The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 16 May 2021, 09:09 AM   #31
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
As many have pointed out.... get what you like. If that’s a Sub, then great. But don’t fall victim to brand marketing or the influence of others telling you which is the one to have.

I own both a PO and a sub. I will tell you, in my opinion, the PO is the better watch. Sure, it may not have as good of resale (if that’s important to you?). Or as high of prestige factor. But i don’t care about either of those factors. I simply judge a watch on its technical merits. And i think the omega wins that battle fairly easily.

Related to weight.... i went with the titanium version and found that to be a ‘best of both worlds’ solution. Just something to consider for anyone who is considering a purchase.

stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 01:30 PM   #32
Llamathurst
"TRF" Member

This one is a chonker, but probably the most well made watch I have...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DaxPhotography-1701.jpg (255.2 KB, 293 views)
Llamathurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 11:39 PM   #33
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Many great points made here. Easily the best watch I own in terms of build quality, movement innovations, and design elements such as the clasp, etc.

I own a Rolex along with a few others and still feel the Planet Ocean is the best watch to get these days.

RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2021, 12:09 AM   #34
rmagoo57
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
Saw this pic recently. You can compliment your Sub or SD with a "polar" Seamaster or PO! Not a bad combo IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg black and white subz.JPG (56.7 KB, 278 views)
rmagoo57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2021, 02:58 AM   #35
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmagoo57 View Post
Saw this pic recently. You can compliment your Sub or SD with a "polar" Seamaster or PO! Not a bad combo IMO.
That’s a pretty sweet combo
Old 30 May 2021, 01:47 AM   #36
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
I love my PO 2500, it's 42mm, not quite as hefty as the current models but after 10 years still looks great, bracelet is solid, keeps time within specs despite no service. I just like the aesthetics of the Planet Ocean over the Sub.

Omega owners tend to really like the watches; Rolex owners like the name.
Old 31 May 2021, 10:20 PM   #37
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Have owned a few subs and moved all of them on. They are nice but they aren't 3-4 or 5 Omegas nice. I keep coming back to the fact that having a neat zipper click bezel isn't worth $8,000+ more than the Omega PO.

The Omega has a dead silent rotor, smoother winding jump hour movement, better movement finish, completely amagnetic, has a matching date wheel with PVD date font that glitters in the sun, applied Omega logo vs Rolex print only, more water resistance, more easily adjustable clasp, real dive extension, more case finish details, ceramic bezel has smooth liquid metal inlay that doesn't catch dirt and sand etc.

You're leaving nothing on the table passing on the sub other than potential profit.

Well said.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2021, 05:46 AM   #38
motiontimers
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojosnr View Post
You will not go wrong with this. Solidly built, accurate, realiable and a beauty. I have it in both rubber andb leather straps.

Attachment 1216888
Stunning!
motiontimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2021, 06:09 AM   #39
Oldwoods
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Hulk
I have very recently picked up the Orange bezel, white dial PO and it is much more comparable to my Seadweller than a sub. I enjoy wearing them both but the PO in the colours I have is a bit more fun.
Old 20 August 2021, 08:35 AM   #40
Texans93
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 43

Had this on my wrist all day for fun in the sun at South Beach. Just rinsed it off and put it away. Dinner and drinks later and taking Speedy out on the town. Best two watch combo, for me at least!
I’ve owned the 114060 and while a beautiful watch, the PO is just better in my opinion. Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texans93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2021, 12:40 PM   #41
nm4710
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
I love my PO 2500, it's 42mm, not quite as hefty as the current models but after 10 years still looks great, bracelet is solid, keeps time within specs despite no service. I just like the aesthetics of the Planet Ocean over the Sub.

Omega owners tend to really like the watches; Rolex owners like the name.
I have the same watch and have enjoyed it for a decade. Did send it to Omega for the spa treatment and it came back lovely. I love the sub but the PO is just more my style.

N
nm4710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2021, 02:10 PM   #42
MJ EXPLORER
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Air-King
Quote:
Originally Posted by avusblue View Post
I was in the same boat as the OP. Over the winter, I had asked my AD to be put "on the list" for a no-date Sub 41, and was waiting patiently. Meanwhile, in February, I just happened to stumble upon the Planet Ocean 43.5 at a dealer -- I saw the watch and fell in love at first sight. I bought it on the spot, and love it.

Then, just a couple weeks later, I got "the call" from the Rolex AD. Went in and bought the no-date Sub. It's exquisite -- handsome and ideally proportioned -- those who call it "the perfect watch" are not wrong -- and I love it, too.

But, the Planet Ocean has remained the one I daily wear ..... I just find it to be more interesting to look at, more unique and fun (orange accents!), and with more assertive wrist presence than the ubiquitous, plain and conservative Sub. And the Omega has some positive features I really enjoy (quick adjust hour hand and transparent caseback, in particular). I find the fit & finish quality to be equal between the Omega and Rolex, and impressively, both watches are dead-nuts-on accurate (like, within a couple seconds per week). One surprise is that I found the Omega bracelet to be superior to Rolex. Its design, with female endlinks, smaller links, and the way it wraps around the wrist, makes it super comfortable. And the quick adjust mechanism is superior to the Rolex glide lock --Omega has finer graduations, and can be instantly adjusted without taking the watch off your wrist.

Overall, the answer to "which one" is of course to "buy both!" (Isn't that always the right call??) They both have a place in a collection, and are both enjoyable to own and admire. But, the one I found to be a better watch for me in the real world, and the one I continue to daily wear, has turned out to be the Omega.

Good luck, and Cheers!

This is a fantastic thread and an even better post. I agree withe everything you said about the PO. I recently realized I was lacking a true no nonsense sports watch in my collection. I saw the Sea Dweller at my local AD and absolutely loved it, but it wore a bit too large for me. Then a few days later I popped in an Omega boutique and was blown away by your exact PO. Thought about it several days and ended up with the black dial Explorer II. I actually received it today (about 10 hours ago actually).

It was really close between the Explorer II and the Omega Planet Ocean. I thought since I grabbed the Explorer II that there was no place for the PO in my collection. But when I look at your photo of them head to head, I am thinking there is absolutely room for both!

The PO is honestly the best looking watch I've seen in quite some time. I agree it's very interesting to look at and much more interesting than a Sub. It also wears really well thanks to the design of the bracelet. Not to mention, it's an amazing value for the price even at MSRP. But with a good discount it makes it a steal.

We have very similar collections! I was on the hunt for a two tone Date Just recently but ended up going with the Wimbledon dial Date Just 36 in steel. We both have black dial Explorer II's, and I think my next two watches will be the Omega Planet Ocean (your exact watch) and the new Omega Speedmaster Professional.
MJ EXPLORER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 11:08 AM   #43
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans93 View Post

Had this on my wrist all day for fun in the sun at South Beach. Just rinsed it off and put it away. Dinner and drinks later and taking Speedy out on the town. Best two watch combo, for me at least!
I’ve owned the 114060 and while a beautiful watch, the PO is just better in my opinion. Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am trying to accomplish what you have going on. I just got the new PO and want the 3861 SS. When I finally get it I will have obtained my goal of the best 2 watch collection for me. At which point I will gift the remainder of my collection to relatives and call it done. My "Exit strategy " so to speak.

Been at this long enough to know exactly what I want and makes things simple for myself. Can't wait.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote