The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 3 April 2021, 03:57 PM   #31
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aproo1 View Post
what exactly is eSteel? like any special recycled material or something?
Wondering that myself.

It's strange, since once processed (properly), steel is steel. Recycled or not. It's just steel.

So what's the point of calling it recycled, other than as a gimmick?
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 04:07 PM   #32
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aproo1 View Post
what exactly is eSteel? like any special recycled material or something?
It’s ridiculous text and ugly logo on a dial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Wondering that myself.

It's strange, since once processed (properly), steel is steel. Recycled or not. It's just steel.

Well, for some, there might be a “feel good” factor of having a watch that didn’t require additional natural resources to create.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 04:11 PM   #33
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Well, for some, there might be a “feel good” factor of having a watch that didn’t require additional natural resources to create.
I'm with you on that.

It's why I like EcoTitanium.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 05:46 PM   #34
Cru Jones

Upon further review, the two ceramic chronos (1135 and 1298) look pretty good (though a bit of a rehash of prior models). The Mike Horn 1298 is attractive. It’s hard not to like the 1111. I still think the 1068 is the clear winner.

I’m still not a fan of the “Omega aqua terra” Rads.

The mini-bronzo was inevitable. And it feels ho-hum.

Those day-date models look like nice Seikos.....

But what’s up with the gold Due for €40k?? The movement isn’t new. The Due case is small, so little gold. The price is insane.

As for e-steel, I like the idea, but I dislike the text/logo on the dial.
Old 3 April 2021, 05:47 PM   #35
Cru Jones

Duplicate post sorry
Old 3 April 2021, 07:45 PM   #36
arnage
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But what’s up with the gold Due for €40k?? The movement isn’t new. The Due case is small, so little gold. The price is insane.
appears that some of the extra cost is likely related to the "firenze" finishing (hard to confirm in the picture, but likely the case engraving that they've used in the past)
arnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 07:51 PM   #37
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage View Post
appears that some of the extra cost is likely related to the "firenze" finishing (hard to confirm in the picture, but likely the case engraving that they've used in the past)
Ah, thanks, didn’t see that at first in the photos.
Old 3 April 2021, 09:17 PM   #38
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
They're trying too hard. Awful and pricey.
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 09:35 PM   #39
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanPam View Post
A real flood of new releases, about 15 Limited Editions, perhaps more...I've more pics but I've arrived the limited of attachments lol...
So basically unlimited amounts of 'limited edition' timepieces (ROFLMAO). Was hoping for better from Panerai, yet in the back of my mind i expect as much from them. Big bummer. Ah well, the 01033 finally works well after two trips to service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch This View Post
They're trying too hard. Awful and pricey.
Exactly, they're not really 'all that' in the scheme of things imho. Have a feeling Panerai is a fashion watch company at this point with hints of case material science because that's all they got(?).

i look forward to hearing details about the super-duper secretive Gen 2 Panerai 9010 'Evolution' movement and how it must truly be the very best haute horology the industry has ever seen with revolutionary materials and unprecedented reliability. Considering they're removing features to make it more reliable, it's surely should be the most reliable timepiece on planet Earth and Rolex will be shaking in their shoes.

The great news is Panerai is far better than Patek Philippe as PAM knows how to match the date/etc windows with the main dial. This advanced technology is something PP still struggles with to this day after many decades of trying.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 09:49 PM   #40
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
So basically unlimited amounts of 'limited edition' timepieces (ROFLMAO). Was hoping for better from Panerai, yet in the back of my mind i expect as much from them. Big bummer. Ah well, the 01033 finally works well after two trips to service.

Uh, this is what Panerai has been doing for decades. Small batches of similar watches with certain regular series exceptions.

In that sense, this year’s release is like every other year.
Old 3 April 2021, 10:21 PM   #41
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Uh, this is what Panerai has been doing for decades. Small batches of similar watches with certain regular series exceptions.

In that sense, this year’s release is like every other year.
Ahhhh, and huge thanks for the info. Guess i was expecting more from Panerai. Ah well.

Am not a big-time 'Paneristi' as you seem to be. Guess i was hoping for more from the company, and again good to see they know how to match date windows with the main dial.

Glad i finally have the 01033 working well and think that's more than enough for me. One Panerai is probably enough for anyone really. Already gave up hope of ever seeing the 1118 after delays, and delays, and yes more delays. Plus in hindsight after my personal hype machine for my love for Tron, at $16k there are far better values out there. I'll hang back and see if Bob from Naples calls me anyway, maybe he'll tag me on a good day when i don't care about the high pricing as am not one to get the very attractive $400 VSF version that looks great and has been shipping for months.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 3 April 2021, 11:20 PM   #42
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Wondering that myself.

I am not a fan of any recycled materials in my luxury watch or at least marketing it as such. Panerai is testing that marketing gimmick starting with their straps and now metal. The sail material is clever but a Ecco friendly material luxury watch is absurd.

What I demand from any Panerai with a crown cam lock is the watch must have dive watch WR. I can accept a wr 100m if the watch has a complication that requires pushers. In the grand scheme of the entire lineup, the most unforgivable line to never cross would be a quartz movement which Panerai has never done but Rolex has with their “oyster quartz” yielding pitiful sales and decades of explaining that decision.
Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 11:47 PM   #43
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Wow, they just blew my 1209 out of the water. Sheesh

Mine hacks lol
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2021, 01:52 AM   #44
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

The slide into irrelevance is continuing.

I like the Chronos...but prices are begging for discounts.

I understand why they are making more gold references as that segment is hawt..

I don’t like the rest though. Just kind of a bizarre collection that nobody will be talking about when they are released.
Fleetlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2021, 02:50 AM   #45
SWS65SM
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rainbow....CasiOak
Quote:
Ahhhh, and huge thanks for the info. Guess i was expecting more from Panerai. Ah well.

Am not a big-time 'Paneristi' as you seem to be. Guess i was hoping for more from the company, and again good to see they know how to match date windows with the main dial.

Glad i finally have the 01033 working well and think that's more than enough for me. One Panerai is probably enough for anyone really. Already gave up hope of ever seeing the 1118 after delays, and delays, and yes more delays. Plus in hindsight after my personal hype machine for my love for Tron, at $16k there are far better values out there. I'll hang back and see if Bob from Naples calls me anyway, maybe he'll tag me on a good day when i don't care about the high pricing as am not one to get the very attractive $400 VSF version that looks great and has been shipping for months.

My contact recently received a firmer ETA on my 1118 to be end of this month or beginning of May. They’ve been very reliable in the past and would give honest feedback (such as no ETA was mentioned at all prior to this or the timing on other previous models). It’ll come when the time is right
SWS65SM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2021, 10:46 AM   #46
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...
Funny, scrolling through those exhaustive releases I saw nothing that would make me part with my PAM111. The Radiomirs were disappointing and the name has for some reason put Dexy’s Midnight Runners in my head.
Old 4 April 2021, 11:38 AM   #47
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWS65SM View Post
My contact recently received a firmer ETA on my 1118 to be end of this month or beginning of May. They’ve been very reliable in the past and would give honest feedback (such as no ETA was mentioned at all prior to this or the timing on other previous models). It’ll come when the time is right
Cool! Am still on the fence... and a HUGE Tron fan. Already have four bands specially for it (plus two bottles of special Dom P with Tron lighting). Am really hoping....... Look fwd to the official details.

Old 4 April 2021, 03:02 PM   #48
Trog
Banned

Panerai are marching down an interesting path. Sadly, they'll have to do it without me.

I wish them luck.
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2021, 04:18 PM   #49
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
quite disappointing.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2021, 08:17 PM   #50
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
I like the 1297 and 1298. Blu Notte looks great. The rest not as much. As I have been complaining about for the last few years the pricing has no basis in reality.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2021, 10:29 PM   #51
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Wow, look at this new technology and movement decoration... for under $5000. THIS is what i was hoping for Panerai. Let's see what the super secretive 9010 'Evolution' movement has before anyone makes full-judgment of course.

https://wornandwound.com/frederique-...c-manufacture/

Old 4 April 2021, 11:55 PM   #52
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Wow, look at this new technology and movement decoration... for under $5000. THIS is what i was hoping for Panerai. Let's see what the super secretive 9010 'Evolution' movement has before anyone makes full-judgment of course.

https://wornandwound.com/frederique-...c-manufacture/
Panerai was doing very well IMO with the high end, high tech proprietary materials. They then gave it a very good in-house movement that will easily go against any other premium movements and its showing to be superior to Rolex’s “32 series” of base movements. This was a win win as Panerai found their future niche while still keeping their classic Panerai look. Removing the hack feature of a well established P.9010 movement is nothing short of shooting themself in the foot while they are pulling ahead in a marathon. It’s baffling how a company with so many outstanding ideas can cough up pure crap like “recycled materials“ or “70 year warranty”. Then print “70 year warranty” on a exhibition case back to obscure the movement. This design idea should be grounds for dismissal.
Both ideas are not very appealing to a affluent crowd that buys luxury watches. If you can afford a $15k watch you can afford a routine service just like you can make eco-friendly statements with your hi efficiency appliances.
It’s like they have two separate management teams that has two different ideas on how and who to market a luxury watch.

Panerai now is all over the map and it’s like watching a really talented but crazy artist. They will produce a few genius pieces but you must put up with their crazy nonsensical pieces as well.
Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2021, 12:50 AM   #53
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Panerai was doing very well IMO with the high end, high tech proprietary materials. They then gave it a very good in-house movement that will easily go against any other premium movements and its showing to be superior to Rolex’s “32 series” of base movements. This was a win win as Panerai found their future niche while still keeping their classic Panerai look. Removing the hack feature of a well established P.9010 movement is nothing short of shooting themself in the foot while they are pulling ahead in a marathon. It’s baffling how a company with so many outstanding ideas can cough up pure crap like “recycled materials“ or “70 year warranty”. Then print “70 year warranty” on a exhibition case back to obscure the movement. This design idea should be grounds for dismissal.
Both ideas are not very appealing to a affluent crowd that buys luxury watches. If you can afford a $15k watch you can afford a routine service just like you can make eco-friendly statements with your hi efficiency appliances.
It’s like they have two separate management teams that has two different ideas on how and who to market a luxury watch.

Panerai now is all over the map and it’s like watching a really talented but crazy artist. They will produce a few genius pieces but you must put up with their crazy nonsensical pieces as well.
I wish I could have said this half as well. They put out some splendid piece that just captures your imagination, then follow it up with three or four decisions that make you think they are all eating paste all day. Bizarre. Overall the brand looks to be rapid-fire spit balling to find their identity. And all this against a backdrop where they are clearly overpriced relative to their intrinsic value in the market.

I want so badly for them to be successful, but I have my doubts.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2021, 03:23 AM   #54
Beto737
"TRF" Member

They’ve been successful with me. I’m a life time Rolex consumer since the early 2000s. I’ve only owned Rolex and two Omega watches up this point.

I recently purchased a PAM1209 Azzurro, and I couldn’t be happier! The fit, the look, and the functionality is perfect for my needs. At least until now, this piece feels just as solid as any of my Rolex pieces. It has become my everyday, everything, travel piece. I think Panarai hit a home run with this model. But, perhaps because of my lack of experience with the brand I’m a bit bias. I doubt it, I’ve worn a luxury timepiece almost e everyday since 2002.
Beto737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2021, 03:39 AM   #55
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Not interested in new PAMs,but very interested in some models from 2000 to 2008.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2021, 04:13 AM   #56
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

My sentiments are the same. Panerai is all over the place. Not sure what direction they are headed. Glad I kept my 025 sub and got the 979. I love this 979.
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2021, 12:47 PM   #57
thsiao
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman1 View Post
My sentiments are the same. Panerai is all over the place. Not sure what direction they are headed. Glad I kept my 025 sub and got the 979. I love this 979.
How much of this is due to the “new” CEO. I reckon he didn’t exactly save Roger Dubois. And for what it’s worth, it looks like RD is actually releasing nicer pieces now since his departure.
Old 5 April 2021, 07:29 PM   #58
56Diver
"TRF" Member

I guess they’re not launching any new BMG watches, maybe that is already something they’ve given up on? I have considered getting the BMG-Tech watch many times but haven’t pulled the trigger yet, wanted to see how it fared long term.
I think they’re trying too hard at times to be different.
56Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2021, 09:00 PM   #59
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto737 View Post
They’ve been successful with me. I’m a life time Rolex consumer since the early 2000s. I’ve only owned Rolex and two Omega watches up this point.

I recently purchased a PAM1209 Azzurro, and I couldn’t be happier! The fit, the look, and the functionality is perfect for my needs. At least until now, this piece feels just as solid as any of my Rolex pieces. It has become my everyday, everything, travel piece. I think Panarai hit a home run with this model. But, perhaps because of my lack of experience with the brand I’m a bit bias. I doubt it, I’ve worn a luxury timepiece almost e everyday since 2002.
Isnt 1068 better? 1209s are still available to web order. The paint is not dry on that limited and they put out 1068 that has a better dial and steel bracelet.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2021, 09:20 PM   #60
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
... Panerai ... it’s like watching a really talented but crazy artist....
I like this, it should be in their marketing campaign
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote