The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 August 2019, 08:20 PM   #31
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
I believe in buying local. After service is easier to deal with. Once our local AD will have this GS I want I am buying this after I sell my wife's kidney.

It's just all about health, happiness & family. The rest are just necessary inconvenience we have to deal with.
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 09:59 PM   #32
FLGatorM5
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt009au View Post

That’s a surprisingly beautiful watch.
FLGatorM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 05:34 AM   #33
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
I had a very negative perception of GS, I thought they were just overpriced Seikos and associated it with cheap $300 Seiko watches. Then I did some research and saw the light, realizing they are probably of higher quality and more accurate than any of my holy trinity watches and now I’m drooling over them and can’t wait to buy one.
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 08:17 AM   #34
matt009au
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
I had a very negative perception of GS, I thought they were just overpriced Seikos and associated it with cheap $300 Seiko watches. Then I did some research and saw the light, realizing they are probably of higher quality and more accurate than any of my holy trinity watches and now I’m drooling over them and can’t wait to buy one.
Not sure they are quite at Trinity levels if I'm honest.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
matt009au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 09:31 AM   #35
illiguy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarm981 View Post
They need more respect imo in the WIS world. Amazing value and incredible watches.
I think GS is very well respected among WIS. I feel like it's finding its price point, despite its amazing quality for the dollar. Not too dissimilar to ALS (in that regard).
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 09:46 AM   #36
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Solid!
Old 18 August 2019, 02:44 PM   #37
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Well that depends on which model, and can certainly make a case the dial is already better.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 04:33 PM   #38
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yes, i agree. They could be beyond. :) Especually if one considers there performance at the neuchatel chronometer trials.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 08:22 PM   #39
Runny Eggs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
The only part of this that is somewhat accurate is the part about Joe.
I think you're looking at my comment as an attack on the brand. We both agree this is a stellar watchmaker, which is why we're on this forum right now, but we're debating the wider perception here. From my vantage point, it looks as though a large segment of watch enthusiasts isn't sold on GS yet.

Quote:
You can't compare brands from the Swiss industry that have been marketing themselves to death for fifty years to GS which has been sold internationally for a decade.
Yes, you absolutely have to compare Seiko to Rolex (and Omega, and Breitling, etc). It's a free market place and they're in the same price range. If people aren't sold on the brand, it fails. That's how capitalism works.

Quote:
GS as a brand has never been stronger. Geeks as you call them do not think it's anywhere near standard Seiko branded watches
Exhibit A:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
I had a very negative perception of GS, I thought they were just overpriced Seikos and associated it with cheap $300 Seiko watches.
This is the kind of comment I see frequently on forums, comment sections, etc. I think the perception will change, but it will take some effort by the brand.
Runny Eggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 09:51 PM   #40
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I agree- I own 2 and love them , but IMO they are not on par w AP and PP (talking about models <$7k)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 01:54 AM   #41
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runny Eggs View Post
I think you're looking at my comment as an attack on the brand. We both agree this is a stellar watchmaker, which is why we're on this forum right now, but we're debating the wider perception here. From my vantage point, it looks as though a large segment of watch enthusiasts isn't sold on GS yet.

Yes, you absolutely have to compare Seiko to Rolex (and Omega, and Breitling, etc). It's a free market place and they're in the same price range. If people aren't sold on the brand, it fails. That's how capitalism works.

Exhibit A:

This is the kind of comment I see frequently on forums, comment sections, etc. I think the perception will change, but it will take some effort by the brand.

I totally agree. If we define enthusiast as anyone who likes nice watches. This forum is a very small and strange selection of the watch community. I would say the majority of watch enthusiasts have no idea what grand Seiko is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 03:19 AM   #42
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
How can one even declare that a watch like this , is a second thought other than one worrying that it doesn’t have enough brand power to show off ones wallet. My hi beat which I picked up a few weeks ago is nicer than any hi end dress sport watch owned to date. This watch not only looks the part, it’s made for the part. The quality is outstanding! And I absolutely love that this model still had the previous moniker SIEKO with GS under it. I absolutely love wearing this to work and knowing what a special watch it is and that someone observing it just chalks it off as a SIEKO (Bill Gates) is cheap. Every watch enthusiast should own one. If not anyone who appreciates a finely crafted watch.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 04:52 AM   #43
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Id love one of these at some point. They’re incredible from every angle.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 05:01 AM   #44
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
How can one even declare that a watch like this , is a second thought other than one worrying that it doesn’t have enough brand power to show off ones wallet. My hi beat which I picked up a few weeks ago is nicer than any hi end dress sport watch owned to date. This watch not only looks the part, it’s made for the part. The quality is outstanding! And I absolutely love that this model still had the previous moniker SIEKO with GS under it. I absolutely love wearing this to work and knowing what a special watch it is and that someone observing it just chalks it off as a SIEKO (Bill Gates) is cheap. Every watch enthusiast should own one. If not anyone who appreciates a finely crafted watch.

That watch looks fabulous on your wrist, it just oozes style. Lovely photography as well.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 06:38 AM   #45
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
That watch looks fabulous on your wrist, it just oozes style. Lovely photography as well.
Thanks, Dave.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 08:25 AM   #46
cakey007
"TRF" Member

I had a look in the local Seiko Boutique recently and was very impressed at the stock, and level of finish on the dial under a loupe, certainly something I would consider in the future.
Came away with a cheeky Tuna as well- again, far better than I would ever have expected.
cakey007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 09:19 AM   #47
Acidstain
"TRF" Member

I love the GS line. Specially their snowflake dial. With that said, citizen’s hronomaster’s paper dial is superb as well.

I believe GS perception in the WIs community is in general, positive. It’s the non-WIs that might not appreciate what it represents as much.
Acidstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 09:53 AM   #48
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I’m not saying you have to like Grand Seiko, but if you don’t know of or don’t acknowledge the quality of GS, I think your WISness is suspect.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 03:21 PM   #49
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I’m not saying you have to like Grand Seiko, but if you don’t know of or don’t acknowledge the quality of GS, I think your WISness is suspect.
Agree, you might be just a WI.
Old 14 February 2020, 12:15 AM   #50
RolyMoly
Banned

I think 2019 was an excellent year for them, them getting the recognition they deserve from major media outlets, etc.

As some have mentioned above, public perception of it will never be that of Rolex. I find that very refreshing though. Especially after reading the same Rolex forum posts crying over and over about pricing conspiracies and greys vs AD’s, ugh. Gimme a GS for a break.
RolyMoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 12:31 AM   #51
Partagas
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by icnbne View Post
My perception of grand seiko owners is theyre sensible buyers who value quality above all
My guess is more gs owners are WIS than rolex owners - percentage wise
Absolutely.
Partagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 11:41 AM   #52
rayt
"TRF" Member

Watch: must be rolex
grand seiko followers are really fast growing ,high qualify time pieces limited production too. Happy to have one!
rayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 01:12 PM   #53
Trog
Banned

I'm still on the fence …….
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Z0r.jpg (292.2 KB, 554 views)
File Type: jpg Zilla_beav2r.jpg (237.0 KB, 546 views)
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 03:11 AM   #54
Silver_Fox
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, SPB119J1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post

Id love one of these at some point. They’re incredible from every angle.

Absolutely love this piece. Would pick up in a heartbeat.

Silver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 12:45 AM   #55
York20
"TRF" Member

Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
5 years ago I had not seen a GS, I went to Leeds to buy a Rolex Sub, as I walked to the Rolex dealer I looked in a window of the only GS dealer in the UK (At that time), I was curious and went in to have a look, I bought a Hi Beat and a quartz there and then. I didn't have enough money for a sub so had to save up again for a year or two until I could afford and buy a new Rolex sub, but that's what I did.

After 5 years, I still have both GS but sold the Sub, it just wasn't getting the wrist time. I dont miss the Sub but would either of my GS.

I have been in the Rolex AD in Leeds a couple of times, the man there said, "we like to see people who come in wearing Grand Seiko's, it shows they know about watches." Which is a nice compliment but not strictly true in my case.
I have both the Rolex SM and GS Spring Drive Dive watch. The GS is way better looking and better designed, and more accurate as a watch!
York20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 12:49 AM   #56
York20
"TRF" Member

The new GS dive watch, SBGH255, has replaced the big yellow "SEIKO" with the Grand Seiko logo and the word "Grand Seiko."
I think they did that to ensure everyone sees and knows it IS a Grand Seiko. This move is most likely due to brand recognition.

I prefer the understated and simple "SEIKO."

What about you guys?
York20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 10:23 AM   #57
RolyMoly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by York20 View Post
The new GS dive watch, SBGH255, has replaced the big yellow "SEIKO" with the Grand Seiko logo and the word "Grand Seiko."

I think they did that to ensure everyone sees and knows it IS a Grand Seiko. This move is most likely due to brand recognition.

I prefer the understated and simple "SEIKO."

What about you guys?

I actually prefer it Grand Seiko, like it’s own brand. Which it really is anyways.
RolyMoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2020, 02:24 AM   #58
raveltime
"TRF" Member

I think they are highly regarded. I hope to have the Snowflake one day.
raveltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2020, 12:07 AM   #59
mattsbeers
"TRF" Member

Amazing watches, but as long as they say Seiko on the dial there is going to be a stigma.
mattsbeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2020, 06:36 PM   #60
Kirsty87
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date 36mm
As a newbie to the watch world, it seems to be a brand that is on the rise.

It has a reputation as a brand that is being appreciated for its design (mainly dials), and bang for the buck craftsmanship...but they seem to be moving their price point higher and higher - clearly looking to make a statement to the community about their status.
Kirsty87 is offline   Reply With Quote