The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 28 April 2021, 11:27 PM   #1
PizzaAndCheesecake
"TRF" Member

Advice buying a new Aqua Terra

I’m looking to buy an Aqua Terra (38mm) on a rubber strap soon and I’m looking for some advice regarding purchasing from an AD or OB

I understand getting a discount on an omega is obtainable so I was wondering what I should be aiming for and what would be considered a good deal to be offered by either an AD or OB?

Thanks
PizzaAndCheesecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2021, 11:50 PM   #2
OrangeKenny
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
OB probably won’t do straight cash discounts. Better try an AD if that’s what you are after.
I would aim for 20%, but be happy with 15%.
The boutiques might be able to get to some freebies, like an extra strap or something. But probably not equivalent to the cash savings from an AD
OrangeKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 01:27 AM   #3
CognitiveDissonance
"TRF" Member

AFAIK ADs have a 20% cushion, so a 15-20% discount would be ideal. Might not swing that way depending on your reputation (if there is one) with the AD.
CognitiveDissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 01:40 AM   #4
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Excellent choice on the 38mm AT. Which color dial? As others have mentioned, you might be better off trying an AD first for a discount.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 02:25 AM   #5
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

The OB where I live won't give any discounts on anything. All I've been offered is a strap and some schwag. I think no discounting is the standard OB policy, they do that to protect the ADs.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 02:31 AM   #6
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Waste of time to deal with ob if you are looking for discount.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 05:15 AM   #7
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
A few months ago there was a thread about Omega getting very tight with discounts, no more of the days when 20% off was obtainable. I haven’t tried lately, but it may not be as much as it was.
Old 4 May 2021, 10:32 AM   #8
CognitiveDissonance
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
A few months ago there was a thread about Omega getting very tight with discounts, no more of the days when 20% off was obtainable. I haven’t tried lately, but it may not be as much as it was.
I was in an AD last week and they gave like 5% off lol, pretty weak
CognitiveDissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 10:29 PM   #9
Thx67
"TRF" Member

I guess it varies from region to region but the AT is often available with heavy discounts in the UK. I got over 20%. Cant remember the exact figure but I bought the bracelet at the same time and got a big discount on that as well. The huge discount will help with the secondary value of the watch. Theyre horrors to sell. Not an issue if its a "keeper" but I chose the wrong dial colour. I narrowed it down to 2 and ended up not liking my choice. When it came to selling it I really struggled. Some dealers wouldn't touch it at any price so be mindful of that when youre buying. Its a fantastic watch though so best of luck sourcing one
Thx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 02:02 AM   #10
wrxdev
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
Be prepared to take a bath if you don not intend to keep it for a long time. I would shoot for at least 20% from an AD. But I also won't be surprised if Omega ADs have also tightened the discount rates these days.
On another note, this is a lovely watch and I wear it almost everyday. I picked this up from a grey dealer in new condition with box and papers for 30%.
wrxdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 06:40 AM   #11
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I purchased a AT last year. No discount from the AD. Year before (2019) I did get a 15% discount on my PO as a veterans discount. This year I purchased the 300M chronograph and a 300M with a extra strap + a Panerai. I also received a 15% discount on all 3.
This year I too am looking to add a 38 AT PM on a strap for a more dress type wear watch. Hopefully will continue to receive a discount. All purchased from the same AD.

Having said that, I also buy from prestigetime.com. I call them on a piece I'm looking for (preowned) and can get a very good price.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 12:20 PM   #12
Chinballs
"TRF" Member

My AD only goes as low as 15% on some models but 13% is what I have got on two out of three watches. As with others experience, OB gives nothing.
Chinballs is offline   Reply With Quote