The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 May 2018, 07:29 AM   #1
digitalcrocodile
"TRF" Member

Why is a Rolex with a "tropical" dial such a valued collectors piece?

Just curious.
digitalcrocodile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 08:04 AM   #2
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
They are rare, unique and often very beautiful.
Old 14 May 2018, 08:22 AM   #3
digitalcrocodile
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
They are rare, unique and often very beautiful.
Can you point me to any literature/posts discussing the chemical process that leads to the "tropical" patina on some Rolex watches and not others? Or, perhaps is nothing known in regard to this?
Old 14 May 2018, 08:30 AM   #4
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalcrocodile View Post
Can you point me to any literature/posts discussing the chemical process that leads to the "tropical" patina on some Rolex watches and not others? Or, perhaps is nothing known in regard to this?
It is basically a color defect. Mostly speculation why this happens but there are often the same type of dials from the same era fading. Why some change color and some don’t no one knows but I’ve heard stories about watches which been used a lot in the sun that later got stored for a long time in the dark. Can’t say if it makes more sense than other ideas but what do I know..

Of course some ”tropical” dials are just normal water damage. The pretty ones are however undamaged with perfect surface and perfect lume.
Old 14 May 2018, 08:59 AM   #5
rollyp
"TRF" Member

Watch: where your hand is

Because someone way back when wanted to get rid of a watch with a dial that turned brown. He couldn't describe the watch as having a 'poo' dial so he came up with an exotic term for it.... tropical!. Somebody believed the hype and bought that watch for a premium and then bragged to his friends how rare and special it was and how much more it cost than a normal colored dial, and next thing you know, those friends went out and looked for poo, I mean, tropical dials and it became a thing.

Just like 'Tiffany' co-branded watches, just like fuchsia GMT inserts, etc.

It's all nonsense.

And we love it.
rollyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 09:05 AM   #6
BigBlue1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: it pal !
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollyp View Post

Because someone way back when wanted to get rid of a watch with a dial that turned brown. He couldn't describe the watch as having a 'poo' dial so he came up with an exotic term for it.... tropical!. Somebody believed the hype and bought that watch for a premium and then bragged to his friends how rare and special it was and how much more it cost than a normal colored dial, and next thing you know, those friends went out and looked for poo, I mean, tropical dials and it became a thing.

It's all nonsense.

And we love it.

Awesome

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
BigBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 09:45 AM   #7
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:

It's all nonsense.

And we love it.
Pretty well sums it up. While there are a few nice tropical dials to be found on vintage Rolex, most are just damaged dials being hyped as "tropical."

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 10:18 AM   #8
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Pretty well sums it up. While there are a few nice tropical dials to be found on vintage Rolex, most are just damaged dials being hyped as "tropical."
Just terrible. I wish they were black.

Old 14 May 2018, 11:21 AM   #9
highcotton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1972 Red Sub
Icon7

“Can you point me to any literature/posts discussing the chemical process that leads to the "tropical" patina ”

This reads like “Can you help me try re-create this in the laboratory so I can make lots of money”

I know that is not what you meant but it is what it sounds like. But then again I am a pessimist.
highcotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 11:45 AM   #10
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
[QUOTE=roh123;8576978]Just terrible. I wish they were black.

And one of mine from a while back. A glossy gilt Datejust that was originally black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_7337sm.jpg (87.4 KB, 844 views)
File Type: jpg Img_7324sm.jpg (79.0 KB, 844 views)
File Type: jpg Img_7292sm.jpg (47.3 KB, 845 views)
File Type: jpg Img_7362sm.jpg (63.6 KB, 843 views)

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 01:05 PM   #11
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
It needs to be mentioned that “tropical” is widely used to describe everything from the slight browning of dials (as pictured above) AND dials that have suffered damage from moisture and degradation of other types. It’s NOT an official term by any standard, and dealers and collectors use the term incredibly loosely.
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 01:05 PM   #12
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just terrible. I wish they were black.

Awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 May 2018, 06:58 PM   #13
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

It's just an extension of being interested in vintage watches (or vintage anything, for that matter). What draws someone to vintage? Ageing, fading, nostalgia, history, projecting romantic stories associated with an item etc. If you appreciate vintage, you'll likely appreciate a naturally evenly faded tropical dial. Faded black-to-brown dials are just another part of that romanticism, as with patina and faded bezel inserts. Many people prefer faded, well-worn denim, or the green 'verdigris' patina on copper and bronze, too.
Old 14 May 2018, 08:04 PM   #14
cpefy3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16014, 16600
Quote:
It is basically a color defect. Mostly speculation why this happens but there are often the same type of dials from the same era fading. Why some change color and some don’t no one knows but I’ve heard stories about watches which been used a lot in the sun that later got stored for a long time in the dark. Can’t say if it makes more sense than other ideas but what do I know..

Of course some ”tropical” dials are just normal water damage. The pretty ones are however undamaged with perfect surface and perfect lume.
It's interesting the "defects" the vintage community accepts and appreciates and those they don't. For instance, a spider dial is seen here as a defect (and not as appreciated); whereas the discoloring defect of the dial is highly sought after.
cpefy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 08:06 PM   #15
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpefy3 View Post
It's interesting the "defects" the vintage community accepts and appreciates and those they don't. For instance, a spider dial is seen here as a defect (and not as appreciated); whereas the discoloring defect of the dial is highly sought after.
One is very beautiful and the other isn’t. Very easy to understand when you hold them in your hand.
Old 14 May 2018, 08:54 PM   #16
cpefy3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16014, 16600
I don't have a proverbial horse in the race, so I could care less. The saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is applicable here. I think those with spider dials could argue their beauty (due to their individualistic nature), just as those who appreciate the aging of tropical dials. Just an observation.
cpefy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 08:59 PM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
I don't have a proverbial horse in the race, so I could care less. The saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is applicable here. I think those with spider dials could argue their beauty (due to their individualistic nature), just as those who appreciate the aging of tropical dials. Just an observation.
Agreed, and this holds true for many things in life
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 09:18 PM   #18
77T

Some speculation surrounds the term tropical because the fading was associated with sunny, warmer climates between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn.

Each dial acquires a level of uniqueness so the owner now has a “one of a kind” dial. And people who like “one of a kind”-ness tend to pay a premium to get one. That defines an aspect of collectibility. Yet the same people wash, wax and polish their fine autos versus letting them go “tropical”

It appears to be something in the paint pigments reacting to years of exposure to strong light. But often other factors have a role - like failed gaskets over the years allowing microbes to enjoy a meal munching on the lacquered dial.

For a little light reading on a crazy example, try this Hodinkee article from a few years back: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...u-will-ever-se

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2018, 12:09 AM   #19
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Basically it was a shitty manufacturing process/defect that people are trying to capitalize on. My Uncle had his dial on his watch replaced 2 times due to this issue in the 80's. The spider dial is another turd people are trying to make bank off of.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2018, 12:12 AM   #20
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
Basically it was a shitty manufacturing process/defect that people are trying to capitalize on. My Uncle had his dial on his watch replaced 2 times due to this issue in the 80's. The spider dial is another turd people are trying to make bank off of.

As the article stated, “Serious Rolex collectors are a strange bunch. “

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2018, 12:15 AM   #21
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
As the article stated, “Serious Rolex collectors are a strange bunch. “

Eccentric is a better term.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2018, 06:02 AM   #22
digitalcrocodile
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
“Can you point me to any literature/posts discussing the chemical process that leads to the "tropical" patina ”

This reads like “Can you help me try re-create this in the laboratory so I can make lots of money”

I know that is not what you meant but it is what it sounds like. But then again I am a pessimist.
LOL. No, I'm not interested in doing that!
Old 15 May 2018, 06:03 AM   #23
digitalcrocodile
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
It's just an extension of being interested in vintage watches (or vintage anything, for that matter). What draws someone to vintage? Ageing, fading, nostalgia, history, projecting romantic stories associated with an item etc. If you appreciate vintage, you'll likely appreciate a naturally evenly faded tropical dial. Faded black-to-brown dials are just another part of that romanticism, as with patina and faded bezel inserts. Many people prefer faded, well-worn denim, or the green 'verdigris' patina on copper and bronze, too.
Old 15 May 2018, 06:05 AM   #24
digitalcrocodile
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Some speculation surrounds the term tropical because the fading was associated with sunny, warmer climates between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn.

Each dial acquires a level of uniqueness so the owner now has a “one of a kind” dial. And people who like “one of a kind”-ness tend to pay a premium to get one. That defines an aspect of collectibility. Yet the same people wash, wax and polish their fine autos versus letting them go “tropical”

It appears to be something in the paint pigments reacting to years of exposure to strong light. But often other factors have a role - like failed gaskets over the years allowing microbes to enjoy a meal munching on the lacquered dial.

For a little light reading on a crazy example, try this Hodinkee article from a few years back: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...u-will-ever-se

Thanks! Interesting article.
Old 15 May 2018, 11:04 AM   #25
Frogman4me
Banned

Handle a nice example in the sun and you will see why. It is a beauty to look at! :)
Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 01:50 AM   #26
butehuk
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It's all nonsense.

And we love it.
funny but true to me lol
butehuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 02:25 AM   #27
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
I have the most beautiful tropical dial on my MK2 DRSD , I never understood the fascination until I found this PP MK2 ,it’s lovely caramel colour
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 02:42 AM   #28
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman4me View Post
Handle a nice example in the sun and you will see why. It is a beauty to look at! :)
This. Just judging from pictures does not necessarily do them justice. Just the same as with glossy gilt dials. If you haven’t seen a great one live you will probably not understand.
Old 21 May 2018, 12:53 AM   #29
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The "spider dial" could be a week away from having all the paint peel off the dial, leaving you nothing.
The "tropical" dial is still in a stable state.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 12:57 AM   #30
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

My personal opinion, largely because it was easier for the majority of buyers to tell that the dial was original, in comparison to a mint dial.

And it still is attractive.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote