The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 May 2021, 07:36 AM   #1
Ds1980
"TRF" Member

Grandad’s omega

Hi all wondering if anyone could give me some details on gramps watch. Although I can’t post links or photos of it! Any help on how to do this appreciated. he was given it as a reward in a sales job many years ago. Have had it serviced and given a new glass. Needs a new strap. Could anyone also guide on where I might find something that suits.

Was bought 1962. Movement number is 17499316. Is 9ct Geneve. Has EL969 and 29T on the original receipt. Has a red leather original box and various markings on inside of the back once removed. Ta
Ds1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 10:34 AM   #2
OrangeKenny
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
Sounds like a nice piece, though I’m not versed enough to understand those numbers. A photo will be very helpful.
I believe you need to post a few more times before you are allowed to upload photos.

As for straps, Omega themselves sell excellent leather straps, and will be able to match a suitable buckle if you need that too.
But there are plenty of excellent leather strap makers out there. Hirsch comes to mind; affordable, and available is so many styles you are bound to find something you like.
Good luck
OrangeKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 12:42 PM   #3
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Grandad’s omega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ds1980 View Post
Although I can’t post links or photos of it! Any help on how to do this appreciated.

You are allowed to upload photos.
The instructions are in a sticky called posting pictures.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=542067

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 04:29 PM   #4
Ds1980
"TRF" Member

Tried that. Says I need 10 posts. Perhaps I’ll keep replying?
Old 16 May 2021, 04:30 PM   #5
Ds1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeKenny View Post
Sounds like a nice piece, though I’m not versed enough to understand those numbers. A photo will be very helpful.
I believe you need to post a few more times before you are allowed to upload photos.

As for straps, Omega themselves sell excellent leather straps, and will be able to match a suitable buckle if you need that too.
But there are plenty of excellent leather strap makers out there. Hirsch comes to mind; affordable, and available is so many styles you are bound to find something you like.
Good luck
Thanks. Will have a look. It has a lovely 9ct gold original buckle. 👍🏼
Old 16 May 2021, 06:36 PM   #6
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
... Needs a new strap. Could anyone also guide on where I might find something that suits...

... various markings on inside of the back once removed. Ta
For straps, you likely will find nice ones you can order via the web. Camille Fournet makes straps of high quality that are suitable to your Omega. The size you probably need is 18mm wide where the strap attaches to the case of the watch, but I recommend you measure that dimension of the case in order to be sure. The regular length of 115mm/75mm (for the two individual pieces of the strap) is probably fine, but a longer size will be needed for wrists approaching 200mm: https://www.camillefournet.com/en/38...her-watch-band

Hirsch is an Austrian maker of quality straps, and you'll find those available at local retailers dealing good watches.

The markings inside the back of the case hold the key to which model you have. Omega watches from that period typically are identified by a five-digit "Reference Number", usually beginning with a 1. That number will be useful to researching details about the watch.

Sounds like a cool watch. Glad to hear it might continue to serve on your wrist
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 07:50 PM   #7
Ds1980
"TRF" Member

Great thanks that’s really helpful. I have small wrists! On the gold back it says A.L.D think that’s the maker Dennison?

Then 969
Then 62879

One more post and I’ll post the pic. It’s a lovely watch and it will definitely be used and kept in the family. The service was done by a trusted technician so hopefully it’ll be good for many more years.

It also has 297 scratched below the made in England and omega triangle emblem.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/sR7V594

Hopefully that works. It has a 268 movement I think it’s called a sub seconds dial?

Clasp

https://postimg.cc/Mf8kk288

Last edited by Tools; 17 May 2021 at 01:28 AM..
Old 17 May 2021, 01:11 AM   #8
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Denison is an English watch case maker.
Which I kind of assumed it was going to be due to the 9 karat case.
Not an uncommon practice for them to send movements to England where they were cased.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 01:31 AM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Tried that. Says I need 10 posts. Perhaps I’ll keep replying?
Anybody can attach a photo if it meets the size requirements.

10 realistic posts are required to post links to help keep spammers from inserting spam and malware. Not much different from banging a bunch of garbage posts to up the count.
Old 17 May 2021, 08:19 PM   #10
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Great thanks that’s really helpful. I have small wrists! On the gold back it says A.L.D think that’s the maker Dennison?

Then 969
Then 62879

One more post and I’ll post the pic. It’s a lovely watch and it will definitely be used and kept in the family. The service was done by a trusted technician so hopefully it’ll be good for many more years.

It also has 297 scratched below the made in England and omega triangle emblem.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/sR7V594

Hopefully that works. It has a 268 movement I think it’s called a sub seconds dial?

Clasp

https://postimg.cc/Mf8kk288
Wow, cool watch! It's possible the 297 etched into the case-back represents the date it was serviced (February of 1997), but it looks more carefully done than the way most watchmakers make service notations. The 62879 marking is the reference number. I think Omega has a vintage watch database buried deep in its web site somewhere, so I'll have a look and see if I can find it.

I think that model is somewhat scarce and desirable, and to have all of the original packaging and provenance is remarkable.

Really lovely, and it's nice to know it was passed to someone who will wear it, cherish it, and continue the proper care it deserves
Old 17 May 2021, 08:32 PM   #11
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Omega's service for certificates of origin:

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/c...s-and-extracts
Old 18 May 2021, 02:51 AM   #12
Ds1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Wow, cool watch! It's possible the 297 etched into the case-back represents the date it was serviced (February of 1997), but it looks more carefully done than the way most watchmakers make service notations. The 62879 marking is the reference number. I think Omega has a vintage watch database buried deep in its web site somewhere, so I'll have a look and see if I can find it.

I think that model is somewhat scarce and desirable, and to have all of the original packaging and provenance is remarkable.

Really lovely, and it's nice to know it was passed to someone who will wear it, cherish it, and continue the proper care it deserves
Thanks for all that. Will have a look. Re-examining the 297 I believe it is actually the 29T reference which is on the guarantee documentation at the top. Any more info on it would be great. Thanks.