Originally Posted by TankTom View Post
Would an AP boutique go for this?
Old 13 February 2020, 07:52 AM   #62
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If its new and you didn't remove the stickers, maybe but not sure. My AD will give me a 5 day return policy if unworn and unsized. They hold the warranty card and don’t fill it out until a final OK is given. Perhaps this one would as well? Can’t hurt to ask what their policies are.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
DoxaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 08:01 AM   #63
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
Quote:
Check directly with your local AP boutique. I can't speak for an AP boutique, but I know I have shopped at some boutiques that only give store/merchandise credits.
Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 08:02 AM   #64
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I suspect there is more handwork to the AP movement and finish and to the bracelet. The RO bracelet is a work of art. Whether AP is a step-up is really a matter of taste. Rolex makes an excellent product which is rugged, durable, reliable and well finished. Stranded somewhere I would prefer my Rolex to my AP any day.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 10:01 AM   #65
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Isn’t it about time some Grand Seiko devotee hijacks the thread to tell us we’re all fools? LOLOLOL

That’s not an invitation BTW...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 10:04 AM   #66
Horolojust
"TRF" Member

I discussed this on my channel sometime ago - not the best lighting I had at that time, but i hope it still helps :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW9BOuUvvlE
Horolojust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 11:25 AM   #67
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks. Seen them all - blue wins by a mile. Don’t like white and grey looks washed out IMO. Is the 15450 worth that much more than the BLNR in your opinion?
I think it is, I have the blue 15450 and 7 Rolex watches. Durability-wise though, nothing beats Rolex. Knock on wood my AP is still doing well. Timekeeping-wise, Rolex is solid too.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 01:15 PM   #68
PPFANBOY
"TRF" Member

G Shocks are durable as well. They're great watches but they are no Rolex.

The same goes for Rolex and AP. Rolex are great tool watches. But they're not high end like APs.
Old 15 February 2020, 02:12 AM   #69
Jesse_
"TRF" Member

I recently acquired an AP RO, owned a Rolex DSSD. In my opinion, there are apple and orange, AP being so elegant and exquisite (it is a piece of art), Rolex being so sturdy and reliable (it is one of the best tools you can own).

Perhaps I am new to AP, I enjoy wearing it much more than my Rolex, I can't stop staring at it, my colleagues thought I have a neck sprain or something. It's just WOW! It's still WOWs me till today.

The experience of having an AP is priceless for me! It's like I am part of something rather than I own something.
Jesse_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 02:57 AM   #70
adnydrum
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi all,

"I'd like some advice on whether I should make the move from Rolex to AP. More specifically a...."

Thanks
I think you should go looking then buy whatever you decide you like
adnydrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 04:12 AM   #71
TankTom
Banned

Decision time guys - do I part with the 126710 BLNR and £9k for the blue dial 15450?
TankTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 02:06 PM   #72
MrEleven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega-Rolex-AP
Quote:
Decision time guys - do I part with the 126710 BLNR and £9k for the blue dial 15450?
Yes do it. Rolex are average watches nothing special about then at all and as for them being durable. They ceramic bezels are far more fragile than any part of an AP also the high polished centre links on the gmts are more prone to scratches than the AP.
AP beats rolex in every department
MrEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 02:38 PM   #73
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No way man. Thats too steep
NYG1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 04:39 PM   #74
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
For what it’s worth, my Rolexes get more wrist time during the week, as they are more low key for the office - on weekends, or after work, my APs are pretty much all I wear.
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 04:54 PM   #75
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Hi all,

Newbie here. I'm going to ask the same question on the AP forum and I appreciate you guys here are Rolex fans but I'd like some advice on whether I should make the move from Rolex to AP. More specifically, a steel royal oak blue dial.

For those that have made the move, is AP significantly a step up from Rolex please?

Thanks
Actually, it's a question you have to ask yourself. Objectively, AP is better finished but less robust for daily wear than Rolex. Aesthetically, which is subjective, AP for me looks nicer. I have a lot more APs than Rolex so it's a significant step up in my case.
Old 16 February 2020, 06:02 PM   #76
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
A sub and a 15450 would be awesome. I’ve got an SD4K and should all being well be getting my blue dial RO in the summer.

I’d try and get the additional cash required down to £8k rather than £9k which I think was your initial consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ikincooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 12:55 PM   #77
Gladiat0r
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoxaDavid View Post
So to sum up your diatribe, an AP is a step down because YOU are not a fan of the design of the Ro and Roo models (assume this is your screw head reference to the Genta design), their history has no bearing and primarily because Rolex has a greater name recognition with the ma and pa, joe regular public right?

To follow your line of thought, a Chevrolet Corvette C7 is the better car than a McLaren 720. I mean 99.9 percent of folks across the great US of A knows what a Vette is and that same percentage have no idea what a McLaren is, it’s significance to the automotive world, racing history, technology or value. Maybe even those same folks might think a new Vette is better looking as well.

So in your world, a Corvette is better than a 720...except it’s not. Not to say a C7 isn’t a great car, a bargain for the performance and reliability.

But if you KNOW cars, there is almost no one on the planet who wouldn't state emphatically that a McLaren is the finer vehicle by a long shot. This doesn’t diminish how fine a car a Corvette is, only it isn’t a McLaren.

That is AP and Rolex summed up. You may not like the design of some models or their price points or their lack of name recognition to the masses but there is little doubt that an AP is not a step down from a Rolex.

From a mclaren and corvette owner, I like the analogy 👍🏻
Gladiat0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 01:38 AM   #78
pkincy
"TRF" Member

Buy the AP you will love it. And if you don't you can sell it and move back to Rolex as they hold their value as well or better. AP is more expensive but worth it as the (mine is a 15400) AP has far more wrist prescence due to its inteegrated band and its design. Clearly I personally value my 15400 over my Sub or my Daytona, but than again it cost twice as much, so that is not terribly unusual.
pkincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 10:48 AM   #79
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiat0r View Post
From a mclaren and corvette owner, I like the analogy 👍🏻

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
DoxaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote