The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 21 April 2024, 06:31 PM   #1
Johnyax
"TRF" Member

Ed White 321 buying dilemma

Hi folks,

I’ve been after a Speedmaster Ed White 321 for a few years, the OB says he’s had one in 4 years. Looking at grey prices I can get a new unused one for about £500 over list, which seems reasonable.

The issue is I’m looking at selling both my Explorer 40mm and my Speedmaster 3861 Hesalite to help fund. Way I see it is this price is undervalued currently on secondary market and it’s a grail piece for me. However for that cash I could instead add a new white dial Speedmaster AND keep both my Hesalite Speedmaster and the Explorer, have 3 watches and be in a similar financial position.

Has anyone here done similar and gone all in for the grail watch, was it worth it or any regrets? Any advice would be great!

Thanks
John
Johnyax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 09:25 PM   #2
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Welcome to the Forum

I feel like some grail watches are worth going all-in. For me, the 321 is one of those

Be prepared to miss your Explorer (especially each time you see one in the wild), but you'll sell it for what you paid and then add it back later.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 09:28 PM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum

I personally don’t believe in grail watches. IMHO, you buy each watch thinking it’s the last one, or the be all end all … and in the end, it just becomes another watch in your collection

Some watches are maybe more special than others, but something new always comes along.

In your situation, I’d keep the Rolex, (unless you just don’t wear it) and I’d keep saving for the 321
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 09:46 PM   #4
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the 321 but based on price and the 3861 I can not see putting those funds into the watch. I like the Explorer and 3861 combo and think the addition of the white dial Speedmaster would be a great three watch collection. The 321's have adjusted downward significantly in price and as a grail it is always nice to have something to want. I believe you are giving up too much with the Explorer/Speedy combo to justify the 321. Just my thoughts.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 10:47 PM   #5
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Welcome to the forum

I personally don’t believe in grail watches. IMHO, you buy each watch thinking it’s the last one, or the be all end all … and in the end, it just becomes another watch in your collection

Some watches are maybe more special than others, but something new always comes along.

In your situation, I’d keep the Rolex, (unless you just don’t wear it) and I’d keep saving for the 321
Well said.
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 11:00 PM   #6
Goupax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnyax View Post
Hi folks,

I’ve been after a Speedmaster Ed White 321 for a few years, the OB says he’s had one in 4 years. Looking at grey prices I can get a new unused one for about £500 over list, which seems reasonable.

The issue is I’m looking at selling both my Explorer 40mm and my Speedmaster 3861 Hesalite to help fund. Way I see it is this price is undervalued currently on secondary market and it’s a grail piece for me. However for that cash I could instead add a new white dial Speedmaster AND keep both my Hesalite Speedmaster and the Explorer, have 3 watches and be in a similar financial position.

Has anyone here done similar and gone all in for the grail watch, was it worth it or any regrets? Any advice would be great!

Thanks
John
Why don't you just sell your Explorer and Moonwatch hesalite and add the 321 and white speedmaster instead? Quality over quantity.
Goupax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 12:35 AM   #7
NardinNut
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Do it!! The 321 is next level amazing. I own, or have owned, many Speedmasters, but the 321 is by far the best. Only thing to consider is, will you have another watch for abuse? The 321 is incredible but not a one and done watch. You wouldn’t take it swimming, to the beach, yard work, etc. Maybe keep the Explorer for those things.
NardinNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 08:57 AM   #8
Trogster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
All my watches were 'grail' watches.

In fact, I'm currently on the hunt for my next grail watch.

My rules of engagement.... if I can afford it, I buy it.

I've only regretted the watches I didn't buy.

Trogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 09:05 AM   #9
physicist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Welcome to the Forum

I feel like some grail watches are worth going all-in. For me, the 321 is one of those

Be prepared to miss your Explorer (especially each time you see one in the wild), but you'll sell it for what you paid and then add it back later.
I believe I’ve never seen one in the wild, but it is a great watch.
physicist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 11:58 PM   #10
Johnyax
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies, some very interesting and useful thoughts here! Think I need to find a way to keep the Explorer and add the 321 as and when I can, as quickly as is possible though! I tend to wear my Apple Watch or my G shock for when I know it might get some abuse, I wouldn’t wear any decent watch for that kind of stuff really.
Johnyax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:22 PM   #11
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goupax View Post
Why don't you just sell your Explorer and Moonwatch hesalite and add the 321 and white speedmaster instead? Quality over quantity.
Huh? Are you suggesting the Explorer and the Hesalite Moonwatch are not quality??
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote