives me the creeps.

A store posing as an objective arbiter of taste is shady to say the least.
mongrelnomoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2019, 06:02 AM   #22
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Which ADs?
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2019, 06:48 AM   #23
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phooi View Post
Which ADs?
The two I went in and talked to.
Old 15 December 2019, 08:03 AM   #24
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
By talking to John Mayer twice they began to get a big head. Even an amateur knows better than to hype a product they sell under the umbrella of objectivity. I hope their business fails for this reason alone, but it probably won't as there are a lot of naive people out there.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2019, 08:55 AM   #25
Italia64
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Leica also just released a limited edition Hodinkee M-series set. (Mayer pimped it on his IG feed as well, as the best ever M limited).
More ego-food for Hodinkee.

https://us.leica-camera.com/World-of.../2019/HODINKEE
Italia64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2019, 11:27 AM   #26
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Cannot tell you how pissed off tte Leica thing made me. I was a semi-pro photographer and learned on Leica Ms and used them exclusively for over twenty years. My dad used to work by the factory in Germany and when I was a kid he had a cupboard full of bodies and lenses. It used to be that you could get stuff repaired quickly, talk directly the factory, get help and access to support and equipment.

Nowadays they’re just a douchey accessory, and the company has courted it. I had a lense I desperately needed repairing recently, no more rush service, it got “lost”, took forever, and when it was returned I got an obscene, opaque bill that made absolutely no sense.

They still make the best glass and the only digital rangefinder so I’ve got no choice, but they have lost my heart and their soul.
mongrelnomoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2019, 01:19 PM   #27
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phooi View Post
Which ADs?
pm me I can hook you up with an ad that will ship to you if serious.
Old 15 December 2019, 02:38 PM   #28
997GT3
"TRF" Member

Refreshing to see this here.
IWC Ingenieur IW3233-03 RG
Romain Jerome Spacecraft
997GT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2019, 02:47 PM   #29
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
By talking to John Mayer twice they began to get a big head. Even an amateur knows better than to hype a product they sell under the umbrella of objectivity. I hope their business fails for this reason alone, but it probably won't as there are a lot of naive people out there.

Look how fast their Special Edition watches sell—normally within 2-24 hours. Look how quickly most of the vintage pieces on their site sell—equally quickly. They’re a useful blog, but they traded their reputation for independence a long time ago. They're more an "AD" these days, judging by the speed at which they sell their wares. Still, they produce some great photos and their in-depth pieces are usually quite good.

Old 29 January 2020, 06:15 AM   #30
RollinMoses
"TRF" Member

I think it is a smart business model if they can keep the balance right. Social / content driven commerce is a key driver of online retail.

Interesting listening to the podcast episode 71 - they explain pretty clearly that e-commerce sales opportunities are driving editorial decisions. They had two dive watches (and Oris and Blancpain) lined up a “Limited Editions” and due to some production timing issues with one or both watches they ended up needed to release them back to back. From that was born “Dive Month” on the site.
RollinMoses is offline   Reply With Quote