The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 27 April 2021, 08:44 PM   #1
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Watchmakers opinions on the sky dweller movement?

The sky-dweller is one of my favourite watches and the first watch that really made me start to appreciate movements. I think the 9001 movement is fantastic I love the way the bezel integrates with the crown in setting the time zone and I find it so much quicker to read than the GMT second time zone - personally.

I’m not knowledgeable hugely on movements and would be interested to hear from some of our more experienced members of the forum, who are educated in movements what you think of the 9001?

If you have experience with other brands how would you compare it to a patek or a vacheron Constantin annual calendar for example?
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2021, 09:00 PM   #2
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
The sky-dweller is one of my favourite watches and the first watch that really made me start to appreciate movements. I think the 9001 movement is fantastic I love the way the bezel integrates with the crown in setting the time zone and I find it so much quicker to read than the GMT second time zone - personally.

I’m not knowledgeable hugely on movements and would be interested to hear from some of our more experienced members of the forum, who are educated in movements what you think of the 9001?

If you have experience with other brands how would you compare it to a patek or a vacheron Constantin annual calendar for example?

Me too I’m intrigued and fascinated by the way Rolex managed to control such a complicated complication with only one crown helped by the bezel. It’s ingenious because this eats they are able to keep a clean case without the ugly protruding pushers normally present on cases with similar movements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 April 2021, 10:01 PM   #3
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Beautiful dial and movement, too bad it is too big for my taste

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2021, 10:24 PM   #4
SearChart
TechXpert

From what I've seen it is a pretty cool movement. Haven't worked on one myself since I do not have the required amount of experience to do the training yet.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2021, 10:37 PM   #5
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
From what I've seen it is a pretty cool movement. Haven't worked on one myself since I do not have the required amount of experience to do the training yet.
Thanks for your input bas. Would you be able to elaborate anymore on the trainings required by Rolex to be able to work on a sky dweller, how long it takes etc? is it a case of you really wouldn’t know what you were doing with a 9001 movement because it’s so different to any other Rolex movement even with your experience?
Old 27 April 2021, 10:40 PM   #6
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watchmakers opinions on the sky dweller movement?

Quote:

I think this is a point many WIS may not fully understand Bas. It is one of the strengths of relying on RSC to do overhauls on particularly complex movement complications.

I recall when my local Rolex-certified watchmaker explained his “decision making tree” about achieving certain levels of Rolex certs at Lititz.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2021, 06:24 AM   #7
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Just going to give this a little bump if anyone else would like to share their perspectives :)
Old 28 April 2021, 06:39 AM   #8
gt0279a
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
An interesting read & video here:

https://thewatchlounge.com/rolex-sky...ew-with-price/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKb4J3SS26A
Rolex Sea Dweller 126600 | Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 | Rolex Sea Dweller 16600 | Rolex Submariner 16610 | Rolex Submariner 1680
gt0279a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2021, 01:34 AM   #9
nda
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Patek and Vacheron spend a great deal of time in movement finishing. This can then be observed and enjoyed through a glass case-back. Their movements are undoubtedly 'prettier' than Rolex movements as a result and that's a large part of what you pay for.

Having said that, the Sky Dweller movement is finished well, but not to Patek levels.

I think it's actually quite cool that Rolex hide their most complex movement (as they do with all movements pretty much). Also Rolex are not really 'art' in the same way - Rolex are, supposedly, tough watches, put them on and keep them on. Patek are not.

In terms of Patek/Vacheron calendars - the Sky Dweller is better in my view. There is no 'danger zone' in terms of adjusting the time, GMT, date or month - you can go backwards or forwards whenever you like. It's idiot proof and robust - that's quite an achievement in horological terms. The Sky Dweller manual does not come with warnings about how and when to adjust the time.
nda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2021, 01:56 AM   #10
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
Patek Philippe movement finishing is just exquisite

This is one of mine ….

Sent from my iPhone 12 using Tapatalk
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 04:53 AM   #11
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Thanks for your input bas. Would you be able to elaborate anymore on the trainings required by Rolex to be able to work on a sky dweller, how long it takes etc? is it a case of you really wouldn’t know what you were doing with a 9001 movement because it’s so different to any other Rolex movement even with your experience?
It's not overly complicated and I'm sure I could manage just fine with the technical documentation. The training itself is just 2 weeks, and is paired with the YM2 and is only given to those who have already had the first training (base 3 week) and the Daytona training.

Not everyone in a workshop will be trained up to this level, even if you already did the Daytona training. So no guarantee I will actually get the training. And Sky-Dwellers don't come in that often...

But don't forget, I only graduated watchmaking school 3 years ago, so plenty of years to come, so I will probably get the training at some point.

Old 30 April 2021, 04:54 AM   #12
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I think this is a point many WIS may not fully understand Bas. It is one of the strengths of relying on RSC to do overhauls on particularly complex movement complications.

I recall when my local Rolex-certified watchmaker explained his “decision making tree” about achieving certain levels of Rolex certs at Lititz.

I prefer to be a 'jack of all trades' rather than specialize in one specific movement. So any training is more than welcome
Old 3 May 2021, 10:34 PM   #13
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's not overly complicated and I'm sure I could manage just fine with the technical documentation. The training itself is just 2 weeks, and is paired with the YM2 and is only given to those who have already had the first training (base 3 week) and the Daytona training.

Not everyone in a workshop will be trained up to this level, even if you already did the Daytona training. So no guarantee I will actually get the training. And Sky-Dwellers don't come in that often...

But don't forget, I only graduated watchmaking school 3 years ago, so plenty of years to come, so I will probably get the training at some point.

Thankyou this is exactly the kind of perspective I was looking for :)