The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 May 2021, 12:14 AM   #1
fwhawk
"TRF" Member

Discontinued Watches

I am intrigued by watches that are no longer in production. One recent purchase, for example, was a Patek Philippe Neptune. I was enamored by the bracelet and nautical feel of the dial, but I was most attracted to the fact that it isn't being produced any more. What are your thoughts on the Neptune and other watches that have been discontinued?
fwhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 11:49 PM   #2
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
Sorry, but I was never a fan of the Neptune. There was nothing about it that I found appealing, not the case, the crown protector (which I thought looked clumsy), the bezel, the dial (I really don't like Romans on a sporty watch...with Cartier being the exception), the hands, nor the bracelet. It wasn't very popular when it was new. However, for years it helped make it a bargain on the pre-owned market when they came up for sale. In the 90's when it was new and the Nautilus was easily available at ADs with no-wait and with big discounts, I just didn't see the point of this piece.

They also made a sports watch on a bracelet, the Sculpture, which some call "The Russian watch" since it was made for the Russian market. This was another weird looking watch and it did nothing for me.

The only Patek sports watches I really like are the Nautilus 5711 and 5712 on bracelets. Other than those, if buying a Patek, I'd prefer a dress watch.
Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 02:16 AM   #3
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwhawk View Post
I am intrigued by watches that are no longer in production. One recent purchase, for example, was a Patek Philippe Neptune. I was enamored by the bracelet and nautical feel of the dial, but I was most attracted to the fact that it isn't being produced any more. What are your thoughts on the Neptune and other watches that have been discontinued?
I briefly owned a 5085 Neptune in SS, beautiful piece and super comfy. Used the 240 micro rotor and predated the 3712/5712. Water resistance was poor at 30m despite a screw down crown. Unfortunately I found it a bit too shiny so it quickly went again.
Russell996 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 09:24 PM   #4
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Watch: Journe, AP & Lange
Pretty much every watch will be discontinued at some point. Just about every watch that more than 20 years old is either discontinued or updated to the point that’s it’s basically a different watch.

Lots of love for older watches out there. If you like a watch design, go for it. Watches are merely taste, and everyone’s is different. I don’t really care for the Neptune, but if you like it get one, and wear it with pride.
Slider817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 09:44 PM   #5
Tumppi$
"TRF" Member

Sinn discontinued the EZM 13 recently. Great diving chrono and beater. One of those few chronographs which can be used (pushers) underwater.
Tumppi$ is offline   Reply With Quote