The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 12 February 2020, 12:31 AM   #1
TankTom
Banned

Rolex to AP?

Hi all,

Newbie here. I'm going to ask the same question on the AP forum and I appreciate you guys here are Rolex fans but I'd like some advice on whether I should make the move from Rolex to AP. More specifically, a steel royal oak blue dial.

For those that have made the move, is AP significantly a step up from Rolex please?

Thanks
TankTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 12:34 AM   #2
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
I haven’t made the move...

But a Royal Oak bracelet glows in the sunlight more than any Rolex bracket in my opinion.

The watches probably wear different because of the integrated bracelet.

Also, think about reliability. Although I have no experience with AP, I have read multiple times that a Rolex is more bulletproof and more reliable, AND requires a service less often than an AP.

My 2 cents.

schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 12:37 AM   #3
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTom View Post

Is AP significantly a step up from Rolex?

Depends on which company’s marketing you believe more
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 12:48 AM   #4
One&done
"TRF" Member

It depends on what you value in a watch. To me, Rolex to AP is a step down in every way but ymmv.
One&done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 12:52 AM   #5
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

Hi.

I own both. In terms of fit and finish, AP is a step above. In general terms, a Rolex movement is more likely to need less service or have a reliability issues but from my personal experience, I have never had any problems with mine.

If recognizability by the public is import to you, Rolex is the more known brand. To those that are into horology, AP easily.

Rolex is a Mercedes. Well built, high quality and mass produced.

Audemars Piguet is a Ferrari. Hand crafted, exceptional fit and finish, produced in relatively lower numbers depending on model, potential higher cost of service but worth the exclusivity.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
DoxaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 12:52 AM   #6
Pantheon
Banned

Watch: VC and AP
The finishing on the AP is definitely way better than a Rolex. I would say that's the AP's biggest advantage. Rolex is definitely more robustly built as you would have to be careful with an AP as they are kind of fragile compared to Omegas and Rolexes. There is also the water resistance you have to watch out for as Royal oaks only have 50m WR.

AP is also marketed as a higher end brand than Rolex which I feel is more mid market so you'll definitely be looking at bigger price premiums for APs. Also be wary that blue dial royal oaks are just as hard if not harder to come by than Rolex SS models. AP currently controls their entire market since they purged the majority of their ADs and set up boutiques either themselves or as a joint venture so they can overlook the entire sales process.

I buy many different brands and I can say that you won't regret the SS AP if you can get your hands on them they're definitely a thing of beauty.
Pantheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 12:55 AM   #7
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Its a very different watch and in my experience, you will not regret it. I have Rolex, AP and PP and have progressed in that order. I still find that the AP is the happy medium between tool and jewelry. PP at the other end of the spectrum is just jewelry, with the Aquanaut being the only exception. I think you will find that a RO is very versatile, dressed up or casual it works. My only issue with AP these days is that they are going so large, 41mm RO is just too big in my opinion. Your only real shot at 39mm would be a jumbo or 15300, good luck on either!
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 01:10 AM   #8
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I'll try not to repeat some of the very good points posted above, regarding the abysmal difference in finishing. It's not even a fair comparison, really.

Rolex builds sports watches that are tough as nails. They'll take what your body can handle, and then some. AP is high horology, it crosses a line from which watchmaking really becomes a form of art. The bracelet on the royal oak is a thing of beauty, there is nothing like it anywhere, from anyone, imo.

I love and own both brands. They are simply different things, and variety is truly the spice of life.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 01:21 AM   #9
djgallo
Banned

It’s a step backwards...
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 01:32 AM   #10
mas12
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
This is an interesting question and you'll surely get more varying opinions as you already have.

I do not own an AP but I have seen them in the flesh. The bracelet is amazing and just a work of art.

Both can co-exist in a collection easily and just depends what you use it for. If I owned an AP, I'd wear it casually going out on date night or to work but never during activities that I'd wear my SubC for - beach, pool, hiking, etc.

AP is a step up in: finish, horology
AP is a step down in: durability, versatility

Obviously I can't speak for the movement and long-term reliability

Rolex SubC 116610LN
mas12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 01:35 AM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTom View Post
Hi all,

Newbie here. I'm going to ask the same question on the AP forum and I appreciate you guys here are Rolex fans but I'd like some advice on whether I should make the move from Rolex to AP. More specifically, a steel royal oak blue dial.

For those that have made the move, is AP significantly a step up from Rolex please?

Thanks
Myself not a fan of any of the RO range good movements but do not like the style, as for step up the only step up IMHO is perhaps the price.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 01:37 AM   #12
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgallo View Post
It’s a step backwards...
Oh, pray tell and enlighten us with your profound insights how one of the most respected, historically significant watch manufacturers that is a part of the trinity of haute horology is a “step backwards”?

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
DoxaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 01:45 AM   #13
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Very different watches and you should appreciate both for what they are (as well as PP). Also makes for a more diverse collection.

This is how I feel about the general differences between the 3 brands.

1. Rolex- rugged and high quality tool watch that is mass produced by machine with very tight tolerances and marketed into an entry level luxury watch.

2. AP - THE luxury sport watch company with deep haute horology roots (the first and still the most complex with APRP). Most complications and most exotic materials used. Mostly hand finished with great attention to detail but require a little more attention.

3. The top luxury dress watch company with deep haute horology roots that also makes a couple lines of dressier luxury sport watches but with minimal complications. Timeless classics of the highest quality and also require a little more attention.

I've had some QC issues with AP over the years but all were quickly resolved by APSC clearwater. They really are the best service center in the business. I also wore a FC diver as a daily beater for around 6 years without any issues or even a scratch. Held up much better than my original DSSD that had a bezel that rotated in both direction, a cracked bubble and ran out of COSC speck.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 01:48 AM   #14
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
As the guys say it is a different level of finishing, materials and dial detailing, so if you like the aesthetic then go for it.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 02:32 AM   #15
dmb359
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

are you selling one to purchase the other, or what do you mean "make the move". Are you comparing two specific watches, or just generally asking if AP is better than Rolex? which would be hard to answer without knowing what watches are being compared.
Old 12 February 2020, 02:38 AM   #16
Nauti
"TRF" Member

So after 20+ years accumulating Rolex vintage and new which i love I decided to look at other options as i felt a bit blinkered to what else was out there, i like some Omega not so much Panerai and then recently dipped my toe in the Patek world which i have to say i now get albeit i would not wear for any occasion as i would Rolex which are lets be honest very versatile and feel more robust....

Having got the PP bug I watched and read many comparisons with the RO and deep dived into all the 70’s history and the work of PP and AP.....smitten with the idea of owning a RO blue i got looking sadly the 15400 / 15500 were just too big so i went in search of a RO i could live with and fitted my 6.8 in wrist = 15300ST ...i picked one up just recently and i have to say i am utterly smitten.

Is it better than a Rolex Sub or GMT ...i dont know if I would say that, its just different and has bags of charisma, the fit and finish is superb the 3120 movement is quite something in terms of the gorgeous detailing and it reserve seems also very good.

The killer feature for me is the bracelet its a thing of wonder catching the light and its so comfortable to wear you can tell Genta was a jewellery designer by its fit and integration with the case.

The dial will have you staring at it and angling it for different lights and colours...and i love the dial method of manufacture.

https://youtu.be/K0uW37FnCLM

Should you take the leap ?....try one first you might just fall in love...
Nauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 02:47 AM   #17
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Depends on which company’s marketing you believe more

Haha good point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 February 2020, 02:50 AM   #18
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoxaDavid View Post
Hi.

Audemars Piguet is a Ferrari. Hand crafted, exceptional fit and finish, produced in relatively lower numbers depending on model, potential higher cost of service but worth the exclusivity.

I like your analogy

What would you say Patek would be in the car world?

Old 12 February 2020, 02:55 AM   #19
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
OP doesn’t say what Rolexes he wears or admires. Datejust? Daydate? Sports models?

Blue dialed AP covers a lot of territory as well. Could be a small 37mm 15450 or a massive ROO Beast...

TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 03:16 AM   #20
Reign
"TRF" Member

Rolex to AP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
I like your analogy

What would you say Patek would be in the car world?

Rolls Royce

To the OP, I would just say go for the AP. Quality of finishing is miles ahead but you sacrifice durability.

I’ve found AP customer service to be miles better, especially their corporate owned boutiques vs Rolex’s AD network. They recently sent me a Christmas gift, always give away swag as part of purchases and have invited me to multiple AP golf outings and other golf events. In short it’s been a complete experience from the very first watch purchased
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 03:18 AM   #21
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Rolex to AP?

Lots of great points made already by some big AP fans - like myself.

To me - you don’t really ‘move’ from Rolex to AP - or any other manufacturer for that matter. The brands can most definitely co-exist in a collection.

Is one truly ‘better’ than the other - well...honestly that is about all based on personal preference and opinion. While AP spends - A LOT of time on fit and quality of finish etc (which is EXQUISITE) - Rolex spends on accuracy and utility.

The Royal Oak - is a watch that will always truly embody the essence of sporty elegance — I mean - it was the original - in 1972.

You can’t go wrong with a Royal Oak.

(Also - as mentioned and I will completely concur - APs Service paradigm is better than any other I’ve dealt with. Including Rolex and Patek)

Availability wise - as mentioned already - blue dial Royal Oaks - are most definitely not the easiest references to come by - and will likely come with a premium.

Good luck with the journey!!

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 03:51 AM   #22
Bourbon
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Brick
All my friends have a Rolex of some sort. Very few have AP.

There's some meaning there somewhere. You'll have to articulate it for yourself.
Bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 04:11 AM   #23
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon View Post
All my friends have a Rolex of some sort. Very few have AP.

There's some meaning there somewhere. You'll have to articulate it for yourself.
It does articulate something, but probably the opposite of what you think. Rolex makes 1mn watches per year. AP makes 40,000...
fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 04:41 AM   #24
TankTom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb359 View Post
are you selling one to purchase the other, or what do you mean "make the move". Are you comparing two specific watches, or just generally asking if AP is better than Rolex? which would be hard to answer without knowing what watches are being compared.
Thanks. BLNR 126710 to RO 15450 blue dial.
Old 12 February 2020, 04:48 AM   #25
TankTom
Banned

Thanks for all of your comments - much appreciated. More specifically, I’m looking at the blue dial 15450 but would need to shift the 126710 BLNR and add £8k cash on top. The RO is retail.
Old 12 February 2020, 05:18 AM   #26
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Currently have four AP’s and three Rolex. Have also previously owned five other Rolex.

Big fan of both.

My AP’s get a lot more wrist time than my Rolex watches.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 05:34 AM   #27
djgallo
Banned

Quote:
Oh, pray tell and enlighten us with your profound insights how one of the most respected, historically significant watch manufacturers that is a part of the trinity of haute horology is a “step backwards”?
You can believe whatever you want. I guess if you like over paying for a over hyped over-designed, and overly polished watch with screw heads it’s your choice.

You can’t compare AP to Rolex history, and it’s not much different than many of the so called high end “haute horology” watches being produced by the smaller boutique manufactures. AP may be known to .000010 of the population.

Alternatively, Rolex is well known by 99% of the public. It has the historical lasting design, quality, and proven performance over the years.

It’s apple’s and oranges, if you like the small niche AP watch line, no problem...there are many others that don’t find them interesting at all.
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 05:40 AM   #28
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Hi.

I own both. In terms of fit and finish, AP is a step above. In general terms, a Rolex movement is more likely to need less service or have a reliability issues but from my personal experience, I have never had any problems with mine.

If recognizability by the public is import to you, Rolex is the more known brand. To those that are into horology, AP easily.

Rolex is a Mercedes. Well built, high quality and mass produced.

Exactly this, saved me having to type it out.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 05:56 AM   #29
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak

Holding both in my hand, the Rolex feels like it could break quite easily, this talk of it being a strong tool watch compared to an AP is misguided.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 06:00 AM   #30
J to the Z
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP
For me AP was always an aspirational brand, but after owning Rolex and seeing how tough things are in today’s market that definitely helped give me the push I needed to branch out to AP. Unless you’re able to buy Rolex at retail, I think AP is a bit better value in this crazy market. It is a different product though as others have already said (the focus for AP is low production and extremely fine hand finishing), which may or may not appeal to you depending on your tastes and how you wear your watches. I love both brands as I appreciate the pros/cons that each has to offer and love being able to mix things up in different situations.

J to the Z is offline   Reply With Quote