The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 April 2021, 06:25 AM   #121
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

Ming 17.09 Announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianj View Post
Next time use a Chase card! The typical visa authorization screen popped up and then the transaction went through without a PIN number text or anything.

I ultimately did use a Chase card. It just kept timing out with the processor so I tried an MC one time and boom - bought myself a Ming and 20 minutes on hold to get my card unlocked later .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Topspin14m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2021, 10:53 AM   #122
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

hah wife tried using the credit card and apparently it's been marked with fraudulent charge...
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2021, 12:41 PM   #123
oMajdo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavster View Post
In my order confirmation email the title was “Order 2017-xxxx confirmed” where xxxx was the order number. I understand that existing owners ordering on the first day had numbers starting 33xx, then 300 releases the following day, so I think my order number of 36xx is one of the earlier ones for the final day. With Ming saying that the got around 2000 orders in total, that suggests to me that the last orders will be in the 55xx or so...
Thanks! Checked now and I'm just south of order #5,200. There you go folks, probably 5.5k orders tops!
oMajdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2021, 03:35 PM   #124
sgwatch
"TRF" Member

I didn't realize you had to keep trying. I tried one card twice, after having alerted my bank, and it was declined. I tried a Chase card, and it was declined. Then I stopped. "Next time" I'll know to keep trying.
sgwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2021, 03:36 PM   #125
buddman
"TRF" Member

My reference number was 2017-36xx, and I got mine on day 2 when they released 150 of the 2 variants. So if anything, the number might refer to the total number of watches they have ever produced since they launched in 2017, not just this release?
buddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2021, 10:42 PM   #126
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddman View Post
My reference number was 2017-36xx, and I got mine on day 2 when they released 150 of the 2 variants. So if anything, the number might refer to the total number of watches they have ever produced since they launched in 2017, not just this release?
Agree
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2021, 03:52 AM   #127
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Or they could have started the order number range at any random number they chose. Maybe they started at 3500. Maybe they started at 3000. It doesn't have to be an actual number used for accounting purposes or with any significance whatsoever.
Old 19 April 2021, 03:55 AM   #128
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatch View Post
I didn't realize you had to keep trying. I tried one card twice, after having alerted my bank, and it was declined. I tried a Chase card, and it was declined. Then I stopped. "Next time" I'll know to keep trying.
As someone who tried 4 different cards -- there was order declined timed out (or something like that) and order declined. The first type was just due to an error with the payment processor. I tried like 10 times and got my order to eventually go through without timing out. Then there were other cards that said order declined with no mention of a timing issue. Those cards got flagged for potential fraud and were not going to process through no matter what I did in the 10 minutes.
Old 19 April 2021, 05:54 AM   #129
madgpol
"TRF" Member

A little late now but it's worth notifying your card company in advance if you know you are going to be making an unusual payment online on a specific date. They can mark your account so to avoid any issues.
madgpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2021, 06:13 AM   #130
oMajdo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I suppose this checks out!
oMajdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2021, 03:05 PM   #131
golffoxtrot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountank2000 View Post
Mine in the 4900s, went through at about 8 minutes past (still no email confirmation after hour and a half).

Quite like the idea of having a 'cult' watch, though no doubt some other semi-microbrand will be trending by the time they actually build and ship them.
Mine was in the 4400s and I got it done around 5 minutes past, so sounds about right
golffoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 01:47 AM   #132
chows99
"TRF" Member

This thread is good for Ming enthusiasts to share about this micro brand. The Instagram page is not that community friendly though.
chows99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 10:00 PM   #133
christianj
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chows99 View Post
This thread is good for Ming enthusiasts to share about this micro brand. The Instagram page is not that community friendly though.
IG is more about posting content for others to admire than sharing experiences with a brand so I think you’ve found the right place.
christianj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 12:17 AM   #134
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A bit late for #mingmonday, but we didn’t want to rush the post-launch admin and recap process. Here are some quick highlights and takeaways from the 17.09 launch last week - more to follow on a dedicated website post later this week. Please also note that as we’re still swamped with admin, we may not reply to comments on this post. Please email us with any queries.
Across both variants and all the order windows, the number of watches produced stands at over 2,000 pieces. As the 17.09 is not a limited edition (and our process to weed out flippers and people attempting to purchase above the quantity limit) still continues, we will not be disclosing exact and final production numbers. The same goes for the split between dial colours, but we can say that the blue had a slight edge - the split was roughly 55%/45% in favour of the Blue.
After combing through e-mails and messages all weekend, it seems that the time limited batch was, for the most part, welcomed by collectors and eased the order process significantly. It was not 100% glitch free though as we did face some bandwidth issues on our payment processor’s end. We will work with them to improve bandwidth allocation in the future.
For those who had payment approval issues - further discussions with our payment provider and anecdotal data shows that issues primarily arise when the card/ banks does not utilise 3D Secure Authentication. If 3D Secure is enabled, transaction approvals are consistently high and rejected payments are usually due to incorrect passwords/ verification codes being entered.
By and large, we have not had anyone attempting to purchase more than one watch in each dial colour. To date only one individual was found who purchased a total of 8x 17.09s - all these orders have been cancelled and refunded and the individual blacklisted from future purchases.
Thank you again #watchfam for the support and warm welcome shown to the #mingwatches #1709 and have a great week!
From their instagram - https://www.instagram.com/p/CN49_vhLjTc/
thesingularity7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 01:43 AM   #135
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

All things considered, Ming did an exceptional job of listening to the community's feedback and working around the challenges they were facing. Kudos to this young, original company and wishing them continued success.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 05:24 AM   #136
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBM View Post
All things considered, Ming did an exceptional job of listening to the community's feedback and working around the challenges they were facing. Kudos to this young, original company and wishing them continued success.

+1

I think they are doing it right. Being a photographer I’m even more interested than I would be vs other micro brands. The aesthetic is attractive to me and the 10 minute window gave me a chance at actually getting one.
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 09:08 AM   #137
christianj
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbm View Post
all things considered, ming did an exceptional job of listening to the community's feedback and working around the challenges they were facing. Kudos to this young, original company and wishing them continued success.
+2

I also admire them for trying to weed out flippers. It’s likely a hard task that they and Kurono are trying to work on. I’m waiting on a Kurono Chrono 2 and so far I’ve seen 3 hit the internet for between $10-12.5k which is frustrating since people are flipping them already while I wait as a buyer. We’ve all bought watches we end up selling for numerous reasons as part of this hobby but the people that sell that quickly are just in it for the profit. The flippers will hopefully be denied access to future releases.
christianj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 09:24 AM   #138
accountank2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN, 79220R
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBM View Post
Yes, well said. This will be my first Ming, and really my first 'lesser known' watch brand. Looking forward to it.

Of the two, I slightly preferred the blue. It looks really good and the strap seems a great match. But blue is an easy colour to get along with, so I told myself it was the lazy option - and I already have a blue watch (and on waitlist for another); I need to live a little. Ordered the burgundy. YOLO!
accountank2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 10:58 AM   #139
chows99
"TRF" Member

#teamred too! I love how the taupe strap match against the burgundy dial which makes it very attractive.
Old 21 April 2021, 11:02 AM   #140
jw0n
"TRF" Member

Looks like it is a 55/45 split in favour of blue. Pretty close!

Instagram: @itsjw0n
jw0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 07:22 PM   #141
pexus
"TRF" Member

Two news variants of the 17.09 were announced, in collaboration with Massena LAB.

I am confused. I thought the 'Blue and Burgundy was the last of the 17.09' (which means no more 17.09) ?

But it seems the latest replies from the manufacturer on social media is saying '17.09 is the last of the 17 series' (which potentially means more 17.09 variants can be possible). And the main tune is now `there will be no more Blue and Burgundy 17.09'. Does this mean more colors are possible?
Old 15 May 2021, 07:47 PM   #142
RolexBHR
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO
Quote:
Originally Posted by pexus View Post
Two news variants of the 17.09 were announced, in collaboration with Massena LAB.

I am confused. I thought the 'Blue and Burgundy was the last of the 17.09' (which means no more 17.09) ?

But it seems the latest replies from the manufacturer on social media is saying '17.09 is the last of the 17 series' (which potentially means more 17.09 variants can be possible). And the main tune is now `there will be no more Blue and Burgundy 17.09'. Does this mean more colors are possible?
Me too, I thought the 17 series was over, not surprised though with how much they are charging its too good to pass up and not make anymore of it.
RolexBHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 07:52 PM   #143
pexus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexBHR View Post
Me too, I thought the 17 series was over, not surprised though with how much they are charging its too good to pass up and not make anymore of it.
Indeed
I have spent some time reading (or rather, reread again carefully) between the lines on their website and social media. They are good and often use phrases such as `discontinued', `last of the..', `no more..' to create hype.

This is a good example. The marketing strategy created this perception that the blue and burgundy will end the 17 series. But it doesn't mean that no more 17.09 variants will be produced.
Old 15 May 2021, 09:56 PM   #144
beefeater21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pexus View Post
Indeed
I have spent some time reading (or rather, reread again carefully) between the lines on their website and social media. They are good and often use phrases such as `discontinued', `last of the..', `no more..' to create hype.

This is a good example. The marketing strategy created this perception that the blue and burgundy will end the 17 series. But it doesn't mean that no more 17.09 variants will be produced.
Completely agree. This is, imho, marketing that is designed to obfuscate. I expect this from my internet provider or from an airline. I didn't expect it from a luxury watch brand. My mistake.
beefeater21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 06:11 AM   #145
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Interesting update from Ming. Still waiting on my 17.09

<MING 17.09 Movement Upgrade and Warranty Extension

Dear friends,

This e-mail is to share what we know is an eagerly awaited update on the status of your 17.09 order - thank you in advance for your patience.

In light of issues discovered in the early 17.09 Massena LAB watches, we have developed two improvements to rectify operation. Firstly, the retaining spring for the hour gear, and secondly, the cam and jumper spring profile for the independent hour setting mechanism. These improvements require new, upgraded movement components and will be applied to all 17.09s going forward.

We will thoroughly test the changes and we also wish you the same confidence in our products - therefore we will be extending the warranty on your 17.09 for an additional year from the date of delivery, for a total of three years.

The implementation of these changes and movement upgrades will not affect the delivery of your 17.09 and we remain on schedule, as per the original delivery estimates emailed to you on 31 May 2021.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

- Team MING>
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 07:32 AM   #146
loftycomfort
"TRF" Member

A bit off topic, but I notice that EWC briefly had a Ming 17.03 listed today (sold now). Is this the first time that EWC is trading Ming pieces?

I'm not sure if this is just a blip or if it means something bigger for the brand, but I thought I'd share.
loftycomfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 07:13 AM   #147
Gavster
"TRF" Member

I have decided I don’t want to take the risk with the movement issues for the 17.09 so have cancelled my order for the blue 17.09.
Gavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 11:29 PM   #148
chows99
"TRF" Member

Will they refund you if you chose to cancel?
Old 10 September 2021, 12:28 AM   #149
Gavster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chows99 View Post
Will they refund you if you chose to cancel?
I’ve already received the refund.
Gavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2021, 01:31 AM   #150
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavster View Post
I’ve already received the refund.
what is the process of cancellation
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
17.09 , ming , ming 17 , release , watch