The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 April 2022, 05:06 AM   #61
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVx2 View Post
It’s appears we finally disagree, lol
There you go! But to be fair I saw a nautilus in person but not the RO. I have heard is pretty impressive on the arm.
Old 18 April 2022, 05:17 AM   #62
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Um….OP…..my answer is no. It’s just not the lane Rolex competes in. It’s Lexus vs Rolls-Royce. Just not really the same.

And side note, if this thread is indicative of anything a lot of people really don’t seem to understand where Rolex sits in the horological pecking order. Most sales? Yep. Most durable? Best? No not really……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2022, 08:45 AM   #63
AL_WatchCurator
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500ln
Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
Um….OP…..my answer is no. It’s just not the lane Rolex competes in. It’s Lexus vs Rolls-Royce. Just not really the same.

And side note, if this thread is indicative of anything a lot of people really don’t seem to understand where Rolex sits in the horological pecking order. Most sales? Yep. Most durable? Best? No not really……

I think it's more of a benz vs RR thing. There's always S class which is the Cellini vs Patek/AP dress watch. Even now, RR is coming out with SUV just like how AP/PP wanted a piece of the sports watch pie.
AL_WatchCurator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2022, 07:13 PM   #64
Omarion07
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Its very difficult to beat Patek and AP at their own game. Rolex will need more skilled watchmakers and technicians to manufacture these types of watches with decorated movements, sapphire caseback, higher degree of hand-finishing on cases, bracelets and movements, and more interesting dials.

As many have already highlighted, Rolex is already the marker leader in revenue. They don't need to compete in that Nautilus/Royal Oak arena, unless it's for diversifying their product portfolio or for increasing their margin. That said, if I want to buy a Nautilus or Royal Oak type of watches, I will go directly to Patek or AP.

Or they can just buy Artisans de Genève.. They’ll do all the things you’ve mentioned.

Omarion07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2022, 09:51 PM   #65
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
Though it would be cool if Rolex released a modern iteration of the oysterquartz design
Agreed, or even a modern day version of the 5100 Texan.
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2022, 09:53 PM   #66
sxdcfv911
"TRF" Member

Simply by moving more into precious metals and full bracelet, Rolex can compete in pricing. Rolex could offer a Limited Editions of GMT and/or Daytona which would command retail over 6 figures I would think. But I agree with earlier comment, Rolex is already the King, hence the crown.
sxdcfv911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2022, 09:57 PM   #67
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxdcfv911 View Post
Simply by moving more into precious metals and full bracelet, Rolex can compete in pricing. Rolex could offer a Limited Editions of GMT and/or Daytona which would command retail over 6 figures I would think. But I agree with earlier comment, Rolex is already the King, hence the crown.
Wow this is not what AP or PP represent, how they differentiate, or what they stand for. Do you really think its just about PM and price? No wonder so many Rolex fanboys can't make the move up.
Old 18 April 2022, 10:05 PM   #68
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
If the OP is only talking about introducing a Gerald Genta integrated bracelet style design, then I think many of you are getting carried away.

Gerard Perragaux, Zenith, Tissot and even Tudor have such models.

No need to start talking about how superior AP/PP are to Rolex…

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2022, 10:43 PM   #69
desertwanderer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cszy67 View Post
Thank you all for your comments. This was more of a mental exercise for me and I wondered how others would view the possibility.

I have been loving Rolex since the early 90s and although I am unable to explain in detail...there is just something about Rolex that set's them apart.

It was just a passing though...if Rolex decided to attack AP and PP what would this new Rolex model look like? Would they fall back and rest on history our would they spring forward and produce a leading design that would virtually decimate all others? Again, they are in the drivers seat but that alone has not shut off their creative spirit.

Personally, I think it would be really cool if Rolex did release something along those lines since a third competitor would bring perfect balance to the AP and PP struggle. I would naturally want to own one of each. A new triad for collectors and lovers of precision mechanical time pieces.
You are forgetting that there is already a third competitor to AP/PP in fact they are even named as part of the 'holy trinity' ie Vacheron. VC also have a Genta style watch in the Overseas which is currently running a waiting list of a couple of years in most markets and selling for 3x list.
Old 18 April 2022, 10:51 PM   #70
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Out View Post
Rolex is in their own lane. Period. AP/Patek are as well.
Simple and to the point
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 02:54 AM   #71
cszy67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
If the OP is only talking about introducing a Gerald Genta integrated bracelet style design, then I think many of you are getting carried away.
For further clarification, I am discussing an entirely new case and bracelet. Possible a polygonal or nonagonal shaped case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertwanderer View Post
You are forgetting that there is already a third competitor to AP/PP in fact they are even named as part of the 'holy trinity' ie Vacheron.
Although I can imagine Rolex surpassing AP and PP with a new design, competing with Vacheron Constantin would be futile.
cszy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 03:10 AM   #72
dismail
"TRF" Member

Like other users have similarly suggested, it’s like comparing Mercedes to a Rolls Royce/Bentley.

The Mercedes’ will have better durability, sell higher volumes, and appeal to a larger crowd for years to come. However the Bentley and Rolls command a completely different presence and finish. Plus a much higher price tag and lower volume makes the products more exclusive.

You don’t think Patek/AP could sell more watches if they wanted? The demand is insanely high for these brands. There’s not a single sports Patek that doesn’t have a 3-5 year wait time. They purposely only make ~50,000 watches annually as that is part of the exclusivity of their brand.

No offense to Rolex but they manufacture as many as they physically can because they are in a different market segment. Rolex is king of what they do but let’s not kid ourselves in comparing AP/PP/Vacheron with a rolex.
dismail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 03:16 AM   #73
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
A new OQ would cause a stir. I always found the DD40 to be a fitting competition to the RO and PP nautilus. Not the same of course but both fringe sports watches in the same price range (msrp). One gets you a chunk of gold and bank vault construction the other fine casework and movement finishing.
Old 19 April 2022, 03:16 AM   #74
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by dismail View Post
Like other users have similarly suggested, it’s like comparing Mercedes to a Rolls Royce/Bentley.

The Mercedes’ will have better durability, sell higher volumes, and appeal to a larger crowd for years to come. However the Bentley and Rolls command a completely different presence and finish. Plus a much higher price tag and lower volume makes the products more exclusive.

You don’t think Patek/AP could sell more watches if they wanted? The demand is insanely high for these brands. There’s not a single sports Patek that doesn’t have a 3-5 year wait time. They purposely only make ~50,000 watches annually as that is part of the exclusivity of their brand.

No offense to Rolex but they manufacture as many as they physically can because they are in a different market segment. Rolex is king of what they do but let’s not kid ourselves in comparing AP/PP/Vacheron with a rolex.
Great comparison. I agree, and at the same time love our Mercedes’ and my Rolex’s.
Old 19 April 2022, 03:36 AM   #75
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
A new OQ would cause a stir. I always found the DD40 to be a fitting competition to the RO and PP nautilus. Not the same of course but both fringe sports watches in the same price range (msrp). One gets you a chunk of gold and bank vault construction the other fine casework and movement finishing.
This

The RO and Nautilus are two iconic styles within their respective portfolios- the DD is the iconic Rolex, ( yes more than the Daytona). They are the watches that pop into your visual brain parts when most think of timepieces that represent the brand.

If you're talking purely about integrated bracelet/case design, then Rolex, as others have pointed out, already been there, done that.
Old 19 April 2022, 03:47 AM   #76
Vesper Lynd
Banned

It should not and is not their LEAGUE. Besides, he doesn't need it.
Vesper Lynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 07:04 AM   #77
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Right, bet the folks in the Porsche board room are saying as a business they need to figure out how to compete against Aston Martin. Love AM, but different business leagues.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 09:19 AM   #78
Gary Busey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Rolex is a “bro” brand now.
They occupy a space that no one can touch.
No upside in doing that

Doxa Sub 200, SKX009
Aquastar Deepstar
Gary Busey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 10:15 AM   #79
rallyx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Holly's Lady DJ
I think the question should be, "Can AP and PP compete with Rolex on accuracy and movement robustness?".
Old 19 April 2022, 10:16 AM   #80
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Bro, you're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Busey View Post
Rolex is a “bro” brand now.
They occupy a space that no one can touch.
No upside in doing that

SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 12:42 PM   #81
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

The only reason Rolex is even compared with Patek and AP is due to the hype that is going on.

Horologically, Rolex is not in the same universe as Patek and AP.

Just like AP and Patek cannot really compete with Rolex toughness. Rolex's ability to mass produce an accurate, reliable, and super tough line of watches is their specialty.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 12:53 PM   #82
nickorette
"TRF" Member

They already do have a highly desirable and impossible to get stainless steel sports watch icon with a long history that sells for multiple times over MSRP at retail, it's called the Daytona.
IWC: Portuguese Min. Repeater, Pilot 36, Pallweber RG, Vintage Pilot's, Ingenieur Patek: 5098P, 5738R, 5120G, 5172G JLC: Reverso Classic, Duomètre, Polaris Memovox 50th, MUTM Enamel AP: 15450 Lange: Lange 1, Copper Blue, Richard Lange, 1815 Up/Down Rolex: 116000, 116520, 126655, 124060, 116505, 228238 Panerai: Luminor 676 Omega: Aqua Terra, SM 300, Museum N°10, SM 321, CK 859 Cartier: Santos Medium, Tank LC VC: Cornes De Vache, Triple Calendrier, 222, 4300V/120R FPJ: CS LF: Classic Micro Rotor
nickorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 01:04 PM   #83
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
As for Rolex I only care for Explorers and SeaDwellers . I’ve got what I want . Rolex should stay in their lane .
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 01:32 PM   #84
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

To go head to head with the RO and Nautilus is to make a 30k stainless watch. This is problematic because to get to 30k in stainless you would need a
Visible decorated movement, a fancy dial, fancy case. That would be like Rolex saying that Their basic hidden movement isn’t good enough.

I think Rolex does sort of play in this league. They just do it with meteorite GMTs and platinum Daytonas.
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 02:43 PM   #85
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

They already do to me. Also actually make an attractive watch.
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 06:42 PM   #86
Donkos
Banned

Watch: Rolex Hulk
Its never been.
Donkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 09:56 PM   #87
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
As a watch brand Rolex doesn’t compete with anyone. They don’t have to. Their branding is unique in the world of horology. Ask yourself What other watch brand could get away with exhibition models in ADs that you can’t purchase and yet still flourish.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 10:39 PM   #88
sathwik
Banned

Watch: 116506A
Royal oak and nautilus are what AP and PP have to compete with Rolex (sales and demand)
sathwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2022, 11:09 AM   #89
Arthur Daley
"TRF" Member

I enjoy/own Rolex and Patek, but the former will never directly compete with the latter IMHO: production volume is too high, level of finishing is too low, and - on a relative basis - there's a night and day difference in pedigree/heritage. This is ALL relative.

In car terms, it's like comparing a Mercedes (Rolex) to a Rolls-Royce (Patek). Of course, Rolex could introduce a Maybach of their own... but I think there's a reason you see more Rolls-Royces on the road vs Maybachs. And a different reason still for why you see more Mercedes vs Rolls-Royces.

Again - both are incredible brands, with amazing products. And one (Rolex) is arguably the most sought after and recognized watch brand in the world. Again - that's very much the position Mercedes is in. But Patek - well, they play in a different league, and often targeting a different buyer. As does AP, VC... and some of the smaller independent brands like FPJ.

Again, I enjoy the heck out of Rolex and Patek. They're very different brands, with great products and engineering prowess.

Edit: as some have also pointed out, the toughness of Rolex is not something that Patek is known for. Reinforces the point that they're serving very different segments. It might arguably be easier for Patek to cross into Rolex territory than vice versa. BUT, that's not of interest to Patek: they want to move their higher margin precious metal complications. So as others have said: they're not competitors and likely never will be. They complement each other. Many Patek owners own (or have owned) Rolex.
Arthur Daley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2022, 02:30 PM   #90
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

not on the same playing field