The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 2 May 2021, 03:20 AM   #1
WatchThinker
"TRF" Member

First Panerai - What to consider?

What makes a better first Panerai for someone who likes simple watches, has never owned a Panerai ( but seems weirdly obsessed all of a sudden ) and is looking for a good travel companion - a watch like the classic 8-day base Luminor 914 or a the 42mm steel bezeled Submersible 973?

I'm FINALLY planning on visiting the Panerai AD next week and wondering what to try on in person. ( Visiting Omega too, as I'm still considering a 300M as well). My first real time out of the house for something fun!

Recap: For this next watch, I like something that can come to a resort or vacation and be with me all day, pool or not. I don't actually intend to dive in it, but I'd like to know that I could. I have a flat 6.8" wrist, but wear a speedmaster very comfortably.

Would the Submersible be a bad first Panerai choice? Should I focus on the more traditional Luminor, like the 914? Has anyone here owned either as well as the Omega SMP? Other models to focus on?

Advice ?

( BTW: Thanks to everyone who has a been answering my posts as I've culled down my too large list of too many brands as I think about this next purchase. )
WatchThinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2021, 06:31 AM   #2
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

Personally, I think you nailed it with the 914 as a first choice. Look no further....and post pics when you pull the trigger.

all_in_the_pamily on IG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The OG Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2021, 09:00 AM   #3
WatchThinker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OG Beef View Post
Personally, I think you nailed it with the 914 as a first choice. Look no further....and post pics when you pull the trigger.

all_in_the_pamily on IG

I agree. It'll be different on wrist, but this is exactly the type of thing I like - simple. The Italian on the dial attracts for reasons that I must be buried deep in my sub conscious.
Old 3 May 2021, 02:46 AM   #4
emtee
"TRF" Member

I own a couple of PAMs and owned the Omega for about 6 months, in fact i traded the Omega for my 2nd Panerai, the 112. The reason being that although the Omega is objectively a great watch there were a couple of things I disliked about it that in the end I couldn’t live with, those being the HEV and sword hands. I think I liked the idea of that watch more than the watch itself and may have been a little tipsy when I pulled the trigger :)

At the end of the day it all comes down to personal preference, I personally love the Panerai 112 and smile each time I look at it whereas every time I looked at the Omega I had to remind myself what a great movement it had or how well made the case was in order to convince myself I loved it. I couldn’t tell you exactly why I love the Panerai, I just do.

So my advice is buy the one that brings you the biggest smile, you’ll know which one it is when you put it on your wrist.
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 03:55 AM   #5
WatchThinker
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=emtee;11429485...I think I liked the idea of that watch more than the watch itself d....I personally love the Panerai 112 and smile each time I look at it .[/QUOTE]

I really like the Omega, a lot. But, I just haven't been super excited to make this very logical purchase. Maybe I'll feel it when I go put one on my wrist. BUT, I was psyched once I really decided to take a good look into Panerai, and realized they weren't too outsized for me, it really seems to have absorbed my thinking. I'd never seriously considered it because of my 6.8" wrists. Only after HOURS on the internet, have I become convinced that several models are within range for my size.....
Old 3 May 2021, 07:04 AM   #6
turpe
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC MasterCalendar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchThinker View Post
Only after HOURS on the internet, have I become convinced that several models are within range for my size.....
More than anything else, this is the Panerai myth right here. They don’t wear nearly as large as everyone thinks and, once you’ve had one on your wrist for a couple of days, you simply don’t notice the size.

My 44mm Luminor actually wears smaller than my 42mm Planet Ocean did - partly, I think, because a watch on a strap tends to look smaller than one on a bracelet, and partly because the PO was kinda thick (height) for its size (diameter).

It’s no different to folks that think 34mm is ‘too dainty’ - that’s also a fallacy, as my 1950s Rolex Air-King will attest.
turpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 07:26 AM   #7
WatchThinker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpe View Post
...My 44mm Luminor actually wears smaller than my 42mm Planet Ocean did....
That's incredibly interesting and helpful! I would buy a 42mm P.O. w/o a second thought. My speedy fits my wrist just great. But your point about relative size is spot on. A Nomos on my wrist may have a smaller diameter than my other watches, but the skinny bezel and all-face design make teh watch appear much larger than it is.
Old 3 May 2021, 12:30 PM   #8
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by turpe View Post
More than anything else, this is the Panerai myth right here. They don’t wear nearly as large as everyone thinks and, once you’ve had one on your wrist for a couple of days, you simply don’t notice the size.
This is absolutely true. I had never considered a Panerai before because I had never seen one in person or tried one on. I saw no reason to because I “knew” it was too big. I was wrong.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 12:50 PM   #9
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I Maybe I'll feel it when I go put one on my wrist. BUT, I was psyched once I really decided to take a good look into Panerai, and realized they weren't too outsized for me, it really seems to have absorbed my thinking. I'd never seriously considered it because of my 6.8" wrists. Only after HOURS on the internet, have I become convinced that several models are within range for my size.....
Dont buy anything in 42mm. That's just a PSO (Panerai Shaped Object).

Try some on, you may be surprised what you can get away with. Try the different cases more than just different watches. No AD will have everything you want to see, but the cases will give you an idea of fit.

....And don't buy anything in 42mm. Take your time doing your homework, there's no rush. The Panerai range is overly complex and can be difficult to get into. Sadly there are no short cuts.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 01:05 PM   #10
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OG Beef View Post

all_in_the_pamily on IG

^^^^this

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 10:24 PM   #11
WatchThinker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
This is absolutely true. I had never considered a Panerai before because I had never seen one in person or tried one on. I saw no reason to because I “knew” it was too big. I was wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
....a PSO (Panerai Shaped Object)..,, The Panerai range is overly complex and can be difficult to get into. Sadly there are no short cuts.
Kevin - I think that's absolutely it. I've always been interested, but assumed it was unobtanium for my 6.8". But, one quarantine upside, more time on boards and YouTube has me convinced that the larger watches might work. Excited to try on later this week or next.

Cryten - "PSO" had me laughing. But I'm wondering if I'm not drawn to this brand because it has been so hard to learn about. Makes it a lot more fun than just buying, y'know, a thing w/springs and gears.
Old 3 May 2021, 11:08 PM   #12
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
914 is nice, clean, classic. I too went from Omega (which I am a big fan) to Panerai. Although I picked the 42 mm 722. I knew I was going to wear it 24\7 365, And like you, I wanted a watch for what ever I got in to. Be it working, vacation, swimming etc.

I have about the same size wrist as the OP and to be honest, I don't even feel the watch as it sits so well. (mine came with a bracelet) I have also ordered a strap just to change things up a bit if I feel like it. P9010 movement is also great, started out a little fast, but now has settled down nicely. And the 8 year warranty provides a little confidence should anything arise in the future. Though I doubt I will ever need it. After wearing a few weeks I appreciate the craftsmanship, design and function of a Panerai. I too get a warm and fuzzy feeling when I look at it, More so than I ever have with a Rolex, Omega or Breitling. This was also my first Panerai.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 11:51 PM   #13
Joearch
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
914 is a great looking watch.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 03:32 AM   #14
tedo
"TRF" Member

Really love their GMT models.
Old 4 May 2021, 06:28 AM   #15
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
Dont buy anything in 42mm. That's just a PSO (Panerai Shaped Object).

Try some on, you may be surprised what you can get away with. Try the different cases more than just different watches. No AD will have everything you want to see, but the cases will give you an idea of fit.

....And don't buy anything in 42mm. Take your time doing your homework, there's no rush. The Panerai range is overly complex and can be difficult to get into. Sadly there are no short cuts.
Why the hate on 42mm? Curious? There just as much a Panerai as any other model. 100% Panerai including the movement. Kinda like a 36 DJ is not worthy of the name, you have to get the 41mm?
Old 4 May 2021, 10:34 AM   #16
turpe
"TRF" Member

First Panerai - What to consider?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post
Why the hate on 42mm? Curious? Kinda like a 36 DJ is not worthy of the name, you have to get the 41mm?
44mm is the ‘classic’ Panerai size - at least for the brand’s modern offerings, with 47mm being more true to the roots of the company as a supplier of instruments before the 90s relaunch. 42mm is (rightly or wrongly) seen as a further dilution/bastardization of this.

As an aside, your Rolex equivalence is the wrong way round - with 36mm being the classic DateJust size, the 41mm is the ‘not quite the same’ choice in that equation.
Old 4 May 2021, 11:05 AM   #17
WatchThinker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why the hate on 42mm? Curious? There just as much a Panerai as any other model. 100% Panerai including the movement. Kinda like a 36 DJ is not worthy of the name, you have to get the 41mm?

I think there is something to understanding the main thrust of the watch's DNA - so I get it. IN the meantime, looking back at the Egyptian divers - these 42mms look so much like the original, it personally wouldn't stop me from buying it is that's the size that worked for me. Case in point, it appears to be all over the boards that Panerai is about to launch a white ( Bianco ) 42mm submersible. A white watch tends to wear larger - it could easily change the calculation of what size to go for....

Though, I think the advice of being open to bigger sizes makes a lot of sense to me. It's part of the fun. See if you really can go to 44/5mm on a luminor . Really buy something very different.

Contacted the AD I plan on visiting - they have a big supply. They sent me a few wrists shots from of the another luminor, but I'm not sure of it's model, the 42mm Submersible , and an Omega 300M - it looked to me like submersible would work for me at 42mm - no questions. The trick will be to take that and push it up a bit in size and see. I'm using the Speedy as a reference.
Old 4 May 2021, 08:25 PM   #18
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

The sub's are very nice indeed. I have looked at them myself. Right now I am eyeing a PAM00537. It's speaks to me and it's wanting me to take it home.
Old 5 May 2021, 12:04 AM   #19
WatchThinker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The sub's are very nice indeed. I have looked at them myself. Right now I am eyeing a PAM00537. It's speaks to me and it's wanting me to take it home.
The GMT? Lovely watch!
Old 5 May 2021, 08:41 AM   #20
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Others have already covered the basics. Panerai never made 42mm, they were always big. If you want 100% Panerai then a watch and movement made by someone else fitted with a Panerai dial would be techincally correct.

Richemont rode the Panerai gravy train hard and have killed the goose that laid the golden eggs. There are many great references out there, and prices are creeping back up on the secondary market as years of oversupply and endless "limited" editions have slowly been absorbed by true enthusiasts.

Take your time researching, avoid 42mm and all of the Due line and you'll be fine.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2021, 09:56 AM   #21
WatchThinker
"TRF" Member

Good News - made contact with some really friendly ADs for Panerai. Quite a fun experience so far. Supplies are a little tricky for what I want - but doesn't look insurmountable, at all, for the 914. The 42mm divers are easy to find. The new Bianco divers aren't a thing yet, which is just tragic. Hopelly putting watches on wrists week after next.

Am I just lucky so far - or are the Panerai dealers pretty enthusiastic?
Old 5 May 2021, 10:49 AM   #22
BoilerRxZ06
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
I’m a sucker for the 112/176. Just classic Panerai. Good luck with whatever you choose. They’re such great watches.
BoilerRxZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2021, 10:45 PM   #23
turpe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Am I just lucky so far - or are the Panerai dealers pretty enthusiastic?
I don’t think it’s that you’re lucky, per se - it’s more that, as Panerai is such an acquired taste, once someone loves the brand, they tend to really love the brand.

I’d also wager that, if you’re used to a certain kind of AD, that tends to focus on certain brands, the fact that you’re not being expected to be grateful for the chance to give them a large sum of money and/or buy a bunch of stuff that you don’t want to prove that you’re ‘worthy’ of getting on a 3-year waitlist for the one model you do actually want, is probably quite a novel experience.
Old 29 May 2021, 07:55 PM   #24
WatchThinker
"TRF" Member

QUESTION FOR ALL : How does the Marina 1312 / 1314 wear compared to the base ( thinking 914 ). How doe these cases compare? Anyone have experience with this?
Old 30 May 2021, 02:21 PM   #25
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
Went to an AD to look at Black Bays and came away remembering that I’m not crazy about the thickness.

The SA brought out a few Panerai models, including a 904, as well as a black Cartier Santos. If I had to have ranked my choices before walking in I would’ve gone 1. BB 2. Santos 3. Probably wander to the Tag or Baume and Mercier section. I would not have even considered the Panerai.

But the I tried on the 904 42 mm... totally changed my mind. I liked the way it wore better than the BB and Santos.

I wasn’t prepared to spend $6500 today, but I’m definitely going to look at Panerai more closely!

Of course, judging by the number of times they reminded me they also sell PP, I must've looked ready to drop serious $$$.

For reference, my wrist is 7".
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 02:39 PM   #26
Haveapair
Banned

Buy new and get your name on the card, and add your own memories and scratches, not someone else's
Haveapair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2021, 03:09 PM   #27
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
Panerai is definitely a watch that’ll depreciate a lot from full retail. Hopefully the AD will discount 15-20%. You can extend your warranty to 8 years which is nice. If you opt for a submersible, titanium is a good choice as the steel Subs can be heavy.

Be prepared to go totally overboard buying straps. So much so, that at some point you’ll have so many, it’s just dumb not to buy another Panerai. :)
Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2021, 07:12 PM   #28
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
i have a pam 510 and omega seamaster.

both are nice but the seamaster is more versatile.
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2021, 12:30 PM   #29
WatchThinker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalobyte View Post
Panerai is definitely a watch that’ll depreciate a lot from full retail. Hopefully the AD will discount 15-20%. You can extend your warranty to 8 years which is nice. If you opt for a submersible, titanium is a good choice as the steel Subs can be heavy.

Be prepared to go totally overboard buying straps. So much so, that at some point you’ll have so many, it’s just dumb not to buy another Panerai. :)
i am absolutely looking forward to the strap game!
Old 16 June 2021, 01:21 PM   #30
swink6112
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio Robot Watch
111 and have fun browsing for straps every single day
swink6112 is offline   Reply With Quote