The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 16 May 2021, 07:57 AM   #1
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Opinions on a dress only watch.

I am thinning the herd down. I am keeping my 300M as my daily wear watch. I want a Omega of some fashion to wear occasionally in more formal settings. I came across this De'Ville at my AD today and really liked the looks of it. Would this make a decent dress watch? Also looking at the AT and Constellation. But this one grabbed me. Please give me your thoughts as "dress watches " are new to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210515_174801.jpg (195.0 KB, 700 views)
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 09:32 AM   #2
TTbluesy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post
I am thinning the herd down. I am keeping my 300M as my daily wear watch. I want a Omega of some fashion to wear occasionally in more formal settings. I came across this De'Ville at my AD today and really liked the looks of it. Would this make a decent dress watch? Also looking at the AT and Constellation. But this one grabbed me. Please give me your thoughts as "dress watches " are new to me.

I like it, but if your seeking a “dress watch” it should probably be on leather?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TTbluesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 09:34 AM   #3
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT

I think it varies from individual to individual.

Since I work from home all the time now, a dress watch has become significantly less important to me. Plus, I live in Florida now, I have a pool that’s open all year round, and I’m 20 minutes from the beach.

If I still went into the office every day, I think I’d definitely add a dress watch.

However, for my current situation, adding another diver might make more sense to me. I have a Submariner and a Speedmaster and I don’t hesitate to wear either with a suit or in more formal situations.

Plus, a Speedmaster on a black leather strap is dressy IMHO!

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 10:36 AM   #4
OrangeKenny
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
I’d go Constellation over DeVille, but that’s personal preference.
Actually I’d go JLC over Omega for a dress watch, but that wasn’t the question.

I agree leather tends to suite dress watches better than metal, particularly steel.

Last edited by OrangeKenny; 16 May 2021 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: Spelling
OrangeKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 11:56 AM   #5
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Thank you for all the replies and suggestions. I hadn't thought about the band. But I agree. I may see if it comes on leather. If not, I could always buy it on a bracelet and add a leather strap.
Old 16 May 2021, 12:08 PM   #6
TTbluesy
Banned

How dressy do you need to be?

I love the speedmaster racing on leather..

TTbluesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 12:13 PM   #7
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
1940s Omega

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
scarlet knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 06:05 PM   #8
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:

This is a bit sparkly for me, however I should add here that I don’t really do ‘dress’.
ratty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 06:06 PM   #9
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
1940s Omega

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Beautiful and classy to my eye.

Very nice.
ratty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 06:58 PM   #10
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
I recommend having a look at the De Ville Tresor. Mine was in a steel case with a silvered dial. It went in trade for an IWC about a year ago, but I miss it and now I think I should have kept it:

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...43513402102001

The Aqua Terra and Constellation both have a character that I call "sporty elegance". There are some new constellation models available now that I find appealing, such as this one:

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...13133412106001

Until lately, I held the opinion that an Aqua Terra didn't work well on a strap. Then I purchased a blue alligator strap and deployant clasp from Omega for my Aqua Terra, and I haven't put the bracelet back on it since

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 10:24 PM   #11
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am a fan of the Tresor on an alligator strap. It has a classy look to me and is somewhat retro. A lot of good choices from Omega. I like JLC but depending on how you are buying, new or used, the price is present and though you can get a good deal pre-owned be ready for service costs and time away for the watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 11:38 PM   #12
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

I don't think it matters which watch is worn with what attire - as long as it's not overly ridiculous. I see many sports models on dress attitude, usually a Rolex. So an Omega diver or Speedy is just fine.

I once owned this - wore it maybe 10 times over many years before I sold it on.

If I was to buy an Omega dress watch, it would be an Aqua Terra (a bit of a hybrid between dress and sports) or any DeVille with the armadillo bracelet
Old 17 May 2021, 05:02 AM   #13
JBoone
"TRF" Member

The tresor looks really nice. I really like the small seconds grey dial.
I don’t like gold watches so the stainless appeals to me.

Don’t think I would wear it much though even in the office.
JBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 04:09 PM   #14
Crunchie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
The Tresor in post 10 is the one!

Beautiful, subtle, and elegant.

I must admit if I was looking for a dress watch fit very infrequent wear, I’d probably go for something cheaper like a nice Oris. If you really want an Omega, though, it’s the Tresor or a nice vintage for me.

Edited to (hopefully) add a photo of a nice Oris Atelier chronometer, £1,400 in the UK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 47B8EBA7-643F-475E-9E91-36466C63A3F2.jpeg (124.9 KB, 558 views)
Crunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 05:40 PM   #15
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchie View Post
The Tresor in post 10 is the one!

Beautiful, subtle, and elegant.

I must admit if I was looking for a dress watch fit very infrequent wear, I’d probably go for something cheaper like a nice Oris. If you really want an Omega, though, it’s the Tresor or a nice vintage for me.

Edited to (hopefully) add a photo of a nice Oris Atelier chronometer, £1,400 in the UK.

I agree with that line of thinking. If I were going to buy a pure dress watch, I wouldn’t spend a lot of money on one. I’d consider the Nomos Orion 38.

Old 18 May 2021, 01:35 AM   #16
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Formal dinners, award presentations, funerals. Is my intended use. I just don't "feel" right wearing a dive watch to such occasions . Wedding, maybe. I think the Deville's posted here on a strap really hit the mark. Classy appearance. I did look at some AT's as well. Had a 38mm In mind and was shocked to find it appeared so small. Almost tiny if you will. I actually measured it to see if it was in fact 38mm. I would of bet money it would measured 34mm. But the 41 AT on a strap is very nice as well. Especially the white dial with blackened markers and the Black dial with polished markers. So I have narrowed to 3. Still flipping coins! Thinking, doing the "what if's".

Last edited by DJ2020; 18 May 2021 at 01:48 AM.. Reason: add on
Old 19 May 2021, 04:07 AM   #17
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I am a fan of the Tresor on an alligator strap. It has a classy look to me and is somewhat retro. A lot of good choices from Omega. I like JLC but depending on how you are buying, new or used, the price is present and though you can get a good deal pre-owned be ready for service costs and time away for the watch.
I like the Tresor on a strap as well. But I noticed your white dial 300M with the black bezel, and TrippinJimmy's Speedmaster. I wonder if it matters much with it being under the cuff. Yours and Jimmy's watch's are stunning. I think my reducing down to a couple watches was a dumb idea maybe. There is some beautiful Omega's posted here.
Old 19 May 2021, 05:46 AM   #18
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
My opinion won't be popular here, but for a more formal/dressy watch get a Rolex.

I own several Omega watches and love them all. But I don't think Omega makes anything approaching the Day Date or Datejust lines. They are gorgeous watches. All the watches above are great, but I think I'd take a Datejust 41 over any of 'em
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 06:27 AM   #19
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Tressor. I like rg with grey dial brown strap
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 06:40 AM   #20
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Fair point above...to me, a "dress" watch is on leather, but the pic you posted is on a bracelet. Are you looking for something on leather or a bracelet, or a chameleon.

For a cheaper version, I've liked the Seiko Presage, white enamel dial with black romans and blue hands, but I'm also a big fan of the Nomos Orion as well.

Out of your narrowed down three, I'd pick the black AT - most versatile of the bunch and a stunner in person!
trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 06:54 AM   #21
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinjimmy View Post
Fair point above...to me, a "dress" watch is on leather, but the pic you posted is on a bracelet. Are you looking for something on leather or a bracelet, or a chameleon.

For a cheaper version, I've liked the Seiko Presage, white enamel dial with black romans and blue hands, but I'm also a big fan of the Nomos Orion as well.

