The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 22 July 2011, 05:54 AM   #31
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kirkwood View Post
So serious fellas.
If it was just a little incorrect speculation that got easily corrected, I don't think it would have gone where it did. That sort of thing is par for the course. But what we have here is the result of someone spouting stuff that's incorrect, insisting he is correct, telling everybody else they're wrong for thinking anything else, refusing to back up his assertions when asked, and blatantly disregarding all the documentation that proves him wrong. That tends to ruffle some feathers.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2011, 06:48 AM   #32
rachelb
Banned

My My

Can I ask Is the old PO LM 1948 a better watch to have than the new?
rachelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2011, 08:13 AM   #33
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post

- To date, the original Liquidmetal PO and the new Ti Liquidmetal PO and chrono PO are the only three Omega models to feature Liquidmetal technology.
Sorry, I'll admit I haven't read all the posts in detail, but I'm pretty sure that last part is wrong (or just not 100% clear). I believe the only LM bezels are on the original LM PO and the new Ti LM PO Chrono (blue dial/bezel only), NOT on the new PO chrono (black or orange bezel). The black/orange PO chrono's are simply ceramic bezel.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2011, 10:32 AM   #34
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
Sorry, I'll admit I haven't read all the posts in detail, but I'm pretty sure that last part is wrong (or just not 100% clear). I believe the only LM bezels are on the original LM PO and the new Ti LM PO Chrono (blue dial/bezel only), NOT on the new PO chrono (black or orange bezel). The black/orange PO chrono's are simply ceramic bezel.
The new Liquidmetal bezels are on the original LM PO, and the new Ti Liquidmetal PO (three hand) and Ti Liquidmetal chrono PO. I can see my wording was a little inexact, but when I wrote, "the new Ti Liquidmetal PO and chrono PO," I meant for the "Ti Liquidmetal" to apply both to "PO" and "chrono PO." I did not mean to include the standard PO chrono (black or orange bezel) when I said that. As we've been discussing, all standard POs introduced this year have a non-LM ceramic bezel.
Old 22 July 2011, 11:01 AM   #35
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelb View Post
Can I ask Is the old PO LM 1948 a better watch to have than the new?
I think that's a largely personal choice. First of all, when you say "the new," do you mean the new Liquidmetal edition, or new standard edition with non-LM bezels? Either way, here are some points to consider:

- The old PO LM had the ETA based 2500 movement, same as the standard PO, which by all accounts was very accurate and reliable. It's debatable how much of an improvement the in-house 8500 will be. It has more cachet being in-house, and some people will prefer it for that fact. Some people also believe the 8500 is a superior movement compared to the 2500, but I haven't done enough reading to get a detailed description of why. Improvement or no, it does raise the price a good amount, and increases the thickness of the watch by 1.5mm.

- The old PO LM had a steel case and bracelet, and used pins in the links. It also had a steel caseback. The new standard PO also uses a steel case and bracelet, but now uses screws instead of pins, has a modified clasp, and has a sapphire caseback to display the movement. The new Ti Liquidmetal PO and Ti Liquidmetal chrono PO feature titanium cases and bracelets, and also have sapphire casebacks.

- The old PO LM had a high-gloss Liquidmetal bezel and a complementing glossy ceramic dial. The new standard PO retains the matte dial of the original standard PO, and has a matte ceramic bezel with chromium nitride numbers and scaling. The new Ti Liquidmetal POs keep the high gloss bezel and dial.

- The old PO LM had a black dial and bezel. The Ti LM POs have blue dials and bezels. The new standard POs have dark gray or orange dials and bezels.

- The old PO LM was only available in 42mm, and only as a standard, three-hand watch. The new Ti LM POs are only availalbe in 45.5mm, but are available both as a standard three-hand watch, and as a chronograph. The new standard POs are available both in 42mm and 45.5mm standard three-hand watches, and as a 45.5mm chronograph.

- The original PO LM was the first watch ever to feature Liquidmetal technology, so in some senses it's a historical first. Whether that proves to mean anything in years to come remains to be seen. It was also limited to 1,948 pieces. The new Ti LM POs are the first watches to have Liquidmetal technology in watches containing the in-house Omega movements. I haven't seen any information on whether or not the new Ti LMs are limited editions or not. If somebody has information on that, I would appreciate knowing.

I hope this helps answer your question.
Old 22 July 2011, 02:07 PM   #36
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The new Liquidmetal bezels are on the original LM PO, and the new Ti Liquidmetal PO (three hand) and Ti Liquidmetal chrono PO. I can see my wording was a little inexact, but when I wrote, "the new Ti Liquidmetal PO and chrono PO," I meant for the "Ti Liquidmetal" to apply both to "PO" and "chrono PO." I did not mean to include the standard PO chrono (black or orange bezel) when I said that. As we've been discussing, all standard POs introduced this year have a non-LM ceramic bezel.
Got it.

Regardless of bezel material, I can't wait to get my hands on one of them black bezel'd chrono 9300's...that watch is HOT IMO! I like the blue too (very Omega IMO)...but I'm just not into Ti watches, so black it will be for me.

Omega Chrono's are killer...without a doubt my first love. My SMP Chrono will never leave the stable. I use to own the previous version PO chrono, but it never really did it for me. This update is perfect IMO. Note the squared off teeth of the bezel & pushers...very much a throwback to vintage Omega bezels.

And what's not to like about those two subdials? The minute/hour hand of the chrono is brilliant...I love the fact you can now read the chrono function just like reading the watch time. Sweet!

Old 22 July 2011, 02:18 PM   #37
moby33
"TRF" Member

Anyone else notice how on the black chrono the 12 is both red/orange and silver...depending on what picture/video you watch. The omega website has both versions, but I highly doubt they will make two watch dials. I'm curious to see which one actually makes it to production. I'm pulling for the red numeral...I kind of like how it ties in with the minute hand on the chrono. But somehow I bet it will only show up on the orange bezel version.
Old 22 July 2011, 05:56 PM   #38
rachelb
Banned

Po lm

Thanks you for your reply. I note what you say

"The original PO LM was the first watch ever to feature Liquidmetal technology, so in some senses it's a historical first".

In my opinion "first" may make it the one to have in the years ahead.
rachelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2011, 09:39 PM   #39
Walton

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
Anyone else notice how on the black chrono the 12 is both red/orange and silver...depending on what picture/video you watch. The omega website has both versions, but I highly doubt they will make two watch dials. I'm curious to see which one actually makes it to production. I'm pulling for the red numeral...I kind of like how it ties in with the minute hand on the chrono. But somehow I bet it will only show up on the orange bezel version.
They aren't "making" 2 different dials, they are just applying a different color "12" to it. It's probably more practical then painting the numbers on the dial.
Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2011, 12:41 AM   #40
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelb View Post
In my opinion "first" may make it the one to have in the years ahead.
It could, but in my opinion it's generally a mistake to buy a watch solely with any eye to its collectability. Very few watches become collectible to the point of offsetting their built-in depreciation. The smart money says buy the watch you like and will want to wear.

Having said that, if it were me, I'd probably go with the original LM PO anyway, since, out of all the PO options, it has the most of what I'm looking for. I still have yet to see a more gorgeous PO. The tricky part might be finding one BNIB. I don't know what their availability is.
Old 23 July 2011, 03:48 AM   #41
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walton View Post
They aren't "making" 2 different dials, they are just applying a different color "12" to it. It's probably more practical then painting the numbers on the dial.
Obviously. I may be slow, but I'm not dumb!

My point was one of the options (be it red or silver numeral) is obviously a pre-production error that is still showing up on their website. My question had to do w/ which is the 'true' color that will show up on the black dial/bezel chrono...and the only way we'll get the answer is when the watch finally shows up in the wild.
Old 23 July 2011, 04:02 AM   #42
Captain Kirkwood
"TRF" Member

I actually did not notice at first that these have the coin edge bezel similar to the 42 mm PO. I much prefer the scalloped bezel on the 45 mm PO. It's a shame. My theory is that if I keep finding super picky nits with these, I will be less tempted to buy one.
Captain Kirkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2011, 06:07 AM   #43
00Seven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega
All I know is, I can't wait for the new 8500 PO's to come in. I really think Omega hit it out of the park w/ this one. Just talked to my AD today and he said the latest ETA for the watch is Mid-August to early-September now...although he did say that could change tomorrow.
00Seven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2011, 08:07 AM   #44
Captain Kirkwood
"TRF" Member

Just received notice from the Tysons Corner, VA Boutique that they received three of the new models today. Guess I'll be swinging by there this weekend.
Old 23 July 2011, 08:13 AM   #45
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Just received notice from the Tysons Corner, VA Boutique that they received three of the new models today. Guess I'll be swinging by there this weekend.
Be sure to take pictures if they let you. Ditto that with SMPs, if they have any.
Old 23 July 2011, 11:52 AM   #46
JacksonStone
Banned

Omega has the new POs up on their website. The home page has a fun interactive rendering of the chronograph, and a special section gives some details on the new models, although they don't mention the Liquidmetal versions. (The video does show some pictures of the LM three hand, though.) A few things of note:

- The matte orange bezels are aluminum, not ceramic. Evidently, only the black bezels are ceramic (not including the blue LM bezels, or the blue ceramic bezel on the new SMP).

- Omega is still calling the bezels "black," despite the fact the pictures show them as a dark slate gray.

- In addition to matte orange aluminum or matte black ceramic, the 42mm PO will also be available with a SS bezel encrusted with 42 diamonds totaling 2.69 carats. Because we all know how important it is to be blinged up when we're 600m under water.
Old 23 July 2011, 12:49 PM   #47
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:

- In addition to matte orange aluminum or matte black ceramic, the 42mm PO will also be available with a SS bezel encrusted with 42 diamonds totaling 2.69 carats. Because we all know how important it is to be blinged up when we're 600m under water.
Yeah, I've been checking their website every other day since Basel...I was thrilled to see the new models finally appear a few days ago.

I couldn't believe those diamond bezel's...ridiculous IMO and I laughed at the sight of them. Seriously...there's really a market for that??? To each his/her own I guess, but that's the last option I would think a PO buyer would be looking for in their new watch!
Old 23 July 2011, 05:51 PM   #48
JacksonStone
Banned

Re-reading the Omega website, I see I got a couple details confused about which bezels are available on which models. Here's the corrected info, quoted directly from their website.
- PO chronos will have "bezels offered either in matt orange aluminium or matt black ceramic and matt black dials."
- PO 45.5mm will have "bezels in orange matt aluminium, matt black ceramic or with a stainless steel bezel paved with 42 diamonds totalling 2.69 carats."
- PO 42mm will be "available with a broad selection of bezels including matt orange aluminium, black ceramic, or white ceramic."
Sorry for any confusion.
Old 28 July 2011, 05:52 AM   #49
Captain Kirkwood
"TRF" Member

So the salesman wouldn't let me take any pictures. He said it was company policy. Said he had seen the pictures floating around on the net but was not sure how anyone was able to snap those photos.

In any event, they did indeed have 3 of the new PO models but it wasn't any of the LM versions. They had three versions of the black dial 45.5 PO. The standard black on black version, the black dial with orange bezel version, and the black on black chrono.

Each had one of the new movements. 8500 for standards and 9300 for chrono (if I recall correctly - correct me if I'm wrong).

Each had an aluminum bezel. The orange bezel did not appear at a glance to be any different than the orange bezel on the prior model. As referenced elsewhere, the black bezels are definitely more grey than the black bezels on the prior model.

The black dial is still matte but it is more sparkly (for lack of a better term) than the prior version. I compared the new model and the prior version side by side and the difference is easily noticeable.

Still seems funny to me having a display back on a diver, but the movement did look quite nice.
Old 28 July 2011, 06:05 AM   #50
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Odd, I thought the black-bezeled version is supposed to be cerramic; this is what Omega has on their site:
http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/pr...r-planet-ocean

Kind of sucks if it's not ceramic, was thinking of selling the CR PO and getting one of these..
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2011, 06:58 AM   #51
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
Odd, I thought the black-bezeled version is supposed to be cerramic...Kind of sucks if it's not ceramic, was thinking of selling the CR PO and getting one of these..
What are you seeing that I'm not? According to what I'm seeing the black bezel is ceramic, and the orange is aluminum. Here's what they say:

"The stunning chronograph has a bold 45.50 mm stainless steel case with a choice of bezels offered either in matt orange aluminium or matt black ceramic and matt black dials."

The 45.5mm non-chrono "is offered with a choice of unidirectional rotating diving bezels in orange matt aluminium, matt black ceramic or with a stainless steel bezel paved with 42 diamonds totalling 2.69 carats!"

The 42mm "is also available with a broad selection of bezels including matt orange aluminium, black ceramic, or white ceramic."
Old 28 July 2011, 07:01 AM   #52
Captain Kirkwood
"TRF" Member

He saw my post, which may have been wrong.

The the salesperson and I agreed the black bezels on these did not look ceramic at all and looked aluminum. He said the ceramic versions would be coming out later. It also took me by surprise because I had read the same literature and thought all of the new black bezels would be ceramic and only the orange bezel would be aluminum. But after re-reading this thread and the Omega press release, maybe the salesperson and I got it wrong and that's just what "matt black ceramic" looks like. If so, I am not impressed with the appearance. It really did not look any different than the aluminum orange bezel.
Old 28 July 2011, 07:03 AM   #53
Captain Kirkwood
"TRF" Member

I gotta say, I'm still confused about these models.

So only the blue Ti PO is going to have a glossy ceramic bezel? What about the blue SMP 300?
Old 28 July 2011, 07:05 AM   #54
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What are you seeing that I'm not?
I was responding to this quote:
Quote:
Each had an aluminum bezel.
You'll recall that I spent no small amount of time posting data on this watch in this thread correcting an earlier poster who was in error, and that, therefore, I'm well aware that the watch is *supposed* to be ceramic, hence my surprise at Captain Kirkwood's post.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
Old 28 July 2011, 07:08 AM   #55
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
He saw my post, which may have been wrong.

The the salesperson and I agreed the black bezels on these did not look ceramic at all and looked aluminum. He said the ceramic versions would be coming out later. It also took me by surprise because I had read the same literature and thought all of the new black bezels would be ceramic and only the orange bezel would be aluminum. But after re-reading this thread and the Omega press release, maybe the salesperson and I got it wrong and that's just what "matt black ceramic" looks like. If so, I am not impressed with the appearance. It really did not look any different than the aluminum orange bezel.
Well, dang, that's what I was afraid of having inspected the photos on the Omega website; was hoping that this was just another case of lousy stock photos, but apparently not! Oh well, I'll see what I think of the watch in person whenever they start hiting the DFW area dealers...
Old 28 July 2011, 08:07 AM   #56
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
So only the blue Ti PO is going to have a glossy ceramic bezel? What about the blue SMP 300?
I've heard reports from people who've seen the new standard POs firsthand who don't like the look of the bezels, saying they look dull. The pictures I've seen of the ceramic SMP indicate the bezel is glossy. This makes sense, since the dial is lacquered and glossy. The dial on the standard POs are matt, so they're evidently making the bezel texture match the dial texture.

All pictures borrowed from the web.
Old 28 July 2011, 08:11 AM   #57
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
I was responding to this quote:

You'll recall that I spent no small amount of time posting data on this watch in this thread correcting an earlier poster who was in error, and that, therefore, I'm well aware that the watch is *supposed* to be ceramic, hence my surprise at Captain Kirkwood's post.
Sorry about that. For some reason, the e-mail notification link brought me in directly on your post, and skipped Captain Kirkwood's. I thought for some reason you were basing your dismay on what Omega was saying on their website. I can see now you were offering Omega's information in response to what the Captain was saying. I remember well the supplementary information you provided earlier, which certainly helped me get a handle one what's going on with the new Omega divers. My response was based on a misunderstanding of what you were saying.
Old 28 July 2011, 08:12 AM   #58
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry about that. For some reason, the e-mail notification link brought me in directly on your post, and skipped Captain Kirkwood's. I thought for some reason you were basing your dismay on what Omega was saying on their website. I can see now you were offering Omega's information in response to what the Captain was saying. I remember well the supplementary information you provided earlier, which certainly helped me get a handle one what's going on with the new Omega divers. My response was based on a misunderstanding of what you were saying.
No problemo man, it's all good!
Old 28 July 2011, 08:35 AM   #59
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've heard reports from people who've seen the new standard POs firsthand who don't like the look of the bezels, saying they look dull. The pictures I've seen of the ceramic SMP indicate the bezel is glossy. This makes sense, since the dial is lacquered and glossy. The dial on the standard POs are matt, so they're evidently making the bezel texture match the dial texture.
Yeah it looks like I may end up passing on this thing, was hoping for more of a polished look on both dial and bezel (of course, that'd make it more of a liquidmetal type, and they obviously want to do that in the chrono only for now...). But maybe in another year or so they'll bring out a higher-end non-chrono PO, dunno...still want to see it in person, but my hopes aren't up right now!
Old 28 July 2011, 10:38 AM   #60
ktmd

Quote:
I gotta say, I'm still confused about these models.
Many of us are, and that is the fault of poor marketing on the part of Omega. If us WISers cannot figure this out, how the heck is an average consumer supposed to? Confused customers and sales staff = less watches sold.
ktmd is offline   Reply With Quote