The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 May 2018, 02:40 PM   #1
t0tor0
"TRF" Member

Getting a Vintage Rolex Day-Date

I am looking for a vintage day-date. Though I have own several watches, I have no experience in looking out of vintage watches.

What should I look out for when hunting for one? Seems like chrono24 is offer the most selection. Any tips on buying vintage watches online?

Can anyone advise me some good sites to learn more especially relating to Day-Date?

Thanks!!!
t0tor0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 09:19 PM   #2
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
A vintage DD is probably the only Vintage that has very little interest to me. Not having a quickest day or date feature would drive me mad. 1803 is non qs day or date, 18038 has a quickset date I believe and not day and I believe the 18238 was the first double quickset model but I could be wrong. The search function on the forum here can be your friend. And posting pictures of prospective watches will enable you to gather the opinions of the forum at least.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 09:35 PM   #3
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

It might be a good idea to find a trustworthy vintage dealer to guide you in this purchase as there are many things yet to learn for you. A good dealer can save you from expensive mistakes and make your first vintage experience a good one.

Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 10:05 PM   #4
nikanarani
"TRF" Member

Watch: is on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
It might be a good idea to find a trustworthy vintage dealer to guide you in this purchase as there are many things yet to learn for you. A good dealer can save you from expensive mistakes and make your first vintage experience a good one.

Never seen that before. Wonderful
nikanarani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 12:19 AM   #5
BigBlue1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: it pal !
I am on the hunt for one as well. I too am looking for a 1803 and am not sure if I won’t a WG model or a YG model.

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
BigBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 01:32 AM   #6
Chronocrass
"TRF" Member

Quote:

What a unique and beautiful watch! Would you mind sharing the reference number?
Chronocrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 01:37 AM   #7
BigBlue1
2024 Pledge Member

I don't know the reference number and have never seen a Day Date like this with a Moon Phase. But I know that these are I believed labled Moon Phase. Rolex is not the only watch maker to use the Moon Phase

RIP Mikey
Old 22 May 2018, 02:08 AM   #8
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Alas gentlemen tis merely a figment of my fevered imagination and an editing program lo those many years ago.

...but a dream. :)
Old 22 May 2018, 02:42 AM   #9
BigBlue1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Alas gentlemen tis merely a figment of my fevered imagination and an editing program lo those many years ago.

I was going to say, definitely a custom piece LOL. I wish it was real. I really do love these and remember these from my childhood on the wrists of some gentlemen, Moon Phases that is.

RIP Mikey
Old 22 May 2018, 02:59 AM   #10
The moose
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue1 View Post
I am on the hunt for one as well. I too am looking for a 1803 and am not sure if I won’t a WG model or a YG model.
I have both...the WG 1803 is just one of Rolexes must stunning watches. It's elegant, sophisticated but yet sporty...the YG one is more blingy and noticeable...like em' both but I don't think any DD beats the 1803 in WG with the pie pan dial and plexi...will try to find some pics and post...
The moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 03:11 AM   #11
The moose
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0tor0 View Post
I am looking for a vintage day-date. Though I have own several watches, I have no experience in looking out of vintage watches.

What should I look out for when hunting for one? Seems like chrono24 is offer the most selection. Any tips on buying vintage watches online?

Can anyone advise me some good sites to learn more especially relating to Day-Date?

Thanks!!!
Some info on Day-dates:

https://www.bobswatches.com/watch-re...e-date-history

I would recommend HQMilton for vintage watches...make sure that the case is not over polished, check the stretch of the bracelet, check service history, check that it's not any signs of water damage to the dial, important that the serial and ref numbers are readable...that's just on the top of my mind...other members can fill in...It would be great if the bracelet and dial is original to the watch as well and not service exchanged parts...but not as necessary on this model as on a vintage sport Rolex or Daytona for instance...
Old 22 May 2018, 03:41 AM   #12
The moose
Banned

WG with silver dial:

WG with matte black dial:

Old 22 May 2018, 04:24 AM   #13
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:

Richard...you devil. You hooked them!!!

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 06:06 AM   #14
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Richard...you devil. You hooked them!!!
I've had a lot of fun with that pic the last 16 years. That pic got me thrown out of ThePurist forum! lol
Old 22 May 2018, 06:11 AM   #15
Woody
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
WG with silver dial:

WG with matte black dial:

Very nice
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 09:49 AM   #16
onthedial
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @onthedial
@t0tor0
The vintage Day-date is a classic. I have a 1970 Ref. 1803 in yellow gold. Personally, I find the gold bracelet is too bling-y so I prefer to wear it on a leather strap (Bulang & Sons "Cognac Brown")...the combo is looks effortlessly cool and sophisticated.
Whichever metal you opt for, try to find one with a strong case...one that hasn't been polished to death.
Old 22 May 2018, 01:14 PM   #17
nikanarani
"TRF" Member

Watch: is on my wrist
Quote:

Got me
nikanarani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 03:54 PM   #18
omitohud
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've had a lot of fun with that pic the last 16 years. That pic got me thrown out of ThePurist forum! lol

I really believed you were going to be banned by TRF or at least your post deleted. Lol. Hopefully no one in the future use your picture to tell everyone rolex made moonphase watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 09:12 PM   #19
t0tor0
"TRF" Member

Is there a wide boy linen dial day date 1803?
t0tor0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 10:01 PM   #20
BDL
2024 Pledge Member

Love mine.

BDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 01:10 AM   #21
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda160 View Post
A vintage DD is probably the only Vintage that has very little interest to me. Not having a quickest day or date feature would drive me mad. 1803 is non qs day or date, 18038 has a quickset date I believe and not day and I believe the 18238 was the first double quickset model but I could be wrong. The search function on the forum here can be your friend. And posting pictures of prospective watches will enable you to gather the opinions of the forum at least.
I'm with you here. I looked at non-quick and single-quick (date only) models and decided I had to have a double quick.

From 1991, so "vintage" enough for me with the same setting functions as a 2018:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171214_082306_resized.jpg (223.8 KB, 558 views)
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 01:35 AM   #22
dbhak22
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ♛
OP, the DD isn't for everyone but I think it's an iconic model from our favorite brand, :)

I chose the 1803 (vs. 18038 or 18238) because I love the vintage charm the 1803 has and was willing to sacrifice functionality (ie. quicksets). The 1803 has the pie-pan dial, doesn't have the small roman numeral markings on the minute track and of course the acrylic crystal.

Some things to look out for are primarily polishing and bracelet stretch. For polishing, there is the typical thinning and rounding of lugs but also the fluted bezel. I wanted to make sure I found one that was unpolished so nice and 'sharp' versus 'soft' and rounded flute edges.

That being said, here's mine:

Old 23 May 2018, 01:37 AM   #23
anirudh.412
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Maybe this is of use to the OP once he does get his DD. But does anyone know where I can get a strap like this for my 1803? Picture courtesy of Hodinkee, but the lining on the back of the strap does not inspire much confidence. However, the shade of brown (reddish tinge) is the EXACT one I am looking for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Strap.jpg (115.0 KB, 544 views)
anirudh.412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 05:56 AM   #24
adam78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda160 View Post
Actually, an 180X-series DD has a semi-quickset date (toggling between midnight and 9 PM changes it). It isn't really a big deal, and is actually quite fun, to set. To get to the correct day, one can either set the hands forward or back, then you set the date. It takes me a couple of minutes at most to set my 1806.
Old 28 June 2018, 01:22 AM   #25
Willygallardo
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP's - Rolex
Mint
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhak22 View Post
OP, the DD isn't for everyone but I think it's an iconic model from our favorite brand, :)

I chose the 1803 (vs. 18038 or 18238) because I love the vintage charm the 1803 has and was willing to sacrifice functionality (ie. quicksets). The 1803 has the pie-pan dial, doesn't have the small roman numeral markings on the minute track and of course the acrylic crystal.

Some things to look out for are primarily polishing and bracelet stretch. For polishing, there is the typical thinning and rounding of lugs but also the fluted bezel. I wanted to make sure I found one that was unpolished so nice and 'sharp' versus 'soft' and rounded flute edges.

That being said, here's mine:

Willygallardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 03:02 AM   #26
mineral
"TRF" Member

I will recommend the 1803. Love the vintage charm of Rolex

Old 11 July 2018, 02:23 PM   #27
1994Tokyosub
"TRF" Member

Just turned 50. Novice Looking for a 1968 DD.

Just turned 50 and would love to treat myself to a 1803 DD from the year of my birth. I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if I'm asking these questions in the wrong manner/place on the forum.

Can someone give me some advice on what the best approach is to find a quality example of an 1803 of circa 1968 vintage?

Also, I'm not sure of the serial number range for Rolex in 1968. I've see different answers depending on the source. The most consistent one seems to be 2.4M - 2.6M. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.
1994Tokyosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 09:00 PM   #28
BigBlue1
2024 Pledge Member

1803 is a great watch as long as you don’t mind manually winding it and making up for fallback of seconds. I was very close to purchasing a 1803 DD myself. I ever purchased Arabic Date and Date wheels that I still have. I suggest listening to Daniel AKA dbhak22 as far as over polishing and stretch as that would be a deal breaker for me. Don’t just rush in to purchasing a watch till you do your homework. It is in sorts an investment and an expensive commitment.
Good luck in your search, have fun and I wish you the best.

RIP Mikey
Old 11 July 2018, 11:06 PM   #29
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
It's a fabulous reference that looks especially great on a leather/gator strap. That's a good thing, of course, because often you can only find the watch heads because the bracelets often get separated.

As for the OP's original question about how to buy a vintage watch ... homework, homework and more homework, and then buy only from a trusted seller with impeccable references and a good return policy.

I always regret selling my WG '64 1803 several years back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1803 Wristshot.jpg (261.2 KB, 336 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 11:14 PM   #30
BigBlue1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
It's a fabulous reference that looks especially great on a leather/gator strap. That's a good thing, of course, because often you can only find the watch heads because the bracelets often get separated.

As for the OP's original question about how to buy a vintage watch ... homework, homework and more homework, and then buy only from a trusted seller with impeccable references and a good return policy.

I always regret selling my WG '64 1803 several years back.

I have to agree the WG is beautiful

RIP Mikey