Out of your narrowed down three, I'd pick the black AT - most versatile of the bunch and a stunner in person!
Yes, I looked at that one as well. And I'm leaning towards it pretty hard. I have had several Rolex's. I had a beautiful DJ2 blue with jubilee and fluted bezel. It never felt right. Lugs to long maybe. Kept it for a couple of years and sold it. Tried a 36DJ(my 5th)(new) nightmare... won't get into that. After that I have never looked at another..... for now anyway.
Old 19 May 2021, 10:44 AM   #22
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Yes, I looked at that one as well. And I'm leaning towards it pretty hard. I have had several Rolex's. I had a beautiful DJ2 blue with jubilee and fluted bezel. It never felt right. Lugs to long maybe. Kept it for a couple of years and sold it. Tried a 36DJ(my 5th)(new) nightmare... won't get into that. After that I have never looked at another..... for now anyway.
I also have a DJII. If you haven't tried the DJ41 give it a try before you decide on something. Fits substantially different than the II. Smaller, thinner, and more comfortable. It's about 1.5mm smaller in diameter. L2L reduced too and now on a wider bracelet which gives is a little better balance. And the jubilee is just butter smooth. Worth a shot and obviously it is a gorgeous watch.

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2021, 02:17 AM   #23
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

I love that Deville, but I would prefer it on a strap for a dressier look. I also prefer my dress watches to not have a date, but it's not a deal-breaker. As someone else mentioned, JLC would be my preference over Omega in the dress watch department, however, that DeVille is quite nice. I have handled it in person and came close to buying.

I should note, I also love the AT (38mm, black or silver dial) but I personally do not consider it a "dress" watch, but an excellent "everyday" watch rather, and I feel the same about the Datejust. Both great watches that could do the duties of a dress watch in a pinch, but not better than the DeVille or a JLC, etc.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2021, 02:32 AM   #24
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
personally not a fan of the date window, prefer a time only option for dress.

though AC or PC could do, just not a fan of the date window. also if the date window is a must then consideration of the placement and size of the date window becomes relevant.
Old 21 May 2021, 04:45 AM   #25
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

+1 for Tresor
Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2021, 06:03 AM   #26
motiontimers
Banned

Quote:
I like the watch but for a dress watch a leader strap will be fine.
motiontimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2021, 08:07 AM   #27
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

I see that I should visit my AD again with all the input I have received. I will keep the strap option in mind as I'm looking. I am thinking that it would work with a bracelet, the right one though. The DJ 41 Jimmy suggested is a really good example. I may revisit the constellation, AT, Deville, DJ41 and I'm adding the Rolex Cenelli to my list of potentials.
Old 1 June 2021, 09:09 PM   #28
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Formal dinners, award presentations, funerals. Is my intended use. I just don't "feel" right wearing a dive watch to such occasions .
That seems to me like overthinking. But perhaps it depends on social circles. I find most people don't care at all what watch is on someone's wrist, perhaps the occasional watch enthusiast. If anyone is critical of a watch based on attire (unless it's outright ridiculous) I'd say they are a bit snobby.
Old 4 June 2021, 05:27 PM   #29
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousmoose View Post
That seems to me like overthinking. But perhaps it depends on social circles. I find most people don't care at all what watch is on someone's wrist, perhaps the occasional watch enthusiast. If anyone is critical of a watch based on attire (unless it's outright ridiculous) I'd say they are a bit snobby.

Exactly. Although I would say some divers are more appropriate than others. For example, a red and blue Seiko Turtle is pushing it. A black dial Submariner is definitely okay.

A black or blue dial Omega 300 SMP 300 on a bracelet are okay, but a blue dial version on a blue rubber strap is probably not.

A black Longines legend diver is fine, but a yellow Doxa on a yellow rubber strap is definitely not okay.

I could go on and on...

Old 4 June 2021, 10:28 PM   #30
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
I think it varies from individual to individual.

Since I work from home all the time now, a dress watch has become significantly less important to me. Plus, I live in Florida now, I have a pool that’s open all year round, and I’m 20 minutes from the beach.

If I still went into the office every day, I think I’d definitely add a dress watch.

However, for my current situation, adding another diver might make more sense to me. I have a Submariner and a Speedmaster and I don’t hesitate to wear either with a suit or in more formal situations.

Plus, a Speedmaster on a black leather strap is dressy IMHO!

Nice lineup! I ordered a new Speedmaster too

gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote