The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 4 May 2021, 02:31 AM   #31
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
As long as your mdx is comfortable for you, keep it.

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 05:14 AM   #32
.brian.
"TRF" Member

Watch: in Philadelphia
If you do replace, why Lexus? Why not another MDX? You can probably score a brand new 2020 AWD Tech for under $40,000 OTD at this point. I just replaced our 2013 with a 2020 and it is night and day and I wish I had done it sooner. The reason for the great deals on 2020's is because the 2022's are out, which is completely redesigned. Almost $60,000 for a 2022 or $40,000 for a brand new 2020.
.brian. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 05:19 AM   #33
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, ALS
We were looking at the Lexus because it’s a little smaller than the MDX. We don’t need a 3rd anymore. We did consider the RDX too, but the safety ratings weren’t as high. Plus we aren’t replacing the MDX...just adding to it, so we don’t really need 2 of the same car.
Another car we am have considered is the Rav4. In the Limited trim, it actually has more features than a more basic RX. The main reason we ended up leaning more towards the RX is because we felt the V6 of the RX would be a little smoother and responsive on highways vs the 4 cylinder Rav4. The second reason is just the slightly more comfortable interior of the RX.
acaixguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 11:35 AM   #34
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I'm an advocate of driving a car 'til the wheels fall off.....then I put new wheels on it.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 12:06 PM   #35
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Car guy here also with daughters and just my .02 on what I have done and would do in your situation.

1. Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura are all extremely reliable vehicles and will go to 200k to 300k miles with regularly scheduled maintenance easily. Also on long road trips, highway driving is very easy on the vehicle's engine, transmission and other components. That being said, do a cooling system flush and have the mechanic change the coolant hoses, especially at the neck where the radiator connects with the engine block. It's a 12 year old car and this is cheap insurance.

2. Don't buy a new car now. Everything is overpriced including new AND used cars and you don't need it now. Keep your powder dry for when you really may need to buy a car such as after an accident (God forbid).

3. Moving the twins to the MDX and/or Fit in the future will ensure lower insurance premiums on older vehicles.

4. Having your kids learn a manual transmission is smart... you never know what situation they will be in.

5. Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable with my newly licensed driver in a Honda Fit just because of the size of it. Another alternative could be you keep the Fit for yourself and buy a used car when they're ready to drive along with the MDX.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 07:58 PM   #36
ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ{Adventure!)
"TRF" Member

Since everyone has given you grey advice on how to proceed with your original post topic, I’ll get into the second being your daughters.

I would honestly look towards getting used cars that are meant for the purpose of where they’d plan on going.

SUVs and Minivans are great, but just like how they can haul lots of stuff, they can haul lots of people....who in teen years are usually distractions.
To solve this, I’m building my niece a Miata— simple 4cyl engine to work on and learn from even if not a car person, parts are cheap, excellent aftermarket support for when dealership visits don’t make sense, and come in both manual and auto variants (I’m putting her in a stick shift of course). Most of all I go by the old roadster adage: “kids in the back seats cause accidents & accidents in the back seats cause kids; no backseats = no accidents”.

If you know your daughters will be occasionally driving through unpredictable terrain (I live in Denver and go anywhere from Aspen to New Mexico every other day), then nothing beats a car with all wheel drive. There has been quite a few times I’ve helped teens fish their cars out of tricky ice spots on mountain roads with my Jeep Wrangler (winches are awesome). Older Subarus, Jeep Wranglers, and 4x4 Toyotas are amazing for this. Plus if they ever want to make their car cooler, there’s again tons of aftermarket support and strong car communities that are on the level of a WIS but with their cars.

All things aside though passing your car to your daughters is also a great idea especially if they immediately associate all their fun memories with it.
I never got a chance to inherit my father’s dodge sedan (I became a car guy well after he passed and it was sold, so I don’t even remember what it was), but it heavily influenced me buying a new Charger this year despite knowing its RWD and I’m always in the snow lol.

Lots to think about, but as you watch your kids grow you’ll have cues on what directions to drive towards with their first cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ{Adventure!) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 10:45 PM   #37
Sperry
"TRF" Member

A 12-year old Acura MDX would be prized among the financially-struggling-with-kids inlaws or a Road Warrier in sales. Even my dental hygeinist of 27 years (wow, long time yes!) mentioned yesterday she's looking for her next used vehicle to rack up another quick 100k miles.
Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 12:31 AM   #38
mrricks
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Most of the taxis in the Persian Gulf countries are Toyota Corollas, I’ve seen some with 600,000 miles on them. They see a lot of hard use, six goats in the back seat and a baby camel in the trunk.
Old 6 May 2021, 12:49 AM   #39
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Keep driving it until it stops driving. It will probably take another100K miles, at the least
Old 6 May 2021, 03:38 PM   #40
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
My 2008 BMW has 91,000 miles. I purchased it new, and the original owner. Like you OP. I’ve done routine maintenance, and had to repair some minor issues. The car is 13 years old, it looks good, and runs great. I take really good care of it.

I would probably rent a car for your trip down to Florida, and your other road trips. Spending thousands, and having to insure another car I personally wouldn’t do.

Enjoy your road trips, and stay safe.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 04:10 PM   #41
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
From a mechanical perspective, that isn't much mileage at all, especially if the car has been well-maintained.

From a safety perspective, cars have gotten more survivable in the past decade, especially with respect to certain side-impact and overlap accidents. Cars from 10 years ago are certainly still quite safe...however, they fare especially poorly with small overlap crashes, and the things that happens to the occupants in those accidents can be especially brutal.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 05:51 PM   #42
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I’m driving my ‘91 XJ6 this week.

So quiet and smooth......267000km.

Can’t beat Jaguar suspension.

And guess what, just like Rolex watches it’s value is rapidly increasing.

But like my Rolex watches...I will never sell it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A14813FD-EC1B-4531-ACFE-988D78E1A23F.jpeg (236.8 KB, 64 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 10:42 AM   #43
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post

Awesome! I had a 91 vanden plas in college. Loved that AJ6 motor.
Old 7 May 2021, 01:55 PM   #44
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Had the XJR in early 2000’s but that’s a story for another day. Gotta love BRG & FI in a V8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 06:06 AM   #45
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
We decided to keep our 2010 MDX (our 2nd…we bought a 2005 new when our 2nd kid was on the way…first SUV ever and we needed a 3rd row) for when our older kid turned 16 a few years ago. Although he grumbled about an uncool SUV, it was a great car and he ended up driving all of his friends around because of the 3rd row. Truth be told he’s a good and responsible driver, and I much preferred that he drive his friends around rather than him being the passenger in a car driven by another teenage boy. He took it to college out of state, and drove it up there 800 miles. It’s been in the snow etc., is well over 100k miles, and it’s going to keep going for a while. Today he’s moving out of his dorms, so of course its storage capacity comes in handy.

It has a few more dings than it did when we gave it to him (but to be accurate I also pre-dinged it for him), but that’s to be expected with a new driver, and the car is a tank. Plus, frankly, I think giving a teenager a “cool” car is asking for trouble.

We loved the 1st generation MDX, and the 2010 was early in the 2nd generation, with some quirks that were worked out later by Honda. It had some oil consumption issues, but I think there was a recall and it was fixed. It’s dependable and safe, and certainly worth more to us than its book value is. Definitely keep it for your kids. When we got the 2010, we gave my mother in law the 2005 MDX, and she drove it until 2017, when we got her a newer and smaller car (grandkids were grown and she didn’t need a 3rd row SUV). I think she sold it to her gardener who I’m sure is still driving it. I still see a lot of 1st generation MDXs on the road.

Our neighbor worked for Honda engineering so he got a new MDX every year or so. I think he’s on 5th or 6th (they had some Pilots in the interim). He has the 2020, and loves it, so I agree with other comments re getting the 2020. Its technology is very good. He said the Lexus is Toyota’s luxury division whereas Acura is Honda’s performance division.

For a new car, if you don’t need a 3rd row then consider the Acura RDX.

That being said, I need an SUV, but don’t want a massive one, and drive a MBZ AMG GLC 43. The drivers assist and parking assist features are why I got it.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 09:52 AM   #46
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

You mentioned third row seating. My wife has a 2015 GMC Acadia. I think it was the last year for the full size Acadia. Just the three of us. The third row seats are 99% of the time folded down. We have Weathertech cargo mats and floor mats throughout. The third row folded down makes for a huge cargo area. Our son's soccer and baseball gear just stays in the car unless it's getting washed. Car has 45,000 on it, bought it off a two year lease with 24,000 on it. Always serviced properly. Hope to have it a long time.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 09:55 AM   #47
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post

That's a beautiful car!! You're about the only person I ever remember bragging about the reliability of a Jag!! My Aunt has a 1986 XJ, I think that was the last year of the Series 3 body style. I hope to have it in my garage some day!!
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote